Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    That's sort of a semantic argument. Respect is no more than tolerating when it comes to other cultures. You respecting them by tolerating them and letting them abide by their culture.

Example: I can tolerate European xenoi coming to Greece with their different cultures, which is respecting their cultures by tolerating them, as long as they don't interfere with the prevailing culture. Even if I don't see anything of value in a culture, I will still respect its adherents by tolerating them.
    There is a big difference between tolerating something to exist, versus holding it to a high regard, which respect means.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You know that honour killing aren't a "Middle East" thing right? I guess I can't really expect people who hold views like yours to understand that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fe-killed.html

this is an honour killing too.

Also you should be aware that "harsh punishments" have bene shown through study after study that no... it doesn't do anything.
    Christianity is a religion with values from the middle east as well.

As for a motive, Irving Police Chief Jeff Spivey said he's more concerned about seeing justice done now that Said is in custody.
    Never quite understood how motives can be deemed irrelevant in cases such as these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Never quite understood how motives can be deemed irrelevant in cases such as these.
    It might be that the police chief is just punting on a highly divisive topic. Can't blame him, there aren't any good outcomes for him by opening that can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It might be that the police chief is just punting on a highly divisive topic. Can't blame him, there aren't any good outcomes for him by opening that can of worms.
    Yeah, well, sweeping sensitive issues under the carpet never solved anything, and it's not like the US isn't opening a bunch of cans of worms as we speak. What I find interesting are the criteria that dictate which particular cans can be opened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Yeah, well, sweeping sensitive issues under the carpet never solved anything, and it's not like the US isn't opening a bunch of cans of worms as we speak. What I find interesting are the criteria that dictate which particular cans can be opened.
    I don't necessarily agree with your premise, but the Police Chief didn't have any authority nor reason to even mention the motive - it was irrelevant to the arrest. Plus, law enforcement mentioning motive has the potential to create bias in the jury pool. I'm not saying the motive shouldn't be brought up, just that it wasn't appropriate for the Police Chief's to do so - it wasn't his job. It would be the prosecutor to breach that subject.

I agree that it is interesting which cans can be opened, and why/when.