Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Funny: Mike Ybarra, Blizzard co-leader, Screenshot in-game while Playing WoW

In the wake of a good amount of negative threads about the game, here is a post from the WoW Reddit.

Mike Ybarra, one half of the recently appointed co-leaders of Blizzard Entertainment in the wake of the lawsuit, was in LFR and a funny interaction ensued:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...t_a_celebrity/

His character in-game is "Qwik" and he also posts on the WoW Reddit to. Click on the URL to see his comment a couple of replies down.

I'm not familiar with Ybarra myself. At first I thought he was some random Activision employee/executive who was appointed, and not originally part of the Blizzard portion of the company. Or is he?

Anyway, kind of nice knowing he actually plays the game and engages with the community.

- - - Updated - - -

The title of the WoW Reddit thread is "I met a celebrity" and Ybarra's reply on the thread was:

TheRealQwik
    Co-Leader Mike Ybarra
    Celebrity? Nah. Fellow gamer….yes.

7+ Year Old Account
    He also streams the game on his twitch, and yeah he also does +20's, really cool dude, had to quit the game way back when cause he was so addicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Where's the "funny"?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Where's the "funny"?
    Its funny because the leader (not ceo btw) of Blizzard is one of the last remaining retail wow players.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think most Blizzard employees actually play Wow. I mean, just let them have some fun. It's really nice to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where's the "funny"?

It's a funny interaction. Look at the picture and given the context of it. If you don't find it funny, just say that.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    It's a funny interaction. Look at the picture and given the context of it. If you don't find it funny, just say that.
    That's just a normal interaction, there's no humor or attempts at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just a normal interaction, there's no humor or attempts at it.

So... it's not "funny" that somebody in a raid group recognized the new co-leader of Blizzard Entertainment's character, acknowledged it in the raid's chat, and the co-leader of Blizzard Entertainment's response, instead of verifying or denying or literally anything else, was "Shhh."

On top of that, his response in the Reddit post about the interaction is just a "normal interaction" and nothing humorous about it.

You don't need to try to justify to anybody in the thread why you don't find it funny.
    So again... if you don't find it funny, just say so.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    So... it's not "funny" that somebody in a raid group recognized the new co-leader of Blizzard Entertainment's character, acknowledged it in the raid's chat, and the co-leader of Blizzard Entertainment's response, instead of verifying or denying or literally anything else, was "Shhh."

On top of that, his response in the Reddit post about the interaction is just a "normal interaction" and nothing humorous about it.
    Yes, completely. Now you understand basic human interaction isn't always fueled by humor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I think most Blizzard employees actually play Wow. I mean, just let them have some fun. It's really nice to see.
    Yeah, it's ironic that when a lot of anger comes out about system designs and the path the game takes going forward, one of the arguments many angry players make is "do the devs even play their own game?!?!" so when something like this surfaces it's refreshing.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, completely. Now you understand basic human interaction isn't always fueled by humor.

No, I understand that you need to validate why something isn't the way myself or anybody views it as.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-09-12 at 03:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This kind of thing is exactly why most Blizzard employees keep their identities secret.

Like the guy was literally just trying to play the game, now people gotta make a big deal about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    This kind of thing is exactly why most Blizzard employees keep their identities secret.

Like the guy was literally just trying to play the game, now people gotta make a big deal about it.

According to FelPlague he streams on Twitch as well. Perhaps on that same character.

The meme that "None of the devs actually play WoW" has no bearing on reality. Of course they play the game, regardless of what salty consumers say.

Where's the "funny"?
    very good question

Cool story, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    Cool story, bro.

Somebody in the Reddit thread commented that very same thing. I wonder if it's you

i'm honestly happy to see someone from blizz actually playing wow. it also helps that the guy openly said on his stream that he hated the aoe cap and then it was changed suddenly. the guy may actually get what we're saying and forcing it on those arrogant devs.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kinda nice knowing the higher ups actually play their game

I do my best to avoid negativity bandwagons, but this guy gives me a lot of "I'm one of you gamerz", which I think is a bit artificial to sway the community feelings after the recent debacle.

They let JAB go and picked 2 co-ceos. One who is a woman - to make regular people happy and one who is a gamerr - to make gamers happy.

Mike Ybarra is also crazily active on twitter, posting stuff about the game all the time and even replying to content creators. Definitely a positive thing, but it's also for sure clearly a PR stunt. In the end just try to keep a level-headed approach. Don't get too excited nor too angry. It's just a game, after all.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Love Qwik! Great dood, and hopefully will make the bridge between the community and the devs smoother (hopefully)