Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Possibly because metal already requires commitment to get into beyond just getting your toes wet.
    Good point. I guess other genres that take a similar amount of commitment like jazz are also more organized than most others. Still, and it might just be my lack of exposure, but metal seems to stand out even beyond that. Maybe because it's a genre that is not immediately acceptable to most people. The average person probably won't be bothered if someone around them puts on jazz, but with metal it's usually a different matter.

King Gizz does thrash:

I do a lot of legwork in keeping up with new releases and catalog them on Sput, otherwise it's an absolutely terrible website.
    My usual flowchart of keeping up with releases is: Check my RYM calendar>check my bandcamp feed>mailing lists>friends/discord servers announcing releases>going to RYM's metal charts and ctrl+F'ing the current month and going page by page taking down the new releases
    Keep up with what I'm rating here and my last.fm here

Newly released Wormwitch album sounds friggin great

In all seriousness, the defacement of a general-use forum thread into a newsfeed seems particularly incomprehensible. But I'm too old to indulge in tilting at windmills anymore, I ought to settle for subservience:
    1. Svalblod - Im Wald.
    2. Darchon - Οἰωνός.
    3. Desrealización - Claristorio.

Dude. Seriously, knock it off.

You read like an edgy 18 year old trying to show how kvlt he is.

Repeat after me: There are no casual listeners of black metal

That whole 'blacker than thou' attitude is getting more aggravating with each passing post.
    Aggressively preposterous to suggest that everyone listens to music in the same way: no differentiation, no idiosyncrasies, no gradients. Much to your dismay, "casual" is both a qualitative attribute and a (deliberately imprecise) quantifier; and from an otherwise excusable equivocation you regurgitate an egalitarian crusade projecting your insecurities unceremoniously. Considering that a very conservative estimate of 50% of the fresh black metal releases are available on Bandcamp, the equality of opportunity is overabundant hence your "kvlt" allegation is a non sequitur. Speaking of which, black metal has stopped being kvlt roughly two decades ago as the crushingly wide adoption of the internet has obliterated that aspect of it: aeons past, listening to black was a question of who you knew as physical media (cassettes) were physically exchanged between parties. Gaining access to the cult of initiates was equivalent to gaining access to the music itself. The lexical pauperism aside, your buffoonery is misplaced and purposeless. Don't you have anything better to do?

Quote Originally Posted by tlitd View Post
    In all seriousness, the defacement of a general-use forum thread into a newsfeed seems particularly incomprehensible. But I'm too old to indulge in tilting at windmills anymore, I ought to settle for subservience:
    1. Svalblod - Im Wald.
    2. Darchon - Οἰωνός.
    3. Desrealización - Claristorio.

Aggressively preposterous to suggest that everyone listens to music in the same way: no differentiation, no idiosyncrasies, no gradients. Much to your dismay, "casual" is both a qualitative attribute and a (deliberately imprecise) quantifier; and from an otherwise excusable equivocation you regurgitate an egalitarian crusade projecting your insecurities unceremoniously. Considering that a very conservative estimate of 50% of the fresh black metal releases are available on Bandcamp, the equality of opportunity is overabundant hence your "kvlt" allegation is a non sequitur. Speaking of which, black metal has stopped being kvlt roughly two decades ago as the crushingly wide adoption of the internet has obliterated that aspect of it: aeons past, listening to black was a question of who you knew as physical media (cassettes) were physically exchanged between parties. Gaining access to the cult of initiates was equivalent to gaining access to the music itself. The lexical pauperism aside, your buffoonery is misplaced and purposeless. Don't you have anything better to do?
    Never stop posting here dude.

Quote Originally Posted by tlitd View Post
    Without having been there I can say that I'm glad that those days are long gone. The "muh sekrit circle" bullshit mentality and vague idea of what is "true" and what isn't only held the art back. A lot of the best black metal comes from bands that did things to the genre that would have been unthinkable in the 90s.

Speaking of which, I got to see one of those bands last sunday. Bosse-de-Nage to be precise. I had to travel a bit to catch them but it was well worth it. It turned out that a friend of mine from the city that I had to travel to was actually doing the sound for them so I got to sit in at the soundcheck and generally experience much more of the pre-concert getting ready and killing time of a band than I ever have. At least in person. I got to talk to Bryan and Drew of Bosse-de-Nage a lot, I got some stuff signed and the guys running the venue had some great posters made for the gig, a few of which I took home and framed. They really do look fantastic.

The crowd was the smallest I've ever seen unfortunately. Only about 20 people showed up. Bosse-de-Nage still put on a great show, exclusively played material off of the last two albums, which is just right for me.

As I'm typing this I also just came home from another short trip to catch another set of bands in Berlin. Bossk, Old Man Gloom and Cave In. I honestly only went there for the Gloom though. Their set was a bit of a mixed bag. They basically didn't play any of the stuff I really wanted to hear aside from Simia Dei and Gift but they played some better stuff in the second half at least and the mood was generally good. They also played a song off of their new album that sounded really good. Quite different from their other stuff but very intense, still. I also managed to have a short chat with the man, Aaron Turner, himself and got my ticket signed by him. They had a nice surprise at the end of the set too when they played a surprise Zozobra mini set.

New Possessed after almost 35 years

It's nice to see the actual granddaddies of death metal still shredding, even if my hopes aren't very high up, this is still decent. Seven Churches still is one of my favorite metal albums ever.

Last edited by hellhamster; 2019-04-13 at 09:56 AM.

I am a music lover, but metal is a special kind of music. I love to listen to him when I walk on the street in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by daem View Post
    Newly released Wormwitch album sounds friggin great
    I liked this album a lot as well. Never heard of them before.

- - - Updated - - -

--snip--
    Thanks for the link, that was amazing. I heard some old Immortal in there. Gotta give it a few more spins.

Some stuff I recently been listening to (nothing too exciting):

There was also a new Waldgefluster (meh-ish) and Nordjevel (pretty decent).
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2019-04-13 at 08:16 PM.

That new Waldgeflüster album really was a snoozefest. What a shame, the previous one was surprisingly good.

Amon Amarth - Berserker
    pretty good imo
    "Ahhh ahhhhh, ahhh, yeah, ahhhh, YEAH, YEAH, RIGHT THERE, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh" Jenna Jameson

New Gloryhammer! Because cheese is essential to any proper diet.

Also Angus McFife has grown a beard and is Thor now, I guess.

Last edited by Cidzor; 2019-04-14 at 08:45 PM.

Their style is amazing and I really dig all the makeup and armor they have set up. Plus their movie Dark Floors while being extremely cheesy it's so much better than a lot of "serious" horror movies out there.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    New Possessed after almost 35 years

It's nice to see the actual granddaddies of death metal still shredding, even if my hopes aren't very high up, this is still decent. Seven Churches still is one of my favorite metal albums ever.
    More like granddaddy. It's pretty much an entirely new line up. Which also is way less interesting and frankly, the Nuclear Blast guys should be grounded for life for giving Possessed such a shit modern metal sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Without having been there I can say that I'm glad that those days are long gone. The "muh sekrit circle" bullshit mentality and vague idea of what is "true" and what isn't only held the art back. A lot of the best black metal comes from bands that did things to the genre that would have been unthinkable in the 90s.
    I have been there and still am glad those days are gone. It stopped metal from being a 'local' scene and transformed it into something worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Good point. I guess other genres that take a similar amount of commitment like jazz are also more organized than most others. Still, and it might just be my lack of exposure, but metal seems to stand out even beyond that. Maybe because it's a genre that is not immediately acceptable to most people. The average person probably won't be bothered if someone around them puts on jazz, but with metal it's usually a different matter.
    Don't know about that. Working in construction, I sometimes play Extreme Metal in the background, and most people seem to be ok with that, but that one time I was listening to some random Jazz channel on the radio, every single person that entered the room looked at me like I had lost my mind.

Especially in the younger generations. Most people younger than 30 probably knew multiple people being into Metal when they were growing up, so even if they never actively listened to it themselves, they were probably exposed to it anyway. With the internet becoming something everybody had access to in the 2000s, Metal became A LOT more mainstream than it would have been in the 90s. The amount of people in the same agegroup listening to any kind of Jazz would be significantly lower, and pretty much limited to people who are musicians themselves.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Don't know about that. Working in construction, I sometimes play Extreme Metal in the background, and most people seem to be ok with that, but that one time I was listening to some random Jazz channel on the radio, every single person that entered the room looked at me like I had lost my mind.

Especially in the younger generations. Most people younger than 30 probably knew multiple people being into Metal when they were growing up, so even if they never actively listened to it themselves, they were probably exposed to it anyway. With the internet becoming something everybody had access to in the 2000s, Metal became A LOT more mainstream than it would have been in the 90s. The amount of people in the same agegroup listening to any kind of Jazz would be significantly lower, and pretty much limited to people who are musicians themselves.
    I can't vouch for how tolerant people around me are to listening to jazz since I don't really listen to jazz either but at least with metal I would say the vast majority of people that I've met would prefer if they weren't exposed to it even if they can deal with it. It's hard to make any general statements about this though since I feel like even something like cultural background can already influence this a lot. Meaning, from my impression people from the anglosphere are more likely to enjoy metal or be open towards it at the very least.

Metal in general is definitely a lot more mainstream and accepted than jazz.