Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    This is not something I say lightly because I think such things NORMALLY shouldn't happen. But she is such a vile piece of shit that I think there should be an exception...in her case, I want her to be held liable for the full 1.6 billion, and be placed in indentured servitude in a labor camp until she dies or it's paid off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    be placed in indentured servitude in a labor camp until she dies or it's paid off.
    Rather than debate the morals or ethics, I'll simply point out that she's sixty-six. Barring special cases like paying off whores with their own money, the highest-paid lawyers stil get $250,000 or less. Powell in govt servitude would be lucky to clear $8 million, let alone the 200x she'd owe.

Back to morals and ethics: she said something that should be career-ending. It might very well have been. But again, she's 66 and rich, so that part's barely relavent. The lawsuit is about taking away every scrap of credit she's ever built up over her entire career. Which, considering what she claimed about Dominion and the election in general, has merit. It's kind of like being the best K-12 principal for 40 years then being caught fucking a student. Look at Penn State if you want an example.

She attacked Democracy itself. She was one of the forefront leaders of the election hoax. Not only does this need to cost her, it needs to cost her so much nobody ever does it ever again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Rather than debate the morals or ethics, I'll simply point out that she's sixty-six. Barring special cases like paying off whores with their own money, the highest-paid lawyers stil get $250,000 or less. Powell in govt servitude would be lucky to clear $8 million, let alone the 200x she'd owe.

Back to morals and ethics: she said something that should be career-ending. It might very well have been. But again, she's 66 and rich, so that part's barely relavent. The lawsuit is about taking away every scrap of credit she's ever built up over her entire career. Which, considering what she claimed about Dominion and the election in general, has merit. It's kind of like being the best K-12 principal for 40 years then being caught fucking a student. Look at Penn State if you want an example.

She attacked Democracy itself. She was one of the forefront leaders of the election hoax. Not only does this need to cost her, it needs to cost her so much nobody ever does it ever again.
    *stands up and claps*

All of the conspiracy nutters on networks, in business, and in government need to be taken out back and taught a very very dire lesson in fucking around and finding out.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Going to include this here, as sort of a "MEGA" thread for all those being sued for defamation from the election fraud conspiracy nonsense. Domino filed suit against OAN claiming defamation.

Turns out OAN's 'expert mathematician' who claimed to prove election fraud had a job 'setting up swing sets' and is a convicted felon.

Whoops.

10+ Year Old Account
    It took half a year, but finally there's movement...

CNN: Dominion Voting wins key decision in lawsuit against Fox News
    A judge in Delaware has found that Fox News' coverage of election fraud after the 2020 election may have been inaccurate, and is allowing a major defamation case against the right-wing TV network to move forward.

Judge Eric Davis of the Delaware Superior Court declined to dismiss Dominion Voting System's lawsuit against Fox News in a significant ruling Thursday.

The ruling will now allow Dominion to attempt to unearth extensive communications within Fox News as they gather evidence for the case, and the company may be able to interview the network's top names under oath.

At this stage, the court must assume Dominion's claims about Fox News are true.

Still, Davis called out, in the 52-page opinion, that Fox News may have slanted its coverage to push election fraud, knowing the accusations were wrong.

Dominion alerted the network's anchors and executives to information that disproved accusations of widespread vote-switching following Donald Trump's re-election loss, the judge noted.

"Nevertheless, Fox and its news personnel continued to report Dominion purported connection to the election fraud claims without also reporting on Dominion's emails ... Given that Fox apparently refused to report contrary evidence, including evidence from the Department of Justice, the Complaint's allegations support the reasonable inference that Fox intended to keep Dominion's side of the story out of the narrative," the judge wrote.

The court rejected Fox News' claims that it was able to discuss Trump advisers' election fraud conspiracies under principles of news reporting.
    Fox News reacted to the ruling saying in a statement, "As we have maintained, FOX News, along with every single news organization across the country, vigorously covered the breaking news surrounding the unprecedented 2020 election, providing full context of every story with in-depth reporting and clear-cut analysis. We remain committed to defending against this baseless lawsuit and its all-out assault on the First Amendment."

The lawsuit alleges Fox News personalities including Tucker Carlson, Jeanine Pirro, Sean Hannity and their on-air guests Rudy Giuliani, Sidney Powell and Mike Lindell spread lies about fraud in the 2020 election that hurt Dominion's business. It is one of several lawsuits Dominion has brought related to right-wing claims after the election, and is a major win for the company.

The case will continue to move forward toward a final judgment, as both sides gather evidence. The judge is still considering whether Dominion can be considered a well-known entity, which could give Fox News some protection under the law.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It took half a year, but finally there's movement...

CNN: Dominion Voting wins key decision in lawsuit against Fox News
    Freakin finally.

And lol at them trying to hide behind "ma 1st amendment rights!" They'll finally get to see how that holds up in court against a non-government entity.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Freakin finally.

And lol at them trying to hide behind "ma 1st amendment rights!" They'll finally get to see how that holds up in court against a non-government entity.
    The last part is worrying:

The case will continue to move forward toward a final judgment, as both sides gather evidence. The judge is still considering whether Dominion can be considered a well-known entity, which could give Fox News some protection under the law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    The judge is still considering whether Dominion can be considered a well-known entity, which could give Fox News some protection under the law.
    I mean, there's no way. Nobody knew who Dominion was before this. Not outside their field.

The only reason they're well-known now is because of the lies spread about them. I'm not sure Fox can claim protection against defamation on the grounds that they lied so much and to such a large audience that it's made Dominion a household name.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    WHOA the thread moved!

(reads)

Huh. CBA to check but I'm pretty sure I called that wrong. Now to be fair, if there was a conspiracy at FOX News saying "we need to keep cameras on these known lying nutjobs and then comment on what they said as if they had evidence or facts", then yes, FOX News was a willing participant in pushing known falsehoods to damage Dominion, who should celebrate by flying a solid gold 747 over the smoking ashes of FOX's headquarters. But this kind of assumes FOX News is as dumb as Mark Meadows.

Also, didn't some of y'all say FOX News had to legally classify as entertainment? Which in turn would mean any attempt to say under oath "we had a journalistic integrity to--" should be smacked down WWE style. Alternatively, this could be a perfectly good way to examine if a media outlet of any kind, serious journalism or circus, is allowed to take known damaging falsehoods and push them as if they were facts, then hind behind "we were just quoting someone else". I mean, if I told my boss "I was just quoting someone else when I said (censored) (censored) (really racist thing) (comment about boobs) (admits the Dallas Cowboys don't suck that badly) in class" I'd probably still get fired.

I mean, there's no way. Nobody knew who Dominion was before this. Not outside their field.

The only reason they're well-known now is because of the lies spread about them. I'm not sure Fox can claim protection against defamation on the grounds that they lied so much and to such a large audience that it's made Dominion a household name.
    Considering the judges stance on everything else, I'm not as concerned with them turning around and tossing Fox a bone, but the worry is always there.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, didn't some of y'all say FOX News had to legally classify as entertainment? Which in turn would mean any attempt to say under oath "we had a journalistic integrity to--" should be smacked down WWE style. Alternatively, this could be a perfectly good way to examine if a media outlet of any kind, serious journalism or circus, is allowed to take known damaging falsehoods and push them as if they were facts, then hind behind "we were just quoting someone else". I mean, if I told my boss "I was just quoting someone else when I said (censored) (censored) (really racist thing) (comment about boobs) (admits the Dallas Cowboys don't suck that badly) in class" I'd probably still get fired.
    The problem is their entertainment news (Tucker/Sean/Etc) have started referring to themselves as honest journalist because apparently there is nothing that says as an entertainer you can't do that. I think that is going to come back to bite them in the ass.

Likely they will stick to the "Tucker Carlson Defense"

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/91774...ay-fox-s-lawye
    Now comes the claim that you can't expect to literally believe the words that come out of Carlson's mouth. And that assertion is not coming from Carlson's critics. It's being made by a federal judge in the Southern District of New York and by Fox News's own lawyers in defending Carlson against accusations of slander. It worked, by the way.

Just read U.S. District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil's opinion, leaning heavily on the arguments of Fox's lawyers: The "'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that [Carlson] is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary.' "

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post

Fox News: The News Organization, You Literally and Legally Can't Trust

I don't think that has much of a ring to it.

I'm not sure Fox can claim protection against defamation on the grounds that they lied so much and to such a large audience that it's made Dominion a household name.
    If I was a lawyer, I wouldn't even be attempting to make that argument, for the exact reason you mention. It only reinforces the case against them. Defamation so prominent that it made them a household name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post

Tv programs that have that legally declared about them should be forced to run a constant scrawl saying as much over the duration of the entire program.

And if an entire network has that claimed about them, well…
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I know this thread is old, I started it after all.

But new evidence has come out about the Dominion lawsuit against Newsmax.

https://www.businessinsider.com/news...y-false-2022-6

Newsmax tried to dismiss the lawsuit, but the judge in the case threw out the dismissal stating that Newsmax knew that the claims were false in a report, and still went ahead lying about Dominion and Smartmatic machines.

But in a June 16 ruling, Judge Eric M. Davis of the Superior Court of the State of Delaware wrote that Dominion had provided sufficient evidence for the case to move forward.

In fact, Davis wrote, the company's lawsuit supported "the reasonable inference that Newsmax either knew its statements about Dominion's role in the [alleged] election fraud were false or had a high degree of awareness that they were false."

Davis noted public evidence that the vote was not stolen, including statements from the Trump administration's own Department of Justice. A Nov. 12, 2020, statement, for example, issued by the federal Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency and cosigned by leading election security officials, stated that there was "no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised."

Such evidence suggests that, even as the outlet continued to air claims against Dominion, "Newsmax knew the allegations were probably false."
    There is a link to the 64 page ruling on the motion to dismiss in the article.

Haven't much of this in a while, but with the trial coming up in the coming months apparently Fox is having trouble bringing evidence to the table.

Dominion Voting Systems is calling out Fox News and its parent company, Fox Corp, for failing to turn over evidence, with less than two months before the companies are set to go to trial over a defamation lawsuit.

On Wednesday, attorneys for Dominion and Fox met before a Delaware Superior Court judge to discuss scheduling for upcoming checkpoints

However, an attorney for Dominion said they are concerned that some evidence – such as certain board meeting minutes and the results of searches of personal drives – has yet to be produced by Fox and its cable TV networks. While this issue was already raised in July and January, the Dominion attorney said Wednesday they are still missing documents.

"We have not gotten anything. We pointed out categories of missing documents for both Fox News and Fox Corp that are still missing. And we are not talking about a document slipping through ... we are talking about categories of documents," said Dominion attorney Justin Nelson on Wednesday.

Nelson said Dominion's attorneys had been assured that Fox's legal team would "ask the hard questions about missing documents so that we didn't have to do it and engage in further discovery practice."

"And that just hasn't happened," Nelson said, "and I understand why because they can't do it."

Fox attorney Dan Webb, a veteran trial attorney added to Fox's roster last year, said he disagreed with much of what Nelson said during the hearing Wednesday.

"The parties are having problems on both sides,"
    Webb said Wednesday. "I think 70,000 documents were recently produced on damages, which is a huge issue in this case, that were late produced."
    Of course Fox does a "both sides" excuse.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Fox is having trouble bringing evidence to the table
    This is a defamation case, which means Dominion must prove FOX News either knew the claims were false, or should have known the claims were false and didn't care. Subpoena-ing the communications goes directly to that. If FOX News refuses to comply, the judge should not only fine them, but assume the documents show the aforementioned motive and basically hand Dominion an immediate win.

This is a defamation case, which means Dominion must prove FOX News either knew the claims were false, or should have known the claims were false and didn't care. Subpoena-ing the communications goes directly to that. If FOX News refuses to comply, the judge should not only fine them, but assume the documents show the aforementioned motive and basically hand Dominion an immediate win.
    And give them what Dominion is asking for. Because that $1.6 billion is well deserved at this point, since they are still lying about Dominion.

With Hannity admitting during deposition that he didn't believe Dominion stole the election from Trump they could have that, since he was one of the many on that channel that pushed it long after it was known.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    With Hannity admitting during deposition that he didn't believe Dominion stole the election from Trump they could have that, since he was one of the many on that channel that pushed it long after it was known.
    Is this something that can be settled out of court? It seems strange that it hasn't yet, with even Rupert Murdoch being deposed. Fox settles out of court all the time so that's certainly not an option they wouldn't take I would imagine. But maybe defamation cases can't be?