Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Credit where Credit is due

I'm not a fan of Nobbel but at least he tried to push on a few of those lore questions in his interview before he realized 'oh god, Blizzard will probably not let me interview them again if they don't like me calling bullshit on their answers'

Though it seems clear Blizz just straight up doesn't have an answer for where this first Gen of Centaur in Dragon Isles actually came from beyond just... sprouting up in ancient kalimdor. How did the first gen of centaur come to be if Theradras and Zaetar didn't make them?

It's really very frustrating, even years after quitting the game, that they still don't care about the quality of the narrative in such a basic way.

EDIT: Corrected a sentence in the second paragraph.
    Last edited by Skytotem; 2022-11-22 at 05:02 AM.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    I'm not a fan of Nobbel but at least he tried to push on a few of those lore questions in his interview before he realized 'oh god, Blizzard will probably not let me interview them again if they don't like me calling bullshit on their answers'

Though it seems clear Blizz just straight up doesn't have an answer for where this first Gen of Centaur in Dragon Isles actually came from beyond just... sprouting up in ancient kalimdor. How did Zaetar and Theradras make a second gen set of Centaur? Who knows! It doesn't matter and the writers are annoyed that we've asked.

It's really very frustrating, even years after quitting the game, that they still don't care about the quality of the narrative in such a basic way.
    Zaetar and Theradras do the vertical monster mash to create the centaurs in Kalimdor. This is like, Vanilla lore iirc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The creation of centaur seems to just need the union of an Ancient or Wild God and an Elemental of some renown. The centaur of Kalimdor were created by Zaetar and Theradras, but the Ohn'ahran Plains in the Dragon Isles also have a surplus of elementals as well as a Wild God, Ohn'ahra, who the Maruuk centaur appear to revere. It seems likely that the Maruuk are the spawn of Ohn'ahra and some elemental being thousands of years ago.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Though it seems clear Blizz just straight up doesn't have an answer for where this first Gen of Centaur in Dragon Isles actually came from beyond just... sprouting up in ancient kalimdor. How did Zaetar and Theradras make a second gen set of Centaur? Who knows! It doesn't matter and the writers are annoyed that we've asked.

Danuser has made it very clear with comments that consistency to older lore would be "constraining" and similar, he does not like the older material and resents its success. He resents the playerbase for liking it better than his recycled crap original ideas, so yes he gets annoyed when you point out his half-assed ideas don't work with the older material. It's why he's taking the approach of tearing things down, retconning them beyond recognition, or flat out demonizing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

It is frustrating indeed. Danuser is incredibly bad at world-building. Shadowlands has so many extremely potent implications for literally the entire meaning of life and death on Azeroth that it just cannot be ignored. Yet that is exactly what they are doing.

The answer when asked about if people have changed after SLs, was: "Most people didn't change, since they didn't see the SLs". That is such bullshit. Are you telling me that the leaders that have all seen Revendreth and the Maw did not publizise their knowledge? Like... the little fact that there is actually a clearly defined set of Morals in the universe and if you go against them you get tortured in Revendreth for millenia (and that is if you are lucky and not send to the Maw).

That is kind of a thing a responsible leader would tell his people...

Or the small thing that life after death actually factually exists...

And many more things...

I am just apaled how they glance over this as if it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    It is frustrating indeed. Danuser is incredibly bad at world-building. Shadowlands has so many extremely potent implications for literally the entire meaning of life and death on Azeroth that it just cannot be ignored. Yet that is exactly what they are doing.

The answer when asked about if people have changed after SLs, was: "Most people didn't change, since they didn't see the SLs". That is such bullshit. Are you telling me that the leaders that have all seen Revendreth and the Maw did not publizise their knowledge? Like... the little fact that there is actually a clearly defined set of Morals in the universe and if you go against them you get tortured in Revendreth for millenia (and that is if you are lucky and not send to the Maw).

And many more things...

The leaders might not. The average guard that followed them though will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Zaetar and Theradras do the vertical monster mash to create the centaurs in Kalimdor. This is like, Vanilla lore iirc.
    Which happened roughly 2k years ago, the new centaurs are well over 10k years old.

Trolls just sprouted up, Yaungol just sprouted up? Also Cenarius already was a thing back then.

It could work similarly to the lineage of Grond (Colossals>Mangnaron>Gronn>Ogron>Ogre>Orc). So Cenarius>Keepers>Centaur.

I'm not sure why the centaurs are the new hill to die on when there are lots of Ancient and lots of elementals through history that could have mated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The creation of centaur seems to just need the union of an Ancient or Wild God and an Elemental of some renown. The centaur of Kalimdor were created by Zaetar and Theradras, but the Ohn'ahran Plains in the Dragon Isles also have a surplus of elementals as well as a Wild God, Ohn'ahra, who the Maruuk centaur appear to revere. It seems likely that the Maruuk are the spawn of Ohn'ahra and some elemental being thousands of years ago.
    I think a dryad/ancient and a wind elemental are more likely than them being literal children of Ohnhara.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post

And many more things...

Dumbuser needs to be sacked, but it's Blizzard they're all about rewarding mediocrity and incompetence these days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Which happened roughly 2k years ago, the new centaurs are well over 10k years old.
    That's why I said the Centaurs of Kalimdor. OP said "How did Zaetar and Theradras make a second gen set of Centaur? Who knows!", we know how it happened, A Wild God got freaky with an Elemental. The lore is that they mated. If you really want more details about how a half horse-half humanoid god did it with a giant rock elemental, there's likely a fan fic somewhere but that goes above the T rating of WoW.

Auculd's post directly below mine presents a really reasonable theory as to how they came to be. The thing about lore interviews for an expansion that isn't out yet is that there's a lot of information they don't want to drop yet. They don't want to reveal the whole story before the game is out. They just want to give people a broad picture of the story, they don't want to get too detailed so we can experience it all first hand and not through youtube interviews.

No, Dragon flight has retconned that to be the SECOND time centaurs were created, the ones on the Dragon Isles existed before that.
    Twas brillig

No, Dragon flight has retconned that to be the SECOND time centaurs were created, the ones on the Dragon Isles existed before that.
    They were responding to this comment from you in your post:

"How did Zaetar and Theradras make a second gen set of Centaur? Who knows! It doesn't matter and the writers are annoyed that we've asked."

Lmao. It is fucking crazy to me that people think like this, and even more crazy that multiple people agree with them and don't consider it weird that they spend this much time caring about an irrelevant lore tidbit from a game they haven't played for years.

The "rule of cool" is a cornerstone of most fiction content. Centaurs are cool and we haven't seen them since Vanilla. That's what most people are going to think - no one except terminally online forumgoers spend any time thinking about their progeny.

10+ Year Old Account
    And? I never said they came first, you said "How did Zaetar and Theradras make a second gen set of Centaur? Who knows!"

We've known for a long time how Zaetar and Theradras made the centaurs in Kalimdor, doesn't matter if they came first or second. Conveniently, there's both a Wild God and a lot of Elementals involved with the centaurs on the Dragon Isles. Weird. It's almost as if they're setting something up, and maybe just didn't want to drop too much info in a random interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Lmao. It is fucking crazy to me that people think like this, and even more crazy that multiple people agree with them and don't consider it weird that they spend this much time caring about an irrelevant lore tidbit from a game they haven't played for years.

The "rule of cool" is a cornerstone of most fiction content. Centaurs are cool and we haven't seen them since Vanilla. That's what most people are going to think - no one except terminally online forumgoers spend any time thinking about their progeny.
    Not to mention their original origin of a dryad dude fucking a fat earth elemental is pretty weird and stupid anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post

This is the equivalent of going in the PVP forum and saying "Gosh, it's crazy that people here care about PVP!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

And? I never said they came first, you said "How did Zaetar and Theradras make a second gen set of Centaur? Who knows!"

We've known for a long time how Zaetar and Theradras made the centaurs in Kalimdor, doesn't matter if they came first or second. Conveniently, there's both a Wild God and a lot of Elementals involved with the centaurs on the Dragon Isles. Weird. It's almost as if they're setting something up, and maybe just didn't want to drop too much info in a random interview.
    You're misunderstanding, it's impossible for Zaetar and Theradras to have made the first set.

EDIT To clarify: So I'm asking how the hell did Zaetar and Theradras duplicate an existing species with their coupling
    Last edited by Skytotem; 2022-11-22 at 05:04 AM.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    You're misunderstanding, it's impossible for Zaetar and Theradras to have made the first set.
    I'm not misunderstanding at all, I never said they made the first Centaurs. I answered your question of how Zaetar and Theradras made the second set because you were apparently unaware that we have that knowledge, and I'm implying that a different Wild God and Elemental located on the Dragon Isles may have made the first set in the same manner, and also speculating that the writers don't want to drop a ton of knowledge and deep lore points on an interview before the game even drops so they don't spoil too much of the story.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2022-11-22 at 05:12 AM.

I'm not misunderstanding at all, I never said they made the first Centaurs. I answered your question of how Zaetar and Theradras made the second set because you were apparently unaware that we have that knowledge, and I'm implying that a different Wild God and Elemental located on the Dragon Isles made the first set in the same manner.
    Blizz is basically saying in the interview 'oh the first centaur evolved naturally' because they just wanted to move on, that answer to him was nonsensical because then Zaetar and Theradras's coupling just happened to create a species that is exactly the same as a pre-existing race, it's like if a pair of elementals and life creatures on draenor suddenly made night elves distinct from the ones that existed on Azeroth.

Why would another elemental/life creature pair on Kalimdor have made the exact same offspring? It's clunky writing and they clearly don't have an answer, so it doesn't make sense that they'd bother to say that these centaur are specifically a prior generation and not just... recent arrivals or retcon Theradras/Zaetar as having taken place earlier.
    Twas brillig