Uighur Exiles Push for Court Case Accusing China of Genocide

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/w...hur-court.html

The complaint at the International Criminal Court is the first of its kind to challenge Beijing on its crackdown on Muslims, but China does not accept the court’s jurisdiction.

Uighur exiles urged the International Criminal Court on Monday to investigate Beijing for genocide and crimes against humanity, the first-ever attempt to use international law to hold China’s ruling Communist Party accountable for its draconian crackdown on the Muslim minority.

A team of London-based lawyers representing two Uighur activist groups has filed a complaint against Beijing for pursuing the repatriation of thousands of Uighurs through unlawful arrests in or deportation from Cambodia and Tajikistan. The case could bring greater international scrutiny of the Chinese state’s power to impose its will beyond its borders.

The lawyers’ 80-page filing includes a list of more than 30 Chinese officials they said were responsible for the campaign, including Xi Jinping, the Communist Party leader.

Mr. Xi’s policies over recent years have put Muslim minorities in China’s western region of Xinjiang under a pervasive net of surveillance, detention and social re-engineering. As many as one million ethnic Uighurs and members of other Muslim minorities have been held in internment camps in the region, drawing growing global condemnation.

The court’s mandate is to seek justice for victims of genocide, war crimes and other atrocities. But China does not recognize its jurisdiction, raising the question of how far the case will go.

Rodney Dixon, a British lawyer leading the case, said it circumvented the issue of jurisdiction over Beijing by focusing on claims of unlawful acts by China in Cambodia and Tajikistan, two countries that are members of the court.

The lawyers’ 80-page filing includes a list of more than 30 Chinese officials they said were responsible for the campaign, including Xi Jinping, the Communist Party leader.

Mr. Xi’s policies over recent years have put Muslim minorities in China’s western region of Xinjiang under a pervasive net of surveillance, detention and social re-engineering. As many as one million ethnic Uighurs and members of other Muslim minorities have been held in internment camps in the region, drawing growing global condemnation.

The story continues in the article.

So, opinions? Any chance China actually faces any consequences over blatant genocide? Or will the West and Islamic world sell out their much-vaunted values because business?

10+ Year Old Account
    but China does not accept the court’s jurisdiction.
    @Stelio Kontos It is going to be awkward to try to go after China when the US won't allow the ICC to investigate either.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Nymrohd I'm aware that it isn't the US going after China, but you might want to look up the US and the ICC. For example:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tion-sanctions
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/11/polit...der/index.html
    https://www.npr.org/2020/03/05/81254...in-afghanistan

Yes, the ICC has tried to act on allegations of US misconduct. That hasn't gone well, and the US hasn't just robbed the ICC of support, it has set a precedent for sanctioning the ICC. With that, I can't see this going any better and the US really cannot back it without drawing back from some of the lines we've drawn.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    @Stelio Kontos It is going to be awkward to try to go after China when the US won't allow the ICC to investigate either.
    Pretty much, why on Earth should China give a fuck about the moral high ground when there is a USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Nothing will come of it short of some publicity for this Rodney Dixon fellow. The West is the divided, the Islamic world even more so, and neither actually care. Even if they were united and cared and the ICC mattered to China, China would remain untouchable on its own (and retain Russia's support, not that it'd be actually needed, but still).
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Good luck with that in China.
    Do you hear the voices too?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing gonna happen regardless of what the ICC rules
    The icc is a joke without any bite to it.

No international court will ever not be a laughing stock.
    The UN is founded on principles of respecting state sovereignty, how can any judical body whose authority flows from the UN ever do anything when they can never compel a state to answer charges and the entire process relies on voluntary participation?

More broadly international law on the whole is a joke. Most disputes just end on one party cracking the shits, kicking over the sandcastle and going home then we're just back to whoever has more guns wins.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/w...hur-court.html

The complaint at the International Criminal Court is the first of its kind to challenge Beijing on its crackdown on Muslims, but China does not accept the court’s jurisdiction.

Uighur exiles urged the International Criminal Court on Monday to investigate Beijing for genocide and crimes against humanity, the first-ever attempt to use international law to hold China’s ruling Communist Party accountable for its draconian crackdown on the Muslim minority.

A team of London-based lawyers representing two Uighur activist groups has filed a complaint against Beijing for pursuing the repatriation of thousands of Uighurs through unlawful arrests in or deportation from Cambodia and Tajikistan. The case could bring greater international scrutiny of the Chinese state’s power to impose its will beyond its borders.

The court’s mandate is to seek justice for victims of genocide, war crimes and other atrocities. But China does not recognize its jurisdiction, raising the question of how far the case will go.

Rodney Dixon, a British lawyer leading the case, said it circumvented the issue of jurisdiction over Beijing by focusing on claims of unlawful acts by China in Cambodia and Tajikistan, two countries that are members of the court.

The story continues in the article.

So, opinions? Any chance China actually faces any consequences over blatant genocide? Or will the West and Islamic world sell out their much-vaunted values because business?
    I like how you took accusations and then just wrote in the end as if it has been proven..

Western mindset 2020, accusations = proof

Yeah, I'm sure the CCP is shaking in their boots.

CCP is the Nazis of millennium obviously.
    They bribed UN, WHO and alike so noone makes any call against what they do.
    Lets not forget how they lied about the Chinese Wuhan virus.

https://youtu.be/TKpyaDZkNfU