Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Why should blizz do it now when they know they can save it for later when the game is dying so you forum goers get baited and sub ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    1. not if, WHEN, they already said its planned.
    Gonna need a link/quote on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Gonna need a link/quote on that.
    ok not "planned" but "working on that", kinda seems close enough

https://www.wowhead.com/news/mages-p...nflight-326890

"Holinka: Yeah, you know, we kinda have this broad direction. I don't wanna make any huge promises but we kinda feel like we want to move towards a world where the race of a character is not a limiter for what they can or what they can become in the world of Warcraft.

We're working towards that but not all classes have the same kinda content requirements. More of this will come over time, but immediately in 10.0 we're gonna be making Rogues, Mages and Priests available for all races, so everyone will be able to go out and make their sneaky Tauren Rogue tiptoeing on their hooves all around.

These will be introduced in 10.0, with general intentions for us to look at more options down the line, but immediately in 10.0, you'll be able to change your Rogue, Mage and Priest to any race combinations."

pretty sure they mentioned more afterwards - how druids and other classes needs some work and locks need some lore to be available to all, but i dunno when or where was that

Seriously 20 post

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing I can think of that I really want that we don't have no is a draenei warlock...for reasons lol

I don't think races need their own talents, more things that would need balancing and Blizzard can really struggle with that at times, maybe if they just removed all racials and let you pick and choose out of pools...like build your draenei hunter like a orc with pet buff and ap cooldown or like say a human with berserking....

Could also create new "racials"...play the race you want, not the racials

That would very cool. I want to play blood elf druid.

ok not "planned" but "working on that", kinda seems close enough

https://www.wowhead.com/news/mages-p...nflight-326890

"Holinka: Yeah, you know, we kinda have this broad direction. I don't wanna make any huge promises but we kinda feel like we want to move towards a world where the race of a character is not a limiter for what they can or what they can become in the world of Warcraft.

We're working towards that but not all classes have the same kinda content requirements. More of this will come over time, but immediately in 10.0 we're gonna be making Rogues, Mages and Priests available for all races, so everyone will be able to go out and make their sneaky Tauren Rogue tiptoeing on their hooves all around.

These will be introduced in 10.0, with general intentions for us to look at more options down the line, but immediately in 10.0, you'll be able to change your Rogue, Mage and Priest to any race combinations."

pretty sure they mentioned more afterwards - how druids and other classes needs some work and locks need some lore to be available to all, but i dunno when or where was that
    M’kay, fair enough. I can see why they’d have to do a lot of modeling work for Druids, Shaman, and Paladins. It’s their own fault for making their dohickeys custom by race. I’m not sure why they’d need to do anything special for Warlocks, though. The mounts are all the same if I recall. What else am I missing? DKs are available to everyone, I think. Mage, Warrior, Priest, Hunter, Rogue are all universal…

Demon Hunters would need a new starting experience, I suppose. What else am I missing? Ignoring Evokers and Drac’thyr.

7+ Year Old Account
    M’kay, fair enough. I can see why they’d have to do a lot of modeling work for Druids, Shaman, and Paladins. It’s their own fault for making their dohickeys custom by race. I’m not sure why they’d need to do anything special for Warlocks, though. The mounts are all the same if I recall. What else am I missing? DKs are available to everyone, I think. Mage, Warrior, Priest, Hunter, Rogue are all universal…

Demon Hunters would need a new starting experience, I suppose. What else am I missing? Ignoring Evokers and Drac’thyr.
    Monk is still not available to a few races and that has no unique animations for a race. Just class animations.

i think they want some background for warlocks, some lore to put behind first as to why some races started to use them, especialy lightforged drenei seems weird
    but yeah, warlocks and monks could be done easily without it, im pretty sure they just dont want to do all classes at once

as for DH, their new starter exp will be surely done simmilar to new dk - just a single q in some appropriate location - felhammer seems logical choice - and go to capitol

tbh, it will be nice when it will all be open, but i dont care much, except for druids, im really curious about some forms, blood elf/nightborne could be something really cool
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-12-05 at 08:28 PM.

1. not if, WHEN, they already said its planned
    2. whats wrong with race being nothing but "cosmetic"? tbh, it mostly already is that for years...
    No, they didn't. In fact, they've come out many times, even recently as BFA/SL, saying that all classes/races don't make any sense to the lore of WoW. They took away warlock from Zandalari trolls because lore wise it didn't make sense. And then in DF, they released a specific class/race, that will NEVER be allowed to be other classes, or races allowed to be that class.

And no, it hasn't. Blizzard literally nerfed Trolls in BFA, when the entire method guild swapped to them to cheese Jaina fight. Races place a huge factor in top in guilds/raids. But not to the majority of the players who are barely break the 25-50 percentile.

Stop lying to folks.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Racial cliches are racism, not culture. You should understand, that race =/= culture. People of the same race live around a world and have completely different cultures. Yeah, in many cases Wow races can be treated as cultures and therefore something outside of these cultures can be forbidden. Forbidden. But not impossible. These two aren't the same. "Forbidden by culture" leaves room for exiles, who want to break cultural rules. Don't treat Tauren Rogues as something, that breaks Taurens' cultural identity. Treat them as more room for RPing exiles, like Grimtotems.
    I completely agree with this take for the setting that WoW has established. I've never fully agreed with it though, from a lore standpoint, because exceptions to the rules end up being mostly ignored for the sake of gameplay. Like, why does the Alliance and Horde really have Warlocks amongst their ranks? There is a clear conflict of interest when they're always seen as unfavourable and only exist in secret societies, yet are treated just the same as 'Champions' when the story necessitates them being brought to the forefront. The idea of a 'necessary evil for the sake of good' only works when it's fully integrated into the story like it has for DK's, not so much for Warlocks whose overall lore gets mostly ignored and just accepted as 'well they've always been there so let's just keep it that way'.

It's the kind of blanket, generic explanation that waters down the cultural significance of certain races. Like, can we even say the Night Elves are culturally against magic if they're actively using magic? You could say that 'well it's this Highborne group that is doing so not the regular dudes', but that's only if you consider that to be the lore. We're at a point where that explanation has completely gone away with Exiles Reach, where you're literally able to just make a Night Elf Mage whose origin is a Night Elf who is completely culturally agnostic, and merely takes up the use of Arcane magic because you happen to choose that race/class combination. The 'Highborne' lore has mostly become irrelevant to any players who started after Legion, and hadn't been around to witness the specific lore presented during Cataclysm.

And that is what I see happening with most of the 'lore' for these new race/class combos. They're on a very thin thread. Is there really any Grimtotem lore specific to Tauren Rogues? Not really, this is mostly being driven by correlation and headcanon (if I'm not mistaken).

And if we're just going to default to RP for everything, then like... there's no reason why the lines between Alliance and Horde should even exist, really. It's purely a gameplay limitation rather than a lore one anyways.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-12-05 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I completely agree with this take for the setting that WoW has established. I've never fully agreed with it though, from a lore standpoint, because exceptions to the rules end up being mostly ignored for the sake of gameplay. Like, why does the Alliance and Horde really have Warlocks amongst their ranks? There is a clear conflict of interest when they're always seen as unfavourable and only exist in secret societies, yet are treated just the same as 'Champions' when the story necessitates them being brought to the forefront. The idea of a 'necessary evil for the sake of good' only works when it's fully integrated into the story like it has for DK's, not so much for Warlocks whose overall lore gets mostly ignored and just accepted as 'well they've always been there so let's just keep it that way'.

It's the kind of blanket, generic explanation that waters down the cultural significance of certain races. Like, can we even say the Night Elves are culturally against magic if they're actively using magic? You could say that 'well it's this Highborne group that is doing so not the regular dudes', but that's only if you consider that to be the lore. We're at a point where that explanation has completely gone away with Exiles Reach, where you're literally able to just make a Night Elf Mage whose origin is a Night Elf who is completely culturally agnostic, and merely takes up the use of Arcane magic because you happen to choose that race/class combination. The 'Highborne' lore has mostly become irrelevant to any players who started after Legion, and hadn't been around to witness the specific lore presented during Cataclysm.

And that is what I see happening with most of the 'lore' for these new race/class combos. They're on a very thin thread. Is there really any Grimtotem lore specific to Tauren Rogues? Not really, this is mostly being driven by correlation and headcanon (if I'm not mistaken).

And if we're just going to default to RP for everything, then like... there's no reason why the lines between Alliance and Horde should even exist, really. It's purely a gameplay limitation rather than a lore one anyways.
    I've told it many times already. Many players don't understand, that we play game - not read book or watch movie. And in game WE are masters of our stories. And lore is just background.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-lifer View Post
    That would very cool. I want to play blood elf druid.
    If the players have this option, then 80% of the tauren and troll druids become blood elf. That would be a disaster for the horde. Those races are already dying from a horde elf plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreth88 View Post
    If the players have this option, then 80% of the tauren and troll druids become blood elf. That would be a disaster for the horde. Those races are already dying from a horde elf plague.
    Seriously.
    It's already exhausting seeing them all over the place every time I log into horde.
    Giving people even more incentive to play a race that takes up 20% of the entire game's population isn't going to make the situation better.

If they're giving that race druids, the forms better be as bland as what night elves have, and I seriously hope they go back and make the male night elf actually look as attractive as the male blood elf, because if not, even night elves are gonna take a hit. They have the niche of being the only elf with them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    Seriously.
    It's already exhausting seeing them all over the place every time I log into horde.
    Giving people even more incentive to play a race that takes up 20% of the entire game's population isn't going to make the situation better.

If they're giving that race druids, the forms better be as bland as what night elves have, and I seriously hope they go back and make the male night elf actually look as attractive as the male blood elf, because if not, even night elves are gonna take a hit. They have the niche of being the only elf with them.
    They will give then, and it will gave then first, lore be fucking dammed, even when other horde races make much more sense as druid, The devs already made clear they will pamper this playerbase and focus only on then because more players play then

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Racial cliches are racism, not culture. You should understand, that race =/= culture. People of the same race live around a world and have completely different cultures. Yeah, in many cases Wow races can be treated as cultures and therefore something outside of these cultures can be forbidden. Forbidden. But not impossible. These two aren't the same. "Forbidden by culture" leaves room for exiles, who want to break cultural rules. Don't treat Tauren Rogues as something, that breaks Taurens' cultural identity. Treat them as more room for RPing exiles, like Grimtotems.
    I fully agree with this; this is how it's been done in D&D since 3e removed class restrictions. A class choice or really an archetype may be extremely uncommon in a specific culture. A player could very well be the only one of that class among that race.

If we really wanted to go beyond the concept of race itself is antiquated and most tRPGs have replaced it with heritage/ancestry (D&D is late to the party but they are going with that as well)

Plus given we've had Forsaken Holy Priests since classic, the idea that Void Elf Paladins or Lightforged Warlocks are too much seems silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    If WoW had been designed with cross faction gameplay from the get-go we'd never have needed Horde Paladins and Alliance Shaman in the first place. Heck they wouldn't have had to create the Tauren druid lore and Moonglade could have been the Night Elf capital instead with Druids unique to them. The fact that factions were kept separate meant that nothing could be added that was exclusive to any race because the other side would lose access to it. If anything, removing the faction barrier could allow them to actually add exclusives now.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreth88 View Post
    so people would play what they like, and that would be problem somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    They will give then, and it will gave then first, lore be fucking dammed, even when other horde races make much more sense as druid, The devs already made clear they will pamper this playerbase and focus only on then because more players play then
    A lot of players are the equivalent of fair-weather players, to wit, players that are kept interested...play. Typically the first months playing a new expansion. At which point some players quit for a month or months at a time. I'm guessing that Blizz imagines that an "anything goes/fuck the lore" policy will increase the time a current player will be playing...or at least not quitting for a month or so after a new expansion kicks in.

It's a shitty lazy as fuck idea imo. But Blizz apparently feels the current playerbase won't be too affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    Seriously.

They just need to revamp Silvermoon and let the blood elves move there. Then you can stay in Orgrimmar punting Vulpera that are humping your legs.

so people would play what they like, and that would be problem somehow?
    Problem for a game, yes. It will become grey, colorless, tasteless. Everyone become your favorite looking race and the game what can become a colorful fantasy will slowly fade away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    If WoW had been designed with cross faction gameplay from the get-go we'd never have needed Horde Paladins and Alliance Shaman in the first place. Heck they wouldn't have had to create the Tauren druid lore and Moonglade could have been the Night Elf capital instead with Druids unique to them. The fact that factions were kept separate meant that nothing could be added that was exclusive to any race because the other side would lose access to it. If anything, removing the faction barrier could allow them to actually add exclusives now.
    This actually a good idea, but for this we need wow2.