Page 92 of 142 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I don't know that the NFL would consider this, but week 17 is Championship week for fantasy football, which has a very very LOT of money involved and helps fuel the popularity of the NFL. On top of that, this game was vital to fantasy football considering the teams involved.

They may not like it, but fantasy football considerations are something that has to be kept in mind when they decide what to do, and just giving each team a tie would not address that concern at all.
    I didn't think there was a way for me to care less but you found it.
    /s

I can't even work today. In May Buffalo had a white supremacist shoot up a black grocery store killing 10 people, last weekend we had 40 people die in a blizzard, and last night we had one of our players have a heart attack and literally needed to be resuscitated on the field. It's been a weird fucking season.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Heartbeat back to normal obviously good, but the scary part is the "not breathing on his own" news. This could mean brain damage, but again, too early to say and I'm not a medical expert so I'll avoid speculating further.
    That may just mean he's under the protocol used for potential anoxic brain injury, where the patient is sedated, intubated, and the body temperature reduced to allow marginally damaged parts of the brain to recover somewhat.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I can't even work today. In May Buffalo had a white supremacist shoot up a black grocery store killing 10 people, last weekend we had 40 people die in a blizzard, and last night we had one of our players have a heart attack and literally needed to be resuscitated on the field. It's been a weird fucking season.
    Shit just hits different man.

I didn't actually fall asleep until 3 AM this morning. I've tried but I just can't muster the will to care about doing anything today.

Work? Nah. WoW keys? Nah.

The only thing i've managed to actually do today is arranged my first doctor's physical since I was 17 playing HS sports (i'm 30) and call all my family and friends to see how they're doing.

I'm a fucking husk of myself bro and I can't even explain why this shit hits so different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I don't know that the NFL would consider this, but week 17 is Championship week for fantasy football, which has a very very LOT of money involved and helps fuel the popularity of the NFL. On top of that, this game was vital to fantasy football considering the teams involved.

They may not like it, but fantasy football considerations are something that has to be kept in mind when they decide what to do, and just giving each team a tie would not address that concern at all.
    Gambling comes in inherent risks. Just tell those stakeholders to hold whatever L comes with whatever they decide to do.

yeah honestly if you (general you, not specific) are more concerned about the money to be earned/lost via gambling or fantasy over a player having a heart attack on the field, your priorities are out of whack and you may have a gambling problem if the results put you in financial straits.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah honestly if you (general you, not specific) are more concerned about the money to be earned/lost via gambling or fantasy over a player having a heart attack on the field, your priorities are out of whack and you may have a gambling problem if the results put you in financial straits.
    Agreed. Human Life is much more important than 20 bucks on your Fantasy League
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Anyone worried about their fantasy leagues over this should probably stop playing fantasy football as they obviously have an unhealthy obsession with it.

So all 32 teams have changed their avi's on Twitter to the #3 and Bills colors, and frankly that worries me. The cynic in me feels like they know the news is bad and they're putting a show of unity on before the news is released. I hope I'm wrong and they're just being super supportive, but no one has said anything about Hamlin's medical condition.

10+ Year Old Account
    So all 32 teams have changed their avi's on Twitter to the #3 and Bills colors, and frankly that worries me. The cynic in me feels like they know the news is bad and they're putting a show of unity on before the news is released. I hope I'm wrong and they're just being super supportive, but no one has said anything about Hamlin's medical condition.
    If he;s undergoing the typical protocol for cardiacx arrents, he'll probably be sedated for another day. Apparantly cooling the body down allows for easier healing / lesss likely of something bad happening

10+ Year Old Account
    no one has said anything about Hamlin's medical condition.
    Yeah, this is the part I don;t like at all. We're coming up on 24 hours since it happened and there's been NO news beyond what we already knew. That doesn;t instill confidence in his well being, cause the NFL is usually quick with finding out and publishing good news about hurt players. (NFL community in general, not league office I mean)

It may be that they are just respecting the privacy or the family is tight lipped, but I'm getting the sinking feeling that this might not end well.

It was a GoFundMe Damar set up himself. The goal was $2500 to purchase toys for kids for Christmas. Like you noted, he was a 6th round draft pick on a rookie contract (only in his second year), so he probably doesn't have his own foundation set up or anything.
    He has made about 1.6 million so far. I'm not sure what the conditions of the contract were/are. The NFL should pay him the full amount of the current contract and take care of the medical bills IMHO. They can afford it.

So the latest update is Hamlin is on 50% oxygen after being on 100% oxygen yesterday (IE breathing via machine), so that's encouraging. They had to resuscitate Hamlin a second time once he got to the hospital. They're worried about lung damage. This is all via an uncle who spoke to reporters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not even a big fan of the Bills, but I had a hard time sleeping last night after seeing that. Logged onto WoW late last night, did a lap around Valdrakken and logged. Can't imagine living in Buffalo and going through all that the past year, and now this.

Most news I see is pretty positive, but its very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Problem is I don't see how they can at this point. If this were a month ago, sure. But I doubt they want to parade them out Thursday night and then again 3 days later for Week 18.

And they can't delay the Playoffs a week to fit this game in as a "Week 19" because they've kinda got things booked for the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl already.
    I could see them canceling the pro bowl and pushing everything except the super bowl out a week. There wouldn't be a gap week between the conference championships and super bowl, but that gap week is relatively new anyways. This is an unprecedented situation for the league and it's going to require an unprecedented response. The league should come up with possibilities, but the players/teams should make the decision of what to do IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    I could see them canceling the pro bowl and pushing everything except the super bowl out a week. There wouldn't be a gap week between the conference championships and super bowl, but that gap week is relatively new anyways. This is an unprecedented situation for the league and it's going to require an unprecedented response. The league should come up with possibilities, but the players/teams should make the decision of what to do IMO.
    It really is a tough choice to make because this game has so much impact on playoff standings. Pushing everything back a week would also be unfair as it gives other teams a week of rest but the Bengals/Bills wouldn't get that. The fact that there is nothing in the rules to cover a situation like this is an oversight they'll correct in the future at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    It really is a tough choice to make because this game has so much impact on playoff standings. Pushing everything back a week would also be unfair as it gives other teams a week of rest but the Bengals/Bills wouldn't get that. The fact that there is nothing in the rules to cover a situation like this is an oversight they'll correct in the future at least.
    Technically the Bills and Bengals have already had a week of rest, as they were still in the first quarter of their game. It's an exceptionally minor argument to make and you could easily make the argument that after what happened, the post incident mental health of both teams would negate any benefits of rest from not playing a full sixty minutes.

Physically though, they should be as fresh as anyone else.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I don't see there being a good decision here at all. It would be a tough decision even if the game had no playoff impact because of the money involved. With the addition of playoff, it is even harder.

Yeah, I know a player's health/life is more important, but the NFL is still a business and has made terrible decision in the past because of money. Their concussion protocol this season has been proven to be a joke given everything with Tua this season.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    About the best solution I've seen is from PFT. Have the Bengals Bills game + NFC WC played in week 19 with the AFC WC pool on bye, then AFC WC + NFC bye week 20. I don't see the NFL pushing everything back just to feature one game in a week. Not sure about the pro bowl either. I say move the damn thing behind the super bowl where it should be, but then you screw up the whole media buildup around the super bowl condensing it into one week... Which the NFL would not be okay with. I personally don't care lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah PFT just posted that now the NFL is likely to cancel the game and go off winning percentage in the AFC. Its gonna screw over Buffalo if they win out.

It shouldn't surprise me that there are fans on the Bills message board who think Buffalo won't or shouldn't play against the Patriots this weekend. They seem to live in a fantasy world where a corporate juggernaut like the NFL will just close up shop for the year.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .