Thread: Things you miss

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Things you miss

Assuming most people here are 20+, what are some things you miss from a decade ago (or longer)?

I’ll start:
    MySpace - better than twitter and Facebook ‘cause people listened to better music
    Counter-Strike 1.6 - better than CS:GO, but you’d have to have been there to know
    Having real friends - there was substance, not just hitting ‘like’ on somebody’s comment

Okay, your turn.

going to the libraries more frequently, i think
    keeping an online diary )) - better than twitter these days.
    Nintendo console from the 90s

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss being safe, whille in the streets. I remember that in the 80's no one cared were we went, we could stay playing with friends until late hours, everything changed in the 90's, and today no one sees kids playing on the streets anymore.

Back in the day I didn't follow politics, so it seemed like everything was going swell. Nowadays I follow politics quite a lot and have never felt so disappointed in people.

I also miss Metal Gear. We're getting new Resident Evils and Final Fantasies, but Metal Gear ended with the 2015 Phantom Pain and we're unlikely to get more of the good stuff ever again.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

I miss my childhood optimism.
    R.I.P. lost somewhen mid-80s.

I miss the dart board

they won't let me play any more

10+ Year Old Account
    Not having to worry about the future.

...and summer holidays!

Days in School, honestly... been two decades since I finished it. Miss all the people in a relatively carefree time.

I'm not the kind of person to sit around and "miss" things, nostalgia for me is a very rarely experienced feeling.
    But then again, my childhood was anything but carefree and breezy. I miss my dog, that's about it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I'm not the kind of person to sit around and "miss" things, nostalgia for me is a very rarely experienced feeling.
    But then again, my childhood was anything but carefree and breezy. I miss my dog, that's about it.
    We had this dog, a border collie named...Missy...she died in 1994 and I still miss her very much.

I also miss my uncle, who was like a father to me. As a child, there were some Christmas we would never had, had it not been for him. Getting gifts and being able to enjoy the food and such at that time. Just to name one thing I remember fondly about him.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-05-22 at 01:46 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Assuming most people here are 20+, what are some things you miss from a decade ago (or longer)?

I’ll start:
    MySpace - better than twitter and Facebook ‘cause people listened to better music
    Counter-Strike 1.6 - better than CS:GO, but you’d have to have been there to know
    Having real friends - there was substance, not just hitting ‘like’ on somebody’s comment

Okay, your turn.
    I do miss CS 1.6 those were some good times, we had our own server too and made our own exclusive maps for it.

Luckily I still have all my closest friends from growing up and we would all do anything for each other if need be lol.

What I miss the most was everyone not having phones, I still shit on friends and family who check their phones all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I miss being safe, whille in the streets. I remember that in the 80's no one cared were we went, we could stay playing with friends until late hours, everything changed in the 90's, and today no one sees kids playing on the streets anymore.
    Yeah this is insane. My neighbors literally tell their kids to never go outside unless a trusted adult is with them. Fear is a powerful motivator.

Friends and loved ones I've lost are on top of the list, obviously. Pets too. Everything that follows is vastly secondary:
    The decadent lifestyle I used to have, split-screen brawls over console games, the lack of omnipresent social networks and people not being glued to their smartphones all the time, the lack of a ton of responsibilities that I now have, being able to sleep well without armored doors and shutters, a gun or two by the bed, CCTVs, a panic room and a top-notch alarm system which I accidentally trigger once or twice a year when I'm very groggy after waking up and forget to turn it off before opening the shutters, resulting in me having breakfast with the police because said alarm system automatically calls them when triggered (not that I mind that much, they've always been very understanding about it, and they certainly never mind my cornettos).
    Oh, and not having to attend to the marriages of high school and/or university friends, or high school/university "reunion parties" and the like. I hate those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean things are the same except we have better technology and society improves over time.

Obviously we'd all like our perfect youthfulness and our grandparents back however these aren't reasonable expectations.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-05-22 at 05:07 PM.

Snow. Nearly forgotten how it felt.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I miss the original Counter Strike, the good game it was in the beginning with all the bunnyhopping etc. IIRC that was before 1.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The fun of browsing bargain bin CDs and DVDs to see if there's some treasure to be found. On the other hand I don't miss physical copies at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    The fun of browsing bargain bin CDs and DVDs to see if there's some treasure to be found. On the other hand I don't miss physical copies at all.
    Did you ever buy Dominator CD's?

Couldn't find a photo of the case online, but instantly recognized the disc when I found it from google:

i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    the lack of a ton of responsibilities that I now have, being able to sleep well without armored doors and shutters, a gun or two by the bed, CCTVs, a panic room and a top-notch alarm system which I accidentally trigger once or twice a year when I'm very groggy after waking up and forget to turn it off before opening the shutters, resulting in me having breakfast with the police because said alarm system automatically calls them when triggered (not that I mind that much, they've always been very understanding about it, and they certainly never mind my cornettos).
    Jesus, you live in a warzone or what? In my house we don't even remember to lock the doors half the time at night.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-05-22 at 05:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss US not being completely insane with the politics. Make Politics Boring Again.

I miss not having a pandemic, and I miss the job that I had. Turning into a full-blown whackaloon over here.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?