Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Well, at least we know Romo can pick apart our backups at corner and patchwork d-line. That game was aggravating, not a stunning start to a title defense season.
    Here we go. Why is it that none of that mattered before the game (you we're gonna beat us easily), but after the game it's suddenly a viable excuse? (not saying you specifically, but Giants fans in general.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Here we go. Why is it that none of that mattered before the game (you we're gonna beat us easily), but after the game it's suddenly a viable excuse? (not saying you specifically, but Giants fans in general.)
    Kinda the usual thing, is'nt it? Before the game, everybody's gonna kick everybody's ass, if the team wins, the other team sucked. If the team loses, there's a million reasons why, most often injuries or bad luck.

I mean, the Cowboys cannot possibly just have been the better team, right? It was all because the Cowboys exclusively had starters playing and the Giants had like.. 2 or 3 of them total or something, right? Oh, and I bet also Eli Manning was just saving his strenght because this game meant nothing anyways, right? Oh, and also, it's quite clear that the Cowboys will go 1-7 by mid season anyways, right, so why should the 'G-men' play this game anyways, right..?

But had the Cowboys LOST... OH BOY THEY'D HAVE SUCKED LOL OMG!

- In all seriousness, an amazing game. Great win by the Cowboys, they played better and overcame their penalties. Good game from the Giants too, it's gonna be an awesome season. GO COWBOYS! =)

Yea I actually said no such thing. It was a fairly poorly played game by both teams. You really can't deny that Romo went after our fifth corner for a few of the biggest plays of the game. Which is exactly what you are supposed to do. Let's just not pretend it was an impressive win. Romo played about as well as he's ever going to play and they still came within a play of handing the ball back to Eli with two minutes left. And the Giants looked like dogshit.

Oh, and we'll have the conversation about who the better team is in January.
    Last edited by buck008; 2012-09-06 at 07:10 AM.

Romo has always done well against the Giants really. Just last season in that must win game he had 289 Yds 2 TD 1 INT 78% Completion and 106 QBR. But since they lost that game Romo sucks, hes not clutch. Now Romo puts up a very similar albeit slightly better game and they win and its OMG Romo is pretty good. Too much gets put on QBs for wins and losses. There are some QBs that get too much credit and some that get too much blame, both just so happened to be playing last night.

Anyways I predicted the game wrong but it does help to my overall prediction of Dallas winding up as a superior team, only time will tell but I was pleased with the effort they put out later in that game versus how poor they looked early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Psh. Claiborne is getting beat easily. Rather have an aging Newman back.
    Newman was probably the worst starting cb in the league last year. OK...might be a bit of a stretch but when BEAR PASCOE jumps over you and coverts a critical first down everyone will start hating (idk if you remember it was from last years giants/cowboys game). I thought the secondary played pretty decent, Claiborne is a rookie there will be some growing pains.

I am more concerned with the O line. After a year of watching Romo run for his life while trying to throw the ball that was snapped somewhere 3 feet above his head, the first half atleast wasn't very confidence inducing. JPP is a beast though will be interesting to see what happens against Seattle. Hopefully Bill Callahan can get things sorted out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    No but there will be a team in Europe (almost certainly London) by 2020. Grats on getting MNF. Ungrats on having to listen to Gruden unendingly suck everyones dicks.
    I can listen to Gruden.

I'd rather not listen to Gruden and wish he'd go back to coaching Oakland, but that's not going to happen so I'll make do with listening to him.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I actually said no such thing. It was a fairly poorly played game by both teams. You really can't deny that Romo went after our fifth corner for a few of the biggest plays of the game. Which is exactly what you are supposed to do. Let's just not pretend it was an impressive win. Romo played about as well as he's ever going to play and they still came within a play of handing the ball back to Eli with two minutes left. And the Giants looked like dogshit.

Oh, and we'll have the conversation about who the better team is in January.
    Why wait? As of right now the better team is the Cowboys! ;D

Why wait? As of right now the better team is the Cowboys! ;D
    Hahaha. Mostly because a week one loss is recoverable, and most reasonable Giants fans assume a split with the Cowboys anyway. We'll talk again in January when Romo's numbers go into the tank. You better be worried about those penalties. That wasn't a case of the replacement refs being whistle happy, either.

I'll go into panic mode if the Giants still look like this in a couple weeks, for now I think it was just a rocky start to the season. As I said earlier, they always screw up when they are heavy favorites. One thing Coughlin's Giants have never been is consistent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha. Mostly because a week one loss is recoverable, and most reasonable Giants fans assume a split with the Cowboys anyway. We'll talk again in January when Romo's numbers go into the tank. You better be worried about those penalties. That wasn't a case of the replacement refs being whistle happy, either.
    Like college, best to lose early. Though in college's case it's more about the rankings, but still.

Art Modell is dead at 87 http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/sp...pagewanted=all

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...module=HP11_cp

Big write-up for Russell Wilson.

Figure I'll express my thoughts on him because I haven't much. I wasn't buying into Russell having a huge shot at the start of off season. I thought the experience that Flynn had behind Aaron Rodgers would at least carry him through this season. After actually seeing him play and throw the ball the first preseason game I realized why there was still a competition. I still kinda doubted him having a chance but I would of been happy either way it went.

I'm pretty hyped to see him play an entire game. I feel like I have to see this happen before I say how he will do against other rookies. Right now I feel like he will do very well against them. There is a reason why Andrew Luck and RG3 were picked 1 and 2, its because the teams earned that pick in the draft based on performance(respectively the redskins traded, but still).

One thing I will hate, is when he fucks up twice people will start saying to start Flynn. I don't think Pete is that dumb considering he stood by TJack with people wanting them to start Whitehurst.

---------- Post added 2012-09-06 at 06:18 PM ----------

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...Preseason_half

I know who will like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rodney Harrison called the game "must win"

the first game of the damn season, I guess its a good thing they won, now they can play the other 15 games without them being pointless

I need to make sure and not turn a game on until the instant they're kicking off and avoid such stupid sportstalk

late to the party, but I was out of town, goddamnit Rodney being a patriot made you stupider or something

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I know who will like this.
    Everyone in the world but the owners which is why it won't happen. The owners aren't going to give up two games they charge near premium prices for even though the games are all backups for at least half of them. At least not without getting something back in return.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    The fans. The players on the cusp of being kicked off the team will likely call it bullshit, and I can't disagree with them. Unless they use some other method to determine who stays on your team. Guess what? You don't have to make EVERY decision based on the fans. You know, like your rules on hitting people have changed over the recent years. This is better for the players.

But on the other side of that, you DO have to make those tickets cheaper somehow. Nobody should be willing to pay full price for a preaseson game.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 12:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Rodney Harrison called the game "must win"

the first game of the damn season, I guess its a good thing they won, now they can play the other 15 games without them being pointless

I need to make sure and not turn a game on until the instant they're kicking off and avoid such stupid sportstalk

late to the party, but I was out of town, goddamnit Rodney being a patriot made you stupider or something
    No one on Around The Horn or PTI said it, but there's a reason the Giants won it all last year. The first game doesn't mean shit. It's all about who has the hot hands going in to the playoffs. Rivalry or not, it's just as important as any other game (this all sounds familiar, oh yeah, used the same point for NASCAR).

10+ Year Old Account
    Both teams started off slow in the first half, and the Cowboys dealt with penalties throughout.

We mostly held in check one of the most successful pass rushing D's in the league with a patchwork O-Line and beat the Giants' #1 corner like a stepchild before going after the #4 corner. On that last touchdown, he had help from the safety, anyways.

As for an impressive win?

Romo throws 75% with a 3-1 TD/INT ratio, just over 300 yards, RB puts up 130, 3rd string WR has over 100 yards. We hold Eli to 200 yards w/ 1 TD (on a drive the Cowboys basically conceded in order to burn clock).

That's with the Giants being arguably healthier (Cowboys missing starting NT and C, TE getting medical clearance the day before the game), at home, and defending Super Bowl Champs.

I was impressed =)

Now, in order to get that split, they're going to have to beat them in Dallas.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Simmons wrote an intriguing article about the importance of the quarterback and the 13 that are going to somehow decide this season. My favorite part?

"And no, I'm not including Tony Romo just because he looked good on Wednesday night. You can't make me. I'm betting on Dallas's rug-pooping track record these last 15 years over two good Romo quarters against some third-string DBs. If the Romocoaster comes back to haunt me, so be it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Simmons wrote an intriguing article about the importance of the quarterback and the 13 that are going to somehow decide this season. My favorite part?

"And no, I'm not including Tony Romo just because he looked good on Wednesday night. You can't make me. I'm betting on Dallas's rug-pooping track record these last 15 years over two good Romo quarters against some third-string DBs. If the Romocoaster comes back to haunt me, so be it."
    I've given up on arguing for Romo, but I guess he's right, since it's unlikely that Dallas makes the playoffs, so technically, yes, he won't decide what happens this season.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm generally with Simmons, but he ignores the rest of his career, and... Flacco, Cutler, Schaub, and Ryan? Really?
    indignantgoat.com/

He also has the Seahawks finishing with the best record in the NFC and also beating out the Packers to make the Super Bowl. Then he has the Colts making the playoffs... yes you didnt misread that he has THE 2-14 COLTS in the post season. Plus anyone thats high on Flacco but low on Romo to me is a moron. I like Bill Simmons normally but he should stick to basketball.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    I'm generally with Simmons, but he ignores the rest of his career, and... Flacco, Cutler, Schaub, and Ryan? Really?
    Woah woah Cutler and Ryan are pretty good QBs. Are they top tier? No. But theyre pretty damn good

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn''t take Romo over Alex Smith right now persay... but if the Alex Smith of a few years ago comes back early on, then I am going to hope that something to fix it occurs, not EVERYTHING is on the QB himself, there can be drops of perfect passes etc.

However: Romo is still a better quarterback than some that are starting in the league. Not everything lies with Romo, blame or credit for things that are done. This is why I hate quarterbacks, they get far too much credit for things that go right, and get slammed when things go wrong.

Also, Cutler and Ryan are both good QB's that is for certain, I would place them in the upper third tier of QB's and right there teetering on getting into second.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Woah woah Cutler and Ryan are pretty good QBs. Are they top tier? No. But theyre pretty damn good
    I'm not saying they're bad, just that, based on career and stats, having them ahead of Romo is nuts, and the only way their teams might be more likely to make the playoffs is through being in weaker divisions.
    indignantgoat.com/