Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    From your link. Absolute fuckin lol. Imagine losing the most important users for the companies monetization efforts. Elon's gonna be left with a social media platform with a few million boring users and tens of millions of bots at this rate, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    From your link. Absolute fuckin lol. Imagine losing the most important users for the companies monetization efforts. Elon's gonna be left with a social media platform with a few million boring users and tens of millions of bots at this rate, lol.
    I'm sure Devin Nunes will be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm sure Devin Nunes will be pleased.
    He gave up a cushy House job in a safe district to go work at a soon-to-fail social media company whose merger is continuing to fall through in real time.

Speaking of, wasn't Trump supposed to be let out of Twitter jail on Monday? I haven't seen anything about that, but the second that happens Truth Social is fuckin deadzo and users will probably move back to Twitter. Because really, Trump was the only draw on that platform, and I don't for one second think he'll waste time there when he has a far larger "audience" (mostly of bots) on Twitter.

Though I somehow doubt the users returning from Truth Social to Twitter will be very valuable in terms of monetization, and that the users Twitter is losing, specifically the power-users that do a lot of the heavy lifting of creating content for and keeping people engaged and monetizable on Twitter, are leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Author Stephen King chimes in on him paying a fee for Twitter check mark/verification.

$20 a month to keep my blue check? Fuck that, they should pay me. If that gets instituted, I’m gone like Enron.

Then we have the great Elon Musk reply:

We need to pay the bills somehow! Twitter cannot rely entirely on advertisers. How about $8?

Hmm? Let's check that letter posted once more time Elon posted to advertisers.

Right here Elon is claiming he purchased Twitter for some virtuous ide of a "digital town square". Laughably saying media is bad cause they believe that's what brings in the money. I can agree here about media and for profit or money over news.

So he didn't realize that maybe that was the problem with Twitter before you bought it. First Twitter as many have stated was almost impossible to generate profit or say break even. If Elon want to nickel and dime people with verification fee and whatever else than he by his own statement is not creating a place where people can gather for a digital town square.

This guy is an effin idiiot.

Edit: After reading Elon's timeline I might be way wrong on this. His stans and whoever might be dumb enough to pay the fee giving him millions in fees.
    Imagine charging the people that provide you with the content people want to see.

i heard NBC is going to charge the NFL 10 million dollars a game to air them next..... /s

- - - Updated - - -

god i wish this company wasn't private now, i could have made a killing on puts.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Imagine charging the people that provide you with the content people want to see.
    It's the silliest fucking thing. Those users are not Twitter's clients/customers. They are the assets you're actually using to sell to your real clients. Making your assets pay for the privilege of being assets would be a fantastic idea for the capitalist, but I'm pretty sure most users aren't going to be so fucking stupid as to fall for that shit.

Here's hoping Dorsey gets Bluesky up and running ASAP because it would be chefs-kiss perfect if he bailed on Twitter just to create the app that'll kill it. Which, hilariously, as a decentralized protocol, is gonna be way closer to a "public square" than Twitter ever could be.

I couldn't care less about social media, the above hopes are less that I'm gung ho on Bluesky and more that I want Musk's hubris to crush his inflated ego.

You will also get:
    - Priority in replies, mentions & search, which is essential to defeat spam/scam
    - Ability to post long video & audio
    - Half as many ads

Elon just posted this. Is he throwing darts at a board?

Priority in replies, mentions, etc. So you are paying to be boosted over a person who won't pay. That's free speech.

Post long vid and audio. Umm, the trend now where most Tik Toks are less than a minute. Shit is getting shorter not longer.

Ads!?!?!?!!? Ads!?!? Half as many? So you don't even get ad free and are you talking about ad spam you want to implement. Honestly ads have never clogged up my timeline that bad so far.

Elon Musk is now suggesting $8 per month to keep verified accounts. Many verified accounts are government officials meaning Twitter will be subsidized by state, local and federal governments with this plan?

Ooh I like this question.

So you would say here that government agencies and officials would be excluded. Does the head of EPA get verified, but lets say some orange guy is an office and doesn't recognize that office as part of the government just to spite Twitter verification. I mean nobody would be that petty.

More Elon.

Twitter’s current lords & peasants system for who has or doesn’t have a blue checkmark is bullshit.

Power to the people! Blue for $8/month.

So paying money for something is helping the peasants. Once effin more the rich or so called blue check marks right now are not bitching about the cost. This dumb mother effer.

This will also give Twitter a revenue stream to reward content creators

Wait I posted and twice in you letter you said "It's not about the money". If you get all 400k at $8/month is $48 million/year. That is pennies.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2022-11-01 at 06:25 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have used twitter twice. Both times it was to get free things in games.

I recall a while back, I don't recall the game though, where there were updates and information that my friends were telling me. Turns out, rather than the companies website, their important updates were on Twitter.

If twitter goes down hill, I hope that practice will stop as well.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Half as many ads, eh? I mean, even if I did use Twitter enough to justify that checkmark; I'd want it completely ad free if I am paying for it. If I wanted to pay for a service that still gives you ads even if you are paying a monthly bill, I'd sub to Hulu or Paramount+.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    You will also get:
    - Priority in replies, mentions & search, which is essential to defeat spam/scam
    - Ability to post long video & audio
    - Half as many ads

Elon just posted this. Is he throwing darts at a board?

Priority in replies, mentions, etc. So you are paying to be boosted over a person who won't pay. That's free speech.

Post long vid and audio. Umm, the trend now where most Tik Toks are less than a minute. Shit is getting shorter not longer.

Ads!?!?!?!!? Ads!?!? Half as many? So you don't even get ad free and are you talking about ad spam you want to implement. Honestly ads have never clogged up my timeline that bad so far.

Elon Musk is now suggesting $8 per month to keep verified accounts. Many verified accounts are government officials meaning Twitter will be subsidized by state, local and federal governments with this plan?

Ooh I like this question.

So you would say here that government agencies and officials would be excluded. Does the head of EPA get verified, but lets say some orange guy is an office and doesn't recognize that office as part of the government just to spite Twitter verification. I mean nobody would be that pett.
    Government agencies already pay for a bunch of benefits that are for communication stuff. When your local authority says something on the radio that is paid by taxes. Its not a novel concept

That being said kinda greedy from Musk if you ask me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This would all be a lot more hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

The man is so fuckin desperate for attention he'll spend $44B buying a social media company just to publicly brainstorm his business plan and crowdsource ideas, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Government agencies already pay for a bunch of benefits that are for communication stuff. When your local authority says something on the radio that is paid by taxes. Its not a novel concept
    What benefits? What do they pay? What communication stuff?

Are we talking about like, the emergency broadcast system or something?

isnt the main problem that users are also the product. If you are posting on that website you are the content. They should be paying people who post not the other way around.

Elons gonna lose alot of money on this shit and hes very badly leveraged.

Also mmo-c should pay me for my gr8 posts.

This would all be a lot more hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

The man is so fuckin desperate for attention he'll spend $44B buying a social media company just to publicly brainstorm his business plan and crowdsource ideas, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

What benefits? What do they pay? What communication stuff?

Are we talking about like, the emergency broadcast system or something?
    Campaigns. Like telling the people to vaccinate or something like that. It doesn't have to be radio either, printouts, spots on tv and so on. There is no reason why social media ought to be different when that's what they do anyways

Its super greedy from Musk if you ask me but whatever

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    isnt the main problem that users are also the product. If you are posting on that website you are the content. They should be paying people who post not the other way around.
    The users post on twitter because they like it so its kind of symbiotic? If you like it that much you can pay for it too, more so for people that are blue checked that I assume liked it enough to go through the process of verification.

Elons gonna lose alot of money on this shit and hes very badly leveraged.
    If Twitter defaults on payments its going to be super funny. What are the banks going to do with a social media company that couldnt pay its debts?

defeats the point as well. I thought a checkmark was for someone who was legit, like a real person or a real business. If any cunt can just buy one thats gone.

Campaigns. Like telling the people to vaccinate or something like that.
    Yes, they pay for airtime on private radio stations like everyone else. I'm not sure what relevance this has, though? Those are "benefits", that's literally buying ad time like any other company advertising a product.

There is no reason why social media ought to be different when that's what they do anyways
    It's not any different. Already. The US government can and does make ad-buys to promote things like vaccination rollout programs, and they can also work with private companies to get this information promoted free of charge, as well.

No, it's just stupid with no real value-add, even with the latest "perks". I still think this is all just a big joke to him since he doesn't seem to be taking running Twitter any more seriously than he did offering $54.20 per share to troll the SEC while thinking he'd win the game of chicken with Twitter. (he lost that game)

If Twitter defaults on payments its going to be super funny. What are the banks going to do with a social media company that couldnt pay its debts?
    wont it cause a one man bank run on tesla?

He has to sell his shares to cover the debt + shares to cover the tax, it will be a firesale?

also vaguely funny that the richest man in the worlds innovation is landlording.
    Last edited by jonnysensible; 2022-11-01 at 06:40 PM.

That being said kinda greedy from Musk if you ask me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WTF are you talking about? Paying for communication.

Edit: Alright you answered paying for COVID vaccinations. You do understand that was for a health crisis. We are talking about day to day posting. Not something of a health crisis or what not.

Musk has suggested about charging the government but not how. So once again that is not free speech. Charging a government agency to give us information and service, which I admit is a great thing that was great about Twitter, and now charging them is classic. First from an asshole like every asshole who bitches where his tax money goes but guess what? Your tax money is now paying for Elon. Classic!
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2022-11-01 at 06:53 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...f-us-midterms/

A few months ago, Twitter promised to take its role in preserving election integrity seriously, saying that “[p]eople deserve to trust the election conversations and content they encounter on Twitter.” Now, in the middle of Brazil’s presidential election and just ahead of the US midterms, the majority of Twitter staff who would be responsible for moderating content to help maintain election integrity reportedly don’t have access to the tools they need to do that.

Twitter’s head of safety and integrity, Yoel Roth, tweeted that there’s nothing unusual about Twitter’s decision. The company is simply restricting access to prevent employees from making any changes to the software code during the transition, he wrote.

“This is exactly what we (or any company) should be doing in the midst of a corporate transition to reduce opportunities for insider risk,” Roth tweeted. “We’re still enforcing our rules at scale.”

According to Bloomberg News, Twitter has significantly cut back on its content moderation staff approved to access a dashboard that logs automated and user-flagged content that requires human review before content is restricted. Ordinarily, hundreds of employees would be using the dashboard, reviewing content to manually enforce actions dictated by Twitter policy, such as banning or restricting accounts. Since last week, two Twitter safety team insiders told Bloomberg that the total number had been reduced to about 15 employees.
    Twitter's gonna be a field day for misinformation, scams, and illegal content. Who could have ever predicted this, lol.

It would be funnier if the platform about a little blue bird was just an idle curiosity and not something that has real world consequences when misinformation is spread. And spread by the Chief Twit himself. Repeatedly.

Lol, genius businessman doesn't understand what exactly is the product and the purpose of a 'checkmark'.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...f-us-midterms/

Twitter's gonna be a field day for misinformation, scams, and illegal content. Who could have ever predicted this, lol.

It would be funnier if the platform about a little blue bird was just an idle curiosity and not something that has real world consequences when misinformation is spread. And spread by the Chief Twit himself. Repeatedly.
    So you mean gutting a workforce blindly without understanding what they do is a bad idea? who woulda thunk it's almost like Elon Musk doesn't know how to run businesses but is just a venture capitalist.