Thread: Elden Ring

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

If people really struggle with Malenia, this is a good video for you.
    Know its a good guide when they figured out you can backstep and punish her kick attack. Not even Let Me Solo Her seems to have figured that out which was disappointing.

Those 3d models of her and let me solo her are excellent. Saw those earlier too.

But no thanks on angry joe's review. I never understood why people liked him but to each his own I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna replay it in a few months, it's still too fresh in my memory. I got some other stuff in my backlog first.

What build should I do? I did heavy powerstancing colossal hammers on my first playthrough, so I was now thinking a double Katana build.

No magic and no cheesy weapon arts btw, that's for filthy cashuls

I will probably end up doing a meme build as a wretch with a club and no clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by yasiru View Post
    Those 3d models of her and let me solo her are excellent. Saw those earlier too.

But no thanks on angry joe's review. I never understood why people liked him but to each his own I guess.
    His contributors are better than him. The Alex guy in particular often has good points to make.

Anyway all 3 of them gushed about it all the way through and gave it a 10/10.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    What build should I do?
    Double fisting. Trust me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Double fisting. Trust me.

Yes, this is it.

Apparently the speedrun record for this game is now one minute, which now is just basically zooming around the map until the end boss suddenly dies then reloading to your win. To bad. Kinda hard to take it seriously now.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Apparently the speedrun record for this game is now one minute, which now is just basically zooming around the map until the end boss suddenly dies then reloading to your win. To bad. Kinda hard to take it seriously now.

This is why I prefer glitchless speedruns myself, more of a sheer test of skills and memorization and less finding new and improved ways to break the game in a thousand pieces. Not that it's not impressive in its own way, but yeah not even fighting a single boss is kinda lame.

Also, is it possible to stop the storm in Consecrated Snowfield? As if late-game enemies dealing tons of damage wasn't obnoxious enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Also, is it possible to stop the storm in Consecrated Snowfield? As if late-game enemies dealing tons of damage wasn't obnoxious enough.
    There is an enemy creating the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Goes away once you progress into the area more and fight a dragon.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-04-16 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Goes away once you progress into the area more and fight a dragon.
    Cheers, I'll get right on making a rug out of the bastard. Once I'm done with Deeproot Depths which is another highly annoying area but at least I outlevel it now.

Fire Giant is a sweet boos fight tho. That cutscene was pretty wild. In general I think From Soft nailed the spectacle fights like him, Radahn and Rykard. They aren't too hard but not cakewalks either and you (usually) can tell what the boss will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Okay so I grabbed Elden like two weeks ago and it's a solid 10 but why is "quests are vague" a huge complaint? Itd be nice if there was some form of journal but the quests are all pretty straight forward ans Im genuinely confused if people just aren't paying attention to what the npcs are saying or if Im missing stuff because "it's so vague"
    Mostly because people often don't know what to pay attention to. They keep giving us new names for both people and locations, and there is nowhere where you can check what the last thing said was. So missing a single sentence can mean you won't finish an entire questline.

That said I managed to complete Ranni's questline blind, so personally I had no issues.

I screwed myself out of Hyetta quest by missing the revenger shack before I defeated Rennala, so I couldnt get invaded anymore.

Seriously, this restriction should only apply for online, not NPCs.

Okay so I grabbed Elden like two weeks ago and it's a solid 10 but why is "quests are vague" a huge complaint? Itd be nice if there was some form of journal but the quests are all pretty straight forward ans Im genuinely confused if people just aren't paying attention to what the npcs are saying or if Im missing stuff because "it's so vague"
    I'd be curious how you or anyone really completed Ranni's questline without a guide.

First Blaidd gives you a hint where to find him. If you missed it or don't know where that location is, you're SOL because they are only going to tell you once.
    Then Seluvis tells you to find Sellen, and NPC hidden behind a door in a basement in the starting area. Hopefully you've stumbled upon her by chance, otherwise you basically are tasked with searching all of Limgrave for this random person who could be anywhere.
    Then you give the Fingerslaying blade to Ranni who then thanks you and vanishes. Most people would probably assume here that the quest was over, but you actually have to do something completely unexplained and random. Go to another tower, use the portal, find a doll nearby, and try talking to it 3 times at a grace. None of which was even remotely hinted at you to do.

I'll just say there are actually a TON more quests in this game than people think there are, but few people playing without a guide will even know it because everything is so hidden and unexplained.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, that bug needs to go. I prefer speedruns that require fighting bosses.
    There are categories for that, any% has always been no holds barred.

Well,that's all achievements unlocked for me.

Took 300 hours but could have been a lot less. I just felt like 100%ing the game a second time for my third playthrough

Okay so I grabbed Elden like two weeks ago and it's a solid 10 but why is "quests are vague" a huge complaint?
    Modern gaming has a lot of elements that no longer obscure the game to the player. Elden Ring's "quests" and "story" are more like older games in that there is only so much it explains or displays to the player explicitly.

Itd be nice if there was some form of journal but the quests are all pretty straight forward ans Im genuinely confused if people just aren't paying attention to what the npcs are saying or if Im missing stuff because "it's so vague"
    Many are used to the way games today present information to the player. Neither good nor bad. It's just a style.

A lot of folks playing the game are probably under 30 years old. 1992 was 30 years ago, unless you started playing games as a newborn, at best you have late 90s games to reflect upon. A Link to the Past was released in 1991, Star Tropics in 1990, Golvellius in '87. Even Ico is 2001. Fighting Fantasy games are from the early 1980s.

One can play those things in retrospect. But can never play them contextually in their time. So you inevitably have a modernist POV to contrast it to as starting basis of interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I'd be curious how you or anyone really completed Ranni's questline without a guide.
    I did. I haven't used a guide for anything in the game at all.

The only things I know about the game before encountering them are such; 1. what the full map looks like (sans markers) 2. Radagon/Elden Beast are the final bosses 3. At a certain point in the capital, you supposedly lock out some bosses for your playthrough and have to complete them some other way.

First Blaidd gives you a hint where to find him. If you missed it or don't know where that location is, you're SOL because they are only going to tell you once.
    I had gone into West Limgrave before going to Weeping and North/South Limgrave. So I found the howling tower and killed the bear there. It was while selling/testing stuff I spoke to the merchant at the church of Elleh and got the dialogue about whistling at the tower.

That triggered meeting Blaidd, of course. I found Blaidd out by the Evrgoal while just exploring. Heading to Weeping. I had found Sellen and her area even before Misty Woods. Again, just exploring.

In Liunra I found Iji while trying to get north in the area. The wall was revealed to me by accident as I was fighting those ghost mages that disappear. Shooting Arc to try and hit them as they were invisible. It blew my mind!

Iji told me to not go to the manor up north. So I went there immediately, of course. Fought through all of the manor, killed Loretta. Explored the area leading from Loretta and fought the dragon. Met Seluvis and Ranni. I had found the Sofia River Well before meeting Blaidd as well.

So when I was told to find Blaidd, it was the only well that made sense to me as a place to go. I often returned to iji to buy upgrade stones so I got a lot of his dialogue as well.

The only interactions I had with Selvius were to give Nephli a potion, which I didn't do, and killed Selvuis.

I found Blaidd at Radahn's castle and was delighted to find him. Did Radahn. Found the crater in Limgrave by accident while exploring the area again. Went down and did the business.

Everything else was pretty straightforward. I just followed what was in front of me; the underground area, the astel monster, going back to Iji for upgrades, etc.

I explore areas multiple times. Often just to look at the game design as that is my primary interest in video games. I have found Elden Ring to be highly rewarding of curiosity and exploration.

I'll just say there are actually a TON more quests in this game than people think there are, but few people playing without a guide will even know it because everything is so hidden and unexplained.
    I love this! I only recently found out about an NPC named Milicent that I had killed. Found out she has a whole questline. I also found out from talking to my brother-in-law about Verre, I killed him too, but apparently, he has a whole questline.

I am looking forward to finding these things over time.