Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    The world and characters in this game are very static.
    I don't think you know what that word means, if you're calling the world and characters in WoW "static".

The game design in general is very lazy and lacks creativity because of the developer's cheapness.
    None of that has any effect in determining if a game is a RPG or not.

There's little interactivity with the world. There's little actual decisions you can make in this game.
    And yet... we have more than twice "actual decisions" today than we had back when the Classic WoW aficionados call the "time when WoW was an actual RPG".

It's all very streamlined, you just go through a bunch of systems to acquire gear and whatnot, the same systems everybody else goes through, with no deviation or individuality or player agency at all.
    And yet... we have more than three times the "deviations" in acquiring "gear and whatnot" today than we had back when the Classic WoW aficionados call the "time when WoW was an actual RPG".

Even the "quests" aren't quests, rarely are any of them more than kill X boars and bring me their asses. Nowadays they don't even bother adding proper quest text, it's literally just 2 paragraphs full of filler sentences that boil down to "I need boar asses for this".
    And yet... the quests today have over two times more variety than they had back when the Classic WoW aficionados call the "time when WoW was an actual RPG".

So how exactly is it an RPG? Cause you level up and get xp and unlock stuff? Doesn't that make Call of Duty or Fortnite an RPG too?
    Just asking this question tells me you don't know what a Role-Playing Game is. There's a difference between a game having RPG elements and being an actual RPG.

Of course WOW is an RPG, just that when you are done with the RPG part (which for some is only about 1 week, others reroll and do alt and extend that by quite a lot), then the MMO part takes over and you do M+, raids, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    It has XP, levels, & loot, so yeah it can still be technically classified as an RPG.
    By that logic... so is fortnite

7+ Year Old Account
    If you ignore all the role play aspects of the game then it's not. However, if you look at even the most basic of features, like playing a dps vs a healer vs a tank, then yes it is in fact now, and always has been, a RPG.

Not liking a game doesn't change the core of what a game is.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    No it's always just been an MMO. The RPG system has been barebones at best, and overtime slowly bleached out of the game.
    people need to google the word rpg,wow is one by every definition,people just dont like that it doesnt have x or y that they prefer,what rpg systems have been bleached out?im really curious about this,we have more character progression now than ever before,a hallmark of what makes and rpg

Quote Originally Posted by yani9841 View Post
    By that logic... so is fortnite
    technically yeah

technically yeah
    and CoD and League of Legends...

I'm not sure XP, Loot, and Levels are good indicators of "RPG" traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinex View Post
    Its still an MMO
    The RPG part is kinda dead though
    someone needs to google the definition of an rpg...

Wikipedia says yes

Even has a little Multiplayer section :O

Last edited by Drusin; 2020-03-03 at 03:38 AM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

and CoD and League of Legends...

I'm not sure XP, Loot, and Levels are good indicators of "RPG" traits.
    Except that's exactly what indicates an RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    The world and characters in this game are very static. The game design in general is very lazy and lacks creativity because of the developer's cheapness.
    *snip useless words*
    even bother adding proper quest text, it's literally just 2 paragraphs full of filler sentences that boil down to "I need boar asses for this".

So how exactly is it an RPG? Cause you level up and get xp and unlock stuff? Doesn't that make Call of Duty or Fortnite an RPG too?
    "Wahhhh WoW is so bad its not even RPG anymore"

*continues to play WoW anyway*

-you, in a nutshell
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jzhbee View Post
    I think the idea that RPG means choice comes from the fact that the root there is ROLEPLAYING, which means making meaningful discussions and advancements.
    "Progressing your character" is also a choice, and choice comes from the different ways you can progress.
    I'd argue meaningful choice is ot a requirement for an RPG. People dig at D3 because you have free unlimited respecs and all skills available to you. But Divinity Original Sin 2 is considered one of the best RPGs out there and you can freely reset all your skills at anytime and completely change your character up.

Except that's exactly what indicates an RPG.
    I disagree. But then my definition of RPG tends to be more focused on character presence in the story being told. Experience or loot doesn't matter with respect to such.

I disagree. But then my definition of RPG tends to be more focused on character presence in the story being told. Experience or loot doesn't matter with respect to such.
    The problem with your definition is that virtually any game with a story can fit your definition, including all those you said were not RPG's.

The problem with your definition is that virtually any game with a story can fit your definition, including all those you said were not RPG's.
    but the same is true for your's.

how many MOBA's, Shooters, or strategy games also have loot, levels, experience?

My definition is still more in line with what the name implies: Role Playing...

edit:

IMO what we have is a series of systems where people just ran with ideas for awhile and now we have a hodgepodge mess where every genre is littered with the same components blended just slightly different. It's like the difference between an Action-Adventure or Survival-Horror in some cases and yeah, some adventure or open world games would be perfectly classified as RPG's.
    Last edited by yani9841; 2020-03-03 at 04:15 AM.

but the same is true for your's.

how many MOBA's, Shooters, or strategy games also have loot, levels, experience?

My definition is still more in line with what the name implies: Role Playing...
    But mine cuts out shit like Zelda which is an action/adventure game, not an RPG, your's doesn't cut out anything, except games like bejeweled.

The world and characters in this game are very static. The game design in general is very lazy and lacks creativity because of the developer's cheapness.

There's little interactivity with the world. There's little actual decisions you can make in this game.

It's all very streamlined, you just go through a bunch of systems to acquire gear and whatnot, the same systems everybody else goes through, with no deviation or individuality or player agency at all.

Even the "quests" aren't quests, rarely are any of them more than kill X boars and bring me their asses. Nowadays they don't even bother adding proper quest text, it's literally just 2 paragraphs full of filler sentences that boil down to "I need boar asses for this".

You've forgotten to mention, that large amount of scaling mechanics, that are intended to make content "endless", actually devalue character progression and turn game into arcade. There is such genre, as action adventure. It has RP-elements in it in form of upgrades. Like extra life or new weapon. Wow is exactly this now. Not RPG.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

15+ Year Old Account
    RPG isn't even a genre so much as a garnish you put in other games these days. There is virtually no game released in 2020 that doesn't have RPG systems.

And when did WoW ever have any player agency, by the way? The only choice the game offered you was between different quest rewards. In fact, BFA is the first time they've implemented choices that affect the narrative in a remotely meaningful way.

15+ Year Old Account
    God OP, you just never relent with the WoW/Blizzard hate do you. Every single day there's another reason you hate wow.
    Here is something to believe in!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    You've forgotten to mention, that large amount of scaling mechanics, that are intended to make content "endless", actually devalue character progression and turn game into arcade. There is such genre, as action adventure. It has RP-elements in it in form of upgrades. Like extra life or new weapon. Wow is exactly this now. Not RPG.
    There are plenty of RPGs that have scaling difficulty. Final Fantasy Tactics is a beloved tactical RPG where enemies scale to your level, meaning you never overlevel the game's content and can even get into situations where progression is impossible. Skyrim is another off the top of my head that likewise has scaling enemies. Are you going to tell me that isn't an RPG?