Page 1 of 156
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

2023-2024 NFL Thread

Welcome everyone to the 2023-2024 NFL Thread

Where we discuss the 2023-2024 NFL season from the legal tampering days in March, all the way to the Superbowl of this season on February 10, 2024 at Allegiant Stadium (Paradise, NV) with all the news and all the games that go on in between.

Thread Rules:

There aren't many specific rules in this thread other than the normal forum rules that apply everywhere. We expect people to follow the spirit of the thread and the forum, mostly by respecting that every one has a favorite team and is entitled to cheer for them. Some banter is fine, insulting and trolling is not.

We also ask to keep the discussion largely centered around the current season and to leave in depth discussions about which team or player from yesteryear was better than which other team/player to threads made to discuss such a topic.

Let's start off with some things from last year's thread:

Links to previous seasons threads:

2010-2013 thread: link
    2013-2014 thread: link
    2014-2015 thread: link
    2015-2016 thread: link
    2016-2017 thread: link
    2017-2018 thread: link
    2018-2019 thread: link
    2019-2020 thread: link
    2020-2021 thread: link
    2021-2022 thread: link
    2022-2022 thread: link

Calendar 2023:

February & March

February 28-March 6 NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana.

March 7 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition
    Players.

March 13-15 During the period beginning at 12:00 noon, New York time, on March 13 and ending at 3:59:59
    p.m., New York time, on March 15, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract
    negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon
    the expiration of their 2022 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 15.
    During the above two-day negotiating period, a prospective UFA who is not represented by an
    NFLPA Certified Contract Advisor is permitted to communicate directly with a new club’s front
    office officials (excluding the head coach and other members of the club’s coaching staff)
    regarding contract negotiations.
    No prospective unrestricted free agent is permitted to execute a contract with a new club until
    4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 15.

March 15 The 2023 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 15 The first day of the 2023 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 15.
    Clubs will receive a Personnel Notice that will include all transactions submitted to the League
    office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time,
    on March 15.
    Trading period for 2023 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2022
    contracts.

March 26-29 Annual League Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona.

April 27-29 NFL Draft, Kansas City, Missouri.

May 2 Deadline for Clubs to exercise Fifth-Year Option for players selected in the first round of the
    2020 Draft.

July

Mid July Training Camp

August

All August Training Camp and Pre-Season games

September

September ?? Start of the Season with the ??? at the Kansas City Chiefs to open the season on a Thursday and the rest of the league on Sunday and Monday after.

Continued Discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Rodgers has left his Saddam hole. Unknown if he saw his shadow or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    According to Berman, the 300-square-foot room in which Rodgers spent his time is a partially underground structure devoid of light, with a queen bed, a bathroom and a meditation-like mat. It is fully powered, and the lights can be turned on from inside the room.

Really...man he seems off his rocker.

Lastly:

We hope everyone that likes football will join us as we go on the journey to learn who will eventually follow last year's winners the Kansas City Chiefs as the 2023-2024 NFL Superbowl LVII winners.

Have at it, ladies and gentlemen!

Signed, the mods.

At least my team has what is shaping up to be an interesting offseason. Questions I am curious to have answers to for the Saints. Who is going to be the QB? Do they do more crazy draft trades? What happens with Michael Thomas?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Packers are gonna trade Rodgers to the Raiders, mark this post for laughing at when he's back in Green Bay come August.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Working of Kyanion's cue on how my team's offseason is going to look:

The one huge thing for the Patriots already happened: They hired Bill O'Brien to run the offense. Given the disfunction that was apparent from basically day 1 of training camp last year, I'm HIGHLY curious how this is going to work out. This needs to work for any of the other off season stuff I'm curious about to have any chance.

What I'm curious about: is Mac Jones the guy? I have always believed in him, and I think he can be a good QB in the league, but it needs to show right now this season and it needs to show in spades, otherwise, annoying as it would be, the Patriots need to make other plans. I don't think Bailey Zappe is a real back up plan if Mac is a bust. He was worse than Mac was in his rookie year in most things and comparing him to year 2 Mac is even more unfair. I will say though that Zappe started out in the worst possible scenario for him and showed that there's something there. Who knows what BOB can get out of him?

With OC and QB the main concerns this off season the rest is of less concern. I do wonder if BOB has any influence on the draft and who we take there or if he's completely shut out of that. We still need to improve things personnel wise on offense. We need Tackles, we probably need to re-sign Jacoby Meyers or if we don't, make some hell of a move to improve the WR room. We need to figure out the TE situation. And a lot of this also comes back again to the first point: how much can BOB do with what's already there?

I'm not too worried about defense. The one major concern there is if Devin MCCourty retires, and if he does not, how reliable and good he will still be. He's clearly been passed in overal effectiveness by Kyle Dugger, but in leadership and communication he's been such a mainstay that it will likely be a process of multiple players stepping up and adjusting to new responsibilities to replace him if he does call it a career.

Usually I'd wonder about what the Patriots do in the Draft. But that's such a fool's errand to try and figure out for the Patriots, that you basically just have to tune in on Draft night and find out, cause there's no way anyone can predict what BB will want or will do. That won;t stop me from doing a ton of mock drafts on various draft simulators, but that's mostly to figure out who is actually in the draft and at what point you can expect to find certain players or when certain positions just run out of good players to draft.

All in all I'm kind of cautious about how this offseason is going to go. BB and the Team botched it last offseason in some important areas. It's been kind of up and down since the offseason Brady left, first dealing with the cap and having stop gap Cam newton at QB, then having Mac's first year which was pretty successful all things considered, then last year's disaster on offense with the coaching staff choices. It's all left me a little weary about moves the team makes, cause while most moves were understandable to a degree when they were made, the results have been pretty bad in some key areas. I just need to see an offseason, and season too, where the Patriots show that they are still as sharp as they were 5+ years ago. Cause there's been hints of that old savvy but also some decisions that are very much not something that the Patriots would have done when they were chasing championships every year as the norm.

We'll see. Cautiously optimistic, with the emphasis on cautiously.

- - - Updated - - -

Well then. Rams are definitely blowing things up it seems. Apparently Jalen Ramsey is going to get traded in the coming weeks.

Costs 17M this year when traded, and 14,5M and 15,5M the remaining years on his contract. He'd probably want a new deal when he's traded, cause he seems like the type, but maybe you make a deal with him on a shorter deal and bring his first year cost even further down. He'll have little leverage, cause under contract for 3 years.

Funnily enough I was reading about Revis and the pact he made with the Patriots in 2014. I wonder if Ramsey would be interested in a similar deal. Not with the Patriots perhaps (although we do need a bigger corner...) but with whatever team the Rams find to trade him to.

Hurray new season thread!!!
    As always at this point I am optimistic Falcon Fan....then the draft happens...then the hype for the first game...then....

Too many decades now of hoping and getting nothing. Guess we shall see! Go Falcons!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Overall they are due for a regression after overachieving last year
    Eh, I wondered about this during the season, and I do think they overachieved to a degree, but it was also just rebounding to a more reasonably expected level after several years of coaching malpractice.

You can argue how much was overachieving and how much was rebounding from bad coaching and planning, but if the Giants use their capspace and draft capital to continue going the right direction then there might not even be a regression.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean if they sign Jones for 40 million and then sign Saquon for 10 most of that cap space is gone.
    Yeah, signing Saquon for 10M is not part of any kind of right direction for the Giants. Time to move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to do that though - a lot of fans walking around in Barkley jerseys, he’s probably the most popular guy on the team (which is part of why it was dumb to draft him).
    That's just MORE reason to let him walk. More jersey sales!

Bengals gonna let Jessie Bates and Germaine Pratt walk.

$40 million in cap space but everything in limbo until Burrow's extension is hashed out.

Paying running backs is always a bad move, but the Cowboys were dumb enough to do it so the Giants might too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haha I’m just thinking of all the young fans who look up to him around here - same way they looked up to Beckham 8 years ago. You lose young fans when you let their hero walk.
    You’re just giving more historical reasons to let him go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jalen Carter is being charged in connection with the crash that killed a Georgia teammate and staffer, they were racing, evidently.

Will this be a huge deal involving a potential top-5 pick? Or will the NFL sweep it under the rug like Dan Snyder fraud charges.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends. If it's clear the trial is a sham and his celebrity will get him off, still a top 5 pick. If there's doubt that he walks, probably 20s. Either way, still a first rounder. Someone will take the flier.

Jalen Carter is being charged in connection with the crash that killed a Georgia teammate and staffer, they were racing, evidently.

Will this be a huge deal involving a potential top-5 pick? Or will the NFL sweep it under the rug like Dan Snyder fraud charges.
    I mean there are some details to consider. First of all he is likely being charged with 2 misdemeanors for 'racing' and 'reckless driving'. There could be more charges for lying to the police about what happened and he did leave the scene of the accident but he wasn't the direct cause of said accident so I dunno if anything happens there.

As far as the NFL sweeping it under the rug? Why would they need to? The player isn't in the NFL yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Depends. If it's clear the trial is a sham and his celebrity will get him off, still a top 5 pick. If there's doubt that he walks, probably 20s. Either way, still a first rounder. Someone will take the flier.
    Reckless driving and racing are both misdemeanors in Georgia, so celebrity status won't mean anything other than if it gets him out of the fine or license suspension.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Reckless driving and racing are both misdemeanors in Georgia, so celebrity status won't mean anything other than if it gets him out of the fine or license suspension.
    If that's the case then yeah it won't affect his draft stock at all, and there's nothing for the NFL to cover up. Guilty or not he'll be ready Week 1.

I thought he was getting slapped with Vehicular Manslaughter or something.

The tricky thing is he left. If they have video/witnesses of him leaving, that's probably a felony. If there's witnesses to his drunkenness, the DUI would be a felony.

And if there's a felony, there's felony murder, which is the dumbest law in the history of everything, but still somehow considered constitutional and not "cruel and unusual punishment." And that's 25 to life.

Definitely more relevant to UGA than Carter/NFL. Carter will still be picked, maybe just not super high anymore. NFL will ignore it what is likely to be minor charges. UGA on the other hand has a female staffer at a strip club with student athletes and drunk racing afterwards. In a university owned vehicle with the said staffer having a .197 BAC. It's like a damn Blue Mountain State episode. They are going to get bent over in a lawsuit and have to pay massive settlement money to make it go away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    And if there's a felony, there's felony murder, which is the dumbest law in the history of everything, but still somehow considered constitutional and not "cruel and unusual punishment." And that's 25 to life.
    He wasn't the one driving the vehicle that killed people. 0 threat of murder on the table here. All they served him with are reckless driving and and illegal racing. He's gonna be fine.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-03-02 at 05:49 AM.

Jerome Boger is retiring. Easily the best news of the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    He wasn't the one driving the vehicle that killed people. 0 threat of murder on the table here. All they served him with are reckless driving and and illegal racing. He's gonna be fine.
    There's a reason felony murder is the dumbest law on the books. If a homicide occurs during the committing of a felony, the felony murder rule lets you charge everyone involved in the felony with murder.

Like, it's a law that's literally been used to charge someone in a car chase with murder when the cops accidentally shoot and kill an innocent bystander. It's the law that lets you charge the getaway driver with the murders of the guys inside the bank who're executing hostages, even if you didn't have the mens rea to commit violence (IE, the plan was quick in and out with no casualties, just the "threat of violence").

It's been used to charge street racers with murder in the past, in other states with felony murder laws.
    https://accesswdun.com/article/2022/...north-of-helen

Also, these are just the first charges. In cases like this, it's pretty common to charge someone with the easily-indictable misdemeanors so your investigation can be more expansive. Like, the charges will serve as the probable cause basis for later search warrants, like for any witnesses or camera footage.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2023-03-02 at 10:45 PM.