Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Can the WoW userbase tolerate another expansion without new races or classes?

This question is simple: Shadowlands brought no new races or classes into WoW, do you think WoW players would be okay with yet another expansion with no new races or classes, or do you feel that Blizzard should really make an effort to bring either one of these (or both) into 10.0? If there is no new race or class in the next expansion, do you think it will have an effect on 10.0? Explain your answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    This question is simple: Shadowlands brought no new races or classes into WoW, do you think WoW players would be okay with yet another expansion with no new races or classes, or do you feel that Blizzard should really make an effort to bring either one of these (or both) into 10.0? If there is no new race or class in the next expansion, do you think it will have an effect on 10.0? Explain your answer.
    Have a feeling that can't tolerate not getting their way in content. I would love a new class, not really race but right now, I just want to see the expansion taking place in our homeworld instead of some far-away place but doesn't matter, even if they managed to pull out a Wrath, MoP or Legion (My top 3), people are going to complain.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

In terms of popularity? No it cant.

In terms of gameplay? Definitely, game is semi-unbalanced in some things as is, and everything is similar because years of tears about "WHY IS PURE DPS CLASS DOING 0.3% MORE DPS THAN ME" made things as it is, so another class just makes things worst.

But they should at least do one major change in 10.0, whether is getting rid of factions, new class or new races, something massive needs to happen for the feeling of "Fresh", the same way Legion being praised so much despite being a shit show and the start of everything negative the last 5 years, but people praise it for some reason, because many "newish" things that give the feeling of major changes, despite another 20 negative changes.

They are absolutely irrelevant to improving the game, FOTM players will love it but most stick to their main. A new class I'm not interested in levelling a 13th toon and a new race? nah I'm not paying to race change these are flavour things and do not address the core problems with the game systems and design.

in terms of sustaining and growing, no. new races and more so new classes bring people back and get new people to try them out. I'm shocked SL didn't have a new class.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Problem with WoW has been less the absence of new features but rather the quality of features.

I don't think WOW need new races simply removing all barriers to getting the existing ones. Blizzard needs to get rid of this design philosophy where everything is like a mobile game and you need a boring grind for things that you shouldn't (races, flying, etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I don't think WOW need new races simply removing all barriers to getting the existing ones. Blizzard needs to get rid of this design philosophy where everything is like a mobile game and you need a boring grind for things that you shouldn't (races, flying, etc).
    I definitely agree. A big example would be the requirements for allied races getting removed in 10.0.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Have a feeling that can't tolerate not getting their way in content. I would love a new class, not really race but right now, I just want to see the expansion taking place in our homeworld instead of some far-away place but doesn't matter, even if they managed to pull out a Wrath, MoP or Legion (My top 3), people are going to complain.
    To further this point, I was leveling in Pandaria, and I had forgotten how immersive a cohesive continent really is.

They dont need 2 new races, better to remove faction borders instead, will open up so many new races for both horde and alliance then just add 2 new races.

Yes they can and they will. There won't be a tinker class, ever. Get over it.

i'm honestly fine with no new classes or races. but the quality of the expansion better be there *cough* shadowlands and wod *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Problem with WoW has been less the absence of new features but rather the quality of features.
    True I can say BFA and SL from a content stand point have most been good though SL raids have a lot of poorly designed bosses. Council, stone generals. kt, fatebinder, treasure dude.

The main problem is the features really are awful.

Allied races are the new version of bringing races into the game. They do not and will not be bringing races into the game the old fashioned way anymore.

Wow also has enough classes. We do not need more. They need to work on the ones we have, not add more to mess balance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    i'm honestly fine with no new classes or races. but the quality of the expansion better be there *cough* shadowlands and wod *cough*
    Interestingly, those two expansions had no new races or classes. Could it be that expansions lacking those features are considered “less than”?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Allied races are the new version of bringing races into the game. They do not and will not be bringing races into the game the old fashioned way anymore.

Wow also has enough classes. We do not need more. They need to work on the ones we have, not add more to mess balance.
    Considering that Blizzard remixes the existing classes every expansion, I don’t believe that perfect balance is a realistic goal.

I don't think that a new race or class is that high on the playerbases wish list for wanting to play WoW, they want the game to be actually good. They could maybe forgive its absence if all the other content is at least of high quality. Quality over quantity or quantity over quality, either way SL has failed on both.

At this point I think added customizations for existing races > new races in terms of player excitement

Similarly a new class will generate a lot of interest. So would any sort of major customization to classes. Whether that be class skins or a vastly updated and overhauled glyph system.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sure they will either pop a race or class next.

That said - what would be more important is them popping 10.0 that does not become stale after 3 months and last 8 months only to get lukewarm 10.1 like we had in SL.

How they do it - up to them. Yes, there is C19 and shit is burning around them lately, but 8 months gaps between content patches simply don't work - they really need to aim at 5-6 months or rework the whole way they do patches to give smaller, more frequent content updates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    At this point I think added customizations for existing races > new races in terms of player excitement
    I think these are not mutually exclusive. New race/class is a much better selling point, but the flipside is yeah - after you have done checking out that new race/class and get back to your ol' trusty main - you'd like it to have more candy too.

That's why I hope they will keep adding more customizations to old races/classes, their SL customization push was nice, but I'd like to see it happen more in every expansion and not be a one time "here's 10 more haircuts and some jewelry for next 10 years" thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes. What they won't tolerate is a third straight expansion of overpromised and underdelivered "borrowed power" systems and features so poorly iterated and implemented that they're, at best, insufferable or, at worst, unplayable right out the gate.
    Last edited by Nero Duskwind; 2022-01-09 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Unfortunately borrowed features >> permanent features for current devs. Overall because permanent feature = supporting it forever, that inflates development budget. Example: one more class = being required to make one more class set forever. That's why devs do everything to avoid permanent features.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

The fact that they added so many new allied races yet made them gated behind stupid questlines and rep (which was rescinded) is just a testament for how stupid they are. They need to add new stuff to keep it interesting. Fuck what the retards think about balance. Just add the classes and say fuck it. A new class always injects life into the game.