Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You should learn how the stock market works before you try to educate anyone on financials. Disney is one the healthiest and strongest corps in the world. You are absolutely clueless to try and describe them as "broke".
    I haven't said they are broke? I'm saying they are going broke.
    If you think losing two thirds of your company's valuation is business as usual? We can only agree to disagree...
    We have already seen the direction from netflixs announcement to employees but of course, you know better

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Reminder, this is the videogame discussion forum. If you want to discuss entertainers/comedians you can do so in GenOT or the Cinema and TV forums.
    Why would it be off topic? You have entertainers, comedian's and musicians as part of said game? And its been this way forever.
    It's also very fitting to OP and the discussion at large?

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    If you think losing two thirds of your company's valuation is business as usual? We can only agree to disagree...
    We have already seen the direction from netflixs announcement to employees but of course, you know better
    I dunno the figures behind disney but its not that surprising a company whos major earners are themeparks which have been effected by covid might have suffered losses in recent years. Doesnt mean its the "go woke go broke" thing that gets thrown around. When largely most consumers are not really looking out for that stuff.

End game made a record amount of money for a film and features a pointless all female cast shot, captain marvel over 1 billion. I dont think going "woke" means financial failure it comes down to the product/hype behind it

I really don't care one way or the other about it having a female lead, but the fact that they're now scared to offend the politically correct woke crowd doesn't bode well for it being a good game. The whole reason it became such a popular series in the first place was because it wasn't afraid to push the envelope of what's acceptable in games; it won't be very convincing if the only people shown negatively are straight white men and cops.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Don't worry saying Disney is going broke is as clueless as saying they're broke. You didn't even need to correct the comment, it's not to be taken serious in the first place. The market leader for sports, cinema and theme parks/resorts and 2nd place in streaming services is going broke- thanks for the laugh once again.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-07-31 at 01:55 AM.

Developers are also being cautious not to “punch down” by making jokes about marginalized groups, the people said, in contrast with previous Grand Theft Auto games.
    /puke
    /spit

Why.... why... WHY do we have to kill fun because someone might get "offended"? So what if they get offended? Who cares? Grow up.

90% of /joke(s) from wow got removed because someone "might get offended".... saaaad, sad world we live in...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    /puke
    /spit

Why.... why... WHY do we have to kill fun because someone might get "offended"? So what if they get offended? Who cares? Grow up.

90% of /joke(s) from wow got removed because someone "might get offended".... saaaad, sad world we live in...
    So you can only have fun by being racist/bigoted? You sure thats the argument you want to push?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So you can only have fun by being racist/bigoted? You sure thats the argument you want to push?

this sums it up about 80%

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah. Still plenty of funny stuff out there. Pretty much just confirming what I said....
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I just want police activities. It can't be that hard. APB managed it in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I like humor! I don't like low effort humor playing to the lowest common denominator, it's generally not funny. The, "Oh no! Protagonist discovers that the chick giving them a lapdance IS A DUDE WITH A DICK HOLY SHIT HAHA IT'S SO FUNNY!" joke wasn't really funny to begin with, much less when the 50th time. I'm much more into social critique and commentary, mostly punching up. Punching down isn't funny, it's lazy.
    "Punching down" is used so often it's a lazy response to something someone doesn't like. Loads of extremely successful comics and comedy writers are accused of it, even if they're undeniably hilarious, talented professionals.

GTA historically is filled with politically incorrect characters, literally every character is scum, it's very troubling to read this kind of "mandate" being enforced. Shitty people in art, and especially comedy is a GOOD thing, sterilizing it always, always makes for a worse result.

Before anyone starts bitching, I have no issue, in fact I welcome a female protagonist. What I don't welcome is any attempt to "dignify" or reduce the perceived offensiveness of GTA. That satirical edge, that absolute repudiation of all things politically correct is the most refreshing and often hilarious thing Rockstar does. It'd be sad if Dan Houser leaving causes them to become Ubisoft.

...A racist character can be hilarious. It being racist, does not make the creator racist, neither does laughing at it.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2022-08-01 at 10:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    "Punching down" is used so often it's a lazy response to something someone doesn't like. Loads of extremely successful comics and comedy writers are accused of it, even if they're undeniably hilarious, talented professionals.

GTA historically is filled with politically incorrect characters, literally every character is scum, it's very troubling to read this kind of "mandate" being enforced. Shitty people in art, and especially comedy is a GOOD thing, sterilizing it always, always makes for a worse result.

Before anyone starts bitching, I have no issue, in fact I welcome a female protagonist. What I don't welcome is any attempt to "dignify" or reduce the perceived offensiveness of GTA. That satirical edge, that absolute repudiation of all things politically correct is the most refreshing and often hilarious thing Rockstar does. It'd be sad if Dan Houser leaving causes them to become Ubisoft.

...A racist character can be hilarious. It being racist, does not make the creator racist, neither does laughing at it.
    If your complaint is "nothing else is funny" yes it does.

Yeah. Still plenty of funny stuff out there. Pretty much just confirming what I said....
    Depends what you consider "funny". Yep. Pretty much confirms what I said... censorship....

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't most successful "uncensored" comedians left?
    @Tech614 helped me articulate my opinion on the matter. We can get the same GTA just without being straight up derogatory.

"Punching down" isn't about being politically correct, it's about not making fun of people/things just because they exist. It's mocking a person or thing because you feel like they are beneath you. Rockstar would be "punching down" if they used their new protagonist to make a bunch of "women are bad drivers" and "women be shopping" jokes.

They won't have characters that are made fun of for say, just being gay, xyz race, whatever.

Stuff like that

Resident Cosplay Progressive

If your complaint is "nothing else is funny" yes it does.
    Show me where I said that.

10+ Year Old Account

Says Trevor Noah is not successful....Stopped watching.

I hate this dishonest crap that people post as evidence for their point.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Show me where I said that.
    You jumped in the middle of a reply to someone else

Well, as long as there's no semi-realistic skinning of animals or stupid horse balls, I'm okay with it. Unless they have some semi-realistic human skinning. I dunno.

no, because anything that is remotely funny is some kind of -ist or offensive to someone. That's why we have freedom of speech in the US, and not the freedom to not be offended.

10+ Year Old Account

Very cringe considering the Right has taken part in censorship for its unbiased political incorrectness (hi, fellow true-believers). One of GTA V's biggest critiques was on-the-nose dark comedy that was subtle in previous titles.

Especially if/when you can interact with them you can do regular gta things to them: shoot em, explode em, run em over.

I don't have a problem with a female protaonist. It's the "cleanup" they mentioned that concerns me. Guess that's another franchise i'll wait to buy until it's on the bargain rack.