Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I do security for a direct to consumer warehouse for one of those retail chains that shuttered their stores for the pandemic, and do all their business online now. I'm essential because apparently Karen can't live without her new InstaPot, Gladys will surely die if she doesn't get her Dior perfume, and Debra is most assuredly going to perish without her Coach handbag. I'm grateful to still have a job, and our company will hopefully not go under due to this whole thing, but having contact with 600+ people a day, not all of whom had the greatest hygiene standards before all this started has me seriously worried for my own safety, my wife's, and most importantly that of my septuagenarian mother.

I've washed my hands so often that they've started to crack even with all lotion I've been using. Every morning I get home from work, strip down to my boxers/socks in the back porch, bag my clothes (for a separate wash) and hop directly in the shower. I know its just a matter of time before I get this thing, I'm just trying to minimize the chance of me spreading it to my family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

I do a lot of face to face customer work when doing power line maintenance. People usually like to have a talk when people and machines are going to access their property and be there most a day to replace equipment. Now I am doing that mostly from home though electronic means. Phones, emails, and stuff like that. It certainly has crunched customer satisfaction and the customer is less informed but that is just how it is for now. Most understand, some asshole of course never will, but we cannot let fires start due to faulty equipment and we cannot have the lights going on with so many people at home isolated and so many others in need of medical care that depend on electricity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm essential. Don't feel like my check or benefits reflect it. I'm thinking of staying the hell away from healthcare and government when this is over. Until then I will do my part.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Assistant manager at a gas station that is right next to a highway so I am considered essential. With the 300+ people I see everyday and all the money I handle it is just a matter of "when" I get Virus and not "if" I will get it.
    Does your employer not provide you gloves while you're working? Every gas station, grocery store, restaurant, and other place that handles money out here provides their employees with gloves. Most provide masks too but not all.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Does your employer not provide you gloves while you're working? Every gas station, grocery store, restaurant, and other place that handles money out here provides their employees with gloves. Most provide masks too but not all.
    They do, but when dealing with 300+ people a day myself all it takes is one bad cough or sneeze from a customer. Even with a mask you have to worry about your eyes as well. I also get a lot of Chinese tourists. Apparently my station is in just the right spot for them to need to refill on their way to Yosemite National Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    welp for at least the next 4 months (when states actually get their shit together to implement unemployment changes) people will get all that money back and a bunch will actually make more money then they were working.

if I was to get laid off today, I would probably make a couple hundred more a week for the next 12 weeks.
    I fully expect that number to increase just like it kept doing under Obama till it hit 51 weeks.
    and what after that ? you are really naive enough to belive that in 4 months everyting will just go back to how it was ?

yes im usually a pesimist. and my pessimistic view tells me that by the end of year in most countries uneplyement will be around 30%.

that is the prices West is paying for going away from industrial/agricultural market to "Service" market.

im just glad my SO has a small farm out of city - if shit hits the fan we can grow our own food and this will be crucial imo .

people will open their eyes and see the value of land and enviroment again - and it will be a good thing for society .

there is a small anegdote i like to tell . which is true. most people dont know it but do you know what is the meaning of neatly cut grass around your homes ?

its a sign of good social status. good to the point that you dont have to grow food there to survive.

people in cities may be f....ed in incoming months thats all im gonna say .

Manufacturing windows, so yeah, I'm essential: hell, one of the orders I was working on tonight was labeled for a Medical Center somewhere. Work has slowed down considerably as a lot of customers are cancelling their orders or pushing back the ship date because their own warehouses are shut down and can't receive. Tonight was a ridiculously slow and easy night, easiest we've had in months, and I got to watch someone have a meltdown about "working too hard" and "this is bullshit" and "I want to go home early" and the like.

"You want to leave? You know you're on thin ice already: if you walk out that door before time to punch out, you're not coming back."

So many companies doing layoffs right now, virtually no one in the area hiring new people because they're afraid of bringing in an unknown individual who may or may not be infected in, and this rocket scientist decides to terminate himself with only thirty-five minutes left in the shift.

Morbidly curious to know how he plans on paying for his well-known drug habit with no income anymore... Are drug dealers deferring payments now for Covid-19? Are they giving out Welfare Weed to those who aren't working?

Quote Originally Posted by Osoroshii View Post
    Manufacturing windows, so yeah, I'm essential: hell, one of the orders I was working on tonight was labeled for a Medical Center somewhere. Work has slowed down considerably as a lot of customers are cancelling their orders or pushing back the ship date because their own warehouses are shut down and can't receive. Tonight was a ridiculously slow and easy night, easiest we've had in months, and I got to watch someone have a meltdown about "working too hard" and "this is bullshit" and "I want to go home early" and the like.

"You want to leave? You know you're on thin ice already: if you walk out that door before time to punch out, you're not coming back."

So many companies doing layoffs right now, virtually no one in the area hiring new people because they're afraid of bringing in an unknown individual who may or may not be infected in, and this rocket scientist decides to terminate himself with only thirty-five minutes left in the shift.

Morbidly curious to know how he plans on paying for his well-known drug habit with no income anymore... Are drug dealers deferring payments now for Covid-19? Are they giving out Welfare Weed to those who aren't working?
    thats not why they are pushing shippements.

they dont want to pay for anything that is not essential . and when its still in your warehouse they dont have to care about invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    thats not why they are pushing shippements.

they dont want to pay for anything that is not essential . and when its still in your warehouse they dont have to care about invoice.
    Oh, I must be mistaken: I didn't realize you sat in the daily management meetings with the coo, the other sups, and myself and engaged in the lengthy discussions about how long are we holding on to the shipments we have ready to go, when will the distribution facility re-open, and how hard they're going to slam us with orders once they can resume normal or semi-normal operations, and all that good stuff.

I'm a nurse at the local health care center. Currently doing my normal job of seeing people who have gotten ill acutely and evaluating if they need to see a doctor or if they're fine with some advice and a nurse's note. We're not seeing any patients who have flu symptoms, they are directed to specifically dedicated Corona -stations. Some days I get to work from home answering the Corona -virus hotline advising people on what they should do if they suspect they are infected.
    There's plans in place what will happen if (or when) the epidemic gets worse; we may be moved to other jobs, have to do overtime if requested, we're not guaranteed normal breaks between shifts (minimum of 11h), are not allowed time off unless sick or in case of a family emergency and if a nurse or a doctor wants to resign, they have to hand in their notice 4 months prior.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am essential but retiring so not so much essential as the replacement I am training, so I am kind of essential or rather I am as essential as the need for me if the person I am training can't do what I do, which she and he can, so I am only essential as oversight, otherwise yes, I am and would be essential because of the contracts and properties the company I work for secures.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I think I am considered essential, I am a teacher (I have seen it listed on some places, but tbh I don't consider it so right now), however I am working from home, as we only have a skeleton staff right now and since I use public transport and can't drive, it would be silly for me to risk it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    I work as a design engineer for a case/crate manufacturer, so technically we are an essential business since we make cases and crates for defense and medical companies (despite many of them either shutting down themselves or not ordering anything currently).

What's frustrating is that despite having all the tools available to work from home, I still have to come into the office everyday. On top of that, no one is really following the few rules we put in place to help combat the spread, mostly because many people I work with fall into the "It'S aLl A hOaX bY tHe DeMoCrAtS" and "BuT tHe FlU kIlLs MoRe PeOpLe PeR yEaR; wHy DiDn'T We ShUtDoWn ThE eCoNoMy FoR tHaT?" crowd. We are also currently operating with all of our normal staff, so it's going to be devastating when (not if) it hits.

and what after that ? you are really naive enough to belive that in 4 months everyting will just go back to how it was ?

Obama stimulus started out with extended benefits to 33 weeks (normal 26 weeks).

Then it expanded another 14 weeks.

Then States with unemployment rates at 8.5% or higher received an additional 6 weeks of benefits.

Stop being so silly and read a little history

im just glad my SO has a small farm out of city - if shit hits the fan we can grow our own food and this will be crucial imo .

people will open their eyes and see the value of land and enviroment again - and it will be a good thing for society .

there is a small anegdote i like to tell . which is true. most people dont know it but do you know what is the meaning of neatly cut grass around your homes ?

its a sign of good social status. good to the point that you dont have to grow food there to survive.

people in cities may be f....ed in incoming months thats all im gonna say .

Two words, Mass Migration.

If the shit really hits the fan as you state it there will be a mass migration from urban centers to rural area's because people think that is where all the food is.
    Your little small farm city will be flooded and you will be in the same shape as everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Floofi View Post
    I work as a design engineer for a case/crate manufacturer, so technically we are an essential business since we make cases and crates for defense and medical companies (despite many of them either shutting down themselves or not ordering anything currently).

What's frustrating is that despite having all the tools available to work from home, I still have to come into the office everyday. On top of that, no one is really following the few rules we put in place to help combat the spread, mostly because many people I work with fall into the "It'S aLl A hOaX bY tHe DeMoCrAtS" and "BuT tHe FlU kIlLs MoRe PeOpLe PeR yEaR; wHy DiDn'T We ShUtDoWn ThE eCoNoMy FoR tHaT?" crowd. We are also currently operating with all of our normal staff, so it's going to be devastating when (not if) it hits.
    Our 2nd biggest Trumpkin just told the boss he is quitting to stay at home with his retired wife since she is so afraid....then he finally admitted he also wants to stay at home because he has 3 pensions between them and 4 rental properties and the risk for a few extra dollars is not worth it to them

He was 1 of 2 people who wanted everyone to go back to work and said this was no worse than car accidents and flu season

The other person has not said anything since trump extended the lockdown, he looks so deflated anytime people bring up trump.

lol
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

For some reason I'm still working. Apparently golf is essential.

Sure, we ask people to do payments over the phone, don't touch the pins, no rakes in our bunkers, yet the amount of stupid I still deal with on a day to day basis sucks. People are still riding in golf carts together, people are still hugging on the range as a greeting, etc. I cannot control what other people do.

Just yesterday I had a fellow come in, all the way to my counter (ignoring the "do not come in unless absolutely necessary" sign), then proceed to cough into his fist (rather than his elbow and face away from me), straight onto me, the counter, my coworker. I keep getting repeated calls of folks congregating.

I'd love to be at home in a shelter in place order. I don't see how golf is essential. I'm not sick, yet, just sick of stupid.

Working from home but it's pretty slow and not much to do. My husband always works from home and it's business as usual.

Neither of us is an 'essential worker'. Software programmer and market researcher, respectively.

Non essential worker.

I'm at home wasting away on unemployment playing WoW collecting 380$ + 600$ a week doing so

Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    Non essential worker.

I'm at home wasting away on unemployment playing WoW collecting 380$ + 600$ a week doing so
    See this is my problem, (with the system, not you personally). You're making more money than I am not working, yet I still have to go to work and bust my ass AND be at risk of exposure, for less money. Over golf. A bloody golf course.

Quote Originally Posted by Furiaen21 View Post
    See this is my problem, (with the system, not you personally). You're making more money than I am not working, yet I still have to go to work and bust my ass AND be at risk of exposure, for less money. Over golf. A bloody golf course.
    Issue that I have as well. Sucks places of employment (as mine) are temporary shut down during this crisis, I'm glad, and thankful that they eased the limitations and restrictions on Unemployment and implemented the Care Act which generates 600$ a week with your Unemployment benefits, but workers like you? The only thing extra you guys are getting is the 1200 stimulus check, which EVERYONE gets.

So its like, you guys stay and work. For literally the same thing, with added risk, exposure to the virus and general hardship working during a pandemic.

Ya but, if your employer is good, also have health insurance partially paid by them, benefits, 401k, etc etc etc......but we know that's like winning the lottery!!

Everyone at the warehouse here is praying we get furloughed, they will all make more money not working and they don't get any benefits so they won't lose anything.

A lot of unorganized weird nonlogical bull shit.

People getting 1200 dollars whom are on Social Security. No financial impact on them what so ever but they demanded the 1200 dollars for....umm....reasons. Oh right big voting block needs free money, got it.

If you have a kid whom is 17 you don't get the 500 + allowance. Because some reason that last year of high school I guess they are self sufficient. No idea why it was not 18 and 23 if they were still in college and not working.

But if they worked say 3 days in 2018-2019 they are getting 1200 dollars. Actual example of a co workers kid who worked a few days at a supermarket got her 1200 deposited this weekend. They had her file taxes even though she did not need to, I guess because they were afraid not too was their excuse even though she was way below the threshold.

Last big scam starting. IF your kid is 17-23 and in school and had no job. Have them claim themselves as an independent contractor in 2018-2019. You can pick anything. Babysitter income for watching your other kid, mowing the lawn a few times, etc etc.
    Then because their income is below the requirement to file. Poof.
    Log on to IRS web site.
    Click on button for non filers, give information.
    Bam 1200 dollars.

Free money music marathon!!!

- - - Updated - - -

For some reason I'm still working. Apparently golf is essential.

Sure, we ask people to do payments over the phone, don't touch the pins, no rakes in our bunkers, yet the amount of stupid I still deal with on a day to day basis sucks. People are still riding in golf carts together, people are still hugging on the range as a greeting, etc. I cannot control what other people do.

Just yesterday I had a fellow come in, all the way to my counter (ignoring the "do not come in unless absolutely necessary" sign), then proceed to cough into his fist (rather than his elbow and face away from me), straight onto me, the counter, my coworker. I keep getting repeated calls of folks congregating.

I'd love to be at home in a shelter in place order. I don't see how golf is essential. I'm not sick, yet, just sick of stupid.
    Not to be a dick or anything....or teach you how to be a dick but....

Take pictures and/or document violations.

Forward to health department, state agencies.....
    get place shut down.

They are shutting down business after business all over the country for violations like this.

and fuck that golf course (coming from a golf lover) for not shutting down or at least having a counter with a full boxed in sneeze guard if anyone did come inside.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!