Interesting read, thanks

Deleted
    the first login screen for cataclysm
    http://www.wowpedia.org/images/c/ce/...on_concept.jpg

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimakos View Post
    Looks much better than the roaring chinwing.

Anyway, I'll try to contribute to this topic:

- back in vanilla and TBC mounts had 2,5 seconds cast time
    - Tyr's Hand was one of the best places to farm
    - casters used to have Wand Specialization in some of their trees (Priests had it in Discipline)
    - Prayer of Spirit, priest only spell which increased spirit was removed from the game when cata was launched. Back in vanilla last tier talent for priests was this spell before it was changed to Power Infusion and moved lower to the tree
    - preparation for rogues used to reset ALL rogue cooldowns
    - Power Infusion used to provide magic damage increase instead of Spell Haste
    -

Deleted
    Wow, alot of that stuff from alpha actually did look better :\ Anyone else think the human males looked slightly better?

Deleted
    Great thread, thanks. Really enjoyed it and I learned a lot!

Deleted
    I didn't read the whole thread but I got a least a few things that I didn't see in the first post.

In Vanilla Warriors could use Sweeping Strikes together with Execute, which would use up all available rage and convert it into damage that would result in one-shooting people that stood next to the person that got executed.

Berserker Rage used to only be usable in Berserker Stance but Warriors could change stance while feared to use it even if they were in the wrong stance.

If you would queue for a battleground on your lowlevel alt and then relog and queue on your maxlevel main character you could end up in a lowbie battleground on your maxlevel character. I belive this worked sometime in TBC.

In the same patch as they introduced Titans Grip Warriors could equip two Two-handers and then respec to Arms for Bladestorm with two Two-handers, sadly you couldn't keep it if you changed zone so it wasn't usable in battlegrounds/arena or instances/raids.
    Last edited by mmoc4cffa12a1a; 2012-04-04 at 12:55 AM.

All the way until Wrath, Shaman could only drop one totem at a time.

In the burning crusade, Windfury totem cast a 10 second windfury buff on players. Experienced shaman found a mini-exploit for this called "Totem Twisting" where the shaman would drop windfury, give everyone the 10 second buff, them drop grace of air for the agility buff for 9 seconds.

Also, before one of the early bosses in AQ20 there was a few hundred foot drop your raid would have to make into the water. Shaman would cast water walking on people as players jumped to their demise.

Duels outside of ironforge is how people learned to pvp.

Warriors & Hunters in blues could kill rogues in epics.

All this talk about how WoW used to be makes me really yearn to play a new game so I can have experiences like this again. Sad thing is, WoW has risen our expectations of what MMOs SHOULD be like, and now we're only chasing nostalgia.

---------- Post added 2012-04-04 at 07:33 AM ----------

Leveling up casters meant hunting the auction house for "of fiery wrath" or "of frozen wrath" or "of shadowy wrath" gear and decking out your level 45 mage or lock with +300-400 spell damage. Seen level 45 frost mages own 60 MC rogues, seen level 45 warlocks own 60 BWL ferals.

Hunters used agility & spirit gear for leveling for faster mana regen. Your pets stamina was not dependent on your own.

This video, along with Unbreakable (60 Hand of Rag shaman) and Pat (60 HWL Warrior) and Roguecraft was among the most popular videos in Vanilla
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5mD1n4v2JA

Quote Originally Posted by Super Awesome Mojo View Post
    very very interesting where did u find this?[COLOR="red"]
    Maybe he just made it? 90% of this stuff was common knowledge back in vanilla.

Very interesting

Some of that info brought back so many memories especially the ones about hunters

Deleted
    Ohhhh tnx God, tomorrow is saturday so I can read it all with calm and relax but Ive already seen many, many interesting points, great thread and also memories.

Very good job, tnx.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love this thread.

That is one grandaddy of a post!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still stunned that some people can go years playing and still think one can't eat and drink at the same time.

In Vanilla, if a Hunter named his pet the same as a player, the basic damage meters like Recount would combine the pet's damage with the player's. In addition to this, many raids would use addons which would announce when a tank has died. If a Hunter named his pet the same as a tank and killed it off, the addons would pick it up and announce the tank as being dead. This was most fun in Molten Core, as a Hunter could simply send his pet into the lava to die quickly and make his raid freak out.

In addition, Recount and other meters were notoriously unreliable in Vanilla; they used a private chat channel to sync up logs in hopes of gaining consensus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chouzan View Post
    In Vanilla, if a Hunter named his pet the same as a player, the basic damage meters like Recount would combine the pet's damage with the player's. In addition to this, many raids would use addons which would announce when a tank has died. If a Hunter named his pet the same as a tank and killed it off, the addons would pick it up and announce the tank as being dead. This was most fun in Molten Core, as a Hunter could simply send his pet into the lava to die quickly and make his raid freak out.

In addition, Recount and other meters were notoriously unreliable in Vanilla; they used a private chat channel to sync up logs in hopes of gaining consensus.
    Heh now that I didn't know about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimakos View Post
    For the record, that was not the first login screen, that was one of several concept art screens that they had come up with. They ditched it because it lacked any real connection to Deathwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

this is a really good post brings back some good memories.

Below Dun Morogh and above Elwynn Forest there was an unclickable and completely empty area. Before Cataclysm was released, Blizzard intended this to be the area from where Deathwing would enter Azeroth from Deepholm, but shortly before the release they decided Deathwing would enter from the Maelstrom instead. Today this area is just filled with water.
    This one is True somone dropped me through the map there somehow (i'm assuming with hacks) and its just water

10+ Year Old Account
    All I have to say is Wow, my eyes are sore.

I read every last one of those and watched all the movies (Wowcrendor's Ony attunement was by far the best). There was a lot of stuff in there I had no clue about, very, very interesting stuff, thank for putting what must have taken you a substantial amount of time into this.

10+ Year Old Account
    read the whole thing over a span of 3 days..phew.

I didnt see the the names of the stormwind bankers.

"Olivia Burnside, Newton Burnside, and John Burnside — and put them together, you get Olivia Newton John"