Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Being an Early Adopter SUCKS - Linus tech tip OLED TV as monitor update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWrFEU_605g

This video should be used as a cautionary tale on not using your OLED TV as a monitor. I've made threads in the past but this changed my mind completely. Most people that will use an LG OLED as a monitor will use it for at least 8+ hours a day. Most of that time will be looking at static images. Unless you feel like doing a laundry list of tasks such as: no taskbar, turning off the TV after a while, no static images, wallpaper engines, etc. Then steer clear from using this tv as a monitor. Youtube is full of people claiming OLEDs make good PC monitors but that is simply not true. Burn in will happen faster if you do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait, you mean dont listen to youtubers that throw money around at the latest tech with affiliate links in the description? Wow!

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, JayzTwoCents is shilling the Odyssey Neo G9, which I've RMA'd TWICE due to broken HDR and other QC issues.

OT: OLED gonna OLED. Anyone who's had a Samsung or similar phone can attest to the rapid degradation of the display. Just -don't- use one as a monitor unless you're willing to deal with the burn-in or feel like spending the money again within a year or so.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

I feel if you spent even a cursory amount of time looking at the technology the tv/monitor is based on, you would have realized that it was going to have issues in that role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the organic phosphorous is gonna burn away. Have to replace OLED monitors every couple of years if you use it a lot or take measures to mitigate which must get tiresome in the long run and burn you out as well haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Femininity View Post
    Anyone who's had a Samsung or similar phone can attest to the rapid degradation of the display. Just -don't- use one as a monitor unless you're willing to deal with the burn-in or feel like spending the money again within a year or so.
    I've had a Samsung Android tablet for a year and use it every day for an hour or two. Can't see any burn-in as yet but I'm aware it's happening with OLED. The quality of the display is pristine though.

I was looking to upgrade my main monitor at around the time a lot of tech Youtubers where all raving about the LG OLED's, I was tempted, but a friend had issues with burn in on a pretty expensive OLED TV after around a year (even though he had been reasonably careful with it). So I decided to stick to a regular panel, glad I did now.

I'll just stick to my standard monitors, I like my purchases to last "years" not "year"

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, JayzTwoCents is shilling the Odyssey Neo G9, which I've RMA'd TWICE due to broken HDR and other QC issues.

OT: OLED gonna OLED. Anyone who's had a Samsung or similar phone can attest to the rapid degradation of the display. Just -don't- use one as a monitor unless you're willing to deal with the burn-in or feel like spending the money again within a year or so.
    Jayztwocents is an idiot so I'm not surprised.

OT: Yeah burn-in remains a problem with OLED. If you buy one, you should consider the distinct possibility that it will start to have these issues within a year.

That said, OLED offers by far the best image quality and performance out of all the display technologies right now. If you have the money to potentially buy a new one every year, it's still the preferred type of monitor imo.

I own a LG CX65 and love it, but I use it for movies/blu-rays/4k blu-rays and console games, OLED's as they are now are not good for PC monitors for long term use. Sitting down for a movie on the OLED is second to none in terms of image quality though.

Ye well, it doesn't take much to find content like RTings OLED test, where they saw burn in was a problem with new content where they had their logos and banners at the same position. With PC it's even worse, because you have even more static content. You aren't going to change your folder and taskbar positions daily, all sites you frequent visit have around the same layout.. Etc. OLED as a monitor just doesn't work. Yet at least.

I don't know if OLED will ever be a thing for monitors, but personally am in the MicroLED waiting room.. But we need to wait for another 5 years at least for it.

Loving an OLED as my TV though. Just ye I would never use it as a monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Ye well, it doesn't take much to find content like RTings OLED test, where they saw burn in was a problem with new content where they had their logos and banners at the same position. With PC it's even worse, because you have even more static content. You aren't going to change your folder and taskbar positions daily, all sites you frequent visit have around the same layout.. Etc. OLED as a monitor just doesn't work. Yet at least.

I don't know if OLED will ever be a thing for monitors, but personally am in the MicroLED waiting room.. But we need to wait for another 5 years at least for it.

Loving an OLED as my TV though. Just ye I would never use it as a monitor.
    Last year they released the first highend OLED monitor that dont burn in but 20000$ ^^.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Last year they released the first highend OLED monitor that dont burn in but 20000$ ^^.
    Kinda curious how they managed to make it not burn in considering burnin is an inherent problem in OLED where the "pixels" break down after being used too much

best to think of linus as a entertainment channel, not an advice/educational/technology channel. more of a "look at this outlandish thing we did" vs a "should you actually do this?" thing.

bit of a trend on youtube, in just about every "professional reacts" category, the top channel actually is (or has become) an entertainment channel in disguise, and the more objective content is found in the medium size ones. or worded differently: if youtube is their dayjob instead of their hobby, be careful what they say.

e.g. i kinda liked that economy explained guy until he did a video on my country and i realized just how sensationalist and out of date it all was. i liked that legal eagle guy until he started spouting way too much politics. and linus is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    best to think of linus as a entertainment channel, not an advice/educational/technology channel.
    Popular channels are popular because they target the wide audience with their content.

It has to be simple to understand, more entertaining and less educational and a polarising twist for additional drama on top of that to farm some extra views with a click-bait title/story.

Free information sources mean you are also responsible to check the authenticity yourself. We cant just fool around and blame false informations on the source.

LTT makes it clear what they do - PAYED ADVERTISING - and they mention their scripted content workflow in many videos. If you watch it, you better watch it not as your main news source or even worse for PC hardware build advise.
    -

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Yeah the organic phosphorous is gonna burn away. Have to replace OLED monitors every couple of years if you use it a lot or take measures to mitigate which must get tiresome in the long run and burn you out as well haha.

I've had a Samsung Android tablet for a year and use it every day for an hour or two. Can't see any burn-in as yet but I'm aware it's happening with OLED. The quality of the display is pristine though.
    WTF, they use phosphorous? We're wasting precious phosphorous on some shitty ass monitors you're gonna have to replace in two years? I thought we learned our fucking lesson with light-bulbs! God dammit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    best to think of linus as a entertainment channel, not an advice/educational/technology channel. more of a "look at this outlandish thing we did" vs a "should you actually do this?" thing.

bit of a trend on youtube, in just about every "professional reacts" category, the top channel actually is (or has become) an entertainment channel in disguise, and the more objective content is found in the medium size ones. or worded differently: if youtube is their dayjob instead of their hobby, be careful what they say.

e.g. i kinda liked that economy explained guy until he did a video on my country and i realized just how sensationalist and out of date it all was. i liked that legal eagle guy until he started spouting way too much politics. and linus is no different.
    Agreed, I never have any interest in buying anything Linus reviews, it's just interesting and entertaining to see him do it.

Ive been using my CX 48" OLED as a monitor for over a year now. No burn in etc.

I saw the Linus Tech Tips video you linked, and I agree that it's a cautionary tale for anyone thinking about using an OLED TV as a monitor. It's important to consider the risks of burn-in, especially if you plan on using the TV for long periods.

15+ Year Old Account

Never had issues with Samsung OLED phones and I've never experienced burn in on a phone.
    I've had Note 10+ for 3 years and everything was fine, even the battery. I replaced it because my motorcycle destroyed its camera stabilization or else I would've continued using it for at least 1-2 more years.

But yeah, JayZ is a shiller. A clown I'm subbed to because he's an entertaining clown. I enjoy watching his content because he is basically just a PC builder who's got a big channel. He doesn't really do anything else well.
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2023-03-29 at 12:06 PM.

My g9 (non neo) has shitty gsync compatibility and looses signal from time to time (have to turn it off and on again) with vrr active, on the other hand my AW3423DW looks wonderful (has 3 year burn in protection) superb hdr (g9 has terrible dimming) and works like a charm with true gsync, not that meme "gsync compatibility" that nearly every low-middle range gaming monitor has today, yes samsung monitors are buggy as f...
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

For what it's worth seems like WOLED is less burn in likely than QD-OLED from what RTINGS said. They now added QD-OLED monitors to their OLED test, so we should see some results this year on if they are as burn in likely as the new QD-OLED TVs are.

Am personally really thinking of getting a 42" C3 now that the 43" Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo seems like a dud. But there's only a few reviews on that so far.