Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What is your favourite thing to cook?

Chili. It is very satisfying. I don't like chopping vegetables though...but I like to stir everything afterwards though.

Braised beef short ribs. The effort/flavor ratio is through the damn roof. It's one of the best dishes in the world. Requires so little effort it is almost cheating to say you "cooked" in the same manner as making a pressed pork belly or a Wellington- way more work and skill and not as great a result. This is not to say a pressed pork belly confit, ratatouille, or Wellington are not delicious in their own right. I'm just not processing and preparing a Wellington on Tuesday night at home when Braised Short Ribs can be processed prepped in like 10 mins and returns a superior product.

I am also very satisfied whenever I make a really good stir fry on my outdoor propane burner/Wok. It's very difficult to get the heat at home for actual Wok based cooking in the US. So when I pull it off I am pretty impressed I made it as close to actual Wok cookery as I could in my current country.

The cuisine in Hong Kong is out of this fucking world.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Braised beef short ribs. The effort/flavor ratio is through the damn roof. It's one of the best dishes in the world. Requires so little effort it is almost cheating to say you "cooked" in the same manner as making a pressed pork belly or a Wellington- way more work and skill and not as great a result. This is not to say a pressed pork belly confit, ratatouille, or Wellington are not delicious in their own right. I'm just not processing and preparing a Wellington on Tuesday night at home when Braised Short Ribs can be processed prepped in like 10 mins and returns a superior product.

I am also very satisfied whenever I make a really good stir fry on my outdoor propane burner/Wok. It's very difficult to get the heat at home for actual Wok based cooking in the US. So when I pull it off I am pretty impressed I made it as close to actual Wok cookery as I could in my current country.

The cuisine in Hong Kong is out of this fucking world.

So braised short ribs is the equivalent to North American chili. that's cool.

Pasta....mostly because of the sauce and butter....hmmm butter.....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dayburner View Post
    So braised short ribs is the equivalent to North American chili. that's cool.
    Not that far off actually. I have made Chili Con Carne with beef short ribs plenty of times. I won a Chili cookoff in Niles with a variant recipe. I was in their local paper with my son. LOL

Edit: The money went to fund youth sports programs. I wasn't competing for cash. Just FYI.

I would love to try your chili

7+ Year Old Account
    Anything pasta related really.

Especially lasagna, i love me some good classic homemade lasagna.

Formerly known as Arafal

mushrooms. as well as being the best food, they smell amazing while cooking

I’ve been making a lot of fried rice lately. I like that it’s really versatile as to what you can put in there; I always have soy sauce, eggs, and garlic, so as long as I have some leftover rice and some veggies, I’m in business.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Steak.

So I can cook it right.

Bloody steak or dry steak is gross. Perfectly cooked steak with the right sauce is godly

I don't know if we have a favorite. We always like to experiment.

Some of the stuffs we tried to make during the lockout: (1) crispy Chinese pork belly (that one was mine), (2) deboned cornish game hen stuffed with sticky rice, Chinese sausage and ham (my wife), (3) bahn mi sandwich with home-made bread (I made the sandwich and the wife made the bread), (4) cornish game hen stuffed with all kind of mushrooms, ginko and ginseng (my wife). For bonus from last New Year's eve dinner at our cabin in the mountain - fish head stew (5).

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not the cooker in my family but I'm the only morning person and breakfast is my favorite meal;

Eggs & melted cheese.
    Biscuits & gravy or sourdough toast.
    Linguica or bacon.

Sometimes I watch "Guga Foods" on YouTube and it makes me wish I was better at cooking meat and especially steak!

Pasta Bolognese. It's a dish I make almost weekly and really like the process. It's chill, I can go check out stuff on a computer in between stirring the sauce and chat with friends on Whatsapp.

For dessert (or generally something sweet) I enjoy making non-oven cheesecakes. Quick and easy, tastes almost as good as something you'd put a lot of effort in.
    Last edited by Zuben; 2020-09-07 at 09:40 PM.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I'm not the cooker in my family but I'm the only morning person and breakfast is my favorite meal;

Eggs & melted cheese.
    Biscuits & gravy or sourdough toast.
    Linguica or bacon.

Sometimes I watch "Guga Foods" on YouTube and it makes me wish I was better at cooking meat and especially steak!
    Makaronipudding, Swedish style. We use only high quality ingredients such as bacon, high meat content sausage, proper cheese, and I've swapped the leek for shalotts. It's an amazing dish that only gets better as it ages! Works incredibly well to heat in the microwave! A relative small amount of ingredients will create 2 large trays of the stuff, lasting for 2 family dinners + worklunches.

Tjälknöl, made with moose meat sourced from a friend of the family. Takes a very long time for it to process, but the end result is amazing and doesn't require massive culinary efforts. One of few kinds of meats where I'm not extremely against eating it even a bit pink. Moose meat is not exactly widely obtainable though.

And one can never go wrong with a lasagna. God it's so GOOD!

7+ Year Old Account
    Sauces and/or soups.

Any time of the year, regardless of heat, I regularly make some kind of pasta sauce:
    - a simple sauce with just tomatoes and herbs
    - a tomato sauce with meatballs or sausage, often with roasted red peppers
    - clam sauce
    - alfredo sauce when I'm in the mood for something heavy

During the winter I usually have beef stew, chicken and dumplings, some kind of soup going on the stove top.

Nothing overly fancy but damn good.

I do slow cooked Bolognese every week, 2 hours to simmer and it melts in the mouth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pizza, from scratch, I even make the dough.
    Here is something to believe in!

7+ Year Old Account
    Cereal or anything out of a microwave.

BBQ. The flames, the sizzling, the smoke, the company and the beers that go with it and sometimes get poured over it. Very manly, 10/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My favorites are whatever my wife cooks as long as it is not okra. But she did find a way to add it to biscuits, which I will then eat. Not too bad fixed like that.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams