Poll: Dog person or cat person?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Dog person or cat person?

Image: Cute adorable puppies.

Image: Evil cat.

Are you a dog person or cat person? Do you like dogs or cats?

I know I am a dog person. I favor dogs more than cats. Mainly because I grew up with one. Dogs are Man's Best Friends. You can go to Youtube.com and search for "dog sits by man's grave" because dogs really are Man's Best Friends. They really do have feelings and really show their feelings to you. Where as cats is kinda hard to tell. Of course, they do show their feelings by rubbing their hair all over your leg and then you having to get all that cat hair off with a lint roller. Cats are just annoying. All they do is lick themselves all day. Because that's what cats do. Cats love being clean and can't stand being dirty. But I guess that is one thing they have going for them: Cats are clean. Cats are cleaner than dogs. In that way. Back to dogs though. You can teach a dog many tricks: Sit, Roll over, Play dead, Play fetch, and so on! What can you do with a cat? Just teach him how to poop in one of those kitty litters. Cats are animalistic by instinct. A cat will turn on you and scratch your eye out when you're not careful.

This is why I am a dog person. Cats are evil.
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2021-08-13 at 01:28 PM.

I love dogs. They are adorable. I love the way they act like your their family or pack. There are some breeds I don't like. I don't like pit bulls and Doberman pinchers. I don't like mean-looking dogs like that. I like german shepherds.
    I don't like cats. They poop and pee in a litter box in the house. They play with mice and birds. If I had a cat, I would not let it in the house.

Dogs are by nature social
    Cats are by nature sociopaths.

Easy pick.

Although my favorite comparison is:
    -when you give a dog food, water, shelter, love, and affection, it think's you're a god
    -when you give a cat food, water, shelter, love, and affection, it thinks it is a god
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Dogs are easy. They love you no matter what.
    Cats...need time. And it's a two way street. You need to make an effort even as s/he gets to know you. Most cats can be emotion-sponges.

Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    . You can go to Youtube.com and search for "dog sits by man's grave" because dogs really are Man's Best Friends.
    Is there anything you can't find on youtube?
    They really do have feelings and really show their feelings to you. Where as cats is kinda hard to tell. Of course, they do show their feelings by rubbing their hair all over your leg and then you having to get all that cat hair off with a lint roller.
    That's because you haven't made an effort to understand cat body language. There are lots of ways in which they can show their feelings, but those ways aren't obvious if you don't give a shit. And also cats don't show affection to random strangers, and from your post it's clear you haven't ever had a cat.
    You can teach a dog many tricks: Sit, Roll over, Play dead, Play fetch, and so on! What can you do with a cat? Just teach him how to poop in one of those kitty litters.
    Do you really think you can't teach cats tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiphobia View Post
    Do you really think you can't teach cats tricks?
    You can teach kitty whatever s/he chooses to learn.

@monkfailz so you're obviously biased. Cats are better because if they come to nuzzle up to you, it's because they want to unlike dogs who feel like they have to be up your butt 24/7 or they'll feel like you abandoned them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Cats can definitely show affection, etc... but they still aren’t pack creatures like dogs. The bond dogs make with humans is much different and more intense. They’ve learned to read humans much more than cats ever can.

I think that’s what’s he’s mostly referring to.
    That's actually why I like cats more; dogs feel like overly clingy SOs and their "love" is suffocating.

Dogs be loyal to a fault...even when they shouldn't be.
    It take a long while to win over a cat. Picky owners...(it never seems to be the other way around.)

10+ Year Old Account
    snip

Why not both?!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like both. Prefer dogs.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Cats can definitely show affection, etc... but they still aren’t pack creatures like dogs. The bond dogs make with humans is much different and more intense. They’ve learned to read humans much more than cats ever can.

I think that’s what’s he’s mostly referring to.
    The whole pack behavior is why I like dogs less. It feels less genuine to me. Like "they have to", if that makes sense.

Where as with cats (and humans too), their affection feels more "earned", and all the more precious.

I'm a cat person for sure, but dogs can be okay too. I very much prefer being able to let the cat go outside as well, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Both?

MASS HYSTERIA!!!

- - - Updated - - -

7+ Year Old Account
    It's so hard to choose because their both badasses and it depends on my context. I've always had big athletic dogs so I prefer dogs when I'm outside for nature stuff but I prefer cats when I'm inside. There's something special about having my cat lay on my chest/belly while I'm watching Netflix and hearing it purr because it's so comfortable and happy.

Ultimately though I have to choose my dog over my cat because I believe my dog would die for me. I was once chased by a pack of coyotes that thought I was going after their baby cubs and my dog went apeshit on them and kept them at a distance, which was cool. Where as my cat would never help me in a selfless way and it probably wouldn't even noticed if I died, other than the fact that someone else would be feeding her.

One way I see it is that dogs are superior companions but cats are a superior source of amusement and curiosity.

(Oh and don't get an Alaskan Malamute like I did if you live in a warm climate... Even after a shaving I still feels it's unethical to leave it outside in summer so I have to bring it inside for the AC. Which is not cool because bigger dogs with a lot energy don't have the right temperament to be inside. It's nice in winter though because it's impossible for my dog to get cold.)
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-03-06 at 07:12 AM.

Dog. I hate cats.

Definitely a dog person. I'm aware that cats can be gentle and loving pets as well, but I've had some very bad experience with a family cat that at best tolerated people. Practically all dogs I've known personally have been big ol' goofballs full of love.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Dog. I hate cats.

7+ Year Old Account
    Though, I’m not sure if my cat is just following the gang or if he’s interested in the water. Cause anytime I wash my hands or use the shower, he’s sitting there watching.... creepily.
    Yeah same lol, if I don't leave water in the bathroom sink for my cat she looks at me as if she's been cheated. Her hobby in life is to drink water in every possible place as long as it's not from the cat water bowl.

And she's a killer too when she's outside. I have to get rid of dead vermin and birds laying near the sliding glass door on a daily basis.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-03-06 at 09:48 AM.

The fact that your outdoor cat can (and likely will) have several owners is so off-putting, it beats whatever positives I can think of. Like sure, both cats and dogs are opportunistic creatures by nature, but none of the dogs I owned would have chosen a stranger over us. Not for an hour, and certainly not for several days.

Sure, some of our German Sheperds were terrifyingly smart & egoistic, to the point that you really couldn't trust them with anything (especially food), but bonding with strangers for their own gain? Zero chance.

https://www.sciencealert.com/cats-bo...e-than-dogs-do

Just dropping this here...cats have a bonding rate with their humans similar to children with their parents, and at rates above what dogs have shown.

Both are amazing animals.
    Do you hear the voices too?