Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The eagles have the 28th rushing defense, the 49ers have the 7th rushing offense and where playing with some pretty bad RBs after the Mitchell injury before they traded for CMC so that should be even higher. The eagles pass defense and pass rush in particular is as good as it gets but it won't matter if the 49ers can just run down their throat. The 49ers defense on the other hand doesn't have a glaring weakness like that and is the best overall, especially against the run.

If the 49ers get down early and have to pass their way into the game they will lose but if the game is played on their terms with running game and playaction I don't think it ends pretty for philly.
    I actually think Philly's offense matches up pretty well with the 49er's defense. They have a dominant offensive line and will probably be able to run directly at Bosa to slow him down as a pass rusher, which is going to open things up in the passing game. Philly might be a run-first team, but they are also fully capable in the passing game, and Hurts does a really good job of taking care of the football. I think the 49ers will struggle against a team as balanced offensively as Philly is.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I think the issue there is not wanting to be stuck with Wilson, and George Paton has been an awful GM. The salary cap is kind of iffy too because of those bad contracts Paton gave out. They have a draft pick in every round except the 2nd this year, and all of their picks the drafts after.
    I wouldn't want anything to do with Denver either. Salaray Cap is not great, though the Saints mastered the cap year after year so I'm sure they could work around it if he learned some of their tricks. The problem with Denver is that yes they DO have a 1st rounder, but it is so late it will be close to a 2nd round, meaning it isn't that valuable for finding a QB (usually). I thought they were lacking some other picks here and there (but had made trades to gain other picks so maybe it is evened out).

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    People always act like the cap is so complicated to figure out and that you have these geniuses pulling tricks, but it's really not.
    I know isn't rocket science however some things the Saints did I don't believe other teams were doing. For example Taysom Hill had years on the contract that voided after the next year started so the deal shortened itself but it was done in a way to spread out the cap hit as if the deal was longer than it really was. I have not seen other teams do the phantom year gimmick that I'm aware of. That feels like a weird loophole they have used a few times now.

Also that 'kicking the can down the road' analogy does not work if they kicked it down the road for a good 6 years or so. It is NEVER coming due as you say. It was coming due 3 years ago. No it was coming due after Brees retired (it wasn't due then either). It's not due next year either.

Also some of the owners are cheap, even if the player does not get all of the money up front from what I understand that the money still must be earmarked and is put into an escrow account. So if a team is handing out loads of guarantees that money still must be set aside with the league.

An example is that stupid Watson deal the Browns did, they have to put 169 million in an escrow account by the end of March this year. Some teams like the Cardinals and Raiders prolly couldn't do that, or at least not multiple times.
    Last edited by Kyanion; 2023-01-26 at 04:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be interesting if someone went over the cap in the current CBA. Hasn't happened in a while (2010 iirc) and that season didn't even have a real cap set due to the lockout and new (at the time) CBA.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    They have that problem right now with Michael Thomas. Now, if they draft right, they can still be successful despite all the cap problems, but it doesn't mean that it was all free. They can also unroll the snowball slowly instead of all at once. But they're not ok right now.
    Well they did tweak Thomas deal a month or so ago, but not sure what that will end up meaning yet. But sure they will have some big contracts and dead money coming but they can push it back further. They only got burned because of covid lowering the salary cap the following year otherwise it’d not have had that bump in the road.

Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    I actually think Philly's offense matches up pretty well with the 49er's defense. They have a dominant offensive line and will probably be able to run directly at Bosa to slow him down as a pass rusher, which is going to open things up in the passing game. Philly might be a run-first team, but they are also fully capable in the passing game, and Hurts does a really good job of taking care of the football. I think the 49ers will struggle against a team as balanced offensively as Philly is.
    Running at Nick Bosa sounds absolutely stupid since he has a top 10 rush D grade for an edge on PFF and Omenihu on the other side isn't even in the top 50. Dallas was having success with Pollard running AWAY from Nick Bosa. Then ofc he got injured and they where stuck with fat, old, slow Zeke who doesn't matter where he runs it's not going very far.

Like yea, sometimes you have to break tendency and run it at Bosa but it's not going to be something you game plan around.

Philly offense overall will get theres, not overly so. Game comes down to if the 49ers offense have to deal with the Philly pass rush on 3rd and longs often and if they do they will lose. Purdy ain't ready for that smoke. But if Shanahan is able to run it down the 28th ranked rush defense they aren't going to be able to out score Shanahan.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-01-26 at 07:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Also that 'kicking the can down the road' analogy does not work if they kicked it down the road for a good 6 years or so. It is NEVER coming due as you say. It was coming due 3 years ago. No it was coming due after Brees retired (it wasn't due then either). It's not due next year either.
    Same as rams. Those guys find a way to keep it rolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Same as rams. Those guys find a way to keep it rolling.
    At the end of the day, the Salary Cap is fake until it isn't. They can kick the can down the road indefinitely until some player finally says "No I'm not taking the restructured deal."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    At the end of the day, the Salary Cap is fake until it isn't. They can kick the can down the road indefinitely until some player finally says "No I'm not taking the restructured deal."
    Yeah but that's not likely to happen since the restructure of a deal usually gives the player money up front to spread out cap hits.

The vast majority of players can't say no to their deal being restructured. Also, as others stated the deals help them get their money sooner so it would be idiotic for a player to try and stop it. The cap is very much real, anyone thinking the Saints aren’t paying their dues now aren’t paying attention.

Jets are supposedly hiring Hackett as their OC. Their turn to try to get Rodgers and fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    The cap is very much real, anyone thinking the Saints aren’t paying their dues now aren’t paying attention.
    The only thing that slowed the Saints down was the covid year lowering the cap. The cap usually goes up every year and the Saints plan for it and backload deals to spread out as the cap increases. The only 'dues paying' the Saints are doing right now is not having a good QB and I could argue they have the wrong coach. Those two being major issues is the main problem, not the cap. Saints went after Watson, ask yourself, how were they going to fit him in while they are paying 'their dues'? Because they know how to squeeze every advantage out of the cap rules, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm seeing the void years showing up more often now, Tom Brady's contract looks a lot like Brees' did at the end of his career. Dak and Cousins also have void years. There are more at other positions though it isn't yet the norm, it only works on shorter term extensions since signing bonuses can only be spread over five years, so it usually happens as part of a restructure.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    The Dominos are falling, Frank Reich to the Panthers.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1618689239012491264

- - - Updated - - -

And now Dan Quinn is staying in Dallas. https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...28779798683652

Apologies to Broncos fans but you might be the next Texans.

Apologies to Broncos fans but you might be the next Texans.
    Not sure anyone wanted Dan Quinn and I don't want Sean Payton. DeMeco Ryans is who I wanted if Harbaugh stayed at Michigan (which I expected to happen) and I guess Jim Caldwell would be the next option if he actually wants to be a HC again. The HC probably won't matter as long as George Paton is GM and Russell Wilson is there.

I don't think Frank Reich was ever an option for anyone but the Panthers either. His daughter works for them and I think he has another one that lives in Charlotte. Seems like one of those openings that wouldn't have even had interviews if it wasn't for the very stupid Rooney Rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I don't think Frank Reich was ever an option for anyone but the Panthers either. His daughter works for them and I think he has another one that lives in Charlotte. Seems like one of those openings that wouldn't have even had interviews if it wasn't for the very stupid Rooney Rule.
    I mean you already got Wilks lawyers crowing about it.

Wilks has really been given the shaft, fired after one year in Arizona after his OC was fired mid-season and his QB was Josh Rosen who didn't even look that bad but was a rookie, and then turns around a Carolina team after another shitty college coach with a big contract fails, only to be replaced. And replaced by Reich, who strikes me as a replacement level hire at best and not some game-changer.

I love Frank Reich, he'll always be one of my most cherished Buffalo Bills, but I don't know that he's a good coach. His success in Philly seems to be due to the talent of the people directly above and below him, Pedersen and John DeFillippo. And it seems all the success he had in Indy was because of Sirianni.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Wilks has really been given the shaft
    Hard to really argue it, he got a raw deal in Arizona and the Panthers improved after they traded away 2 players and fired their coach. I thought he deserved the job but obv that isn't happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Wilks just can't find a break. Guys probably going to find another DC job, though.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Could still have Bengals Niners part III
    Can we get that? Then have the Bengals come back from being 30-0 down?