Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Where did you hear that Legion hit Wrath numbers? Even with the most forgiving guestimates it never got close. You're probably confusing this with a headline about day 1 boxes sold, as Wrath sold like 2.4 million copies day 1 while Legion sold 3.3 million (which includes pre-orders), but pre-order culture and digital purchases wasn't anywhere near as prevalent back in the Wrath days (so people got around to going down to the store and getting their copies over the next few weeks). Shadowlands didn't even get physical copies to sell in brick & mortar stores, it was exclusively digital.
    Also, China and rest of the world expansions were not synchronized in Wrath, as they are now. SL sales included China, the Wrath number did not.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Also, China and rest of the world expansions were not synchronized in Wrath, as they are now. SL sales included China, the Wrath number did not.
    They don't buy expan's in China neither number includes them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Where did you hear that Legion hit Wrath numbers? Even with the most forgiving guestimates it never got close. You're probably confusing this with a headline about day 1 boxes sold, as Wrath sold like 2.4 million copies day 1 while Legion sold 3.3 million (which includes pre-orders), but pre-order culture and digital purchases wasn't anywhere near as prevalent back in the Wrath days (so people got around to going down to the store and getting their copies over the next few weeks). Shadowlands didn't even get physical copies to sell in brick & mortar stores, it was exclusively digital.
    This is what they said about numbers at legions launch.

"We knew this expansion was going to be something for the books, but reception has just blown us away. The early reviews are coming in, they're really positive. Fan reception has been phenomenal.

"Concurrency - we've had to check and triple check our numbers, because it's the highest they've been in recent memory. Several years, for sure."
    https://www.gamereactor.eu/legion-br...ers-for-years/
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    They don't buy expan's in China neither number includes them.
    I believe they do now.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I believe they do now.
    as far as I Can tell from translating the Chinese's site that's not the case its you just need game time. Though of course This is just going off a half broken translation so it could be wrong.

https://www.wowchina.com/zh-cn/
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-07-22 at 02:07 AM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. If they're acting like asshats they will very quickly find out that they won't get away with the same shit as in WoW and will get a ban.
    The "asshats" were banned on day 1. Seems to have been fine since.

FFXIV actually has moderation and GM's. Not just a bunch of automated stuff.
    When people know actions have consequences, they behave.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    It definitely got a lot of new players into the game, however it's impossible to say if those players will stay or not. If you're playing it just because your favorite streamer is I'd guess that you'll be less likely to stick around for the long haul.

The real exodus started about a month after shadowlands launched.

Casual players realizing that they were once again without a meaningful gear progression path just up and left. Blizzard are funny that way, one patch you can have great gear progression and in the next it's shit. FFXIV is solid as a rock in that regard.
    You could see this very clearly on web sites that tracked covenant choices. In the beginning in was very diverse but after two months or so only the minmaxers remained, Preach even made a video at that point in an effort to prove that everyone in the game minmaxed covenants.

It wasn't only that of course. WoW has been very up and down after Ion took over, Legion for all its flaws really only being the only up.
    It takes a lot to drive players away from their MMORPG of choice but they managed to do it through years of neglect and mismanagement.

The bulk of those who remain now are the hardcore players who'll never quit no matter how bad it gets.
    My guild for instance tried FFXIV about a month before 9.1...
    Some of them sticked around, others didn't really give it any time past the free trial level 60 thing.

I personally bought the expansions... but got bored rather quickly.
    Compared to WoW it just feels so dated in it's gameplay...
    If this is what is left for us then i'm just better giving up MMOs altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    World of Warcraft have "Figureprints", while FinalFantasy 14 has "Pillowprints"....
    Example:
    Jokes aside, the only reason i think people play this game, is because of the female characters. Most of them in the game (Player characters) have bikinis, slut outfits and almost naked outfits. Is just a bunch of horny dudes, pretending liking a game just because the game sells them cheap "sex" to them.

In terms of gameplay is lame. I dont get it where is the fun in FF14.
    I started playing it because of the hype and guess what i made a female char ). The males in weeb games looks to feminine for my taste and i rather play a female.

You can design some pretty masculine looking characters, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    I started playing it because of the hype and guess what i made a female char ). The males in weeb games looks to feminine for my taste and i rather play a female.
    You know you don't have to play a cat boy right? You're free to play the rough masculine ones if that's what you need

Hopefully they all stay in FFXIV and leave WoW alone for good. Don't need their overwhelming toxic hivemind behavior around. They are going to have massive negative effects on whatever other MMOs they move to after the initial "hype" of a new game fades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, I really don't get why some people keep acting as if it's forced on them.
    Becaus it basically is. Every corner u turn there’s a naked catboy. It’s an infestation and it’s repulsive and degenerate

Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    Hopefully they all stay in FFXIV and leave WoW alone for good.
    I bet there were lots of comments like this when WoW was killing EQ.

I really truly hope the effect is, for the current wow regime either to 1) be replaced or 2) at long last check their hubris and actually remember that MMOs should be actually fun outside of instances, too.

10.0 might be half baked but it's not full baked. Go reassess.

I bet there were lots of comments like this when WoW was killing EQ.
    Then maybe people playing WoW won't get their search queries filled with "Asmongold reacts to..." every time they search for guides on something. Nothing like searching and getting back results that have nothing to do with what you searched for.

WoWs sub numbers in an officially released figure isn't as good as those die-hard WoW fans are hoping them to be. The moment Blizzard stopped releasing those numbers to the public, things began to be suspect in my eyes. No, you don't have to come out with every little variance from month to month/quarterly report to quarterly report, but the yearly generalization of a "Yeah, we had a great year this year with roughly 8.3 unique players subscribing to Wolrd of Warcraft investing xxx amount of hours into the game!" Sure, they could mess with some of the numbers to get to that 8.3 million amount, but at least they would be dropping numbers to brag about how well things are going.

But they're not.

Other than expansion release hype where a bunch of sales happen, people who'd not played in awhile come back, play a bit, then leave again, the player base has been in steady decline for years now. What's saved WoW was that declined was a slow one, wherein a 10,000 a month sub drop with a 6,000 sub gain globally wasn't a horrible thing. But now the player base is losing 100,000 a quarter (or more) after all the adjustments and now you're losing influencers who can dramatically affect your sub counts (and you just happen to call the biggest of them an asshole, publicly).

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post

This is what they said about numbers at legions launch.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/legion-br...ers-for-years/
    But not the highest they ever been which was the argued point, its possible legion broke 10mil or so but only for a short period of time during launch, it didn't see a stable 11-12mil population through it's entire cycle like wotlk did ergo wotlk is and likely forever will be the peak of wow in terms of sub numbers.

Also to note that tidbit mentions concurrency, not sub numbers directly. Everyone forced to endlessly farm artifact power to keep up might be a major factor in said statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribe View Post
    WoWs sub numbers in an officially released figure isn't as good as those die-hard WoW fans are hoping them to be. The moment Blizzard stopped releasing those numbers to the public, things began to be suspect in my eyes. No, you don't have to come out with every little variance from month to month/quarterly report to quarterly report, but the yearly generalization of a "Yeah, we had a great year this year with roughly 8.3 unique players subscribing to Wolrd of Warcraft investing xxx amount of hours into the game!" Sure, they could mess with some of the numbers to get to that 8.3 million amount, but at least they would be dropping numbers to brag about how well things are going.

But they're not.

Other than expansion release hype where a bunch of sales happen, people who'd not played in awhile come back, play a bit, then leave again, the player base has been in steady decline for years now. What's saved WoW was that declined was a slow one, wherein a 10,000 a month sub drop with a 6,000 sub gain globally wasn't a horrible thing. But now the player base is losing 100,000 a quarter (or more) after all the adjustments and now you're losing influencers who can dramatically affect your sub counts (and you just happen to call the biggest of them an asshole, publicly).
    When their sub numbers were over 10 million, it was great marketing. But when the figures dip significantly below that, not showing the exact figures prevents some of the inevitable memes or trolls from saying "lol see what your changes did? Cut the subs in half!"

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    But not the highest they ever been which was the argued point, its possible legion broke 10mil or so but only for a short period of time during launch, it didn't see a stable 11-12mil population through it's entire cycle like wotlk did ergo wotlk is and likely forever will be the peak of wow in terms of sub numbers.

Also to note that tidbit mentions concurrency, not sub numbers directly. Everyone forced to endlessly farm artifact power to keep up might be a major factor in said statement.
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    Becaus it basically is. Every corner u turn there’s a naked catboy. It’s an infestation and it’s repulsive and degenerate
    Are you scared that your weewee gets hard? Don't worry, It's a natural thing.

The whole FFXIV vs WoW crap is stupid

FFXIV would not exist in its current state without wow, Yoshi P said so himself. He and his development team looked at the disaster 1.0 was and started playing WoW at the tail end of Cataclysm, and Mists of Pandaria and took inspiration from it. They Took inspiration from Cataclysm and ended the world and remade it, Nidhogg was basically Deathwing done right, but Yoshi himself said if wow did not exist, we would not have FFXIV in its current form.

We should hope and pray WoW bounces back cause we don't want FFXIV to be the only thing and top dog cause thats when the higher ups step in, start to micromanage the shit out of things, implement predatory monetary systems and the quality starts to dwindle because the higher ups think the game is now "Too big to Fail" which is what happened to WoW.

The "Asmongold Effect" is pretty much a capstone moment on the movement of people from WoW to XIV over the course of the past few months. I had started noticing more and more "Former multi-year WoW vet tries XIV" vids on Youtube starting around March-April and they continued to increase as more and more of the bigger names amongst WoW content creators started trying their hand at the game.

That said, here we are now having received 2 updates on server/population status from Yoshida this week as servers pretty much always have at least a short queue to log in, even during non-peak hours. Game has absolutely exploded over the past couple of months, despite not having had any major patch in almost that same timeframe. But that's kind of irrelevant to new players since everything in the game is new to them...which is part of the point; there's years worth of new content to play in XIV, whereas with WoW you're railroaded into the current xpac while everything else is "old shit, who cares, lul", more or less.