Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Timegating straight from mobile games or f2p games

I mean, why it's still a thing? The entire research tree from 9.2 has this nonsense.
    It costs currency to purchase this research up front which itself takes time to get.

Why on earth you need to wait an additional 1-6 days for this to complete? You paid the currency cost!
    The only games that do this shit are either mobile games or F2P mmo's where they have an opportunity to shell out a few extra euros from you to skip this waiting.

It's like idk, grinding gold for the brutosaurus in BFA, and instead of just receiving the mount upon clicking "buy" you need to wait an additional 7 days for this to be delivered to your mailbox. It's BULLSHIT!

Systems like this cement me in decision to not return to the game.

It's better than the alternative of consuming all content 36 hours after a patch is released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    It's better than the alternative of consuming all content 36 hours after a patch is released.
    Because by your shill logics that don't fail to amaze us everyday when you post, the issue is not the development of just 36 hours of content, its the players fault for consuming that small amount of content fast. Hence you feel really smart saying inflating the time wasted for those actual 36 hours of content through every dumb f2p level of gating possible is somehow great design.
    Praise glorious company Blizzard!

10+ Year Old Account
    First glance at MMO-C in months, and I'm not disappointed.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

because blizz is at a point where they realized they don't need to pay designers for daily quests.

players seem to be willing to pay for mobile level click-and-wait bullshit. and you really don't need players to be actually in the game if they pay the monthly fee.

so they can cut back on server capacities too. win-win cost-wise!

It dont give you any power so who cares if it takes time to unlock, it was the same with order hall upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Because by your shill logics that don't fail to amaze us everyday when you post, the issue is not the development of just 36 hours of content, its the players fault for consuming that small amount of content fast. Hence you feel really smart saying inflating the time wasted for those actual 36 hours of content through every dumb f2p level of gating possible is somehow great design.
    Praise glorious company Blizzard!
    Well to be fair if Blizzard had actually just made everything available from day 1 in each xpac/patch, this site would be flooded with crybabies about having nothing to do. The very same people that most likely will do all of it, waiting for a timegate or not.

Personally, with my playstyle, i'd like them to remove timegating. Then again, my playstyle/playtime is a timegate of its own lol

Does it really matter?

Either they give you 1000 currency a day but then make the research take a few hours, or they give you 100 currency a day and make you wait a couple days between being able to do each research like they used to.

It's basically the same as always. And it makes virtually zero difference, people bitch about the weirdest things.

Quote Originally Posted by Athulua View Post
    I mean, why it's still a thing? The entire research tree from 9.2 has this nonsense.
    It costs currency to purchase this research up front which itself takes time to get.

Why on earth you need to wait an additional 1-6 days for this to complete? You paid the currency cost!
    The only games that do this shit are either mobile games or F2P mmo's where they have an opportunity to shell out a few extra euros from you to skip this waiting.

It's like idk, grinding gold for the brutosaurus in BFA, and instead of just receiving the mount upon clicking "buy" you need to wait an additional 7 days for this to be delivered to your mailbox. It's BULLSHIT!

Theres probably an argument to be made that this site would be flooded with crybabies saying "THERES NOTHING TO DO!!!!" after playing 9.2 for 50 hours in a week and completed everything.

The research times might be a little bit shite, but theres other things to do in the game besides this while waiting.

The most annoying timegating is when you have completed X/Y Achiv or whatever, then having to wait for Blizzard to turn it on ingame. Like they have done with flying a couple of times. Thats just shit.

Bear in mind 9.2 is probably going to last 10+ months so theres no reason to panic at all. If the cypcher is the only reason you want to play 9.2, then maybe you shouldnt sub at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Does it really matter?

Either they give you 1000 currency a day but then make the research take a few hours, or they give you 100 currency a day and make you wait a couple days between being able to do each research like they used to.

It's basically the same as always. And it makes virtually zero difference, people bitch about the weirdest things.
    Also theres a decent shot this patch will last 10+ months, so its not like everyone is in a hurry here.

The biggest issue with Wow - is that you can't even pay this few extra euros to skip this waiting, even if you would want to do it, because they still need to justify their sub fee.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

I am pretty sure, we had such timegating since WoD...

You're thinking about the covenant buildings? If not, that's what I am thinking about. And you are right, it's pure nonsense. Already spent time gathering all that anima - getting excited for a new building but wait, it will be done tomorrow. And full 24hrs too, not even 18hrs so I can get it when I log.
    An MMO should not employ idle game mechanics. If you want to drag it on for longer, make the currency grind harder, don't tell ppl to just wait.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Theres probably an argument to be made that this site would be flooded with crybabies saying "THERES NOTHING TO DO!!!!" after playing 9.2 for 50 hours in a week and completed everything.
    Why would this be a problem? If I could complete reputation grind inside of a week and would not need to touch it ever again, then I would be very happy. It would give me more time to do actual activities such as m+ or raiding or working on my alts.

Instead we are being forced to spend countless hours in small increments to work on the reputation. It is infuriating chore and contrary to what blizzard is thinking, this is not good game design.

So yeah, completing campaigns/reputations inside of a week would be much better system than what we have right now.

WoW been utilising Mobile methods to inflate the time spent in game, and login frequency, for a long while now...

The one thing I cannot stand is the people who nolife the heck out of a patch (when no timegating) and whine for weeks and months on the forums that there's nothing to do.
    Happens now as well, they try so hard to raid mythic, and not even 3-4 weeks in the guild went from prioritizing and benching to open up for almost everyone cause the tryhards left burned out.

I prefer no timegating, but it doesn't really hit me that much that there is timegating, as I can't play much anyway. Maybe the 20year old playerbase (now 35) has gotten married and this is the playerbase they have stats on and care about. For them, it can be seen as a relief maybe, to not need to take vacation days to be up to date and ready to raid.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

Well someone just watched the Preach stream lol yeah it’s a bit shit tbh - we spend time gathering stuff and yet the rewards are sometimes days away. Like I’m ok in general with waiting for stuff but yeah it shouldn’t be a few hours of grinding then waiting 6 days. Either they should reduce the cost or research time.

People will still sub - they won’t have cleared the raid or collected all the stuff by then or whatever else they sub to wow for

Quote Originally Posted by pennywise377 View Post
    Why would this be a problem? If I could complete reputation grind inside of a week and would not need to touch it ever again, then I would be very happy. It would give me more time to do actual activities such as m+ or raiding or working on my alts.
    How? You would need to spend say 100 hours in two weeks to finish the rep grind, or 100 hours over 100 days to finish it if it's timegated. That doesn't give you more time. It gives you the exact same amount of time.

I would *much* rather log in, do dailies for like 20 minutes a day, and then go do things I enjoy the rest of the day rather than being basically forced to spend 2 weeks hardcore grinding rep so I don't fall behind. Just look at TBC, there's literally nothing worse than doing the same dungeon 100 times in a week to get exalted with a faction, it's completely mind numbing.

I agree the campaigns probably shouldn't be time gated because it doesn't make much sense plus they only take like 5 hours anyway, but for all the rep grinds that take a significant amount of time it's infinitely better having them just be daily quests or rep turn-ins like in Korthia compared to the old TBC way of grinding dungeons nonstop for hours on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    You're probably right that this is the reason the devs do it.

It's also the reason why the game is in the state it is, design around the 5% of nolifers that would do this and not the majority of players that would get a better experience out of it if there was no researching.

Yeah i also don't like the click and wait system.
    I rather they make the ressource harder to get so it is spaced out. With this you have the ressources but don't get a reward for farming it.
    Or ot immediatly.

I don't mind having to work for stuff and it taking long. Timegating is not bad per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    How? You would need to spend say 100 hours in two weeks to finish the rep grind, or 100 hours over 100 days to finish it if it's timegated. That doesn't give you more time. It gives you the exact same amount of time.
    I think most young to middle aged adults will rather have a weekend or so of sporadic free time instead of logging on every single evening.