Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The 2022 Formula 1 World Championship Thread

Round, Grand Prix, Circuit, Date
    • 01 Bahrain Grand Prix, Bahrain Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, 20 March
    • 02 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, Saudi Arabia Jeddah Corniche Circuit,Jeddah, 27 March
    • 03 Australian Grand Prix, Australia Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne, 10April
    • 04 Emila Romagna Grand Prix, Italy Imola Circuit, Imola, 24 April
    • 05 Miami Grand Prix, United States Miami International Autodrome, Miami Gardens, Florida, 8 May
    • 06 Spanish Grand Prix, Spain Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona, 22 May
    • 07 Monaco Grand Prix, Monaco Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo, 29 May
    • 08 Azerbaijan Grand Prix, Azerbaijan Baku City Circuit, Baku, 12 June
    • 09 Canadian Grand Prix, Canada Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, 19 June
    • 10 British Grand Prix, United Kingdom Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone, 3 July
    • 11 Austrian Grand Prix, Austria Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, 24 July
    • 12 French Grand Prix, France,Circuit Paul Ricard, Le Castellet, 23 June
    • 13 German Grand Prix, Hungary Hungaroring, Budapest, 31 July
    • 14 Belgian Grand Prix, Belgium Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Stavelot, 28 August
    • 15 Dutch Grand Prix, The Netherlands Circuit Zandvoort, Zandvoort, 4 September
    • 16 Italian Grand Prix, Italy Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, 11 September
    • 17 Russian Grand Prix, Russia Sochi Autodrom, Sochi, 25 September
    • 18 Singapore Grand Prix, Singapore Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore, 2 October
    • 19 Japanese Grand Prix, Japan Suzuka International Racing Course, Suzuka, 9 October
    • 20 United States Grand Prix, United States Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas, 23 October
    • 21 Mexican Grand Prix, Mexico Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Mexico City, 30 October
    • 22 Brazilian Grand Prix, Brazil Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo, 13 November
    • 23 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, United Arab Emirates Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, 20 November

Teams:

Team: Scuderia Ferrari
    Constructor: Ferrari
    Chassis: F1-75
    Power Unit: Ferrari
    Drivers:
    • 55 Carlos Sainz Jr.
    • 16 Charles Leclerc

Team:Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant F1 Team
    Constructor: Aston martin-Mercedes
    Chassis: AMR22
    Power Unit: Mercedes
    Drivers:
    • 5 Sebastian Vettel
    • 18 Lance Stroll

Team:Uralkali Haas F1 Team
    Constructor: Haas-Ferrari
    Chassis: VF-22
    Drivers:
    • 9 Nikita Mazepin
    • 47 Mick Schumacher

Team:McLaren F1 team
    Constructor: McLaren-Mercedes
    Chassis: MCL36
    Drivers:
    • 4 Lando Norris
    • 3 Daniel Ricciardo

Team: Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team
    Constructor: Mercedes
    Chassis: W13
    Drivers:
    • 44 Lewis Hamilton
    • 63 George Russell

Team:Oracle Red Bull Racing
    Constructor: Red Bull Honda
    Chassis: RB18
    Power Unit: Red Bull Powertrains
    Drivers:
    • 11 Sergio Perez
    • 1 Max Verstappen

Team: BWT Alpine F1 team
    Constructor Alpine-Renault
    Chassis: A522
    Power Unit: Renault
    Drivers:
    • 14 Fernando Alonso
    • 31 Esteban Ocon

Team: Alfa Romeo Racing
    Constructor: Alfa Romeo-Ferrari
    Chassis: C42
    Drivers:
    • 77 Valtteri Bottas
    • 24 Guanyu Zhou

Team: Scuderia AlphaTauri
    Constructor: AlphaTauri-Honda
    Chassis: AT03
    Power Unit: Red Bull Powertrains
    Drivers:
    • 10 Pierre Gasly
    • 22 Yuki Tsunoda

Team: Williams Racing
    Constructor: Williams-Mercedes
    Chassis: FW44
    Drivers:
    • 6 Nicholas Latifi
    • 23 Alexander Albon
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2022-03-05 at 09:32 AM.

The start of a new era in Formula 1.

Let us hope we get awesome new Cars, tight fights and fair racing!

Really looking forward to this season, hopefully we get a lot more cars competing at the top of the grid.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new Ferrari F1-75 has been released and looks drop dead gorgeous.

Also the change to the race director role is really positive. For a summary of the changes see here.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    The differing design philosophies are interesting and way over my head. Hope Ricciardo gels with the McLaren better this season, so he can help Lando topple that dead sexy Ferrari.

Oh! And it'll be fun to see what Russell can do in a 'real' car.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

I really hope, that Max will be Michael 2.0. I.e. 2021 season was very similar to 1994 season. If everything would have gone, as it should have, Max would have won that season in advance due to having at least 20 more points. But almost everything was done to get this victory away from him. But at the end he was allowed to win. The same way, as it happened with Michael in 1994. Many people were skeptical about his performance and thought, that he had advantage due Benetton car being illegal. It's obvious, that judges could have found any formal reasons to take victory away from him. Such as applying "anti-sport behavior" rule and taking all his points away. But they allowed him to win. Same happened with Max. He deserved this victory and won. But now he has to prove, that he deserved it, and win next championship too.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I really hope, that Max will be Michael 2.0. I.e. 2021 season was very similar to 1994 season. If everything would have gone, as it should have, Max would have won that season in advance due to having at least 20 more points. But almost everything was done to get this victory away from him. But at the end he was allowed to win. The same way, as it happened with Michael in 1994. Many people were skeptical about his performance and thought, that he had advantage due Benetton car being illegal. It's obvious, that judges could have found any formal reasons to take victory away from him. Such as applying "anti-sport behavior" rule and taking all his points away. But they allowed him to win. Same happened with Max. He deserved this victory and won. But now he has to prove, that he deserved it, and win next championship too.
    Max isn't particularly special in this case. People acting like there was anything done to try to take victory away from him or he experienced such hardships are a little bias in that regard. They almost certainly didn't watch the last race, or the Belgium Grand Prix (what little there was to watch).

And nothing against Max here (deserved to win)--just that both of the drivers competing for the title had their share of 'bad luck' so-to-speak. Most close seasons amount to a bunch of "what ifs" where you can pick and choose moments that didn't go in someone's favor and create a fictitious hypothetical result. Things went how they went--period.

But agree that this will be a good test for him to see if still has that hunger to go after another (as we know how great he is at driving). Granted, with the new regulations it'll be a little wishy-washy to sort it out for a bit. And on that note--first day of testing in the books! And the results will likely be a predictor of...absolutely nothing
    Last edited by Espo; 2022-02-23 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    Max isn't particularly special in this case. People acting like there was anything done to try to take victory away from him or he experienced such hardships are a little bias in that regard. They almost certainly didn't watch the last race, or the Belgium Grand Prix (what little there was to watch).

And nothing against Max here (deserved to win)--just that both of the drivers competing for the title had their share of 'bad luck' so-to-speak. Most close seasons amount to a bunch of "what ifs" where you can pick and choose moments that didn't go in someone's favor and create a fictitious hypothetical result. Things went how they went--period.

But agree that this will be a good test for him to see if still has that hunger to go after another (as we know how great he is at driving). Granted, with the new regulations it'll be a little wishy-washy to sort it out for a bit. And on that note--first day of testing in the books! And the results will likely be a predictor of...absolutely nothing
    I know, that according to rules Lewis did nothing wrong. But there is problem. Everybody talks about prejudiced judges, but nobody talks about "violating rules is more profitable, than following them, because penalties don't compensate advantage from doing it". Do you understand, that budget limitation is still here? Have anybody counted, how many times engines were swapped on Mercedes cars to achieve power advantage at the end of season? How many modifications were applied to their cars? Did they stay within budget limits or violated them?

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

I know, that according to rules Lewis did nothing wrong. But there is problem. Everybody talks about prejudiced judges, but nobody talks about "violating rules is more profitable, than following them, because penalties don't compensate advantage from doing it". Do you understand, that budget limitation is still here? Have anybody counted, how many times engines were swapped on Mercedes cars to achieve power advantage at the end of season? How many modifications were applied to their cars? Did they stay within budget limits or violated them?
    There is a budget cap within the sport now--for every team. Granted, certain things aren't covered (new PUs being one that is not covered, I believe)--but I wouldn't consider Red Bull to be some David to Mercedes' Goliath with respect to the money side of things now that the larger budget has a cap. More holistically speaking on engine penalties though--I agree that one is in a weird spot (5 places may not be enough on your 2nd/3rd, etc).

Specifically to your question: Yes, they did count how many times Lewis swapped. He took 1 more engine than Verstappen did. They both took a penalty in Turkey, and Lewis took an additional penalty in Brazil. And Red Bull had expressed a willingness to take another if they felt it would help (their engine degradation is apparently not as bad). Bottas took quite a bit, but teammates cannot swap engines (without it counting), so that isn't an extra engine for Lewis. Basically--you can't harvest another teammates car for parts without it counting as taking on new parts (but you can learn things from the other car--so not to discount that).

They also track how many modifications and parts were used on each car. All parts are meticulously tracked and most have 'seals' placed on them by the FIA that are broken upon first use

They did not violate budget caps because...the FIA said they didn't. I'm not going to tinfoil hat this one and assume everything is a conspiracy (I can make things up about every team in this regard).
    Last edited by Espo; 2022-02-24 at 03:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can scratch race 17 off the calendar.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    We can scratch race 17 off the calendar.
    I don't have to add a Russian GP in the foreseeable future. Contract terminated which means also no race in St Petersburg next year.

Verstappen renewed his contract till 2028, for a very low salary of 50 million a year.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    If Fitalpaldi gets the seat(for race 1 at least) we will have officially moved back to 1994.

10+ Year Old Account
    KMag's return is almost as surprising as Merc's new side pods.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    KMag's return is almost as surprising as Merc's new side pods.
    Ehhh, and I hoped, that it would be Piasri. F1 is strange thing. Sometimes it's not enough to be F2 champion in order to get to F1. It's the same thing, that happened with Hill, who was mediocre driver in junior championships, but became F1 champion then. Sad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehhh, and I hoped, that it would be Piasri. F1 is strange thing. Sometimes it's not enough to be F2 champion in order to get to F1. It's the same thing, that happened with Hill, who was mediocre driver in junior championships, but became F1 champion then. Sad thing.
    Nyck de Vries is also a F2 champion who didn't go to F1. Verstappen never drove a F2 car.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Nyck de Vries is also a F2 champion who didn't go to F1. Verstappen never drove a F2 car.
    That's, what I tried to say. Sponsors >> talent.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's, what I tried to say. Sponsors >> talent.
    Except Verstappen never had really huge sponsors. His main one is a solely Dutch supermarket.

But the owner of the Dutch supermarket is a really big racing fan, who races in LeMans 24h. So maybe he spent a bit more that what would be normal to see a Dutch racing driver in a winning seat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maell View Post
    But the owner of the Dutch supermarket is a really big racing fan, who races in LeMans 24h. So maybe he spent a bit more that what would be normal to see a Dutch racing driver in a winning seat.
    Still shouldn't be as much as Santander, Uralkali, to name a few shall bring. There is a reason why Jumbo is only featured very small on Verstappen's helmet.