I mean, just the juxtaposition of the oldest US president in history old-man walking out to basically a WWE intro to a cheering crowd of people in another country is so hilarious to me. Like, this has to be the continuation of some intergalactic reality TV show and now we're getting to the "unintentionally funny" bits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, just to be fair and balanced:

FOX News yells "Hatch Act!" into the microphone for the next four hours trying to distract from the L in 787-point font they just got handed.

Apparently some Biden employee endorsed a candidate in 2022's election cycle. And no, you're not allowed to do that.

Wake me when Team Trump suffers a single penalty for their Hatch Act violations, many of which involved advertising their own product for money. Until I see FOX News outrage about that, which it's been years and we haven't, their outrage at this will be treated as false and deflection material.

Not defending....what was his name...Xavier Bacerra, but again, FOX News has zero right to the moral high ground here. Posting the article actually shames them more than it helps them.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...a5ace09cbb1eed

I appreciate the Associated Press highlighting who each political party is speaking to on the debt ceiling issue.

This week’s split-screen presentations, which began with McCarthy delivering a speech on Wall Street, vividly displayed how Biden and the speaker are talking to two very different Americas.
    Ah yes, Republicans speaking to their strong base of "Real Americans(TM)". Wall Street traders and bankers. Meanwhile

Standing in a steel garage and workshop, Biden pointedly noted the contrast, telling the members of International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 77 that while “I’m here in the union hall with you, Speaker McCarthy just got finished speaking to Wall Street two days ago.”
    Democrats, speaking with blue-collar workers and union members. The people who actually make things.

Commenting in kind, McCarthy said, “President Biden is skipping town to deliver a speech in Maryland rather than sitting down to address the debt ceiling.” He also insisted that House Republicans were the ones acting responsibly by insisting on reining in the federal government’s spending habits.
    McCarthy, ignoring that he also skipped town to deliver his speech.

“If you gave your child a credit card and they kept maxing out the limit, you wouldn’t blindly raise the limit. You’d change their behavior,” McCarthy said. “The same is true with our national debt.”
    Republicans still don't understand that countries and families operate differently when it comes to budgets and money.

To his credit, Biden isn't mincing words really -

“They say they’re going to default unless I agree to all these wacko notions they have,” Biden said. “Default would be worse than totally irresponsible.”
    Because yes, default would be beyond irresponsible and would be entirely the fault of House Republicans. As every time the US has faced issues with the debt ceiling, including government closures, it has been Republicans responsible for it.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/resourc...-in-the-nation

More broadly, if Democrats want to dominate, or gain ground, in many states they struggle in, Michigan just gave them a roadmap. Granted we largely knew this, but now we've got more data -

oung people in Michigan turned out to vote last November at a higher rate than anywhere else in the country, according to the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE) at Tufts University.

Voters ages 18-29 turned out at a rate of 37% in Michigan, higher than any other state CIRCLE analyzed, and far higher than the national average youth turnout rate of 23%. Additionally, Michigan was one of only four states where youth turnout was higher in 2022 than in 2018.

“We continue working with Michigan’s colleges and universities and their local clerks to ensure young citizens can conveniently cast their ballot and know how to do so, and I’m thrilled to see data recognizing the impact of our work,” said Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson. “A strong democracy requires informed and engaged citizens - and Michigan is leading the way in ensuring our youngest voters are active participants in determining our future."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2322772.html

Since this is about Biden, I will put it here. It should also be in the McCarthy congress thread too about how fucking INEPT the Republican congress truly is. Every since they got the majority, all they have done is lie and pander to the Fox News viewers that they have all kinds of evidence against Biden, and then here they are today, admitting they have nothing.

I guess that moron Comer realized that if they went after Biden for anything, they would have to probably do the same about Trump. Even though he has clearly done illegal things like his Nepotism with his daughter and Son In Law, and they find nothing with Joe Biden and Hunter Biden.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/19/polit...den/index.html

So there's apparently an IRS whistleblower with big claims that there's interference and mishandling of the Hunter Biden probe. Serious stuff and worth looking into if true! Also conveniently timed to a concerted push from Greene and a lot of other Republicans who all have apparently taken trips to the Treasury department to see DAMNING PROOF OF THE BIDEN CRIME FAMILY that apparently they can't be bothered to hand to the FBI.

Anyways, adding a considerable amount of ammo to the, "This is as bullshit as those FBI whistleblowers Republicans had that disappeared." - https://nypost.com/2023/04/20/merric...wer-claim/amp/

Attorney General Merrick Garland is the unnamed official whose sworn testimony before Congress is being challenged in a bombshell letter from an IRS whistleblower’s attorney that also alleges a coverup in the Hunter Biden criminal investigation, The Post has learned.
    I'm...very disinclined to believe Garland, a guy who has spent the past three years so far pissing off liberals across the country with his timidity and refusal to go hard on obvious violations of the law by Trump administration members to avoid the appearance of partisanship, would be so brazenly partisan like this.

Please do investigate and all, but I don't believe this for a second based off the minimal information revealed so far. Especially given the coincidental timing previously mentioned and that you just recently had Oversight chair Comer complaining that they're trying their damndest but just haven't found anything illegal in relation to any of the Bidens or the Biden administration, so far.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/deporte...en-laura-meza/

When she was deported from the U.S. in shackles, Laura Meza was a 28-year-old single mother and U.S. Army veteran struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder, a crippling drug addiction and deep regrets over a series of mistakes that had led to her banishment.

Earlier this week, Meza set foot on American soil for the first time in over 14 years as a 42-year-old grandmother who, while still dealing with PTSD, had changed her life around and earned a rare opportunity to return to the country she served in uniform during the war in Iraq.

"I'm still walking on clouds. This is like a dream. This is a dream. I've been praying for this for 16 years," Meza told CBS News after landing at Dulles International Airport from Costa Rica late Sunday night, referring to her two years in jail and immigration detention and 14 years outside the U.S.

Donning a black "deported veterans" shirt with an American flag, fatigues and boots, Meza embraced her family after she and her 12-year-old Costa Rican-born son, Jaden, were released from Customs and Border Protection custody just after 2 a.m on Monday.

She met her 2-year-old granddaughter for the first time. She hugged her daughter and sister, who were 9 and 18 when she was deported from the U.S. Meza's father, stepmother and niece were also there to welcome her with flowers.
    Apparently the Biden administration has been putting some serious effort into bringing veterans who served and ended up deported, back home. Which is great. Don't give a shit about these people being undocumented previously or anything, they signed up, they served the country, they earned their place here. Period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...anada-65379840

Biden confirms he is running in 2024 (To the surprise of very few)

This is where I rant about Biden but in the end I will decide to vote against incoming fascism. Like me, Biden s approval or excitement is not great.

Oof and Kamala Harris.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2023-04-25 at 11:29 AM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

From an outside perspective, Biden running again, just seems like a huge mistake.

I don't know if he's the "endorsed" candidate of the Democratic Party, but you'd think they want someone new at this point.

Sure, the country kind of "runs" itself, but Biden simply doesn't seem fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfunk View Post
    Sure, the country kind of "runs" itself, but Biden simply doesn't seem fit.
    We've seen the country "run itself" under Trump. We know what damage the man at the top can cause if they try to ruin the country. Biden is objectively in better health and objectively has kept the country in better shape than Trump. At this point, no reasonable person should say "Biden doesn't seem fit" unless they immediately follow it with "but he seems more fit than Trump, and those are the two options".

When the GOP brings another option to the table, we can return to this discussion. Until then, Biden is objectively the better choice.

There's no one even near to where Biden is in terms of electability. And in consideration of the opposition, he's a safe bet.

In my opinion de democrats would be better off with a younger candidate. Having said that, I hope Biden wins.

Wish Joe Biden was 20 years younger, my only issue with him is that he's old. But I've been pleasantly surprised with how progressive his administration is (relative to what we usually get / are used to) so I'll happily vote for him if he's the candidate. Especially against Republicans. I only hope that his age and Kamala Harris don't scare off the essential independents/moderates...but I think we can all agree that the general hatred/exhaustion of Trump/Republicans will continue to be the defining factor of elections.

Even if Republicans found a way to get Teddy Roosevelts' corpse up and moving again as their nominee, I would be extremely skeptical. And not even just about the necromancy. It's been too long since they actually had a serious candidate. Well, serious about actual issues.
    Last edited by Skjaldborg; 2023-04-25 at 01:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldborg View Post
    Even if Republicans found a way to get Teddy Roosevelts' corpse up and moving again as their nominee
    It's a tad off-topic, but TR would never champion the current GOP. Other than the fact they have big game hunters, they don't stand for anything he was famous for. Teddy championed national parks, started the FDA, and was a police commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldborg View Post
    Even if Republicans found a way to get Teddy Roosevelts' corpse up and moving again as their nominee, I would be extremely skeptical. And not even just about the necromancy. It's been too long since they actually had a serious candidate. Well, serious about actual issues.
    Pardon my historical nitpick, but Teddy Roosevelt was a republican back when the party was liberal/progressive. The two parties would switch ideologies after WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but who is there that could go up against Trump right now and win?
    Afroman

(or anyone with a set of policies that explain exactly what the good life looks like and how they are going to make sure every american gets it)

15+ Year Old Account
    There unfortunately aren't any star Democrats that have the age, experience, and inclination right now. Biden beat Trump handily in 2020 and his track record has been solid so far, even more progressive than expected. He's inoffensive unless you're a MAGA whacko.

I wish there were some real rising stars, though. Obama, while I'm not a fan of his policies, was incredibly charismatic and had just a huge amount of excitement around him, even back when he was elected to Congress. We need more of that.

It's not going to happen, but I wish Jon Stewart would run for office.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but who is there that could go up against Trump right now and win?
    I think the problem is Trump represents such a threat that democrats are not willing to take the risk. However the bigger long term problem is that the DNC doesn't have a DeSantis, Matt Gaetz or Marjorie Taylor Green to take up the mantle. Most of the "stars" of the party are around Biden's age and won't be around much longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There's no one even near to where Biden is in terms of electability. And in consideration of the opposition, he's a safe bet.
    I think Biden's awful overall. The big question, as you suggest, is "who the fuck else?"

I think there's strong potential candidates in there, but they're also not challenging Biden (which is smart, IMO), but my picks are largely going to drive a wedge into the political divides in the USA. AOC, for instance; She's whip-smart, she's a great speaker, and she can murder pretty much anyone in a public debate. She's got enough experience to make a run, at this point, and she's got plenty of strong ideas and the ability to effectively communicate them in simple terms. I figure it's a matter of "when", not "if", she runs for President. I think she'd be fantastic and she'll be 35 before she'd take office in 2024. But she's still young and there's plenty of career time for her to push off a run to 2028, and not be seen as bucking the incumbent for personal ego reasons.

And that's the big strength of Biden; he represents a calm unity in the Democratic Party. Not everyone agrees with him, but they're all willing to work with him, and when you've got a Republican Party that can't even elect a Speaker without repeat votes and desperate backroom shenanigans, unity in and of itself is a virtue. Stability, as your enemies stab each other in their backs over and over. The old "don't interrupt your enemy when they're making a mistake" kind of deal.

I'd love to see Biden pull out for health reasons (or whatever) and open the field up to other candidates, but I don't expect that to happen, and a contentious primary for an incumbent just puts the Democratic Party into the same appearance of chaos as the Republicans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden just can't run as an Anti-Trump!
    Dems can't focus on abortion!

People with chronically bad political takes "don't get" Biden... again, his greatest strength is ignoring Very Online People. They just cannot grok him. There memes fail....

SPOTTED on the new Biden presidential campaign website’s 404 page: Dark Brandon.

Also a shirt. Hop in Jack, we're going to trigger some fools.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfunk View Post
    From an outside perspective, Biden running again, just seems like a huge mistake.
    Biden is the best option the Democrats have and is more or less a guaranteed 2024 win barring some huge scandal between now and then. Trump stands no chance, DeSantis stands no chance after his signing the 6 week abortion bill, and no one else comes close to them.