Page 1 of 77
... LastLast

Is Classic too easy?

Classic has extremely little content if you're not a raider or a serious PvP:er, however I'm beginning to feel that the content it does have is way too easy. Raids are cleared the first reset by most guilds and then you're back to raid logging for farm raids that are almost as easy as LFR is in retail.
    It doesn't give you a sense of accomplishment and the character progression is extremely slow, with new gear upgrades coming at you about once a month.
    It's starting to feel like, what's the point if there's no challenge?

Let's not kid ourselves, LFR is way harder than any of the Classic raids and that's a hilarious feat in itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    Classic has extremely little content if you're not a raider or a serious PvP:er, however I'm beginning to feel that the content it does have is way too easy. Raids are cleared the first reset by most guilds and then you're back to raid logging for farm raids that are almost as easy as LFR is in retail.
    It doesn't give you a sense of accomplishment and the character progression is extremely slow, with new gear upgrades coming at you about once a month.
    It's starting to feel like, what's the point if there's no challenge?
    PSA: Vanilla was never that challenging, most people just weren't very good at the game yet. And most of the difficulty was artificial, like 'must have X Fire/Nature resistance or die to this mechanic'.

Not sure why this is hard to understand, but 15 years of vastly more complex/difficult raid fights and experience with these classes/specs kind of makes a difference.

As for 'what's the point if there's no challenge' - I don't know, fun maybe? Nostalgia? Enjoying the lore, community/social stuff, etc? If the only way you can enjoy a game is if its difficult, you're playing the wrong version of WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves, LFR is way harder than any of the Classic raids and that's a hilarious feat in itself.
    Right? I understand that people like Classic better but the idea that vanilla was even remotely as difficult as the modern game is a joke.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-02-14 at 03:14 AM.

Welcome to 15 years ago. Those of us who were never delusional enough to believe Classic was difficult in today's age have been telling you this since the day Classic got announced.
    Classic isn't a bad game, and it is fun, but to think it's hard or to play it for the challenge is laughable.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    Sad but true, and unfortunately not something that certain people in the community will accept as a fact and will try to argue with you over this.

"Too easy" compared to what? It's exactly what people wanted, #nochanges. Is it vastly easier than Retail? Yes. So was the original Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    "Too easy" compared to what? It's exactly what people wanted, #nochanges. Is it vastly easier than Retail? Yes. So was the original Vanilla.
    As always, the comparison will be to Retail - and even other mmos to some extent.

Anyone comparing a guild like APES (With multiple R10+ characters, completely min-maxed) to LFR players in retail and claiming that means LFR is harder is unequivocally wrong. Olympus took what, 4 hours to clear BWL? That's about what I'd expect from most people. Few wipes here and there.

Hardest content for hardest content? Absolutely - Mythic raiding is infinitely more difficult. Heroic is most likely more difficult. Maybe even the last 2 bosses of any raid in Normal are more difficult than anything in Vanilla.

The challenge has always been the timesink required to get that best in slot stuff. It's why everyone was so excited for it - they could be better simply by spending more time than their opponent in WoW. It was part of the magic back then. It made less-skilled players feel very skilled because of the amount of time they invested.

Fun Fact: Back when WoW was released, back in the age of FF11 and Everquest, it was considered "The casual MMO".

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Those of us who were never delusional enough to believe Classic was difficult in today's age have been telling you this since the day Classic got announced.
    I feel that the community kinda lied to the players that came in fresh. Classic was painted as this hardcore super difficult game compared to a dumbed down super easy retail when in reality it's the complete opposite. Classes have like two buttons to press if they're lucky and bosses have almost no mechanics.

Unless you're extremely horny for the best gear in the game with as little challenge as possible I can't really see how anyone could enjoy this version of raiding for very long. Struggle is kinda important for things to feel meaningful, even in a video game.

Remember when you were in Kindergarten learning math for the first time? Your classmates and yourself had no real clue what was going on, but collectively you figured it out with the help of your teachers, then you ran home with excitement showing your parents how good you are at adding 1+1.

Imagine going back to Kindergarten 15 years later expecting to be excited about learning how to add again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel that the community kinda lied to the players that came in fresh. Classic was painted as this hardcore super difficult game compared to a dumbed down super easy retail when in reality it's the complete opposite.
    Ahhh... no.

Vanilla WoW was always the casual easy-going MMO compared to those that came before it, and that is exactly why it blew up in popularity the way it did. There's a reason that Wrath (the most casual-friendly the game has ever been) had the biggest player base that the game has ever seen (12+ million people).

It was never some hardcore, difficult thing... and anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Fun Fact: Back when WoW was released, back in the age of FF11 and Everquest, it was considered "The casual MMO".
    Exactly. So many people omit this fact.

I feel that the community kinda lied to the players that came in fresh. Classic was painted as this hardcore super difficult game compared to a dumbed down super easy retail when in reality it's the complete opposite. Classes have like two buttons to press if they're lucky and bosses have almost no mechanics.

Unless you're extremely horny for the best gear in the game with as little challenge as possible I can't really see how anyone could enjoy this version of raiding for very long. Struggle is kinda important for things to feel meaningful, even in a video game.
    That's because most of the people proclaiming it as "Hardcore" thinks of the times they died to two murlocs because they overpulled.

Classic isn't very complex and it have never really been, but don't say it's easier than LFR.

Just looking at LFR compared to BWL

In classic you need to follow mechanics, whatever few there may be, or you will wipe, you need buffs, pots etc. to perform your best.
    Yeah molten core is a cakewalk, BWL less so and less so for the next ones.

Even so, LFR is put together so that anyone who have no clue what the hell they're doing, what the tactics are etc. can complete it, it's made so that you can get to see the raid without effort.
    In classic you still have to stand in certain spots and follow the few mechanics.

But aside from that, classic isn't harder than retail, it's just more time-consuming and it takes longer to gear up, which is what i think people like about classic, you don't get showered in gear and have your hand held through it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic was never hard, it just seemed that way due to other reasons.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Was always going to be not hugely difficult with vanilla mechanics being so well known and more players having a better understanding of gearing, but I also believe 1.12 patches/talents had made it far easier than need be.

Your fault for listening to people like asmongold who had a vested monetary interest in hyping classic up.

There were no shortage of honest people, who actually played private servers who could tell you all about it.

Besides, Classic in general isnt easier or harder than retail, the real distinction of difficulty comes from that while retail has a hardmode, classic doesnt and you get to choose how hard you want your contwnt to be.

That is to say 99% of the content in both games are quite comparable, if you know what you are doing and have been playing for a while.

Another quite big difference is that retail demands a lot of small doses of interactivity and time from the player, while classic demands a high level of activity as a pay in to play the game (continuous power level like azerite vs leveling 1-60) as such, with classic once you are ""done"" for the week you can log out without falling behind in power relatively to others, while in retail you have to keep logging in.
    Last edited by OriginalName; 2020-02-14 at 05:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    Maybe they can poll the AI and figure out why their game sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneth View Post
    Classic isn't very complex and it have never really been, but don't say it's easier than LFR.

Just looking at LFR compared to BWL

In classic you need to follow mechanics, whatever few there may be, or you will wipe, you need buffs, pots etc. to perform your best.
    Yeah molten core is a cakewalk, BWL less so and less so for the next ones.

Even so, LFR is put together so that anyone who have no clue what the hell they're doing, what the tactics are etc. can complete it, it's made so that you can get to see the raid without effort.
    In classic you still have to stand in certain spots and follow the few mechanics.

But aside from that, classic isn't harder than retail, it's just more time-consuming and it takes longer to gear up, which is what i think people like about classic, you don't get showered in gear and have your hand held through it all.
    I know its cute to say 'lol u can finish LFR in a coma with no brain activity' but LFR has had mechanics that matter for a while now. As a recent example Wrathion's Scorching Blister explosions absolutely still kill if you fail at it in LFR. Even as far back as Throne of Thunder, Durumu had to be done correctly in LFR or you wiped.

So yeah, Classic is in fact easier than LFR and people wiping the floor with BWL in 42 minutes is proof in the pudding. Sorry/not sorry.

7+ Year Old Account
    Everyone sucked back then so it made the content way harder. Now most players are far better and know everything about classic.

Who painted it as a super hardcore difficult game? Aside from questing/world content, no one would have called classic a hard game. They may have said hardcore because it an be grindy.