Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    You cant do a massive engine overhaul of a game like wow,what FF did was insane and pretty sure unprecedented and they did it extremly early,not after 20 years of content that would completly need reworked to function in a new engine

a wow2 or the next mmo they make is the only shot at that
    A 100% new engine and 100% new assets would be the cleanest solution. It may end up being easier than trying to update existing mechanics and art assets too.

My dream would be this: the next expansion is...no expansion! Instead, release all the old expansions as separate server clusters. Even better, add progression characters that can move to the next expansion once they complete an expansion's checklist. For example, going to a Cata server would require lvl 80 as well as a clear of each Wrath dungeon and raid.

This launch would offer tons of replayability, more than a single expansion, which would hopefully give the devs more time to work on WoW2.

If this sounds far-fetched, the tech already seems to exist for vanilla to TBC classic servers. The remaining work would be getting the other expansion servers up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    A 100% new engine and 100% new assets would be the cleanest solution. It may end up being easier than trying to update existing mechanics and art assets too.

My dream would be this: the next expansion is...no expansion! Instead, release all the old expansions as separate server clusters. Even better, add progression characters that can move to the next expansion once they complete an expansion's checklist. For example, going to a Cata server would require lvl 80 as well as a clear of each Wrath dungeon and raid.

This launch would offer tons of replayability, more than a single expansion, which would hopefully give the devs more time to work on WoW2.

If this sounds far-fetched, the tech already seems to exist for vanilla to TBC classic servers. The remaining work would be getting the other expansion servers up and running.
    nice ideas,but i dont agree with gatekeeping an entire expansion behind clearing the previous ones raids lol

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Every expansion is a reset.

If you want something even 'harder', there's Classic \ Seasons of Mastery for completely fresh starts at various points.

Mythic raids and M+ continue to be sensational features i thoroughly enjoy. Lore doesn't mean anything to me, if i want a good story i'll read proper novels by quality writers (WoW's lore\story\writing was always mediocre, if not bad), so, whilst the gameplay and end game continue to be as high quality as they are, i feel there's no need to stop developing the game, more patches, more expansions.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure i agree considering the monthly fee hasn't increased AT ALL in the past 17 years (still 13€\m since release). If anything, playing WoW is cheaper than it ever was. And if i'm not mistaken, a WoW token in the US region is like 170-190k? That's very easy to obtain if the actual fee might be 'prohibitive' as you say.

This is very, very far from what is wrong with WoW.
    I used to pay $15 a month now I pay $22 almost after taxes it most definitely went up. Yeah but here's the thing people like to play other games I don't want to just play World of Warcraft and nothing else that would be a boring life. And they're not getting me to play their game by having a fee which isn't reasonable since both me and my wife play at the same time when we play. Just because your region didn't change doesn't mean that the price hasn't gone up considerably in other places. At the very least they should drop the Box price on expansions if they're gonna continue to expect a monthly fee. The gold to get a token still takes a lot of effort especially if you're trying to make 2 of them a month to pay for your wife and yourself and keep up with everything else on multiple characters.
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2022-01-14 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If you want a reset, play Classic.
    Listen this is a cop out reply. Because it doesn't address the main question I posed. Which is, is it time to reset the lore timeline to go in a different more concise direction.
    Classic isn't the answer because it just leads to the same conclusion. They would basically need to trim some fat and put all the different timelines together in a meaningful way that sums up the whole history of wow through all the expansions. Maybe 5-10 levels through each expac or something.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I used to pay $15 a month now I pay $22 almost after taxes it most definitely went up. Yeah but here's the thing people like to play other games I don't want to just play World of Warcraft and nothing else that would be a boring life. And they're not getting me to play their game by having a fee which isn't reasonable since both me and my wife play at the same time when we play. Just because your region didn't change doesn't mean that the price hasn't gone up considerably in other places. At the very least they should drop the Box price on expansions if they're gonna continue to expect a monthly fee. The gold to get a token still takes a lot of effort especially if you're trying to make 2 of them a month to pay for your wife and yourself and keep up with everything else on multiple characters.
    You can blame your government for any price hikes you got with the subscription rates. Blizzard merely abides by the laws your country set on taxes and other such fees.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Somone said every expansion is supposed to be a reset. This couldn't be further from the truth. Expansions of games are supposed to be just that. Content that EXPANDS upon the existing game. Not a totally NEW game built within the existing game. They should have just made new dungeons and areas of the map explorable within the existing zones.
    Such as how they started to do with Cata. My thing was this was a good step in the right direction but it was like most WOW expansions, Half-baked.
    The novelty of the new leveling experience faded quickly because there was no reason to interact with leveling content outside of leveling up alts etc. If they had made World Quests within the zones all over the globe for players to interact with then it would have been something for max level chars to do and bring them back to those revamped zones that they just rushed though the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    You can blame your government for any price hikes you got with the subscription rates. Blizzard merely abides by the laws your country set on taxes and other such fees.
    That's not true at all you're completely wrong, Activision hiked prices up in a bunch of different regions a few years ago because they didn't want to take the hit by making things priced fairly in each region it's just a straight conversion of price now which isn't really fair for consumers in the long run, anybody who sticks up for blizzard doesn't give a shit about people is the way I see it now, they're literally the richest game company in the world, at least one of them. They don't give 2 fucks about us or you or anybody else at the end of the day.

Regardless I'm not going to play it legally, I own every version of wow that has come out so I have the right to play it on a private server anyway.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's not true at all you're completely wrong, Activision hiked prices up in a bunch of different regions a few years ago because they didn't want to take the hit by making things priced fairly in each region it's just a straight conversion of price now which isn't really fair for consumers in the long run, anybody who sticks up for blizzard doesn't give a shit about people is the way I see it now, they're literally the richest game company in the world, at least one of them. They don't give 2 fucks about us or you or anybody else at the end of the day.

Regardless I'm not going to play it legally, I own every version of wow that has come out so I have the right to play it on a private server anyway.
    So you are saying that the price you pay is equivalent to the price I pay in another country? Sounds fair to me. Is it Blizzard's fault if the currency exchange rate caused the price hike where you live?

What they need is a new expansion that goes from 1 to 60. And now would be the right time as "WoW Story: Book 1" will be finished after Shadowlands as Danuser said. All old expansions can stay in chromie time as "WoW adventures: Book 1" or whatever. Would also be good for new players so they can follow the story and dont get confused by all the old lore.

The only thing is that they would have to scale the new expansion content form 50-60 or from 1-60 depending on the char (lvl 1-49 or lvl 50+).

So you are saying that the price you pay is equivalent to the price I pay in another country? Sounds fair to me. Is it Blizzard's fault if the currency exchange rate caused the price hike where you live?
    No what I am saying is they used to take a small loss in some regions to make the pricing fair. You can just agree it was a dick move of them, you don't have to white knight for them constantly like a pasty shill.

They are going to continue to get the ever living shit sued out of them until they are bankrupt anywyas so within a few years all the Blizzard ip will be up for sale, hopefully someone like Microsoft buys it and they can add it to GamePass.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No what I am saying is they used to take a small loss in some regions to make the pricing fair. You can just agree it was a dick move of them, you don't have to white knight for them constantly like a pasty shill.

They are going to continue to get the ever living shit sued out of them until they are bankrupt anywyas so within a few years all the Blizzard ip will be up for sale, hopefully someone like Microsoft buys it and they can add it to GamePass.
    So the fact that a company charges equivalent pricing everywhere without taking a hit one place to "make it fair" is me white knighting and being a pasty shill??? Nice trying to attack me with name calling when it is something that EVERY company does by charging the exchange rate amount to make the money the same in every country. You are still being charged the equivalent of $15 American even though it costs more in your country. It would be fair to me if I lived in a country that got charged that same exchange rate too. If you don't like it, there are other games you can play and you can speak with your wallet to let Blizzard know your thoughts on the matter.

So the fact that a company charges equivalent pricing everywhere without taking a hit one place to "make it fair" is me white knighting and being a pasty shill??? Nice trying to attack me with name calling when it is something that EVERY company does by charging the exchange rate amount to make the money the same in every country. You are still being charged the equivalent of $15 American even though it costs more in your country. It would be fair to me if I lived in a country that got charged that same exchange rate too. If you don't like it, there are other games you can play and you can speak with your wallet to let Blizzard know your thoughts on the matter.
    I did, I pirate WoW now fuck Activision, problem solved on my end, haven't paid for it since Shadowfail launched and disappointed the majority of players with any semblance of integrity left. The price thing was just them showing people how much they care about money more than the experience and the players.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did, I pirate WoW now fuck Activision, problem solved on my end, haven't paid for it since Shadowfail launched and disappointed the majority of players with any semblance of integrity left. The price thing was just them showing people how much they care about money more than the experience and the players.
    Then why all the backlash against me? If you are using pirate servers, you have NO SAY in how much the cost is in Canada. BTW, most provinces in Canada DID cause the cost to go up as they added taxes and the such to Blizzard. You don't expect ANY company to charge you the same amount and then have to pay your government those taxes that the company has to legally charge and then pay, do you? As I stated in my first response you replied to, you can blame your government. Blizzard isn't going to pay out almost as much money as they charge you just so you can play their game. And no, there is no white knighting here. That is common business sense.

WoW cannot reset. It's a simple truth. The game is big because of it's past achievements. Splitting it's playerbase in a reboot would mean the game is pretty much set on not being in the top 2 slots anymore. But the reality is that the game is going to continue to slide just because of old the game is and how out-of-touch it is with the MMORPG market.

It's literally a legacy game at this point and the Devs/Activision know it.

The time to right the ship would have been midway through Cata. Arrogance and greed won out over good design and stories, and Blizz has earned WAY too much ill will, particularly in recent years, for anyone to give them another try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

10+ Year Old Account
    The only "reset" I would agree on, is a WoW 2 creation, where the story is taking place in the future.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I am not sure if a full reset is needed (although I would not be opposed to it). Instead in my opinion what is needed is less focus on "systems" and "borrowed power" and more focus on class design and what to do with talent trees. I could make a full five page post on this topic, but ill save that for another time. As far as a reset goes in the terms of reset as in getting back to the basics that made WOW, yes that is 100% needed to save the game (the top 5% that play wow competitively are not going to save the game). As far as full reset as in start from scratch, I would have to think a little more on that.

Then why all the backlash against me? If you are using pirate servers, you have NO SAY in how much the cost is in Canada. BTW, most provinces in Canada DID cause the cost to go up as they added taxes and the such to Blizzard. You don't expect ANY company to charge you the same amount and then have to pay your government those taxes that the company has to legally charge and then pay, do you? As I stated in my first response you replied to, you can blame your government. Blizzard isn't going to pay out almost as much money as they charge you just so you can play their game. And no, there is no white knighting here. That is common business sense.
    Sorry I just get heated sometimes, I cannot defend corporations and their bullshit anymore.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    WoW 2 here we come, time for electric bugaloo!
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Work with different time lines. As example you can relive any expansion but only 1 is canon. That is why a World revamp is a MUST in 10.0
    Imagine being new and having no clue why Thrall is Warchief and 1 day later he is just a random nobody and 1 day later he is back to being some Shaman God.

But it requires a bit revamp and it really depends on how deducated Blizzard is with their franchise.

We can hope!
    Yes I agree!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. The games that have been running 10+ years how many of the just "restarted" where progress is lost and just remove everything and start back at expansion 1 with you keeping everything you got.
    I never said for them to delete everything story-wise. Just trim the fat and make an agreed upon cannon and roll it togther in a linear storyline for the player character to follow. Like a toned down Main Story Questline like how they do it in FFXIV, but with the quests being more to the point and also allowing the player character to get off the train whenever they felt like it by just doing side quests and such. Then if they wish come back to it later. That way it becomes a streamlined experience telling a fluid story.