Interview with the Blood Elf

(Interview performed by Zaga Oilspatter, Kezan News)

ZO: So let's just start with the basics. What is your full name?

MD: My name is Vermiliel Mauritius Dawnguardian, but please call me Mauritius.

ZO: Sure thing, Maur. Where and when were you born?

MD: I was born in Silvermoon City, Quel'Thalas, 119 years before the orcs first crossed the dark portal. I've never really bothered to learn the Horde's calendar.

ZO: Tell us about your parents.

MD: They've both passed, sadly. They died during Arthas's invasion of Silvermoon. My father, Talmiel, was a miner, and my mother, Sallia, was a seamstress.

ZO: That's sad to hear. Do you have any siblings? What are they like?

MD: I have a younger sister, Dalanar. She stills counts herself a High Elf among the Alliance. We haven't spoken in ages.

ZO: Where do you live now, and with whom? Describe the place and the people.

MD: I live by myself in Silvermoon City, though truth be told, I spend more time at the Guildhall than at home.

ZO: What is your occupation?

MD: I am the owner of the Dawnguardian Earthworks. We're a mining company that also deals in blacksmithing and jewelcrafting. Pretty much any hard thing that comes from the ground, we can shape for you. I'm also the Knight-Lord of the Crimson Brotherhood.

ZO: For those reading this at home, can you describe yourself?

MD: Certainly. I stand 5'7", weight 121 lb, I have fair skin, long straight black hair, and the glowing green eyes common to my race. I do have a few scars, and I have two tattoos. One on my left shoulder of the Icon of the Horde, and one on my right of the Signet of the Crimson Brotherhood.

ZO: I'm unfamiliar with Blood Elven society. To which social class do you belong?

MD: Social class has largely disappeared since Silvermoon was destroyed. Before Arthas came, however, the Dawnguardian family was a well respected name, though we weren't part of the upper crust.

ZO: Do you have any allergies, diseases, or other physical weaknesses?

MD: Aside from a slowly abating addiction to Arcane Magic? Not to my knowledge.

ZO: Are you right- or left-handed?

MD: Right.

ZO: Again, for those reading this at home, what does your voice sound like?

MD: (laughs) How do I describe this? Well, I guess my voice is deep for a Blood Elf, but not strikingly so. I have a natural Thalassian accent that shows through no matter what language I am speaking, but I think I do a fairly good Zandali accent as well.

ZO: What words or phrases do you use very frequently?

MD: Well, I am a devotee of the Holy Light, so I suppose I use "By the Light" on a regular basis. Also, because he's such a strange person, I seem to be asking my second in command, Grustabeerg, what he's doing quite often. He's a Troll and a witch doctor, and he's always chanting or dancing for some reason or another.

ZO: What do you have in your pockets?

MD: Well let's see. I have a few miscellaneous coins, and a mana gem. It's there for comfort, largely.

ZO: Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?

MD: Hmm...I don't really think so. You might ask my guild brothers, though. One rarely notices their own idiosyncrasies.

ZO: Let's talk a bit about you growing up. How would you describe your childhood in general?

MD: It was a pretty happy childhood. Playing in the woods, swimming in the Elrendar River. Playing games with my friend. Quel'Thalas was pretty idyllic back in those days.

ZO: What is your earliest memory?

MD: You realize that I'm 146 years old? Let's see...my earliest memory. When I was 18, I tried hunting on my own for the first time. I've always been terrible with the bow, almost as bad as an untrained Human. Well, I ended up accidentally sticking myself with a sleep enchanted arrow. It was 2 days before I came to. Needless to say, I haven't been hunting since.

ZO: How much schooling have you had?

MD: Much. I've studied the Holy Light and it's applications all my life. I've studied Arcane Theory, though I have no skill in it myself. Obviously I've studied mathematics and language. I'm fluent in Thalassian, Common, and Orcish, and I'm becoming fairly proficient in Zandali, though Grustabeerg is not always the most informative of teachers.

ZO: Did you enjoy school?

MD: Immensely. Education is very important to me, and I'm always looking out for something new to learn.

ZO: Where did you learn most of your skills and other abilities?

MD: My father taught me about mining, and I apprenticed as a blacksmith under Faralen Swiftrunner. I always had an eye for gemcutting. As far as being a Paladin, the Dawnguardian family has always been one of the few High Elven families devoted to the Holy Light, so I went to church every week growing up. I always found it rather passive, though, so when Uther founded the Knights of the Silver Hand, I journeyed to Lordaeron to study with him and the others.

ZO: While growing up, did you have any role models? If so, describe them.

MD: I wouldn't say I had any role models as a child, although I respected many people. If I had to choose, though, I'd say both Uther the Lightbringer and Tirion Fordring are my role models. I've never met anyone with more passion and dedication than Uther, and Tirion's zeal is legendary.

ZO: While growing up, how did you get along with the other members of your family?

MD: As well as a family usually gets along. There were arguments, of course, but I loved them all.

ZO: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

MD: (laughs) An Archmage, if you can believe that. I have practically no skill with arcane magic, though.

ZO: As a child, what were your favorite activities?

MD: I guess the same as any other child. I liked playing in the woods, swimming, pestering people.

ZO: Have you always acted as you do now?

MD: Pretty much, although I was a bit sillier when I was younger.

ZO: As a child, were you popular? Who were your friends, and what were they like?

MD: Hmm...I don't think I was unpopular but I wouldn't say I was popular. I had a few good friends, though none of them had any interest in the Light, so our studies took us to different places.

ZO: When and with whom was your first kiss?

MD: Alleria Swiftrunner. She was the daughter of Faralen, and I fell in love with her the first time I laid eyes on her.

ZO: Are you a virgin? If not, when and with whom did you lose your virginity?

MD: Oh, my. Is this entirely appropriate? I was married, and it happened on our wedding night. Is that good enough?

ZO: Describe any influences in your past that led you to do the things you do today.

MD: Arthas destroying Silvermoon is probably the biggest influence for my behavior over the past few years. Now that he's gone, I feel like I can start my life over.

ZO: What do you consider the most important event of your life so far?

MD: Arthas destroying Silvermoon. Not a good thing by a long shot, but the most important.

ZO: Who has had the most influence on you?

MD: Alleria. I suppose any man's wife has an inordinate amount of influence on him.

ZO: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

MD: Building up the Crimson Brotherhood into what it is today.

ZO: What is your greatest regret?

MD: That I was in Stormwind when Arthas attacked Silvermoon, and that I couldn't be there to save my wife and daughter.

ZO: What is the most evil thing you have ever done?

MD: Oh boy...after Silvermoon was destroyed, I joined up with the Scarlet Crusade for a time. One day, a few of us were cleaning out a nest of Scourge, when the reanimated corpse of Alleria came shambling my way. I was frozen in shock. Here was my wife, beautiful even through the rot, headed toward me. One of the other Scarlets moved to attack her, and I defended her. I killed him right there, and then killed my wife for a second time. I left the Crusade after that...Can we take a break?

ZO: Certainly, take all the time you need.

(about 15 minutes pass)

ZO: Feeling better?

MD: Much, thank you.

ZO: There are still quite a few questions left, do you feel up to continuing?

MD: Yeah, I have to finish what I started, right?

ZO: Okay, when was the time you were the most frightened?

MD: When I was in Stormwind, and heard that Arthas had attacked Silvermoon.

ZO: What is the most embarrassing thing ever to happen to you?

MD: Embarrassing? Hmm...I once agreed to participate in one of Grustabeerg's experiments, not knowing that there would be an audience and that I'd have to be naked.

ZO: If you could change one thing from your past, what would it be, and why?

MD: Wow, I'm starting to sound like a parrot, aren't I? I'd stop Arthas from invading Silvermoon, however I could.

ZO: What is your best memory?

MD: The first time I came home to see both my wife and daughter waiting for me.

ZO: And your worst?

MD: Having that family ripped away.

ZO: Alright, let's talk about your beliefs. Are you basically optimistic or pessimistic?

MD: Realistic.

ZO: What is your greatest fear?

MD: Being alone. Not just being by myelf, but being alone socially.

ZO: What are your religious views?

MD: I'm a Paladin.

ZO: What are your political views?

MD: I support Lor'Themar Theron. Kael'Thas became a disgrace to us all, and Lor'Themar has done much more than he has had to to keep us running smoothly. He deserves to be made King instead of Regent, Sunstrider or not.

ZO: What are your views on sex?

MD: Its something to share with someone you truly love. Although I don't find casual sex distasteful, I think sex means more.

ZO: Are you able to kill? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable?

MD: I kill to defend myself and my companions. That is the only acceptable circumstance.

ZO: In your opinion, what is the most evil thing any human being could do?

MD: Betrayal. Betrayal has led to more tragedy than any other action.

ZO: Do you believe in the existence of soul mates and/or true love?

MD: I do.

ZO: What do you believe makes a successful life?

MD: Doing what you love. When others see your zeal, it heartens them.

ZO: How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings? Do you hide your true self from others, and in what way?

MD: I make an effort to always be honest about everything. I am as you see me; a man once broken, now recovering as best he can.

ZO: Do you have any biases or prejudices?

MD: I can't place it, but there's just something I don't like about Draenei. They give me a strange vibe.

ZO: Is there anything you absolutely refuse to do under any circumstances? Why do you refuse to do it?

MD: I would die before I would betray those I care about or cause any harm to a child. These are cores of behavior.

ZO: Who or what, if anything, would you die for?

MD: My family, which pretty much only consists of my guild brothers.

ZO: Alright, let's talk about the other people in your life. In general, how do you treat others? Does your treatment of them change depending on how well you know them, and if so, how?

MD: I always treat people with an initial neutral amount of respect. Your actions from then on determine how I treat you. I won't treat you better just because you're important. I will treat you better if you are actually a good person.

ZO: Who is the most important person in your life, and why?

MD: Alleria. If I could go back and give my life to save hers, I would.

ZO: Who is the person you respect the most, and why?

MD: Uther. I try every day to cultivate even a fraction of the compassion that he had.

ZO: Who are your friends? Do you have a best friend?

MD: I have a few, mostly my guild brothers. I'd have to say that I'm closest to Grustabeerg, though. He's a Troll, which makes things a bit awkward. Our people have been at war for millenia. But he was the first to come forward and join the Crimson Brotherhood, and he's been a steadfast ally in the face of more danger than I care to recall.

ZO: Do you have a spouse or significant other?

MD: Only Alleria. I haven't exactly been in the proper frame of mind to find another love since her death.

ZO: What do you look for in a potential lover?

MD: Passion and intelligence. If you can't love your work or hobby, then how can you love me?

ZO: How close are you to your family?

MD: Not very. The only surviving member of the Dawnguardian family, to my knowledge, is my sister, and I haven't spoken to her in ages.

ZO: Do you think that you will be able to start your own family in the future?

MD: Its a possibility. I'm still picking up the pieces of my former life, but everything is getting better one day at a time.

ZO: Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help?

MD: My guild brothers.

ZO: Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why?

MD: My guild brothers.

ZO: If you died or went missing, who would miss you?

MD: (laughs) Looks like that parrot is back. I'd like to say that my guild brothers would miss me, but they might just enjoy the freedom of me being gone.

ZO: Who is the person you despise the most, and why?

MD: The late Prince Arthas Menethil, for obvious reasons. The late Prince Kael'Thas Sunstrider ranks up there as well.

ZO: Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?

MD: I only argue when I'm right.

ZO: Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?

MD: Usually, yes.

ZO: Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?

MD: I do. Organizing large events is a lot of fun.

ZO: Do you care what others think of you?

MD: To a degree. I care what my guild brothers think of me, and how the people I respect view me. Anyone else, though, can think what they want.

ZO: Alright, let's move on to your likes and dislikes. What are your favorite hobbies and pastimes?

MD: I love to read. In fact, I've been reading a book about the Troll Wars from the perspective of a troll that disagrees with the whole thing. Fascinating. I also enjoy practicing my swordsmanship and I've been working a lot with homebrewing. I hope to be able to showcase a beer at the next Brewfest.

ZO: What is your most treasured possession?

MD: My wedding ring. I made them myself, and I still wear it every day.

ZO: What is your favorite color?

MD: Crimson and Bronze. They go so well together.

ZO: What is your favorite food?

MD: Braised Springpaw in a Snowplum reduction from the Sunwell restaurant in the Royal Exchange of Silvermoon. Absolutely delicious, if a bit pricey.

ZO: What do you like to read?

MD: Oh, anything really. Histories and alternate histories are my favorites, though.

ZO: What is your idea of good entertainment?

MD: I love a good concert. The Tauren Chieftans stay in Silvermoon when they aren't touring, and occasionally they'll come down to the Mana Tap, my local bar, and play a few songs. Also, though it never happens anymore, Sylvanas Windrunner used to put on the occasional show when she wasn't busy with Ranger business. Since she's...well, you know...she doesn't do that anymore.

ZO: Do you smoke, drink, or use drugs?

MD: I drink socially, and I occasionally will smoke Bloodthistle.

ZO: How do you spend a typical Saturday night?

MD: Honestly? At home, with a glass of red wine and a book.

ZO: What makes you laugh?

MD: I have a very black sense of humor. I've experienced a lot of death, so I've learned to find the humor in it, however inappropriate.

ZO: What, if anything, shocks or offends you?

MD: Not much, really. As long as it isn't detrimental, people can do what they want.

ZO: What would you do if you had insomnia and had to find something to do to amuse yourself?

MD: Read.

ZO: How do you deal with stress?

MD: I used to withdraw. I'm trying to start throwing myself into charitable work, though.

ZO: Are you spontaneous, or do you always need to have a plan?

MD: Both. I like to spontaneously form a plan.

ZO: What are your pet peeves?

MD: Loud people. I swear, some people think the whole world is deaf.

ZO: Describe the routine of a normal day for you. How do you feel when this routine is disrupted?

MD: It's usually wake up, eat breakfast, check on the shop, check guild business, and then go my merry way. Owning the shop lets me have others run it, so I tend to have a lot of free time. It's hard to disrupt free time.

ZO: What is your greatest strength as a person?

MD: I'd say it's that I'm very dedicated, and that if I start something I have to finish it.

ZO: What is your greatest weakness?

MD: You know, I'm going to have to give the same answer here.

ZO: If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

MD: Physically or mentally? Physically I'd have to say I'd like to be a couple inches taller. Mentally, I'd like to be able to cope with stress better.

ZO: Are you generally introverted or extroverted?

MD: Honestly, I'm not sure. I do things for the community, but I also look to my own wants first.

ZO: Are you generally organized or messy?

MD: Running a business and a guild demands that I be organized. My room at home is a disaster zone, though.

ZO: Name three things you consider yourself to be very good at, and three things you consider yourself to be very bad at.

MD: Hmm...I'm good at my swordsmanship, my work, and dancing. I love to dance. I'm bad at dealing with difficult people, hiding my emotions, and arcane magic.

ZO: Do you like yourself?

MD: More than I have in the past, yes.

ZO: What are your reasons for being an adventurer?

MD: To help those who need it. Vengeance used to be a big part of it, too.

ZO: What goal do you most want to accomplish in your lifetime?

MD: I just want to be remembered in a positive light.

ZO: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

MD: Still in Silvermoon. Maybe on my way to starting another family.

ZO: If you could choose, how would you want to die?

MD: Defending those I love.

ZO: If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, name three things you would do in the time you had left.

MD: Oh man. I'd give Grustabeerg control of my estate, I'd order drinks for the whole bar at the Mana Tap, and I think I'd try to get in touch with my sister. You know, I think I'm going to try to get in touch with her after this interview.

ZO: What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?

MD: Being a noble and honorable person.

ZO: What three words best describe your personality?

MD: Determined, Steadfast, Honorable

ZO: What three words would others probably use to describe you?

MD: Well, anyone who's known me over the years would probably say that I'm vengeful, singleminded, and clinically depressed. (laughs)

ZO: Alright, that about wraps it up. Thank you for your time.

MD: Absolutely. Let me know if you ever need to do this again.

ZO: I sure will. Bye!
    My allies are my sword; I am their shield.

I took part in the RP Invasion, May 15, 2010

Re: Interview with the Blood Elf

nice read, whilst waiting for peopel to vote on the US server name/theme ;D

grrrah! I want to get Morzy finished so bad!

Thanks. I've been working on Maur's backstory for around 2 years now.

And damn, I didn't realize how big that post was until just now. ^_^

10+ Year Old Account

Sitting in his innroom-turned-laboratory, Orthius was reading the Kezan news. he came across an interview with a respected blood elf.
    After reading it, he thought, "what an interesting life he must lead. It warms what is left of my heart to see people cope with such horrors in their lives."
    he looked up at the ceiling, pondering on whether he had not lead as truly a diasastrous life as he had first thought

((love it, very detailed, very informative. Will you be joining the other role plays too?))
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarella View Post
    My my, you really are caught between a roc and a hard plaice.
    Salm one may try to take advantage of your fishy tale and carp on needlessly, but dont let them lead you to a red herring!

Basst to simply ask the top rogues on your server, or look up their specs.

Good luck!
    From the thread 'Poisson question'

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod
    well, you did a good job
    ^_^ Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orthius
    Sitting in his innroom-turned-laboratory, Orthius was reading the Kezan news. he came across an interview with a respected blood elf.
    After reading it, he thought, "what an interesting life he must lead. It warms what is left of my heart to see people cope with such horrors in their lives."
    he looked up at the ceiling, pondering on whether he had not lead as truly a diasastrous life as he had first thought

((love it, very detailed, very informative. Will you be joining the other role plays too?))
    I sure will. Just wanted to get a bit of background info up before I dive in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Vermiliel Mauritius Dawnguardian
    ^_^ Thanks
    I sure will. Just wanted to get a bit of background info up before I dive in.
    Good idea! why not send VJ a copy of the Q, and A so he can sticky it, and have more people post like this!

Through the Roof 'n' Underground. It's the only way to go my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by High-Priest Gallian Wyrmfoot
    Good idea! why not send VJ a copy of the Q, and A so he can sticky it, and have more people post like this!
    Oh, man. Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Vermiliel Mauritius Dawnguardian
    (Interview performed by Zaga Oilspatter, Kezan News)
    ZO: What are your political views?

MD: I support Lor'Themar Theron. Kael'Thas became a disgrace to us all, and Lor'Themar has done much more than he has had to to keep us running smoothly. He deserves to be made King instead of Regent, Sunstrider or not.
    ((About time! good read though this is probably the most important thing :P))
    I started the Book of Faces moving
    Was involved in the RP Invasion

/Brofisting Vol'Jin