Poll: Do you like the Drac'thyr Evoker?

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Well I was responding to a prediction from another poster, then you decided to jump in and support the bizarre opinion that this class is going to flop for some rather frivolous reasons.

Again, anyone thinking this class is “guaranteed to flop” simply hasn’t been paying attention.
    I addressed the "flop" with my original reply I am in agreement with you that they were wrong too. We don't know either way for certain and also I'm not discounting the effect that Rule of Cool has on the popularity of a subject. I understand what you mean by it feeling sort of guaranteed because we know most people like dragons just like most people like Illidan.

Only reason I replied the way I did is because I get somewhat incensed by what I perceive to be the beginnings of pointless arguments in my threads, often times causing them to get derailed. Which of course I understand the irony of considering I'm involved in a derailing conversation right now! Kek
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2022-04-28 at 11:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gotta say, the idea that a Drakonid race and a pedestrian multiracial Dragonsworn class would be a superior option to what we're getting, is pretty ridiculous. Blizzard is allowing the player to be a dragon and have the powers of the 5 dragonflights. Given that this is an evergreen feature, this concept can only grow and improve over time.

Wrathion is easily one of the top 5 lore characters in modern WoW. The idea that a class largely based around characters like him wouldn't be a home run is really a wild take that I can't wrap my mind around.

Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    Honestly, watching this poll go makes me feel pretty confident Blizzard is making the right decision sticking to their guns with this.

The WoW community is unpleasable, this is a fact of life, people will whine about anything and pass off opinions as fact, so the fact this poll is close to 200 votes in and dead even tells me there's enough positivity to cancel out a lot of the bad faith folks who will complain to complain.
    I'm in total agreement here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gotta say, the idea that a Drakonid race and a pedestrian multiracial Dragonsworn class would be a superior option to what we're getting, is pretty ridiculous. Blizzard is allowing the player to be a dragon and have the powers of the 5 dragonflights. Given that this is an evergreen feature, this concept can only grow and improve over time.

Wrathion is easily one of the top 5 lore characters in modern WoW. The idea that a class largely based around characters like him wouldn't be a home run is really a wild take that I can't wrap my mind around.

I'm in total agreement here.
    Agree entirely. I even like the fact that they keep hinting at it might not always be a 2 spec class. Though honestly, we do not need anymore melee or tanks in game. I already find it difficult to get more than one range dps for M+ if i am being picky. I think them being Range and Heal is the best move, because it will likely cutback some of the FOTM rerollers who normally play melee (see DK\Monk\DH). And them being mail is huge. Yeah the dragon form is a bit weird, but i am going to hold back full judgement until we get to see all the options.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

I'd rather the visage be unlocked mid expansion, at which point the race opens up to a few other classes as well. I'm sure the starter experience will explain it all and my critique will make no sense then.

Happy with the decision of evoker as next class, wow needs more conal/space taking abilities, I'm looking forward to seeing what other classes receive to balance out the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    I'd rather the visage be unlocked mid expansion, at which point the race opens up to a few other classes as well. I'm sure the starter experience will explain it all and my critique will make no sense then.

Happy with the decision of evoker as next class, wow needs more conal/space taking abilities, I'm looking forward to seeing what other classes receive to balance out the game.
    Don’t want to spoil anything (not that there’s much to spoil) but I think they lightly touched on the dracthyr starter zone quests and they mention that you learn your visage form through that in a story based quest line explaining the dracthyrs life etc

Like the idea but not the choice of having it be only a caster and healer. It deserves a melee and tank spec as well.

Wrathion

You

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they really look stupid so it kinds of make them unattractive to play

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Wrathion

You
    Also Wrathion via official Blizzard artwork (notice the Drachtyr-like appearance in Dragon form);

Anyway, the point is to make you a playable dragon, give you the draconic abilities and the powers of the 5 dragonflights, and allow you to take a Visage form.

Dracthyr Evokers does all of those things.

I posted canon ingame model while you posted some hearthstone art lol.. Wrathion doesnt look anything like 2nd and 3rd picture. There are a lot of inconsistencies in Hearthstone i wouldnt take it seriously. There are a lot of mistakes, for example Malygos card clearly shows Kalecgos.
    Last edited by Andromedes; 2022-04-28 at 01:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I posted canon ingame model while you posted some hearthstone art lol.. Wrathion doesnt look anything like 2nd and 3rd picture. There are a lot of inconsistencies in Hearthstone i wouldnt take it seriously. There are a lot of mistakes, for example Malygos card clearly shows Kalecgos.
    We're getting the League of Explorers in Dragon Isles, a concept that started in Hearthstone. I think its a bit naïve to assume that we're not going to be getting more lore and concepts from Hearthstone. I would not be surprised if Wrathion ends up looking like that HS art in the next expansion.

For me it is definitely a thing to buy dragon flight, like to play the healer part from the Drac'thyr, as well the possibilities with the toon creation and the new talent system.

Teriz these lizardmen look nothing like what you (and I) have been asking for, for months to years. If you've decided you like them and are excited for them.... good for you and I'm happy you can like this, but try to understand. These things look nothing like dragons to ALOT of people and feel incredibly low effort and non-WoW-ish for alot of people that were looking for dragons that look like the dragons we are used to seeing in this game.

I'm personally unhappy to not get a tank spec and a real dragon form, but to pretend these are DEFINITELY not what most people were asking for makes you (especially given how much work you put in for a dragon class) look like you are purposefully being contrary.

If you like them, cool. But alot of people find them utterly horrid. They are bad enough that I'm tempted to NOT play the next xpac because it looks like Blizzard isn't putting any effort in and that makes me worried for the rest of the game.

We're getting the League of Explorers in Dragon Isles, a concept that started in Hearthstone. I think its a bit naïve to assume that we're not going to be getting more lore and concepts from Hearthstone. I would not be surprised if Wrathion ends up looking like that HS art in the next expansion.
    Heh speaking of getting concepts from Hearthstone, i am now looking at Descent of dragons expansion and it brought the new keyword Invoke. Coincidence? I think not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Teriz these lizardmen look nothing like what you (and I) have been asking for, for months to years. If you've decided you like them and are excited for them.... good for you and I'm happy you can like this, but try to understand. These things look nothing like dragons to ALOT of people and feel incredibly low effort and non-WoW-ish for alot of people that were looking for dragons that look like the dragons we are used to seeing in this game.

I'm personally unhappy to not get a tank spec and a real dragon form, but to pretend these are DEFINITELY not what most people were asking for makes you (especially given how much work you put in for a dragon class) look like you are purposefully being contrary.

If you like them, cool. But alot of people find them utterly horrid. They are bad enough that I'm tempted to NOT play the next xpac because it looks like Blizzard isn't putting any effort in and that makes me worried for the rest of the game.
    I'm fine with it because I understand why they went in the direction that they did. It was either Dracthyr or no dragon class, because standard looking dragons were not possible, so they went with Dracthyr, which do look like dragons in other fantasies.

I'll take it. Especially if they give us the customization they're promising.

- - - Updated - - -

Heh speaking of getting concepts from Hearthstone, i am now looking at Descent of dragons expansion and it brought the new keyword Invoke. Coincidence? I think not.
    Definitely not a coincidence. I also expect Galakrond to have concepts from HS.

I'm fine with it because I understand why they went in the direction that they did. It was either Dracthyr or no dragon class, because standard looking dragons were not possible, so they went with Dracthyr, which do look like dragons in other fantasies.

I'll take it. Especially if they give us the customization they're promising.

We shall see on the customizations, but no tank spec kills that class for me.

As far as lizardmen or no "dragon" class, I feel like you are granting them belief that their own game shows is simply not true.

The type of dragon class people would have been happy with

A) Visage like they did (but of any race that dragons can mimic)
    B) Dragon flight form
    C) Ability to become a dragon in combat (either through form shift or cooldowns)

A is obviously easy enough for them to do. The rigs are not changing and they are just adding customizations onto a subset of race models.
    B is rediculously easy. I play a druid and I have the Sandstone drake. I can already shift into a flight form and I can become a dragon that I use to fly people around on my back.

C would be the question. Can you do a form or cooldown dragon in combat?

Answer, YEP, its already been done. Between druid forms, scaling effect visuals for others in the raid, and cooldown forms like Meta that show you could easily make dragons in combat a thing.

So, them saying they had to do it the way they did is simply a lie. Its lazy and low effort. They have all of the components they would need to make an ACTUAL dragon class, and they chose to go with these bipedal lizards.

If you like these, congratz to you. But this sucks for a lot of people that were looking for actual dragons, which these simply are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    We shall see on the customizations, but no tank spec kills that class for me.

As far as lizardmen or no "dragon" class, I feel like you are granting them belief that their own game shows is simply not true.

The type of dragon class people would have been happy with

A) Visage like they did (but of any race that dragons can mimic)
    B) Dragon flight form
    C) Ability to become a dragon in combat (either through form shift or cooldowns)

A is obviously easy enough for them to do. The rigs are not changing and they are just adding customizations onto a subset of race models.
    B is rediculously easy. I play a druid and I have the Sandstone drake. I can already shift into a flight form and I can become a dragon that I use to fly people around on my back.

C would be the question. Can you do a form or cooldown dragon in combat?

Answer, YEP, its already been done. Between druid forms, scaling effect visuals for others in the raid, and cooldown forms like Meta that show you could easily make dragons in combat a thing.

So, them saying they had to do it the way they did is simply a lie. Its lazy and low effort. They have all of the components they would need to make an ACTUAL dragon class, and they chose to go with these bipedal lizards.

If you like these, congratz to you. But this sucks for a lot of people that were looking for actual dragons, which these simply are not.
    Doing it like you describe would be more lazy tbh... You even use it as an argument for point A, B and C.
    Creating a new race that you are supposed to be in the most takes more effort than creating some customization features for existing races.

I'm also confused that so many say "I want to play as an actual dragon" and then say they should be in visage form majority of the time except for CD's and some ability usage... and being an "actual dragon" doesn't work due to size.

It's bizarre to say they are lazy when your solution is more lazy.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Anyone thinking this class is going to flop hasn't been paying attention to what this class is offering. While I am disappointed that it is only 2 specs, Demon Hunters have done just fine popularity-wise with 2 specs because they have nailed the fantasy of being a demon hunter. If this class nails the fantasy of being a dragon, then it's going to do very well also. Considering this class debuts in the DRAGON Isles, it's going to be next to impossible for Blizzard not to nail the fantasy. Players are going to be completely enveloped by it throughout the entirety of the upcoming expansion.

Further, there HAVE been people awaiting the opportunity to play a character akin to Wrathion, Kalecgos, or Alexstraza. Wrathion is easily one of the top characters in WoW at the moment, especially among the younger demographic of players. People LOVE dragons as a fantasy, and WoW is giving them that opportunity which is very novel in WoW's class lineup, and frankly the lineup of many MMO games.

Just look at the fan art already popping up;

I personally predict the DE to be one of the top 3 classes in the game on a consistent basis. It's simply bringing too much to the table.
    The "fantasy" of playing as a dragon has nothing to do with hot horned girl drawings. I'm not sure how Dracthyr are supposed to capture that fantasy when they look more like ballerinas than dragons and when they don't have a melee spec. I don't think I've ever seen a dragon casting spells, lol. This isn't a dragon fantasy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Doing it like you describe would be more lazy tbh... You even use it as an argument for point A, B and C.
    Creating a new race that you are supposed to be in the most takes more effort than creating some customization features for existing races.
    Its not a new race. Its BE and human models with mardi gras outfits.

I'm also confused that so many say "I want to play as an actual dragon" and then say they should be in visage form majority of the time except for CD's and some ability usage... and being an "actual dragon" doesn't work due to size.
    I said they could be that or make it a model shift like bear form. It could be one or the other. I am able to do everything in Sandstone Drake form and get through every door. What would make it not work due to size? I've made my bear bigger than the drake and still able to play in raid quite easily.

It's bizarre to say they are lazy when your solution is more lazy.
    2 specs, limited race looks, no other classes the race can be, and a form that is literally just an Argonian on a worgen skeleton?

Yep, lazy.

Haven’t played Evoker, so I can’t tell. As for Dracthyr, don’t like the race locked to one class.