Has Wow lost Asmongold?

The guy used to play WoW every single day and gave WoW incredible free advertisement on both Twitch and Youtube. Now he logs into the game for the first time in I do not know how long. Flies around Stormwind complains about the game for twenty minutes, collects his monthly retainment chest and then logs off. Even during BFA he would play the game constantly. Even during Shadowlands he played significantly more than he does now, which to be fair, is not that difficult, since he basically has stopped playing.

He used to raid and clear Mythic, even during something like Nighthold. He had top 1 % parses on his warrior. He used to PvP at a decent level and get many of the mounts and titles. Used to mount farm and do collectibles.

Just seems like if Dragonflight has lost someone like Asmongold, who was the kind of quintessential WoW player who would play constantly. Then the game is in trouble? We have seen a lot of discussion about how Shadowlands is to blame for Dragonflight doing poorly, but if the game can not retain players like Asmongold then maybe that is the actual issue WoW is facing? At some point we have to stop blaming Shadowlands and look at the actual state of Dragonflight that for some reason is just not attractive to players.

Again?
    Who cares about internet celebrities?

15+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes people grow up and get past their old favorite games.
    It's okay. Asmo's job is to entertain people. He can do that through many different ways.
    Not to mention, people can do stuff ONLY to entertain users just to raise up their own MAU/DAU/Stream average users. It can be the case as well.
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

They're no longer designing the game around people who have unlimited free time. What takes the rest of us a week he does in a day.

Asmongold transcended the game, he is the reason people watch him (not world of warcraft). So he can basically play whatever he wants and still keep his brand going.

15+ Year Old Account
    No wonder, wow is just a shadow of its former self.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWenjoyer View Post
    At some point we have to stop blaming Shadowlands and look at the actual state of Dragonflight that for some reason is just not attractive to players.
    at this point you should read quarter call, which states DF have better player retention than previous modern expansions... and sure they can bend truth there but cant outright lie so that is hard to interpret differently...
    so maybe, just maybe, YOUR opinion of the DF, which Asmongold might share (why on earth would we give a damn?), is not shared with general audience, and the game is indeed doing fine...

as for Asmongold, or others like him, why should we care if they play?
    honestly, i never understood the fascination some morons have with streameers and such, my enjoyment of the game does not depend on them, untill you said so i didnt even know he doesnt play anymore, i play wow bcs I enjoy it, not bcs some youtuber does...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2023-05-01 at 12:04 PM.

It seems all he does nowadays is react to internet culture related videos.

He doesn't even play really any other games or react that much to WoW/MMO related videos anymore.

I stopped watching him for that reason many months ago.

People grow up and focus on other things than video games.
    People have different priorities.

If someone is focusing on a video game 24/7 and keep playing on the highest level possible for nearly 15 year then you know that something is wrong. The only exception is when you are actually making money from it, otherwise it's just waste of time.

It's nice that someone who was once labeled as epitome of a no-life actually find other hobbies/games. Stagnation is destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    at this point you should read quarter call, which states DF have better player retention than previous modern expansions... and sure they can bend truth there but cant outright lie so that is hard to interpret differently...
    so maybe, just maybe, YOUR opinion of the DF, which Asmongold might share (why on earth would we give a damn?), is not shared with general audience, and the game is indeed doing fine...

as for Asmongold, or others like him, why should we care if they play?
    honestly, i never understood the fascination some morons have with streameers and such, my enjoyment of the game does not depend on them, untill you said so i didnt even know he doesnt play anymore, i play wow bcs I enjoy it, not bcs some youtuber does...
    Earnings calls are heavy PR events. When they say retention was higher than previous expansions at similar points they can use % instead of actual numbers.

Could be a retention rate of 55% over 53% but if maus are down, it's still a decline in overall population.

Never trust earnings calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

God I hope so. might stop his fanboys from coming to the forum every week to suck his dick in public.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    Earnings calls are heavy PR events. When they say retention was higher than previous expansions at similar points they can use % instead of actual numbers.

Could be a retention rate of 55% over 53% but if maus are down, it's still a decline in overall population.

Never trust earnings calls.
    Tell me you never invested in stocks without telling me you never invested in stocks.

You are liable if you lie, better retention rate means a higher % of people that bought the expansion are still playing compared to BFA/SL, nothing more nothing less. This is also the only data point that is interesting to an investor, was the extra money put into wow worth it? Yes? No? Better retention would signal that yes, it was worth, similar retention would tell you that no, keep putting in minimal resources

Sadly not. He's not going to play the game anymore, but he's still going to shit on/rant about it everyday. It's all he does to the point of being unpleasant.

He's 100% going to stream retail tomorrow for the drops tho.

Now you made me check his armoury. He is 416, cleared most m+ at 20 something and 2/8 mythic. I’d say he has played DF alot? And I’m assuming he has more chars than that as well so?

He's quit gaming and gone into a react bro phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "WoW is Dying/Dead" type threads don't tend to produce much in the way of constructive discussion or debate. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead