Why doesn't anyone use healing magic to heal a disability?

I mean, we certainly don't know the limits of healing magic, but Light can at least bring back to life (although the spiritual aspect is also very important here, the soul returns to the body), but what about disability? Can't Lor'themar just ask any powerful priest / druid to restore his eye? Or Drek'thar, who is now in a wheelchair. Isn't it possible with the help of Life magic to rejuvenate his body so that he can walk again? As far as I remember, trolls can grow severed limbs thanks to their regeneration, and their regeneration is a gift of loa (that is, again, the magic of life).

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Healing magic doesn't seem to be able to heal disabilities or completely severed limbs under normal circumstances - it promotes the body's own healing mechanisms and greatly accelerates and enhances the natural processes, but can't reattach a severed limb or regrow lost portions of one's anatomy. There are some cases in which this limitation can be overcome, but generally, this is also via non-repeatable or difficult to attain circumstances, such as divine intervention, the application of powerful artifacts, and/or unique confluences or occasions.

Trolls are a special case in which they have a comprehensive divine gift that gives them powerful natural healing, but even that is limited in that it can't always regrow greater limbs (e.g. Zul'jin) - although this may be something that fluctuates depending on a specific Troll's relations with their tribal Loa.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Drek'thar is in a wheelchair not because he broke his legs, but because he's old. His disablity is a result of aging, and to my knowledge, there's no magic in the WoW universe that inherently has the power to restore one's youth (with the exception of perhaps fel / warlock magic, which someone like Drek'thar would never resort to for obvious reasons).

Writers think "chicks dig scars" or "scars show character development". Please see "I aM My sCaRs!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Healing magic doesn't seem to be able to heal disabilities or completely severed limbs under normal circumstances - it promotes the body's own healing mechanisms and greatly accelerates and enhances the natural processes, but can't reattach a severed limb or regrow lost portions of one's anatomy. There are some cases in which this limitation can be overcome, but generally, this is also via non-repeatable or difficult to attain circumstances, such as divine intervention, the application of powerful artifacts, and/or unique confluences or occasions.

Trolls are a special case in which they have a comprehensive divine gift that gives them powerful natural healing, but even that is limited in that it can't always regrow greater limbs (e.g. Zul'jin) - although this may be something that fluctuates depending on a specific Troll's relations with their tribal Loa.
    Yes, but Loa's gift is the magic of life isn't it? I mean, Malfurion is more impressive than any loa, maybe he could do something like that.

One of the developers replied that the Loa were disappointed with Zul'jin and deprived of his regeneration
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Drek'thar is in a wheelchair not because he broke his legs, but because he's old. His disablity is a result of aging, and to my knowledge, there's no magic in the WoW universe that inherently has the power to restore one's youth (with the exception of perhaps fel / warlock magic, which someone like Drek'thar would never resort to for obvious reasons).
    I mean, druids literally have an ability called rejuvenation ...
    We also saw how nightborne elves healed their wounds by rewinding time
    Last edited by darkoms; 2021-11-09 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Writers think "chicks dig scars" or "scars show character development". Please see "I aM My sCaRs!"
    God this line is still up there with draenor is free as the most vomit-inducing moments in wow's lore.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trolls are a special case in which they have a comprehensive divine gift that gives them powerful natural healing, but even that is limited in that it can't always regrow greater limbs (e.g. Zul'jin)
    Trolls can regenerate Limbs. Zul'Jin's Eye and Arm not regenerating is either his own choice or Loa intervention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Trolls can regenerate Limbs. Zul'Jin's Eye and Arm not regenerating is either his own choice or Loa intervention.
    It's inconsistent, really. The Ask a CDev portions state that Trolls can regrow lost fingers and toes, but not major limbs like an entire leg or arm, whereas the Chronicle series only states that Trolls can regrow limbs (which fingers and toes technically are) without extrapolating overly. In the short story The Judgment it's specifically stated that Trolls can't regrow major limbs, but can regrow up to a hand or foot. In Shadows of the Horde the Zandalari can almost instantly repair arrow punctures, recover from a collapsed lung, as well as reset and almost instantly use a broken limb.

As for Zul'jin, could be either one or could be that he was simply too injured to regenerate. Alternatively, his wounds were made with magical weaponry to prevent regeneration, like with Trol'kalar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    Yes, but Loa's gift is the magic of life isn't it? I mean, Malfurion is more impressive than any loa, maybe he could do something like that.

One of the developers replied that the Loa were disappointed with Zul'jin and deprived of his regeneration
    Unsure if it's really Life specifically - could be Spirit or even Death. When Bwonsamdi took away Vol'jin's "sense of being a Troll," which included his ability to regenerate from wounds, the actual substance of "being a Troll" was described as a sphere of shadowy, wispy energy before it was restored to Vol'jin and he began rapidly recovering from his injuries during the events of Shadows of the Horde. That doesn't really sound like Life magic, but it could also be that the substance of it varies from patron Loa to patron Loa (and Death would make sense for Bwonsamdi, given his portfolio).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

It's inconsistent, really. The Ask a CDev portions state that Trolls can regrow lost fingers and toes, but not major limbs like an entire leg or arm, whereas the Chronicle series only states that Trolls can regrow limbs (which fingers and toes technically are) without extrapolating overly. In the short story The Judgment it's specifically stated that Trolls can't regrow major limbs, but can regrow up to a hand or foot. In Shadows of the Horde the Zandalari can almost instantly repair arrow punctures, recover from a collapsed lung, as well as reset and almost instantly use a broken limb.

As for Zul'jin, could be either one or could be that he was simply too injured to regenerate. Alternatively, his wounds were made with magical weaponry to prevent regeneration, like with Trol'kalar.

- - - Updated - - -

Unsure if it's really Life specifically - could be Spirit or even Death. When Bwonsamdi took away Vol'jin's "sense of being a Troll," which included his ability to regenerate from wounds, the actual substance of "being a Troll" was described as a sphere of shadowy, wispy energy before it was restored to Vol'jin and he began rapidly recovering from his injuries during the events of Shadows of the Horde. That doesn't really sound like Life magic, but it could also be that the substance of it varies from patron Loa to patron Loa (and Death would make sense for Bwonsamdi, given his portfolio).
    I suppose the essence of being a troll is his soul?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's inconsistent, really. The Ask a CDev portions state that Trolls can regrow lost fingers and toes, but not major limbs like an entire leg or arm, whereas the Chronicle series only states that Trolls can regrow limbs (which fingers and toes technically are) without extrapolating overly.
    I tend to only accept Chronicle lore as the complete lore these days. Since thats what they originally said they were and disregard any Retcons to it from their current shithouse writers.

Also Limbs I accept as Legs and Arms. Toes and Fingers I'd call appendages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I tend to only accept Chronicle lore as the complete lore these days. Since thats what they originally said they were and disregard any Retcons to it from their current shithouse writers.

Also Limbs I accept as Legs and Arms. Toes and Fingers I'd call appendages.
    The Chronicle, as I said above, doesn't really go beyond saying they can regenerate limbs - which toes and fingers are (arms and legs are also appendages, as is anything else that sticks out from the human torso). If Chronicle was explicit you could say it was a retcon, but since it doesn't really go into specifics then it's difficult to say what the limit actually is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    I suppose the essence of being a troll is his soul?
    It seems to explicitly be his healing factor, since before it was restored to him he was unable to heal from the injuries he took at the hands of Rak'gor Bloodrazor in Pandaria. Beyond that he was still himself, so likely still in possession of his soul; he could even commune with the other Loa, except Bwonsamdi didn't accept him as himself until Vol'jin had chosen to act as opposed to feeling sorry for himself.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Story reasons, it’s like that in other games, where you can heal any wound as a player but asoon as a friendly npc takes a scratch they keel over.