Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    GoGs buisness model is to make games run on current computers, because there is a nieche of people who want to play their old games but can't play them on their new computer.

It's a small amount of people but thanks to the witcher money they seem to do okay for themselves.

I don't think there are more than 5 people in the world who want to play their old game on their old computer, but also don't want to/can't just play their old game but a new digital version of it.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    GoGs buisness model is to make games run on current computers, because there is a nieche of people who want to play their old games but can't play them on their new computer.

It's a small amount of people but thanks to the witcher money they seem to do okay for themselves.

I don't think there are more than 5 people in the world who want to play their old game on their old computer, but also don't want to/can't just play their old game but a new digital version of it.
    I think there's quite a few of them potentially, but the price and/or holds them back. Getting your hands on good old hardware is getting increasingly expensive as the market grows (and yup, it's growing), & those big beige boxes & CRTs sure do take up a lot of room. It's why I've yet to try Retro PC stuff myself despite being very interested.

Like I said earlier in the thread, all they need to do is offer an unmodified version alongside a modified version. I don't think the OP is asking for too much when you put it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post

Like I said earlier in the thread, all they need to do is offer an unmodified version alongside a modified version. I don't think the OP is asking for too much when you put it like that.
    I'm not sure how easy that is (probably very easy to impossible on a case by case basis ), but yeah, that sounds reasonable.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Lately I tried a whole bunch of GoG games on my Win98SE and XP machines and almost none worked. Seems like they are changing system requirements/dependencies. Anyone else noticed this? I understand they want to make it more compatible with modern machines but they should ADD compatibility not swap it around and break the system it originally was created for. Not buying from them anymore, back the "arr matey" way.
    Wh.. why would you run games in those legacy OS? Are you the LGR youtuber?
    You don't understand. Having an unpayed full time job that no one appreciates is the magic of classic.

It's about the journey. The journey into depression. The journey of running a daycare full of middle-aged alcoholics ignoring their SOs and avoiding social engagements to fulfill something they wanted 15 years ago before everyone realized it's not hard at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know exactly what you mean OP! The other day I went into Best Buy and purchased a copy of Raider of the Lost Ark but when I got home and tried to play it on my VHS player, the movie was on this strange round piece of blue plastic and wouldn't even fit! How dare they not cater to people like me who want the movie in it's original format! They should carry movies from the 70's and 80's on VHS in addition to whatever these new formats are for other retro people like me.

This is the silliest thread I have seen in some time.

I try to run software on the machine it was made for. I got about 25 pc's here covering a vast range of operating systems ready to use. I do also have a Win10 machine as my daily driver obviously. Just that I don't want good old games on win10. I want my good old games on my good old hardware.

But the point has been made that GoG does not care about retro gamers but targets the mainstream crowd. Point noted.
    What's the point of that?

GoG is trying to make old games run on contemporary operating systems, not the other way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine using windows xp in 2020 and then complain it doesnt work properly anymore.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Then GoG isn't for you, it's working fine for it's intended purpose.

Lately I tried a whole bunch of GoG games on my Win98SE and XP machines and almost none worked. Seems like they are changing system requirements/dependencies. Anyone else noticed this? I understand they want to make it more compatible with modern machines but they should ADD compatibility not swap it around and break the system it originally was created for. Not buying from them anymore, back the "arr matey" way.
    I kind of agree, they should make both legacy and modern versions available, however since you own it you are free to get any version of said game even if you downloaded it via torrents etc.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is the literal definition of a "you problem"

This is an obvious troll, as if he has 25 PCs running at home...

NEXT!

/10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    why are you running ancient operating systems and expecting them to run something that REQUIRES AT A MINIMUM WINDOWS VISTA/7.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not? The games are designed for these "legacy systems". It works if I download the original iso's but feels wrong having to resort to piracy for something I own legit.
    if you own them legit then why not use the actual games?

- - - Updated - - -

I try to run software on the machine it was made for. I got about 25 pc's here covering a vast range of operating systems ready to use. I do also have a Win10 machine as my daily driver obviously. Just that I don't want good old games on win10. I want my good old games on my good old hardware.

But the point has been made that GoG does not care about retro gamers but targets the mainstream crowd. Point noted.
    is there any specific reason you want to run it on a unsupported operating system that gog EXPLICITLY TELLS YOU IS NOT SUPPORTED WHEN YOU BUY IT or are you just looking for a reason to complain? there is a secondhand market for the use your looking for.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I am really laughing at this. Those operating systems aren't supported by their maker anymore yet you expect a company bend over backwards to make games work in them? While simultaneously making those games work in modern systems as well? This has to be some troll bait, no-one does this. You didn't do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kukkamies View Post
    It wasn't ye, and Gog still sucks with them. Last game that's not exclusive to them I'll buy and refund there as Steam and Epic Store are much more consumer friendly.
    you have to be joking. gog even has a longer refund policy then steam. gog has a objectively better refund policy than steam. gog also doesn't have a time played limit for the 30 day refund period.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    I think there's quite a few of them potentially, but the price and/or holds them back. Getting your hands on good old hardware is getting increasingly expensive as the market grows (and yup, it's growing), & those big beige boxes & CRTs sure do take up a lot of room. It's why I've yet to try Retro PC stuff myself despite being very interested.

if you really want to do that then you save up the money.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Does OP also download a snes emulator to then complain he can’t run the emulator on a snes?

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Does OP also download a snes emulator to then complain he can’t run the emulator on a snes?
    .....you actually can you know

Why not? The games are designed for these "legacy systems". It works if I download the original iso's but feels wrong having to resort to piracy for something I own legit.
    Wrong, GoG modifies games so they work on modern systems.

Like, you know, legacy software on modern hardware.

If you want the OG stuff, the internet is there for you to download an old copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    These old games do not run on new systems so yes they have to add a shell around it to make them work and that can cause them not to work on the original old systems.

Losing backwards compatibility to allow these older games to still be played on new pc's is, imo, a small price to pay to stop them from vanishing completely.
    Exactly right, I personally am glad to be able to buy old games like Outlaws (from GoG) that I actually have a disc copy of but I can't play it because those late 90s games will not play on a modern system. Its just not worth trying to keep an old system around for just a few games and dealing with all the old Windows problems as well as hardware that can only get worse as it gets older.