Page 9 of 153 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    There's wideouts that will go in the third round this year you could draft for a #1 starter, giving up a 1st as well as a 5th, 6th and a 2021 4th for a guy who will spend most of his time adjusting to underthrown balls is a terrible piece of business.
    We had an extra 5th and 6th this year from midseason trades of trash OL we were gonna have to cut anyways. Having a 9 rookie class is wholly unfeasible. Next year's 4th round pick will be covered by a compensatory 4th (which can go up to a 3rd) when Shaq Lawson signed with Miami today - and we weren't going to sign him, so that's a free pick imo.

I think you're discounting the idea that the Bills don't have time to develop a WR. They have a 1st round QB who they'll have to pay even if he's only Bortles-esque, an RB who is gonna be good, a top 2 CB who will need to be paid, and two cornerstone LBs who anchored the #2 defense in the league. Diggs is signed for another 4 years at $11m a year, which is a steal (though obviously he'll want to restructure, hopefully we can push that off a bit).

We have been hitting on late round picks, true. We have 4 starters of our 22 from round 5 or later, all on rookie contracts, and it jumps up to like, 6 with major bit players, but imo that means we were just ahead of the curve on hitting on those late picks and can afford to not pick a few more of them.

Bills also signed DE Mario Addison late night, continuing the Carolina-Buffalo connection. He's a bit old for my taste, but 9+ sacks a year for the past four years is okay to me. Still no contract details.

One final point: the Bills have no more excuses on offense. This is the year the final evaluation on Josh happens. If he can't hit one of the best route runners with some of the best separation in the league. We hit on our TE and RB in last year's draft, besides perhaps a RT we're set on the offense. There should be nothing else needed. The defense is elite. It's now or never, before we have to pay like the half of our team who are on rookie contracts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bills also signed AJ Klein who is pretty good when he isn't hurt. He did a good job in NO, got overshadowed by Demario Davis but was good all-around.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    We had an extra 5th and 6th this year from midseason trades of trash OL we were gonna have to cut anyways. Having a 9 rookie class is wholly unfeasible. Next year's 4th round pick will be covered by a compensatory 4th (which can go up to a 3rd) when Shaq Lawson signed with Miami today - and we weren't going to sign him, so that's a free pick imo.

I think you're discounting the idea that the Bills don't have time to develop a WR. They have a 1st round QB who they'll have to pay even if he's only Bortles-esque, an RB who is gonna be good, a top 2 CB who will need to be paid, and two cornerstone LBs who anchored the #2 defense in the league. Diggs is signed for another 4 years at $11m a year, which is a steal (though obviously he'll want to restructure, hopefully we can push that off a bit).

We have been hitting on late round picks, true. We have 4 starters of our 22 from round 5 or later, all on rookie contracts, and it jumps up to like, 6 with major bit players, but imo that means we were just ahead of the curve on hitting on those late picks and can afford to not pick a few more of them.

Bills also signed DE Mario Addison late night, continuing the Carolina-Buffalo connection. He's a bit old for my taste, but 9+ sacks a year for the past four years is okay to me. Still no contract details.

One final point: the Bills have no more excuses on offense. This is the year the final evaluation on Josh happens. If he can't hit one of the best route runners with some of the best separation in the league. We hit on our TE and RB in last year's draft, besides perhaps a RT we're set on the offense. There should be nothing else needed. The defense is elite. It's now or never, before we have to pay like the half of our team who are on rookie contracts.
    I agree this is the year Allen needs to make the jump. Cautiously optimistic here.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I agree this is the year Allen needs to make the jump. Cautiously optimistic here.
    He needs to, rookie contracts don't last forever, at least they're not wasting it like Houston is wasting Watson's.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Even that description falls short, Larry was 1st team All Pro once, Hopkins has been three years in a row.
    That's a bit much. I'd take Fitz in his prime over Hopkins easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Coronavirus really stole the thunder of brady leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Brees back with the Saints for 2 more years.

Diggs to the Bills makes sense, they basically only had John Brown and Cole Beasley to throw to last year.

Time for the Patriots to go 14-2 with some random QB most people have never heard of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Coronavirus really stole the thunder of brady leaving.
    At least I have bigger things to worry about now, I guess.

Don't know where he'll end up, but he'll always be a Patriot first and foremost. I love him and he;s the reason I started watching football in the first place and I hope he ends up happy with his choice.

If he ends up in the AFC, I also hope his team crashes and burns.

Patriots will be on a rebuild path now, first on offence. They have said goodbye to their long time O-line coach, who decided to retire and that's going to hurt O-line production and Brady leaving just means the change on offense is that much larger. And their defense is getting quite old as well, so defensive overhaul is next on the schedule. We will see how this ends up. It will be nice for a change to not be the presumed Superbowl team, but to have to be honest to god underdogs and have to make it.

Guess this means we are also about to find out how Belichick feels about Stidham. If he brings in a (former) starter from elsewhere it might not be so good. We'll see. In Bill we trust.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rivers apparently finalising terms with the Colts.

Newton has permission from Carolina to seek a trade elsewhere.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Bridgewater to the Panthers.

Probably a good place for him, he can just dump the ball off to McCaffrey every play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not loving Teddy staying in the division, but at least he didn't go to the Patriots.

- - - Updated - - -

Chase Daniel to the Lions is a prudent move for a team that had -nothing- behind Matt Stafford last year.
    /s

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man as the QB holes were starting to be plugged this week I was more and more sure Brady would end up in New England on a discounted contract because he simply had no other option.

Still might, but with the Colts job now closed (and watch out they could be scary next year), the Raiders having already signed a new QB (I doubt they sign two and then try to jettison Carr), the Titans locked up with Tannehill, I have to imagine Brady's last available opening is Tampa Bay.

Now the question is what does New England do to replace him? Honestly, I think they might be fine just sitting for a year and seeing if they can fish somebody out of the draft. They've had a fairly substantial talent drain on defense, the offense probably needs a full retooling no matter who they bring in, maybe they draft a guy if he falls this year, or maybe they see how high of a pick they can get next year, maybe trade a few assets, and try to trade up for a guy.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

My only concern now is if Cam goes to New England, with Brees locked up and Rivers settling for Indy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    My only concern now is if Cam goes to New England, with Brees locked up and Rivers settling for Indy.
    Yeah that would be the all-in play by New England. That's really the only all-in play they now have left.

I dunno it depends I guess on where Belichick is at. If he thinks he only has one or two years left and wants to prove he can win a Super Bowl without Brady, sell the farm for Cam. If he thinks he has time to rebuild, I say just bring in another backup and see how high of a pick you can land. I don't think their defense is Super Bowl ready right now after their losses, and their offense sure isn't.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see Cam playing under Bill. His personality is the opposite of everything in pats culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I wouldn't go for Brady. Peyton was 36 when he started playing with the Broncos, there's no precedent for a 42 year old coming in and being awesome.
    Manning was also coming off a pretty big surgery and half way through 2014 couldn't feel his finger tips anymore. Not really a good comparison.

I wouldn't want to sign Brady either, but for different reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Manning was also coming off a pretty big surgery and half way through 2014 couldn't feel his finger tips anymore. Not really a good comparison.

I wouldn't want to sign Brady either, but for different reasons.
    Its funny because I theorized that Elway could make a push for Brady. He has a thing for these types of QBs apparently. They would have to trade Flacco though and GL with that. Too much money for a low tier QB with neck issues.

TB makes a lot of sense, they have a ton of cap, a good coach, and Brady bought a house in Florida not long ago iirc. Not a lot of teams right now that are a QB away from a ring. A lot of teams that need a QB are rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Its funny because I theorized that Elway could make a push for Brady. He has a thing for these types of QBs apparently. They would have to trade Flacco though and GL with that. Too much money for a low tier QB with neck issues.
    Flacco is getting released at some point (probably in June), Drew Lock is the starter now. If this was last year I could have seen Elway being dumb enough to go after Brady since he did it with Flacco, but they seem set on Lock being the starter for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the Panthers let Cam seek a trade and now are already thanking him for his time in Carolina. Either this thing moved fast, or they're willing to offload him for a bag of chips to the first team to inquire.

The line's been drawn 50 times over for Cam to go to Chicago but let me give you a dark horse team, Vegas. The Raiders just signed Mariota who is a running-style QB, could be trying to do the Lamar Jackson-RG3 thing with Cam Newton-Marcus Mariota.

In which case Carr is on the market and I could see the Patriots jumping at that chance. He'd fit with Belichick, he's a Patriots-style QB, and they can probably get him for a mid-round pick. Maybe even one of their comp picks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vic Beasely to the Titans, Jason Witten to the raiders. Because I guess an aged tight end who has already retired once will save your new quarterback (assuming he plays).

10+ Year Old Account
    With Rivers going to the Colts I wonder if the Patriots would want to re-acquire Brissett.
    /s