Thread: Genshin Impact

10+ Year Old Account
    So I started playing HSR on release as a gapfiller until TotK comes out next week and I am just burning through all ressources because I will probably not come back to the game (also played Genshin only for like 2 weeks when it released) but still kinda wanted to post my pulls up to now (full f2p):

E2 Seele / E0 Bailu / E0 Himeko / E3 Natasha / E3 Pela / E1 Serval / E1 Tingyun / E4 Hook (*sigh*) / E0 Sampo / E0 Arlan
    and a 5star Lightcone with Night on the Milky Way

Funniest moment was 3 days ago when I got 2 Seeles in a row.

Story is done, Trailblazer lvl is 36 and currently "stuck" on SU World 6 (but only gave it 1 try yesterday and got endboss in last phase to 40%..so schould be done soon) and FH stage 12 ( didnt really bother with it atm)
    Last edited by Sezerek; 2023-05-04 at 09:08 AM.

I love how determined people are to stay f2p. If you've put 30 hours into the game and plan to keep playing spending a little money isn't a big ask.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I love how determined people are to stay f2p. If you've put 30 hours into the game and plan to keep playing spending a little money isn't a big ask.
    It's not about determination, it's about how much disposable income you have. Some people have a lot, some people barely have any.

1. It's the same deal in GI and HSR. The game is easy enough why would you dish out hundreds of dollars to make it even easier.
    2. If you were actually going to splurge money on a game like this, I couldn't imagine getting less bang for your buck than a gacha game.
    3. A gacha game from China is a combined 2 counts of things I'd prefer not to financially support

I'm not saying break the bank. Just a few bucks here and there. Like I've spent money on those contracts in the store to save myself some time grinding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    1. It's the same deal in GI and HSR. The game is easy enough why would you dish out hundreds of dollars to make it even easier.
    2. If you were actually going to splurge money on a game like this, I couldn't imagine getting less bang for your buck than a gacha game.
    3. A gacha game from China is a combined 2 counts of things I'd prefer not to financially support
    4. Its gona shut down one day and you gona lose all you earned like every other gatcha. (or MMO .. still salty on wildstar)
    5. Supporting games like this reduces the quality of all games overall as money that you could put into another game that put more effort in (and you keep it forever) will get a version 2 in future for sure.
    6. Gatcha games are not healty for people overall, as people can get addicted to lootboxes and they will keep opening and opening and after a while they will spend more and more money. It doesnt matter how much money you make, as even a addict can spend to much that they will need later in life for important things. (for example -- fixing car/medical service/house fire/earthquake/food and medicine/basic hygenic products/electric bill and so on)
    7. Staying and spending as little as possible on gatcha is good overall for the game, as they will either shut down the game or improve it.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to be fair something like 60 bucks AAA price won't give you much in HSR either.

Battle Pass is most efficient use of $$, but it will take you a whole patch to get something like 20 rolls.

While slapping 60 bucks on jade directly won't even be enough to reach soft pity by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    4. Its gona shut down one day and you gona lose all you earned like every other gatcha. (or MMO .. still salty on wildstar)
    5. Supporting games like this reduces the quality of all games overall as money that you could put into another game that put more effort in (and you keep it forever) will get a version 2 in future for sure.
    6. Gatcha games are not healty for people overall, as people can get addicted to lootboxes and they will keep opening and opening and after a while they will spend more and more money. It doesnt matter how much money you make, as even a addict can spend to much that they will need later in life for important things. (for example -- fixing car/medical service/house fire/earthquake/food and medicine/basic hygenic products/electric bill and so on)
    7. Staying and spending as little as possible on gatcha is good overall for the game, as they will either shut down the game or improve it.
    That is so much bullshit packed into such a small package I don't even know how to start unpacking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    That is so much bullshit packed into such a small package I don't even know how to start unpacking it.
    Gaidax slapped down $1200 on the gacha and still isn't defending the gacha.

Be more like Gaidax.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post

Be more like Gaidax.
    I'm not? The system sucks, but you get by far the best value for money with minimal spending. If you want and can afford to spend money, spend it, if you don't, just don't, no need to moralize either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    I'm not? The system sucks, but you get by far the best value for money with minimal spending. If you want and can afford to spend money, spend it, if you don't, just don't, no need to moralize either way.
    I kind of agree with the whole it's your money thing. But to deny it doesn't slowly erode away at the gaming market and games services is a bit naive. It's makes so much money why would you not copy it

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of agree with the whole it's your money thing. But to deny it doesn't slowly erode away at the gaming market and games services is a bit naive. It's makes so much money why would you not copy it
    There is a limit of how many people you can trick into that system.
    A history can repeat itself:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Because it's been proven time and time again that the system doesn't work if the game itself isn't fun to play. It's easy to say you can trick people out of their money with minimal effort but the reality is if you deliver a good game people will be more willing to spend money on it and if the game is fun who cares what they charge money for?

Quote Originally Posted by Gomelus View Post
    It's not about determination, it's about how much disposable income you have. Some people have a lot, some people barely have any.
    Honestly, It's not only about that.

I don't want to talk too much about my money, but I have disposable income and when I really want the .jpg aka character, I will spend money on a banner/character. So I feel like I have to make it clear that I will eventually end up spending more than just 6-20€ a month.

But you simply get so little value out of your $$ in Mihoyo games, it's almost insulting.

The quality of the game itself is not bad. The music is top notch, I can respect stuff like that. Character design is usually well done as well. The VA is good, the animations are neat etc. etc.
    But ~200€ for a single character on average (didn't calculate it... but that's probably somewhat close)? That's like paying 200€ for a steak. It's so not worth it. As long as you still have a connection and "use" for money, you understand that and will at least *try* to avoid it - or think before spending it.

But as mentioned, I do eventually get sucked into it and then I start spending but I don't know how much I'd have to earn to say "oh yea, just 1500€ for a maxxed out character....who cares". Probably 300.000-500.000/year or something...

Anyway...

It's a bit hard to explain the reasoning for me, but the biggest issue I have with the shop is that they don't actually offer any good "deals".
    For example: "10 pulls for 3€ every 2 weeks" is still an actual insane amount of money for the gaming industry (considering how little you get from 10 pulls). But even that doesn't exist....all these premium currency games have basically nothing like that ALONGSIDE the whale packages.
    Either it's a "one time bonus", which exists to get you into the system, or it costs a fortune.

It's what makes me believe they think "either you spend 50-100€/week, or you are not even a customer to us" - it just doesn't feel.... nice.
    I'm sure there are more people like me who just don't want to support that, even if they could technically easily buy all the banner characters etc. ... for me however, that's still money "lost", even if it would just be in some bank-account doing nothing.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2023-05-05 at 11:45 PM.

Finally an easy abyss lol. Hyperbloom part 1 and raiden national part 2. Did not even need any rerun for the burst. Did all floor all star first try.

10+ Year Old Account

Be more like Gaidax.
    More like ~$7k so far Genshin and HSR combined. HSR I'm around ~$2.5k.

I don't mind, I earn that money with my own two hands.

I'm just real here, spending 60-100 bucks is nothing in these games. You literally won't even guarantee that one thing you may want at its base level.

It'd be okay to tell someone to "spend a little money" on HSR, but it's just not going to do anything, as long as it's actually little. Thus, only thing to advise is Battle Pass and then play the game and do events to eventually build account, just like Genshin, while keeping in mind it will be a year(s) long process to even get anywhere.

In a better world, schemes like these would be actually regulated and limited, because it's really a piece of shit greedy crap. But here we are...

At the very least in case of Genshin they do reinvest that $$ into the game, that's why it's actually so good, as long as you don't expect some hardcore experience. I hope HSR will keep up with Genshin quality-wise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    There is a limit of how many people you can trick into that system.
    A history can repeat itself:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983
    Is there?

Because let me tell you right now, unless something monumental happens - this will only grow and expand. You all literally have gaming consoles in your pockets, and this will only grow.

Like there legit needs to be WW3 or some crazy ass full balls to the wall US/EU laws package targeting this, for it to change for better and not naturally progress this rot further.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    More like ~$7k so far Genshin and HSR combined. HSR I'm around ~$2.5k.

I don't mind, I earn that money with my own two hands.

I'm just real here, spending 60-100 bucks is nothing in these games. You literally won't even guarantee that one thing you may want at its base level.

It'd be okay to tell someone to "spend a little money" on HSR, but it's just not going to do anything, as long as it's actually little. Thus, only thing to advise is Battle Pass and then play the game and do events to eventually build account, just like Genshin, while keeping in mind it will be a year(s) long process to even get anywhere.

In a better world, schemes like these would be actually regulated and limited, because it's really a piece of shit greedy crap. But here we are...

At the very least in case of Genshin they do reinvest that $$ into the game, that's why it's actually so good, as long as you don't expect some hardcore experience. I hope HSR will keep up with Genshin quality-wise.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there?

Because let me tell you right now, unless something monumental happens - this will only grow and expand. You all literally have gaming consoles in your pockets, and this will only grow.

Like there legit needs to be WW3 or some crazy ass full balls to the wall US/EU laws package targeting this, for it to change for better and not naturally progress this rot further.
    Lots of gatcha games get shut down not long after release because it turns out people won't spend money if the game isn't good enough to encourage it. It's not like crappy games are raking in billions while doing nothing to earn it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's been proven time and time again that the system doesn't work if the game itself isn't fun to play. It's easy to say you can trick people out of their money with minimal effort but the reality is if you deliver a good game people will be more willing to spend money on it and if the game is fun who cares what they charge money for?
    True, that's why Genshin is so successful.

When all is said and done - it's a really good RPG game that it's really accessible. It remains to be seen if HSR manages to be anywhere near that and my personal opinion - it won't. It will probably be a niche Hoyo product that will probably do ok just on name alone, but it won't be Genshin sensation.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of gatcha games get shut down not long after release because it turns out people won't spend money if the game isn't good enough to encourage it. It's not like crappy games are raking in billions while doing nothing to earn it.
    Yes, but you do need to take note of the developer track record too.

I am fully confident HSR at the very worst will be around for 3-4 years at the very least, because Hoyo can afford it and just killing it off would damage their subsequent releases.

You also, as a gamer playing these games need to be aware that such games have a shelf life. I know full well that Genshin one day will end and HSR too. Will I then cry over my $7k? No I won't, just like I won't cry over many other thousands of dollars I spent for various forms and shapes of entertainment in the past that I can no longer even recall.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    But you simply get so little value out of your $$ in Mihoyo games, it's almost insulting.
    The only thing I'd really correct here is to say "you simply get so little value out of your $$ in gacha games". It's not a Mihoyo thing, it's basically the entire genre.

But TBH in some ways that's a good thing... if the prices in Star Rail were even close to reasonable I'd be a lot more tempted to spend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have so many characters now. Qingque, who is neat. Arlan, who I'm not sure of (especially with Bailu, she heals randomly so Arlan wouldn't be able to keep low HP). Lost the 50/50 to Yanqing. Lotta damage, but single target, I'd rather keep using Herta. E3 Hook, but for fire I'd rather stick with Asta (she melts shields especially when there's only one enemy). For four stars I still want Tingyun and Sampo. Five stars I want Clara at least. Not digging the element disparity. I have four ice characters (and two are free), three lightning, two fire, a wind and a quantum. There's only one imaginary character and he's a five star. Two quantums one being a five star. Kinda like pyro/cryo Impact all over again.