Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Tanks - why are they so overtuned, yet again?

Title.

Tanks deal insane amounts of damage, they have insane self heal and inarguably the best defense and survivability tools in the game (hint: they're tanks).

Didn't Blizzard intend to avoid situations like these, when tanks are basically the holy trinity in unison? I just don't get the idea behind this - I'm playing a healer and it's very comfortable for me, but they seem way too overtuned right now.

What's the reason for this?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

15+ Year Old Account
    And even then, there's still a shortage of tanks for all pve content.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Nobody wants to play them.

Tanks deal insane amounts of damage
    and yet also they must get huge aura buffs to their threat because they don't deal nearly enough damage
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Given almost every tank is getting buffs I think you are wrong. At the same point in time in Shadowlands I outdps'd at least one of the dps in every run on the early Mythic dungeon runs (well, Ashen Hallow). I was below every dps in almost every run I've done so far. Who knows maybe I got lucky and had decent dps in my group for once?

Title.

Tanks deal insane amounts of damage, they have insane self heal and inarguably the best defense and survivability tools in the game (hint: they're tanks).

Didn't Blizzard intend to avoid situations like these, when tanks are basically the holy trinity in unison? I just don't get the idea behind this - I'm playing a healer and it's very comfortable for me, but they seem way too overtuned right now.

DPS scale far better with gear so tanks will be doing more relative damage now when everyone has horrible stats. Come back in a couple weeks and they'll be getting dunked again
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    And even then, there's still a shortage of tanks for all pve content.
    Which has nothing to do with the points above, but with the role in general. Making them immortal juggernauts won't solve the tank shortage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    and yet also they must get huge aura buffs to their threat because they don't deal nearly enough damage
    In the first 3 seconds of a fight because damage dealers are used to instantly, sometimes even before the tank, to attack enemies. That buff has nothing to do with their damage in general.

Title.

Honestly it wouldn't be an issue if Blizzard wasn't scared of allowing other specs to do things like tank when necessary or heal others when necessary without needing to be that spec, they're way too stuck in their ways about the 3 group roles and scared to let more freedom happen.

Tanks don't do an insane amount of damage(unless you consider anywhere beetween 60 to 80% of a dps "insane"), neither do they have crazy self sustain. The content we're clearing right now is trivial and the gear available is very weak, when M+ releases tanks will start taking actual damage and dps will have enough gear to really start popping off.

Tanks most certainly are more powerful than ever this early in an expansion, but that's because instead of gating their power with borrowed powers they gave it through talents. I have to say though current prot warrior is probably one of the most overpowered iteration of tanks i've seen in years, it has so many layers of disgusting mitigation, utility and cc it's a bit crazy it even went live like that, but that's just 1 tank class.

With all the abuse tanks get they deserve all the power they can get. Though I'm sure that even if they can one shot every mob, some dipshit will still yell at them for being to slow.

Title.

Tanks are actually pretty weak right now.

Tanks are tuned high because kiting non stop is not fun. There is already a shortage of tanks, making the gameplay even more frustrating turning even more players away from tanking thus making the shortage even worse. This is why tuning is high.

Its not as high as you think though. All of the current content is very easy. I cleared through all of the M0s with my guild and skipped half of the boss abilities because they all just get deleted in 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Tanking as a pug in mythic+ is a miserable experience so no one wants to do it.
    Tanks have the luxury to be rare and they have just to look after themselves, mostly. I think healers have a way harder time pugging for mythic dungeons in general due to all four other group members relying on you. But that's a completely different topic.

Title.

My blood tank has really good self healing, but he takes huge amounts of damage (health spikes up/down a lot). He also does abysmal damage.

Prot warriors however....absurd

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    My blood tank has really good self healing, but he takes huge amounts of damage (health spikes up/down a lot). He also does abysmal damage.

Prot warriors however....absurd
    Maybe that's why I am under this impression, most tanks I've had were prot warriors and they indeed have been crazy overtuned. Feral Druid and Demonhunter were quite powerful, too. I think I had zero tank Monks and DKs in my mythic runs.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    With all the abuse tanks get they deserve all the power they can get. Though I'm sure that even if they can one shot every mob, some dipshit will still yell at them for being to slow.
    Tanks are the most entitled, prissy primadonnas in the game. No matter how much of an ignorant, retarded cretin a tank is, he will still find a way to blame anything that goes wrong on the DPS, and to then make a reddit thread about it titled something like "this is why there's a tank shortage".

The only legitimate complaint tanks have is that needing to know every MDT route for every instance, for every affix combination, for every season, has become their job. But that's an instance design problem with routing itself, not with tanking; the problem just happens to fall on the tank's shoulders.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Simple answer: Because almost no one whats to play it, they have to make them op to attract atleast some ppl, try tank in in pvp/arena you wil see how op they can be. And yet they kkeep crying on forums how tanks have to vialable for pvp...

As a few others have said, we are still very early into the expansion. DPS isn't properly itemized yet. I think its a non-issue at this point.

But even if tanks did insane Cata Vengeance levels of damage, it won't really change anything. Most people still wouldn't roll tank just because they don't want to be responsible for leading the group or having to learn all the routes.

Also keep in mind that if this is based on leveling dungeons, the weird scaling is going to make stuff appear very strange. Characters are more powerful the closer they are to level 60 because they'll have the stats from the previous expansion. I was literally top DPS in every key I did on my holy priest for the first two levels just by using holy Nova because I still had like 35% haste and overpowered trinkets

Title.

So everyone is dpsing as tanks, im assuming? Or you are exaggerating? Are you talking specifically about pvp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.