Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    You need to play the game to play the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you don't have a steady source of self healing it can be pretty difficult, try and pick up some extra health and healing. Don't get baited by some weird epic power that doesn't actually do something useful, often a common power that gives straight up single target damage is the best choice.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Dervrak View Post
    It really all depends on class, my Destruction Warlock can almost sleepwalk level 3, because of using Voidlord to tank, all my shielding and healing mechanisms and the ability to whittle down large groups with my AOE Rain of Fire and Cataclysm, add to the the fact I can skip all the trap rooms simply by using my demonic portal. However, after breezing through with my Warlock, I tried the same thing with my Fury Warrior of comparable item level and it was a tedious slog because of the lack of reliable healing, no way to avoid trap rooms, and no real good AOE abilities.
    I'm certainly noticing the AoE target limit on my Ret Pally. Pulls take longer than I expect and I take more damage because some mobs just aren't being damaged. Nothing quite like a 'big' AoE firing off and killing... some mawrats.

I have a friend that started playing around 1 month ago, maybe a bit more.
    And she did struggle a good amount even with the first floor of the tower. So I do agree, it might be a little bit hard on newer players. But should we expect completely new players to be able to handle it, is my question!

Most people struggling with Torgast are also making poor decisions when picking powers. The first and most important question when choosing a power is how often will it be active and when it's active, will it be important?

That means that powers like maw rats exploding for damage are completely wasted picks, never pick something so specific for something so unimportant. In general, you want to pick one or two anima that enhance your survival and utility. For example on Retribution Paladin there is a power that has a chance to stun an enemy when dealing Holy Damage which works on everything, trash and boss alike and will be good in every situation. You don't want to pick powers that make easy fights easier. You want to pick powers that make hard fights manageable (which means elite/rar mobs and bosses). More AoE damage is a trap pick, it will make you feel strong in the lower floors but you will get your ass kicked against 1-2 elite or the boss. Same goes for stuff that is temporary like buffs after kills, it's a "win more" power and its useless.

TLDR:

1: Pick Damage powers that are ALWAYS active and useful in important fights (elite, bosses).
    2: Avoid trap powers like kill buffs, movement speed, most maw rat powers.
    3: Try and get some survival and utility powers that make hard fights easier (stuns, interrupts and slows for kiting).
    4: Avoid AoE power at all costs, they are "win more" powers that you generally not need.

A lot of it is spec and gear. Fighting some of the bosses as a itemlvl 150ish BM hunter they were somewhat challenging, had to keep healing up on the pet. I can't imagine how a mage could possibly beat them without vastly superior gear or very lucky anima power RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Most people struggling with Torgast are also making poor decisions when picking powers. The first and most important question when choosing a power is how often will it be active and when it's active, will it be important?

That means that powers like maw rats exploding for damage are completely wasted picks, never pick something so specific for something so unimportant. In general, you want to pick one or two anima that enhance your survival and utility. For example on Retribution Paladin there is a power that has a chance to stun an enemy when dealing Holy Damage which works on everything, trash and boss alike and will be good in every situation. You don't want to pick powers that make easy fights easier. You want to pick powers that make hard fights manageable (which means elite/rar mobs and bosses). More AoE damage is a trap pick, it will make you feel strong in the lower floors but you will get your ass kicked against 1-2 elite or the boss. Same goes for stuff that is temporary like buffs after kills, it's a "win more" power and its useless.

TLDR:

1: Pick Damage powers that are ALWAYS active and useful in important fights (elite, bosses).
    3: Try and get some survival and utility powers that make hard fights easier (stuns, interrupts and slows for kiting).
    4: Avoid AoE power at all costs, they are "win more" powers that you generally not need.
    This is good advice. This is pretty much the thought process i use for powers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post

TLDR:

I would add a caveat about the one maw rat power that gives you a 1% boost to max health for every maw rat you kill, it's actually one of the better powers...IF....you get it as one of your first few drops on level one, but I would never take it past level 2 . One run I got it early and ended up with a 60K health bar going into the final boss (and that was on a Warlock) add to that the fact that most of the Warlock damage shields, health stones and other healing mechanisms are based on a percentage of max health and I was popping 15K damage shields on top of my 60K health bar. I could pretty much just ignore the boss mechanics (stand in the acid puddle, and fire off spells, sure why not?)
    Last edited by Dervrak; 2020-12-02 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    I find Torghast fun, but I feel like 3/4 of my abilities are the generic secondary stat increase or something that synergizes with Door of Shadows. Don't know if that's just me or if every Venthyr has this problem.
    Trust me the door of shadows upgrade is 10 times better than anything nightfae. I changed to the fae this week and all the abilities are speed boosts or some bullshit, made me miss the venthyr upgrades.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    I noticed that on floor3, next to the vendor, there is now a little 3D image of the end boss.
    Ooooh, so that was what the small purple ooz is. I noticed it when buying some upgrades and didn't realise it's the boss, tried to stand on it thinking its some buff smh.

It feels over tuned to me. Being 160 ilvl and still having trouble capping doesn't feel great.

The challenge is probably way different depending on your spec though. I imagine any self healing tank breezes through. Also DKs can just enslave an undead for big easy mode.

On my Unholy DK if I get Horsemans Call then Torghast Level 3 is a joke to solo. Even if the last boss hits like a truck by the time they kill one of the Horseman its already GG's. Ive been soloing level 3 Torghast at 150ilvl. Now that my ilvl is higher its even easier. So far I have gotten the horseman power almost every torghast run and the one time I did not is when I had a struggle to kill the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlaid View Post
    The challenge is probably way different depending on your spec though.
    It's VERY dependent on class/spec. I've seen Rogues complain left and right their powers suck and they get stomped by bosses if they have poor power RNG during the run.

Meanwhile my warlock just strolls through it even in shitty 160 blue gear, because lock anima powers are amazing and being ranged + pet just makes everything so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlaid View Post
    It feels over tuned to me. Being 160 ilvl and still having trouble capping doesn't feel great.

The challenge is probably way different depending on your spec though. I imagine any self healing tank breezes through. Also DKs can just enslave an undead for big easy mode.
    To be fair, 160 ilevel is pretty low, that’s basically normal dungeon gear level. I’m not poopooing on your gear, just saying that you’re trying to do the hardest content available with basic gear. The average super casual player is probably going to struggle in your gear level at layer 3, but they’ll slowly get more gear especially through pvp vendors and the difficulty will go way down.
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VarabenGaming

#RETPRESENT

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am about as casual as it gets. Yes, I have been playing WoW since 2008, but I do not raid, or dungeon grind, or PVP. Basically, all I have done to date is questing, dailies, and world quest. That said, I got down to my last death on a level 3 with an item level 153 on my hunter and felt overjoyed to have been able to complete something that I really had no interest in completely in the first place. I don't know how much of Torghast I will end up completing when it is all opened up. I did not get any of the cloaks past level 7 in the visions in BfA.

The level of difficulty does not matter as much to me, as does the content for which I am completing. I don't mind getting my ass kicked because, in the end, it makes me a more skilled player. What I do mind is when the content gets long in the tooth where I do not want to continue playing because it so repetitive and boring that it is not worth me fighting away through a level of difficulty. I am already tired of doing the Maw, especially when the more you accomplish, the more punishment you seem to have to endure for doing so. This seems odd for me since I have always enjoyed the open-world content more than anything else.

Right now, Torgast is fun, so I will keep grinding until I hit the wall with it. I play every class, so I can already tell with some classes I am going to have a hard go of it at the higher levels of Torghast. Still, I will try going through with every class to test my level of skill with all of them.

I cleared my first set of tier 3s at 155 ilvl, only died on the Ember level when the grey circles didn't spawn visually and I died twice for no reason.
    Anima powers are jank, a purple tier makes me drop traps when I disengage or a grey gives me 30% KC damage, hmm.
    My runs are either sort of tough or faceroll with 1 anima power, 100% crit chance and 100% crit damage when I stun.

I'm just a memer who hits the lighty up buttons and I did okay. I'm sure newbies with any gaming experience will fare better than a lot of WoW vets, like people who couldn't clear Mage tower after the weapons got uncapped Concordance at the end of Legion.

PS: Who thought it would be cute to make an anima power say "When you use scare beast on a mawraw, it dies in 3 seconds". Word?

Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    To be fair, 160 ilevel is pretty low, that’s basically normal dungeon gear level. I’m not poopooing on your gear, just saying that you’re trying to do the hardest content available with basic gear. The average super casual player is probably going to struggle in your gear level at layer 3, but they’ll slowly get more gear especially through pvp vendors and the difficulty will go way down.
    I dunno, why is it the hardest content available? I guess it is just because M+ and stuff aren't out yet. Just feels like something you do to cap your weekly/dailies not bleeding edge content stuff to me. Maybe that's a perspective problem though. I wouldn't care if it's just some casual thing you breeze through solo or with friends mostly though, it definitely isn't something I expected to have to spend many hours a week grinding just to get done on two characters.

Got my mage to 60 today (fire), went right into Torghast. It was easy as pie until the last boss on level 3.

The ooze spawns the boss makes also do the aoe and it was just too much damage to survive through and i can only interrupt one every 24s. The triple barrier trait didn't drop for me and I only got 40% to my barrier.

The RNG from the traits can really screw you over. And it seems like it was all tuned for hybrids and pet classes. I had zero trouble doing lvl 3 right away on a resto druid.
    I'm a thread killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    NOT a complaint thread
    I just think is funny and maybe worth discussing

I have a friend who plays WoW who is a casual newbie player...long story short...i have to boost him on torghast.

There is absolutely no way in hell other Newbies can clear it.
    Just the other day...i, Shadowpunk (best player EU kappa), almost had a heart attack on last boss of the 3rd section...as Havoc Demon Hunter!!!!!
    I only got physical avoidance on my abilities........and the boss ended up being a mage with insane cast damage.

And no matter what you do...dont go as a party of 2 DPS'ers without any hybrid healing class...the boss scales up and hits like a truck sometimes.

----

Kinda surprised...Torghast really makes you "git gud or get boosted"
    My cousin and one friend recently started playing WoW and I tell you, just doing Exile's Reach was a pain. Most of the today's WoW playerbase looks at this whole game as being so easy and whatnot, however the game is truly very complex and it just seems so easy to us, because most of us have years or even over a decade of experience. It absolutely doesn't surprise me that many people even struggle with the easy layers on Torghast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    You can do Torghast alone or with group. I passed all 3 layers by myself before even getting into heroic dungeons. It's easy. Higher layers are supposed to be challenging, most fun part is that there is no time limit so if you have enough patience you can squeze through it.
    I guess you're playing hunter or warlock?

I feel some of the anima buff are overpowered as a boomkin, could literally pull the whole torghast lvl 3 with starfall with the +50% dmg 3 dots up thing

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's VERY dependent on class/spec. I've seen Rogues complain left and right their powers suck and they get stomped by bosses if they have poor power RNG during the run.

Meanwhile my warlock just strolls through it even in shitty 160 blue gear, because lock anima powers are amazing and being ranged + pet just makes everything so much easier.
    Yeah pet classes just dominate Torghast, but that was to be expected. Healers (and a few dps specs that benefit a lot from their hybrid base toolkit) and some tanks (not monk tho) have it also fairly easy.