Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shado-pan is pretty brutal

"Of course, you can refuse the mercy I have extended and confirm Tao-Long's suspicions. And then we will take the scroll from you, as well as your life. But don't think that this means we will simply kill you, thief. When the Shado-pan take your life, it means that your life comes into our possession. We will bind you, take your eyes, your feet, and all but two of your fingers so that you can feed yourself. Then you will be strapped to a mount and carried to our monastery high in Kun-Lai Summit. Upon your arrival, you will be placed on an ice-rimmed ledge to wait for our Truthseekers."

Doesn't sound terribly nice to me. Then there's the whole child killing with the trial of the red blossoms thing...

5+ Year Old Account
    Well where exactly was it said, that the Shado-pan are nice?

The shado-pan are pretty hardcore tbh.

Makes sense when you look at thier purpose.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    They are basically an esoteric, religious, ninja, police force... How does that sound nice?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    They are basically a gestapo. And this kind of organisations always go power-mad within few days.

Thats why shado-pan shown its real face during the monastery dungeon.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/st...a/red-blossoms

If I remember right less than half the new recruits survived to the end. Pretty metal.

""There are only six coins, and ten of you. I suggest that you swim quickly."

Swim?

With a clank, the chain holding one half of the bridge dropped from its mooring, and the applicants fell into the lake below, breaking jagged holes into the ice. They came up sputtering, shouting, bellowing, one voice screaming that he could not swim. There were a few seconds of terrifying chaos as some panicked and grabbed onto others, who responded violently with blows and curses to avoid being dragged down into the frigid depths. Those who had been dressed in fancy armor did not surface."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

And to top it all off they had to do this without expressing strong emotions because of the Sha.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    They are basically a gestapo. And this kind of organisations always go power-mad within few days.

By this do you mean the end point they would have arrived at had they truly stayed on the path the Sha of Hate was leading them down? Because that was not the real face of the Shado-pan. Their quests in Kun-lai, Townlong Steppes and the assault on the Isle of Thunder, those are examples of what the Shado-pan are.

They are the watchers on the wall. Not heroes, not villains, watchers.

10+ Year Old Account
    But Pandaria was a kiddie Kung Fu Panda expansion, you guys. How can they be gruesome or hardcore, have you *heard* the Pandaria tavern music?
    /s
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

tbh the shado pan grimdark metal lore is just blizz trying too hard. its not reflected in the shado pan you see in game at all. even taran zhu just gets annoyed and despondent at his worst.

like theres nothing in all of pandaria that makes me believe that story about killing all the trainees for the lolz came from the universe of wow and not just some garbage blizzard writer trying to make it less like kung fu panda
    they hated sillag because he told them the truth

Well they're inspired by the Chinese, and the Chinese invented the most gruesome tortures.

7+ Year Old Account

Dude, what? Did you ever go to that place? They were infested by the Sha. It's like saying that every NPC in Visions shows his true face.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Dude, what? Did you ever go to that place? They were infested by the Sha. It's like saying that every NPC in Visions shows his true face.
    Well, the Sha enhance existing feelings, not create them out of mid air. So if Shas of Hatred and Violence, even in containment, managed to turn the whole monastery into a bunch of assholes and an annoying gauntlet, there had to be a lot of Hatred and Violence floating around anyway.

Not to mention, well, perhaps every NPC in Visions does show his true face. A lot of friendly NPCs seem to be acting like themselves, like Zekhan in Orgrimmar or Whoever in Stormwind. Alleria losing control over the void duing N'Zoths invasion doesn't seem to be a stretch. Neither does Thrall fucking something up again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Well, the Sha enhance existing feelings, not create them out of mid air. So if Shas of Hatred and Violence, even in containment, managed to turn the whole monastery into a bunch of assholes and an annoying gauntlet, there had to be a lot of Hatred and Violence floating around anyway.

Not to mention, well, perhaps every NPC in Visions does show his true face. A lot of friendly NPCs seem to be acting like themselves, like Zekhan in Orgrimmar or Whoever in Stormwind. Alleria losing control over the void duing N'Zoths invasion doesn't seem to be a stretch. Neither does Thrall fucking something up again.
    Well, ofc they all had those emotions, but there is a big difference between having a normal dose of anger and having it being amplified over 9k by Sha so hard, that you want to kill strangers on sight. It's the same as other Old Gods influences. It amplifies paranoia, bloodlust, insanity and whatnot. And about friendly NPC's in Ogri for example, they act like that because they weren't forced to drink N'zoth blood, like Thrall and others were. If you got exposed so hard to them, you got under their influence, no exceptions.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-06-17 at 06:48 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Yup and those sha needed to cling to some emotions. Not to mention that shado-pan were completely incompetent and incapable of dealing with them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yup and those sha needed to cling to some emotions. Not to mention that shado-pan were completely incompetent and incapable of dealing with them.
    Yes, because you can't completely get rid of emotions, not possible. And incompetent? Nope. They dealt with Sha/Mantids/Yaungol/Mogu since their founding. Only when H/A war arrived to Pandaria, they couldn't handle this huge explosion of negative emotions that fed the Sha, hasten Mantid invasion and pushed Yaungol to relocate, (also, Lei Shen coming back) all at once. I mean Shado-Pan are quite small in numbers, it was shown in Townlong that they got stretched super thin.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-06-17 at 08:54 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    They are a sort of an espionage organisation with a religious background. Not the place to find the nicest people, just saying...
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    They are a sort of an espionage organisation with a religious background. Not the place to find the nicest people, just saying...
    Eh? What religion? Also, it's much more than espionage. They are basically THE army of pandaren. They are tasked with protecting entire border.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/st...a/red-blossoms

If I remember right less than half the new recruits survived to the end. Pretty metal.

""There are only six coins, and ten of you. I suggest that you swim quickly."

Swim?

With a clank, the chain holding one half of the bridge dropped from its mooring, and the applicants fell into the lake below, breaking jagged holes into the ice. They came up sputtering, shouting, bellowing, one voice screaming that he could not swim. There were a few seconds of terrifying chaos as some panicked and grabbed onto others, who responded violently with blows and curses to avoid being dragged down into the frigid depths. Those who had been dressed in fancy armor did not surface."
    This is just too dumb. WarCraft is not Warhammer 40k grimdark/derp, WarCraft is noblebright.
    It makes no sense to kill off recruits who cannot pass, they can be useful elsewhere. And... this totally contrasts with the rest of Pandaria. There is always need for simple guards or just farmers. Why basically kill those, who cannot be elites? Grimderp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are the only armed forces on the entire continent and are seriously understaffed while facing some highly dangerous threats. Being as brutal as possible is how they discourage enemies from launching attacks.

Kinda like Vlad the Impaler. He was as brutal as possible to his enemies because they outnumbered his forces a hundred to one and fear was the only weapon that could even the odds.

The Shado Pan are not cruel because they like it they are cruel because they have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    This is just too dumb. WarCraft is not Warhammer 40k grimdark/derp, WarCraft is noblebright.
    It makes no sense to kill off recruits who cannot pass, they can be useful elsewhere. And... this totally contrasts with the rest of Pandaria. There is always need for simple guards or just farmers. Why basically kill those, who cannot be elites? Grimderp.
    Um what? WoW is dark as hell just look at the Scourge, Old Horde, or Legion. Wow has some real nightmare fuel if you take more than a cursory glance.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2020-06-17 at 09:08 PM.