Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleycat View Post
    They put Van De Beeks name on the front, thats unusual!
    Haha, okay I gotta say that made me chuckle irl. I hope the poor lad gets more playtime this season...

Strong rumor's of a 160 million deal for Kane going to City (and a 400.000 a week pay deal) hope its not tru but I wouldn't blame him. I think something is certainly going on with Spurs in for so many players right now, if it were to happen it might make sense from spurs point of view as we have holes in so many positions but what a painful rebuild it will be.

Fuck spending that much on captain drooler and his dodgy ankles.

Yeah hes a good player but thats mbappe level money.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2021-07-23 at 07:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Fuck spending that much on captain drooler and his dodgy ankles.

Yeah hes a good player but thats mbappe level money.
    The same Mbappe that bottles the big occasion? Sounds right then.

15+ Year Old Account
    £160m?? Blimey. Wonder if City will get a FFP ruling against them again, and then get out of it... again.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm assuming this wont be the only deal they make, hence the FFP thingy.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2021-07-23 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    The same Mbappe that bottles the big occasion? Sounds right then.
    Same could be said about rashford.

Penalties do not a player make.

I mean its a huge sum, but Kane guarantees 20+ goals a season and he has shown that he can create for players like Sterling. The real question is does signing Kane guarantee them titles? The answer is probably yes. City walked the league without a striker last year, imagine they'd had one, and they might need one if Liverpool/Chelsea/United sort themselves out. I mean obviously the sum is too big, but why would Spurs sell for anything less?

As a Spurs fan Id hate to see us lose him, we're shite without Kane and I know you can buy a lot of players for that much, but I just cant see it being the same. Looked what happened when Bale left, it wasnt until Kane that we filled that void. Some players are just irreplaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I mean its a huge sum, but Kane guarantees 20+ goals a season and he has shown that he can create for players like Sterling. The real question is does signing Kane guarantee them titles? The answer is probably yes. City walked the league without a striker last year, imagine they'd had one, and they might need one if Liverpool/Chelsea/United sort themselves out. I mean obviously the sum is too big, but why would Spurs sell for anything less?

As a Spurs fan Id hate to see us lose him, we're shite without Kane and I know you can buy a lot of players for that much, but I just cant see it being the same. Looked what happened when Bale left, it wasnt until Kane that we filled that void. Some players are just irreplaceable.
    he has spurs DNA though. He'll win nothing.

Can't see Kane leave for that kind of money, especially not to City. Say what you want about City and their spending but they haven't spent those kind of figures on one player and even if they were spending it, there's many better/smarter signings they could make than Kane. A 28 year old injury prone striker for 150m who isn't even needed by City would be a terrible signing by them. They can spend that money on 3 quality signings that will be more beneficial to them.

This City won the league and got to a CL final last season without a striker. They don't need Kane, especially not for that money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Definitely not arguing that they could make "better" signings for what they really need, but as was said, they won the PL last year and got to CL final without a proper striker, imagine what they'd do with Kane. £160m is of course a lot but I assume that includes the English premium

Will be interesting to see how the whole Kane saga unfolds. Will he be loyal to them to the end or will he push for a transfer at some point? One could imagine that the club could repay some of the loyalty by letting him go with out bigger problems, but at the moment it seems unlikely that they will sell. With his contract running to 2024, Spurs got the matchball.

What do you United fans think of Ole extending? A second finish was solid last year but Liverpool were poor and we all know how well Chelsea improved with Tuchel. He needs to bring some silverware with these players. Maguire and Shaw hitting good form, Fernandes, Rashford (perhaps a little bit of a dip but quality nonetheless) and now the Sancho signing. Adding a probable Varane into the mix and it's quite the team on paper. Defensive midfield needs to get strengthen, I have never rated McTominay and Fred. If all games would be played in Paris, McTominay could work, always a beast over there.

The last contract would have expired in 2022. I can see this contract extension being a sign of trust, which is important. But if he fails to inject some kind of consistency and trophy winning aspects, then him being there to 2024 can be tough. Perhaps somebody comes in before. One reason the extension could be that the market isn't actually full of available top class managers atm, but perhaps they could have waited to see how this season starts/goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Henx View Post
    Will be interesting to see how the whole Kane saga unfolds. Will he be loyal to them to the end or will he push for a transfer at some point? One could imagine that the club could repay some of the loyalty by letting him go with out bigger problems, but at the moment it seems unlikely that they will sell. With his contract running to 2024, Spurs got the matchball.

What do you United fans think of Ole extending? A second finish was solid last year but Liverpool were poor and we all know how well Chelsea improved with Tuchel. He needs to bring some silverware with these players. Maguire and Shaw hitting good form, Fernandes, Rashford (perhaps a little bit of a dip but quality nonetheless) and now the Sancho signing. Adding a probable Varane into the mix and it's quite the team on paper. Defensive midfield needs to get strengthen, I have never rated McTominay and Fred. If all games would be played in Paris, McTominay could work, always a beast over there.

The last contract would have expired in 2022. I can see this contract extension being a sign of trust, which is important. But if he fails to inject some kind of consistency and trophy winning aspects, then him being there to 2024 can be tough. Perhaps somebody comes in before. One reason the extension could be that the market isn't actually full of available top class managers atm, but perhaps they could have waited to see how this season starts/goes.
    we should have let him have one more season then decided on a contract.

anyone that sticks with Fred and Mctominay doing the job of one central midfielder and doing it poorly has a lot to prove and hes manchester uniteds manager.

also, the PL needs to start yesterday, ive been really hung over today and am just lay on my sofa watching nonsense while my dog tries to lick my face to make me feel better.

Ole extending is kinda pointless but overall OK imo. This season is make or break for him as far as i'm concerned, things have been improving under him but I also feel he's met the "bare minimum" rather than blowing expectations out of the water. We really need a title this season and arguably should have gotten EL last season but fluffed that up. If we don't get a title we're just stuck on a treadmill.

The problem is Chelsea, Liverpool and City all feel stronger in terms of squad and manager so the league doesn't feel realistic. Could very well see us finish 4th next season, the 2nd place last season was a bit misleading as it had more to do with others having a down year rather than us being amazing or anything. Adding Sancho is great but we need a CB and a DM, and if Pogba goes I'd even argue a CM even if VDB steps up.

But yeah the extension feels pointless because it's not like he's gonna get poached to a better job. We could have just waited and rewarded him with a new contract if he wins something next season. But I also doubt it will cost us much IF we fire him so it is what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ole extending is just about reassuring, reasserting him I think. Looking like we're about to hit reset with another new manager wouldn't help with signings, and just sends the wrong message to everyone right as we're starting to look settled and sure of what's needed. If we can pick up Varane and a decent CM it'll be a great transfer window.

Indifferent about Pogba staying, we can do without the drama and his showing off then losing the ball. Maybe the backlash from the Euros will push him on to get that out of his game though and he can focus on what he's actually capable of; I'm just not sure he can do that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Ole extending is just about reassuring, reasserting him I think. Looking like we're about to hit reset with another new manager wouldn't help with signings, and just sends the wrong message to everyone right as we're starting to look settled and sure of what's needed. If we can pick up Varane and a decent CM it'll be a great transfer window.

Indifferent about Pogba staying, we can do without the drama and his showing off then losing the ball. Maybe the backlash from the Euros will push him on to get that out of his game though and he can focus on what he's actually capable of; I'm just not sure he can do that though.
    United have done very well. They've quite likely taken on another heap of debt by drawing on the RCF they had approved last year, but yeah.

Their hope I'm assuming is that future success will offset the liability they've taken on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    United have done very well. They've quite likely taken on another heap of debt by drawing on the RCF they had approved last year, but yeah.

Their hope I'm assuming is that future success will offset the liability they've taken on.
    Well if ever there was an incentive the Glazers needed...

If we get a CB and DM/CM we've gone from being a few signings away to actually having the team and then it all comes down to the tactics. And that's when it's up to Ole. I think most would look at Tuchel, Klopp and Pep and think of them in a much higher league than Ole as tacticians. So it's all up to him to show them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    If we get a CB and DM/CM we've gone from being a few signings away to actually having the team and then it all comes down to the tactics. And that's when it's up to Ole. I think most would look at Tuchel, Klopp and Pep and think of them in a much higher league than Ole as tacticians. So it's all up to him to show them wrong.
    Varane + Sancho will be a massive boost for sure. I would still be reticent of saying 'title this year or bust'. City are still favourites.

United and Chelsea will do well to give them a run for their...money. Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs will scrap for fourth then.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Varane + Sancho will be a massive boost for sure. I would still be reticent of saying 'title this year or bust'. City are still favourites.

United and Chelsea will do well to give them a run for their...money. Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs will scrap for fourth then.
    I don't consider City favorites at all actually. I'd say Chelsea are favorites, with Liverpool and City probably closest behind. But yeah I don't necessarily mean that Ole needs to win us the PL title but if we go trophyless another season after adding Sancho and Varane (and possibly 1 more) then it's pretty lackluster. I guess problem is we really should have won EL last season but we really fluffed that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I don't consider City favorites at all actually. I'd say Chelsea are favorites, with Liverpool and City probably closest behind. But yeah I don't necessarily mean that Ole needs to win us the PL title but if we go trophyless another season after adding Sancho and Varane (and possibly 1 more) then it's pretty lackluster. I guess problem is we really should have won EL last season but we really fluffed that up.
    If City buy Grealish and Kane as they mean to, I would put them as favourites at that point.