Poll: Are you generally?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    You're right, people who are sick and don't wear masks don't need treatment because they have mild symptoms. If you have serious symptoms, you are hospitalized instead of gallivanting around the neighborhood and being a superspreader. The people that @Stelio Kontos wants to punish won't get punished because their immune systems are strong enough to fight off COVID on their own. The ones who do get punished, however, are the non-infected people who went out without a mask and got hit with a severe case of COVID. But they weren't spreading it in the first place by not wearing a mask because they weren't infected.

@Stelio Knotos wants to live in a fantasy world where bad people get punished. In the real world, bad people get away scot-free.
    Please read up and educate yourself on why masks are being requested to be worn in this case.

Hint: It's not to protect yourself from other people, it's to protect other people from you and what you might be carrying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Not having a mask on means it's more likely that you get infected
    It also increases your risk of spreading it before it's diagnosed, or before you even get symptoms (You can infect others before you get symptoms).

If everyone wore a mask then less people would get it. Wear a mask
    While true, that's not the reason you should be wearing a mask.

The masks being advocated for people to wear aren't filters to keep things out, they're just cloth to keep the particulates you give off from getting OUT.

The rest of what you're saying is true though, because if everyone wore one, the risk of transmission goes way down.

I clicked anti-mask

Advice on the use of masks in the context of COVID-19 -who.int
    Medical masks should be reserved for health care workers. The use of medical masks in the community may create a false sense of security,
    Healthy people should wear masks only if caring for coronavirus patients, WHO says - nypost

Anti-War / Anti-CIA / Cynic / Unpopular Opinions

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
    I clicked anti-mask
    And linked a PDF that is dated to the 6th of April of this year.

It is currently May 29th.

Do you not understand what novel means? As in novel coronavirus? Just wondering.

You do realise that going out in public without a mask puts other people at risk of infection, yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post

Do you not understand what novel means? As in novel coronavirus? Just wondering.

You do realise that going out in public without a mask puts other people at risk of infection, yes?
    Going out in public right now puts people in danger period. That's why the lockdown should have been continued until a vaccine or an effective treatment become available.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...d-19-and-masks

Currently there is not enough evidence for or against the use of masks (medical or other) for healthy individuals in the wider community. WHO continues to recommend that medical masks be worn by individuals who are sick or those caring for them. WHO is actively studying the rapidly evolving science on masks and continuously updates its guidance.
    - - - Updated - - -

Going out in public right now puts people in danger period. That's why the lockdown should have been continued until a vaccine or an effective treatment become available.
    You don't solve this problem by quarantining the healthy
    Anti-War / Anti-CIA / Cynic / Unpopular Opinions

But without extensive testing/contact tracing, you don't know who is an asymptomatic carrier. Even Brian Kemp learned that back in early April.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

The date is not the issue. The source is.

Millions would sooner die from starvation and society would collapse if we were to wait for a vaccine. Treatments are already way more effective than they were some months ago, the mortality rate in the countries that were hit first keeps decreasing. Going out in public doesn't put anyone in danger if you employ proper measures - but people are unwilling or unable to do so. Mostly unwilling though, and therein lies the biggest issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you live under a rock? People can be completely asymptomatic and have viral loads higher than symptomatic subjects. It means "healthy" people can infect others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

7+ Year Old Account
    Pro-Mask, everyone should wear one both outside and inside during the pandemic.

The mask has an impact on lowering the chance of getting the virus, but far more importantly it lower the chance for someone infected to spread the virus, and a lot of people don't show symptoms.

So don't be an asshole and give a damn about your fellow man: Wear a mask.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

I'm not pro-plague. Some people in my country are f***ing insane. I've got a box of masks but mostly just avoid going out. I'm a shut-in, so it's not as hard as most.

If we get a second wave, it'll hit my state hardest.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-05-30 at 05:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I've just started referring to people who act like this virus is nothing and take no precautions while looking down on those that do as plague rats, because that's what they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I told some twat in the grocery store, making a fuss about masks as people walked up and down the isles past her, that told I do not wear a mask to protect myself.
    I am a generally healthy individual with an excellent immune system chances are if I get Covid I will be asymptomatic.
    So I wear a mask to protect you.

The person was an obese individual with most likely pre-existing conditions. Shit heads like this do not deserve my protection however they are human also so I do my part.

Just wear a mask people and get over your "America is a free place" bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I told some twat in the grocery store...The person was an obese individual with most likely pre-existing conditions. Shit heads like this...
    Gee, it's not like you are super judgmental or anything, yeah? I understand that the behavior of others can be annoying. Most people are very low quality its true. But just shake your head and move on, you don't have to be this into hating on them.

I have stated that I wear the mask as a courtesy to others. Do any of you still understand what that word means? It's very hard to tell given the usual tone of animosity and self-righteousness around here. You're all so sure you are absolutely right about everything.

For example, I make statements that are true for me and what I think. But I don't have any grand expectations about what others may think or do or anything else. But that's also why I stridently defend my right to behave generally exactly as I wish. You have your rights and I have my own. As long as there is no cross-over, its all good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    I have stated that I wear the mask as a courtesy to others.
    Congratulations on doing the absolute bare minimum to meet the threshold of human decency in a public health crisis. Is that the issue, or is the problem that you feel that you haven't received enough praise for not being a jackass?

The term for that is 'participation trophy', hun.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

You folks try so hard to find fault with every word sometimes. Seriously, rights? We all have rights, well supposedly anyway. But since you asked, no everyone doesn't have the same rights at all times. If you are soldier or a prisoner, you may have lost some of your rights along with your change in status. Do people not know this stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    You folks try so hard to find fault with every word sometimes. Seriously, rights? We all have rights, well supposedly anyway. But since you asked, no everyone doesn't have the same rights at all times. If you are soldier or a prisoner, you may have in a sense lost some of your rights along with your change in status. Do people not know this stuff?
    We're aware that prisoners are one of the main exceptions to the Thirteenth Amendment and why the current penal system is called a form of legalised slavery, thanks.

If you get called out on a problematic opinion, pointing at a problematic system isn't a defense.

If you get called out on a problematic opinion...
    Stating commonly known facts is not problematic in my view, nor is it an opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stating commonly known facts is not problematic in my view, nor is it an opinion.
    They're so commonly known that you can't find a single source supporting any of them beyond vague references to "you hear" and "in my experience"?

That's not general knowledge, Karen, that's anecdotal bullshit.

They're so commonly known that you can't find a single source supporting any of them beyond vague references to "you hear" and "in my experience"?
    Your ignorance of simple matters is alarming. Maybe you can be more specific as to what you didn't understand and I shall try to explain it to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your ignorance of simple matters is alarming. Maybe you can be more specific as to what you didn't understand and I shall try to explain it to you.
    He wants you to explore or state facts about who has rights. The bold is the part you cut out from his reply. He wants you to explain how systematic issues with rights are impacting rights:

If you get called out on a problematic opinion, pointing at a problematic system isn't a defense.
    You are making assertions that people have different rights, but refuse to state anything beyond prison and military. How about you bring up Biden and his justice reform... does that ring a bell? Why is 3 strikes and you are out, from Biden’s plan, impacting minority groups more? What systematic problem does 3 strikes and you are out, that makes it so racist?

You do know that someone telling others to wear a mask in a store, is decreasing the odds of a disease that impacts the black community disproportionately more. Similarly how Biden’s three strikes and you are out, has a disproportionate inadvertent effect on minorities. Not wearing a mask has a similar result, for a similar issue of a systematic problem.

Not wearing a mask, is a freedom... just like telling someone to wear one. One doesn’t harm others...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You are making assertions that people have different rights, but refuse to state anything beyond prison and military.
    Legal facts are not assertions. If you can accept that there are different legal statuses of natural persons, and that sometimes there are different types of rights for each status - well, that's it. I wasn't making a point about this at all, BTW. I was simply saying that all individuals have rights but so does ever other individual, and one person's rights end where the rights of every other person begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    How about you bring up Biden and his justice reform...
    I'd rather not, that's sounds like something you should do.

How about you write me a 20 page, single spaced paper on that topic?