Poll: Best Dungeons have...

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Wich Expansion have the best Dungeons?

New Versions of old Dungeons (Like Deathmines) still counts as a classic Dungeon.

Would be nice if you argue why do you think Exnpansion X have the best Dungeons

And dont let have nostalgic a to big impact on your choice.

I had the most fun in cata, but had cata the best dungeons? Probably not.

In wod i barely played pve, but i have the feeling that WoD had really good dungeons.

Mop dungeons were kinda short and boring/annoying. I never liked legion m+, bfa felt meh because i felt to be forced to do them, because many BiS pvp items came from m+ and shadowlands dungeon feel often kinda boring, cause many of them have the same setting/theme, like halls and deeps and theater and plaguefall.
    Last edited by saixilein; 2022-08-15 at 08:49 AM.

Blackrock Depths and Undead Stratholme for life.

But GD was I sick of them by BC even though they were amazing.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

I really enjoyed the Cata dungeons at release, pre-nerf.

MoP's dungeons and CModes will always hold a pretty unique place in my heart.

Classic because those were actual dungeons and not some minor outdoor area turned into one. Places like Blackrock Depths and Stratholme were actual capitals and you felt that whole atmosphere going that it was a glorious place. Not made to be speedrunned but to be adventured

Pre-nerf Cata heroics.

Legion M+.

Upper/Lower Kara special highlight mention.

Wrath. Especially the incredible three that came with ICC.

Vanilla in general. Lots of dungeons were so intricate and actually felt like sub-zones, instead of the TBC and beyond dungeon design of "straight hallways". Plus most of them had outdoor elite zones outside of them, which was pretty cool. A callback to the original EverQuest dungeon/raid design of everything just being outdoor non-instanced stuff. Scholomance was originally going to be an outdoor elite area but kept growing in scope to the point where Blizz just made it an instance instead.

Blackrock Depths is still the best dungeon Blizzard ever designed. It feels like an entire zone, with so many quests, objectives, bosses, scripted events, etc....it's the epitome of WoW dungeon design.

I think I'd have to say Vanilla as well.

So many of those dungeons felt like an actual dungeon crawl and would take 30-60 mins to run through them. I remember running Uldaman being under-leveled, but our guild group wanted to see if we could finish it. Took us like 2 hours but we did it and felt so rewarding to have items drop that we couldn't use for 3-5 more levels. Then running all of the dungeons from the leveling process at or below level, was just a great experience because it was somewhat challenging at the time. Sunken Temple, Maradon, BRD, etc. They weren't just faceroll and grab everything and AoE. If you were wearing of level blues/greens, you couldn't do crazy big pulls without wiping. I miss 5 player content being challenging, without being an M+. With that said, M+ is my favorite part of the game hands down simply because there is no more group content that is challenging outside of that.

Classic Stratholme is probably my favorite dungeon in any videogame. The atmosphere is stifled with dread and an overwhelming sense of hopelessness, which is backed-up by the claustrophobic gauntlet of enemies that made Stratholme feel truly relentless and oppressive. Scholomance would be a solid runner-up, so it deserves a mention.

However, I loved (most) of Legion's initial dungeons, and Legion introduced the fan-favorite Mythic + system which breathed life into the languishing dungeon system. Plus, Legion brought back the much beloved Karazhan as a new mythic dungeon, retooling it to feel unique and fresh again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gungus View Post

You think the girl born with eight limbs is now a spider?

Classic Stratholme is the best dungeon they ever made but overall Cata had the best dungeons.

Although MoP had challenge modes the dungeons were pretty bad. Just thinking about Temple of the Jade Serpent makes me wanna stab someone. New Scholo was good though.

I would say cata, closely followed by Mop. Dungeons felt great lore wise, gameplay wise and werent over complicated for the sake of it but also didnt feel like a straight line you just run down. Honorable mentions probably go to the ICC dungeons in woltk and any of the new mega dungeons

As much as i love BRD, I think that the best dungeons had WoD. MoP was my favorite expansion, but it had some really shitty dungeons, and all the elevators... while i don't know a single bad dungeon in WoD. Legion also had some good dungeons, but i think that WoD was better in this regard.

Cata pre-nerf dungeons were really awesome for it's time. They weren't difficult, but you had to think what you were doing.

But I think best time was Legion Mythic+ before they changed it so you couldn't switch gear anymore. Totally killed M+ for me.

Vanilla is probably my 3rd choice. There's just so many of them and none of them are bad. Shame they didn't really matter at the end after you got to raiding. I kinda still wish they'd do a Classic plus with pumping all the low level dungeons to 60 when at the end game and make them matter again.

I gotta give one to Legion. It's got plenty of great dungeons, I really loved Halls of Valor, Eye of Azshara, Vault of the Wardens, Maw of Souls, Court of Stars, Return to Kara and Cathedral of Eternal Night. M+ was in its infancy but this led it to feeling less, I dunno, scripted than in subsequent expansions. I also like the classic stuff like BRD or Strath, but in terms of having a replayable pool of dungeons Legion is second to none.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legion has to get it for me. Every dungeon there felt different and very aesthetically pleasing, and most of the fights were enjoyable. Legion also brought with it m+, which in my eyes has been such a boon to the game. Another mention is the return to kara. Going through that dungeon for the first time with a bunch of friends was so cool, and had so many nostalgic nerd moments.

... I've also deleted the seat of the triumvirate from my memory. That dungeon never happened.

When leveling? Wrath cata and classic for me.

Shadowlands has made me fall in love with mythic + dungeons. The rythm for each dungeon and the mechanics of both movs and bosses are impressive and required a lot of attention.

On a side note I've loved each mega dungeon in their mythic 0 format. It is an awesome experience to do with a group of friends. It is especially nice if you have motivated friends that want to do the hard mode fights.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Always enjoyed the dungeon design, number and hubs of vanilla, tbc and wotlk and to a lesser extent cata.

Imo dungeon design went to shit when they embraced less, short, timed and streamlined dungeon design in MoP and after.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.