Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Games to movies/shows have just never worked that well.
    Arcane, based off League of Legends, is incredibly well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Arcane, based off League of Legends, is incredibly well done.
    It's the best Video Game to TV Show Adaptation thats ever being made ever imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The WoT series certainly has lots of problems, but effort put in is probably not one of them. It has a MASSIVE budget.

And, funnily enough, we're at a kind of tipping point where SF series might actually be cheaper to make than fantasy, because it requires less "real" stuff and technology like massive background screens cut down a fair bit on the production costs.

Adapting a video game story can also be easier than adapting a book (though it has its own pitfalls) because the dialogue etc. are already fairly cinematic. I could see this working.
    Yes and no about the budget. The per episode budget is quite high...but the first season is only 8 episodes. I think they'd have been better off going for more episodes with a smaller per episode budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I think you're confusing "effort" with "quality". One does not necessarily lead to the other, I agree - but then again, it's very hard to measure quality, while effort can often be distilled down into at least vaguely useful metrics (like budget, or work hours, etc.).
    I definitely mean effort. Two people can be given the same budget/assignment and end up with very different results depending on the amount of effort they put into the project. Referring back to WoT, it has a massive budget but it feels soulless - not much effort was put into actually making sure it was good.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The animation of Arcane was disappointingly mundane, but at least LoL's artstyle justified it being 3D CGI.

The Mass Effect games were never stylized like LoL was. It went for that hyper-realistic look. Mind as well go live action anyway.

No chance of that happening. I haven't seen a maturely written western live action show since Bonanza.
    I mean the show has virtually perfect reviews from all sources, this is just your very minority opinion.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Clone wars was plenty profitable. It was praised by critics and fans alike. Merchandise was everywhere.

Are we calling Avatar and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull "Art" now?

And why do you think it is that Nolan and Cameron get those "blank checks" anyway? Could it possibly be because they've made the studios lots of money?
    not so sure about anything episode 1-3 was Praised... But yeah it was absolutely profitable, especially the merchandise.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

The biggest reason arcane is good imo is because the makers of it came from within riot and knew how to portray their IP right, the main reason most video game adaptations is shit imo is because the game company hands over everything to some idiot director who has no clue about the IP.

So I don't have any hope this will turn out good, even if bioware was involved as that studio is long since dead.

This could be awesome, but lets be honest, it most probably won't.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    But will it be Femshep? I want it to be femshep.

I can't think of too many characters that could easily be cut, certainly none of the aliens. (I know a lot of monsters out there never recruited garrus but would you want to see a mass effect show without Garrus?)

No Tali, Wrex, Grunt?

I'd almost prefer that they make Andromeda into a tv series, take as many liberties there as they like. I am super touchy about Mass Effect, I don't think anything would make me happy, even something like femshep not having red hair would feel annoying.

A new story in the mass effect universe though? I could enjoy that. Or even a show following Hacket and Anderson in the first contact war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

best way would probably be to make it just happen in that universe rather than make it about the game characters. especially since it's going to be a tv series.
    anyways i'm always down for more scifi stuff to watch.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure this will be trash like every other adaptation recently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post

I can't think of too many characters that could easily be cut, certainly none of the aliens. (I know a lot of monsters out there never recruited garrus but would you want to see a mass effect show without Garrus?)

No Tali, Wrex, Grunt?

I'd almost prefer that they make Andromeda into a tv series, take as many liberties there as they like. I am super touchy about Mass Effect, I don't think anything would make me happy, even something like femshep not having red hair would feel annoying.

A new story in the mass effect universe though? I could enjoy that. Or even a show following Hacket and Anderson in the first contact war.
    Humanity first discovering its relay would be cool. Maybe a story set during Mass Effect 3 but of some B team fight somewhere else.

Like you said, there's always Andromeda. I think Shepard as the focus is a trap. Too much room to mess up and tick people off. Have the events of the Normandy crew as a background subplot if one must.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Humanity first discovering its relay would be cool. Maybe a story set during Mass Effect 3 but of some B team fight somewhere else.

Like you said, there's always Andromeda. I think Shepard as the focus is a trap. Too much room to mess up and tick people off. Have the events of the Normandy crew as a background subplot if one must.
    Yeah Humanity discovering the relays and The First Contact War would be pretty cool to see. First Contact War would also let them use Anderson as the protagonist or one of them if they had multiple.

The story (and everything else) of Andromeda was terrible imo. I don't think it could make a good tv series plus basically every plotline from it aside the pathfinder AI could just be done in the regular Mass Effect universe.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post

No Tali, Wrex, Grunt?

Garrus, Tali, Liara and Wrex should all be in the series...if they base it on the trilogy. I think actually most of the new characters from ME2 and 3 could be cut pretty easily, though...including Grunt. Most of the Characters from ME2 were just replacements for characters from ME1. I think Mordin and Thane would be the only ones I'd really miss. All the DLC characters feel like they were squarepegged in.

I think the biggest danger of basing it on the trilogy would be how they handle Shephard working with Cerberus. It always felt like a gimmick that was more tied into the gameplay morality mechanic than a necessary story choice. I don't know what the best way to handle that would be.

I don't think Mass Effect works as a TV show unless it's prior to the main series too many decisions that even if they don't have far reaching impact will have people saying that isn't Shepard.

If it aint mark meer/jennifer hale it aint mass effect

Pd: also, the best way to go about this is to NOT fuck with the OG trilogy, like the first contact, or anderson rise to becoming a spectre

If it doesn't have the Mako in it in all its bouncy glory then I am not interested!!

I'm very.... neutral on this show, TBH. would I love to see live action Mass Effect? heck yeah. but... i do NOT want it to be about Shepard. I would be ok if Shepard is mentioned in a background if Normandy is seen maybe... but I'd rather the stories were set in that world but did NOT center around in game events, unless they are showing aforementioned events from a perspective of someone else.

or better yet.. give me first contact and Turian war. prequel.

but that's just my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Yeah Humanity discovering the relays and The First Contact War would be pretty cool to see. First Contact War would also let them use Anderson as the protagonist or one of them if they had multiple.

The story (and everything else) of Andromeda was terrible imo. I don't think it could make a good tv series plus basically every plotline from it aside the pathfinder AI could just be done in the regular Mass Effect universe.
    Andromeda as in any story set in Andromeda, not necessarily the one in the game.

Another story, probably way too ambitious, could be the foundation of the Reapers.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post

Part of the Reason Andromeda story sucks, is that it was designed assuming to be the start of a new trilogy of games. While this is true for the original Mass Effect, they didn't think Andromeda would fail to get a sequel. The story is very akin to the first game in terms of setting up the main antagonists.

---

On the series itself, I hope it isn't a Shepard series and takes place prior to the first game. Otherwise, it should be set in Andromeda because I don't want them to make a canonized Shepard.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code