Poll: Do you feel monster races are more a guy thing?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Are guys more likely to pick Monster races than girls?

It could just be my experience, but the majority of players that play Orcs, Trolls, Tauren and desire to play races like Naga are male (surprising seeing how female centric the Naga are).

Most of the girls I've met in warcraft either play Elves (vast majority blood and void elves, but also Night and Draenei females ), seen a much larger number play Vulpera too - but not your Orc, troll, worgen kind, and nearly all the requests for naga are from males.

Do you find this the case? And why do you think?

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's not uncommon that many males prefer stronger, more fierce-looking races while many women prefer cute and pretty ones. In my experience, many male Horde players actually play female races which surprises me since the male Horde races look more badass, in my opinion.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

For everything I prefer a human race. Playing a “monster” has zero interest to me. All my horde toons are belf cause it’s the closest human like race there.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    female races
    I didn't know the Asari were in WoW...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Impossible to tell, there's no way to gauge this. The women I know that plays WoW in my guild, for example:

-Two are Vulpera, one used to be a Blood Elf chick, the other was a Female Undead
    -Two are Female Blood Elf
    -One is a Female Mag'har Orc

That's three of possibly more than one million players.

I've mostly played female characters myself since TBC, I'm a male.

I'd much rather spend many hours a week looking at a woman than a man.

I'm a guy and I'd like to play monstergirls!

What do you mean that's not the topic..

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I can only speak for myself. I'm a male and I gravitate towards humans and blood/void elves (who are basically humans with slightly longer ears). I prefer races that look like humans. I'm not interested in playing weird races like orcs, tauren, or trolls because I can't relate to weird monsters.
    Yeh, but when you play these human looking races (understandble b/c you are human) aren't you playing chicks instead of dudes? Which means you're more interested in them cos they're sexy, looking.

I wonder if you would play Night elf, human or Belf males if females were not an option in wow?

I'm a big fat guy so I need a big and fat race!
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

This is a real why not both question.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I'm a guy and I'd like to play monstergirls!

What do you mean that's not the topic..
    Now that poleaxed me, I did not see that one coming. - monster girls aren't that popular, i mean the male Tauren and male orc greatly dwarf the female ones. I do see a few more female trolls than Id have though, but I wonder if that's more because many of the male players are off put by the totally bent back posture - even though I find the wow troll race cool.

I wonder if druids and hunters are popular too cos of the animals they can tame or change into.

For me it comes down to aesthetics and choice. Just going to go over core races. Keep in mind these are my opinions, but feel free to agree, disagree, or add to:

Humans: this race was done dirty. I don’t like playing them at all, as males don’t look right without beards, but yet mustaches look terrible. Females look either derpy or evil.

Dwarves: prefer females. Males, like humans, just don’t look like the artists put much into their faces.

Gnomes: prefer females. While the males aren’t bad, it seems like most of them are modeled to look like older men, while younger face models look derp or pushed off. The females at least come off as cutesy and hilarious for comedy reasons when used as a Warrior or DK.

Draenai: males looked like they skipped leg day. Body proportions are off and the way they are designed as humanoid it doesn’t look right. Females are at least proportionate, but it also seems like artists just wanted them to have puffed out chests.

Worgen: yeah, same issue with Draenai. Leg day skips but as monstrous werewolves it looks pretty awesome. Helmets suck though. Females don’t look good at all.

NE: both are pretty awesome looking.

Forsaken: I like them equally, but I’m not a fan of the hunched over look. Both screwed over from the broken armor look.

Orcs: Males over females here. Males just look burly and intimidating, but lose some points as none really look normal. Their faces range from less to more pissed off or just dumb faced. The females are decent but lose out to the males.

BE: females all the way. Males are too effeminate for me.

Tauren: males here, too. Have the same thing with skipping leg day but still looks awesome with the big, burly upper body and Minotauresque physique. Females models just look wrong.

Goblins: females for this one. Look at males and all I can think of is snot running down while drooling over money. Females actually seem to have hygiene while drooling over money.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Well, my question to you is

a) Kul'tiran male
    b) Tauren male
    c) Pandaren male
    d) Orc male

You got for choices for size XXXL

I'm a scrawny skinny dude, probably look more like the thin humans in Kul'tiras irl, but i could never play that, hence i gravitate to meatier options, however Draenei, orc, tauren are too meaty, - human, Belf, NElf are more around the ball park. Human i hate the look in armor and feels a bit derpy, Night elf i hate the proportions, i mean what's with those gorrilla arms?.. so naturally Belf has the level of fitness and posture, even if a bit pretty, they do give off a cool vibe (which is why i can't stand high elves - nothing cool about them)

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    For me it comes down to aesthetics and choice. Just going to go over core races. Keep in mind these are my opinions, but feel free to agree, disagree, or add to:

Humans: this race was done dirty. I don’t like playing them at all, as males don’t look right without beards, but yet mustaches look terrible. Females look either derpy or evil.

Dwarves: prefer females. Males, like humans, just don’t look like the artists put much into their faces.

Gnomes: prefer females. While the males aren’t bad, it seems like most of them are modeled to look like older men, while younger face models look derp or pushed off. The females at least come off as cutesy and hilarious for comedy reasons when used as a Warrior or DK.

Draenai: males looked like they skipped leg day. Body proportions are off and the way they are designed as humanoid it doesn’t look right. Females are at least proportionate, but it also seems like artists just wanted them to have puffed out chests.

Worgen: yeah, same issue with Draenai. Leg day skips but as monstrous werewolves it looks pretty awesome. Helmets suck though. Females don’t look good at all.

NE: both are pretty awesome looking.

Forsaken: I like them equally, but I’m not a fan of the hunched over look. Both screwed over from the broken armor look.

Orcs: Males over females here. Males just look burly and intimidating, but lose some points as none really look normal. Their faces range from less to more pissed off or just dumb faced. The females are decent but lose out to the males.

BE: females all the way. Males are too effeminate for me.

Tauren: males here, too. Have the same thing with skipping leg day but still looks awesome with the big, burly upper body and Minotauresque physique. Females models just look wrong.

Goblins: females for this one. Look at males and all I can think of is snot running down while drooling over money. Females actually seem to have hygiene while drooling over money.
    Tauren are very well proportioned it's got to be said. I'm not sure i dig how they did the neck leading up to the face though, I don't like forward neck, they did that with the night elf male too for the human looking races, worgen males have a bit of that.

Apart from that Tauren males are quite well proportioned. I know some girls that love Tauren females though, but don't like being called cows. Weird huh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    No, I play male human and male elf.
    For real? I thought you'd be female void elf all the way, and would be making an Alleria look alike as soon as you get the blood elf skin tones and hair colours - or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    My guy. Tauren life.

7+ Year Old Account
    People play what they find most appealing aesthetically.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    It could just be my experience, but the majority of players that play Orcs, Trolls, Tauren and desire to play races like Naga are male (surprising seeing how female centric the Naga are).

Most of the girls I've met in warcraft either play Elves (vast majority blood and void elves, but also Night and Draenei females ), seen a much larger number play Vulpera too - but not your Orc, troll, worgen kind, and nearly all the requests for naga are from males.

Do you find this the case? And why do you think?
    I never really thought about it, but I don't play as Horde.

i dunno the biggest hurdle for me is everything is designed for humans and then more often than not bent and stretched to fit the other races in ways that it just looks bad.
    i love the diverse cast of races wow have i just don't like the lazy approach to cosmetics.

obviously the non human races are more appealing.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Would I pick a monster race or a girl? Why not pick....the monster girl! ;D

There's no rule to what race or gender people play, it all comes down to personal preference. You can't assume a cute race is a girl irl, and you can't assume the worgen is a guy irl, both have both.