Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Exactly. Seek out some old Boot magazines (what MaximumPC was called before it sold out, they hired that Will guy to be chief editor, and it slid into the toilet). They were preaching Linux back when you still had to compile your kernel.
    Wow, I never expected to find somebody else that appreciated that magazine before it got ruined by numb nuts; that was the son of a high executive in the parent publishing company. Magazines were in the process of dying but that one fed my hype for the golden age of computer tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    All I need Windows to do is shut up and get out of my way. No ads, no spying and no functions changes except for security patches.

I’m guessing Win11 will deliver on none of the above.
    TOTALLY AGREE, for me, Windows is there to make the computer into a quiet low maintenance appliance that covers security and ease of installing new hardware like headphones, speakers, cameras, etc. If they want more money they should make it free to use Office when its used in there browser or start buying streaming services to offer to show for free with commercials. Microsoft has been too short term thinking in there business model for a long time now though and as much as people take for granted that they will own the operating system market forever, the competition is catching up too them because Microsoft is standing still trying to make money and the others are building.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point of situation...

... A lot of pissed around. What annoys me is that there are CPU requirements and microsoft didn't even bothered in specifying, they just say it requires a 1GHZ CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    The point of situation...

... A lot of pissed around. What annoys me is that there are CPU requirements and microsoft didn't even bothered in specifying, they just say it requires a 1GHZ CPU.
    Except they did. The very same day they announced Win11 they put out a supported CPU list. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Except they did. The very same day they announced Win11 they put out a supported CPU list. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors
    Thanks for the link. I think its ridiculus suporting Atom CPU's and not supporting hig-end 7th generation CPU's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just installed W11, runs smooth af. Even WoW somehow looks "tighter". Maybe placebo but im happy with it.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Interesting note from https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/0...-driver-model/

"For those unaware, Windows 11 is going to be the first version of Windows to enable support for graphical Linux apps on Windows desktop. First previewed in 2020, the highly anticipated feature dubbed “WSLg” is currently available in the Dev Channel of the Windows Insider program and leaked Windows 11"

15+ Year Old Account
    Im confused, at first I understood it as there is:
    * DEV build, newest features and most stability issues and bugs
    * BETA build, will be more stable builds that will be released once issues in a DEV build are considered to be a "BETA build".
    Is it correct?

Because the BETA channel at the moment list the latest Win10 build. So to me its either that Win11 will always just come in the form of a DEV build or there will be Win11 DEV & BETA but not enough progress addressing the issues in the DEV build yet to release a BETA.
    Someone that can clarify this for me?

Also I got a bit puzzled by one of CNETs articles about the TPM requirement.
    1. From your desktop, press the Windows key next to the spacebar + R. This will bring up a dialog box.

2. In the text field of the box, type tpm.msc and hit Enter. This should bring up a new window labelled "TPM Management on Local Computer."

3. Click Status. If you see a message that says "The TPM is ready for use" then the PC Health Checker has misdiagnosed you
    Isn't it the other way around that Windows detects your TPM 2.0 ie. all is like it should?

The PC Health Checker is removed from being downloaded in order to fix stuff but I check my TMP compability with tpm.msc command and it seems to me The TPM is ready for use is the you are good to go status.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2021-07-08 at 05:27 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I doubt that the normal version will be available on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Interesting note from https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/0...-driver-model/

"For those unaware, Windows 11 is going to be the first version of Windows to enable support for graphical Linux apps on Windows desktop. First previewed in 2020, the highly anticipated feature dubbed “WSLg” is currently available in the Dev Channel of the Windows Insider program and leaked Windows 11"
    This is terrible.

Now I know they wont ever end up eating Linux as they hope to do. But this direction is going to waste even more time in the grand scheme of adopting people to Linux instead of WinDOS.

I'm not lying when I say that the absolute only reason I and a lot of people are running Windows is because of games.
    All sort of work related flows are easier and faster done on a linux or even MacOS, which under the hood resembles the other due to their UNIX history.

What M$ is attempting is to bring over the userbase from linux to Windows... and they will never really succeed. Instead of making the experience worse, they should focus on what they've done the best and not try and mimic the MacOS world. Windows 7 is just a too good an example to let go, but their product was useable the most back then.

I'm still asking myself, who is that new options system for? If I need to troubleshoot with a M$ laptop the first place as a sysadmin, I go to, is the old control panel. It glitches less, doesn't crash and does exactly what's needed, while the new one, has on a few occasions crashed, lagged and sometimes not done anything after I've made change in it. The usual fancy graphics problems.

Why M$? Do your thing, you're already the best at it. Casual user experience and gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    This is terrible.

Now I know they wont ever end up eating Linux as they hope to do. But this direction is going to waste even more time in the grand scheme of adopting people to Linux instead of WinDOS.

I'm not lying when I say that the absolute only reason I and a lot of people are running Windows is because of games.
    All sort of work related flows are easier and faster done on a linux or even MacOS, which under the hood resembles the other due to their UNIX history.

What M$ is attempting is to bring over the userbase from linux to Windows... and they will never really succeed. Instead of making the experience worse, they should focus on what they've done the best and not try and mimic the MacOS world. Windows 7 is just a too good an example to let go, but their product was useable the most back then.

I'm still asking myself, who is that new options system for? If I need to troubleshoot with a M$ laptop the first place as a sysadmin, I go to, is the old control panel. It glitches less, doesn't crash and does exactly what's needed, while the new one, has on a few occasions crashed, lagged and sometimes not done anything after I've made change in it. The usual fancy graphics problems.

Why M$? Do your thing, you're already the best at it. Casual user experience and gaming.
    They already have WSL which provides a Linux kernel inside of Windows, with volume mapping between the 2. You don't take over something like Linux by trying to eat it all in one attempt. Instead, you do it in bitesize chunks and appeal to the people who feel they've been left behind. Gamers aren't in that group, since DX has had a strong release cycle since at least DX8. They released FS2020 last year, which they've confirmed is a showcase of what their cloud tech can do, but also serves as a very good showcase of what DX can do (especially when they update it to support raytracing, which DX12 will allow them to do).

Many developers moved away to Mac in the past decade because it offered a more coherent experience, and because Microsoft were stuck in some very old ways until Satya Nadella became CEO in 2014.

First, they made VSCode, which has quickly risen to be perhaps the most popular code editor. It provides an easier workflow for common developer tasks such as git while having syntax highlighting for a huge range of languages, but perhaps most importantly, support for extensions without users having to leave VSCode or setup complex config to install them and get them running.

At around the same time, Typescript becomes a thing, and with the then-recent explosion of Javascript as a serious development language, we find that they've got a huge community willing to help build something better. It has the strong-typing of languages in the .net family, but transparently transpiles into JS. Now we have an army of developers who could move over to .net without much trouble - that's a good thing for Microsoft.

Then, they bring in WSL1 for a Linux-like experience on Windows. Then, WSL2 which improved the performance significantly while also opening up more options (such as Docker being able to utilize WSL2 effectively). At the same time, more Linux kernels and images were made available through their app store.

Then, they bought Github (maybe this was before WSL2 release - I can't really recall). Suddenly we find they're in control of a repo provider which has billions (maybe even trillions) of lines of code, have strong influence over a language that sits on top of the current most popular language in the world, have a code editor that is used by millions of people, and have a linux-like integration within Windows. Windows is a more appealing alternative to Mac, and brings people back to Windows because they can now run the Windows apps they used to while still having a very similar experience they had on Mac. The money that would have previously flowed into Apple is now flowing back into Microsoft.

Next, WSLg brings in GUI applications from Linux. It's typically not a feature I'll find a use for, but they're also bringing it in at the same time that Android app support is added. I'd expect that there'll be further expansion in this area in W11 service packs over the next few years. This brings in the Linux desktop users who perhaps miss some of the features and flexibility found in Windows. It certainly won't convince people to switch overnight, nor will it convince the die-hard Linux desktop users to switch, but it may be enough to convince a chunk of people to move to Windows.

What they appear to be trying to do is bring a better developer experience to Windows. I'd say they lost the server OS market many years ago except for a few niche situations, and their desktop market share has been eaten away at by Apple. Doing what they've done over recent years is one way of fighting back against it.

They're not only continuing what they're good at, but they're trying to bring people to Windows by offering what the competitors offer, and then a bunch of things on top. WSLg being introduced is not 'terrible' - it's a good addition.

I do agree with your implication that they're simplifying areas that advanced users really do not want simplifying. Control panel is a perfect example and I too find myself looking there for things before I go to the settings app. I still miss that I could double-click the network icon in the clock area to be able to view network stats (and do things like resetting the adapter).

Nah, will stay on Linux which I use for 2 years now, couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Free upgrade for Win10, which was also a free upgrade, I guess the money grab narrative is gone.
    That remains to be seen. If they push monetization with "always online" bullshit, or with default settings similar to windows 10 where I had to disable tons of stuff like tiles, ads, data collection, cortana, etc, then it's obvious where they're making their money back. My guess is it will be even more intrusive this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I had to disable stuff like, ads, data collection,
    At least you COULD on Win 10.

Win 7 collected all the same data.. and didn't tell you except in the EULA, and had no way to shut it off without third party software or seriously dangerous registry hacks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok so I got the first Beta version of win11 last nite (avoided the DEV build).
    So far I only encountered some language problems in some winframes as bugs.

Also (I hope this gets corrected in a future build) the network and audio icons in the systemtray are merged.
    When I click it only a volume slider shows up (as part of the quick audio option via that icon) which is a pain in the ass if your like me a gamer that swtich from speakers/headset.
    Cant quickly swap output there like Win10 allow one to do.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2021-08-01 at 03:54 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Ok so I got the first Beta version of win11 last nite (avoided the DEV build).
    So far I only encountered some language problems in some winframes as bugs.

Also (I hope this gets corrected in a future build) the network and audio icons in the systemtray are merged.
    When I click it only a volume slider shows up (as part of the quick audio option via that icon) which is a pain in the ass if your like me a gamer that swtich from speakers/headset.
    Cant quickly swap output there like Win10 allow one to do.
    What do you mean?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    What do you mean?
    Fuck me, didnt notice that arrow. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Depends on how you mean. It's more about cross-compatibility than anything; Windows machines are simply more common, so you're less likely to run into compatibility issues IME.

I'm not just talking "can do spreadsheets" or something; if you've ever done higher-end graphical or page layout work, a tiny hiccup in compatibility between platforms can render a project file useless. It's gotten better than it was, but stuff still crops up now and then. Speaking from personal experience.

I also wasn't really trying to crap on MacOS, just dispute the idea that they're the preferred productivity option. I literally do not know a single office where that was the case.
    It depends on what type of productivity you're referring to. Administrative chores; mail, Excel, wordprocessing, yeah, all Windows. Anything design or development related, Mac.

Most software and webdevelopers I know use Macs, one of them who is a full-stack dev uses Linux, no one uses a Windows machine. Graphical developers use Mac. People in the music industry, Mac. Heck, even we swapped to a complete Apple ecosystem at hostpital; everything just works since we did, ya know?

Anyway, I realise quite well this is all anecdotal, but even Google prefers its employees to use Macs over Windows or Chromebooks, which is a pretty clear signal. I read somewhere that they manage over 50.000 Apple computers at Google and that if you want to use anything other than a Mac, you have to specifically request it and corroborate your choice.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

already had to work woth server 2022 so win 11 will be a nobrainer for me.
    on my other pcs i will still use linux, and when the steam decks comes end of the year i will have a linux gamin machine.
    Hope my win game machine doesnt get jealous xD

.. its Win 10 with a different UI Skin. Been using it for two weeks now. Its fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Anyway, I realise quite well this is all anecdotal, but even Google prefers its employees to use Macs over Windows or Chromebooks, which is a pretty clear signal. I read somewhere that they manage over 50.000 Apple computers at Google and that if you want to use anything other than a Mac, you have to specifically request it and corroborate your choice.
    Its not unique though. IBM did the same thing years ago.

Their IT costs plummeted. Macs are now standard issue.

Though that may change going forward because of ARM and they may need X86/64 compatability natively.