Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    To be fair, that division is a joke.
    Yeah, if you put them in the AFC West or something they'd be a lot less awesome -- I mean shit, it was so tough this year that none of the teams had a winning record! that's competition.

Anyways, the superbowl sort of played out as I expected it. After watching NYG show the world that an offense alone doesn't win the playoffs when they went to GB, I had a feeling it would end like this. Hold Brady under 20 points and the game is yours.

Speaking of, wasn't this year supposed to be the one that shamed the phrase "Defense wins championships", with the sheer offensive firepower that was in the playoffs? Well damn.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-02-06 at 07:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, that division is a joke. Take away a couple good years from the Jets, and that division is basically a free pass for the Pats to get into the playoffs every year. Yes, they usually do well once they get to the playoffs, but lets not forget that they were didn't win the AFC Championship Game; the Ravens threw it away. If Lee Evans holds onto that catch, if Harbaugh calls a timeout or if the Ravens actually bothered to cut a kicker that missed half of his kicks on the road this year, the Patriots are watching this Superbowl from their couches.
    And if the Saints didn't turn the ball over eleventy bajillion times in one game....

10+ Year Old Account
    It's almost like Al Davis was allergic to rookies. lol What do the Raiders have this year, 2 picks?
    Fifth and Sixth rounds.

Looks like we're drafting from the University of Mars again this year.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Goochy View Post
    Didn't think it was possible for the Redskins to get any worst. Guess I was wrong.
    I have to say, being a displaced New Yorker in DC is incredibly entertaining. For anyone outside of the DC area, this is how it goes in the papers/radio:
    Redskins win 1-2 games. "This team is SRS BSNS! Big year!"
    Redskins win a third game. "Superbowl bound!"
    Redskins lose a game. "The season is collapsing, sky is falling, AMGNOOOOOO!"
    Redskins lose 3 games. Queue complaining about how miserable the franchise is/always has been, how they'll never be good ever again, Dan Snyder is a prick, there's next year, etc.
    Draft through Preseason. "This team is looking zomgamazing, best evar. Will win the East easy."

Oh, and of course, as with any big city team, there can never, EVER, under any circumstances, be that terrible thing known as a "rebuilding year."

You know your team is in trouble when you cause a quarterback controversy between 2 subpar quarterbacks midseason. I also love how Grossman talked up his team as being amazing on a weekly basis.

Honestly, it's icing on the cake to hear "hurrrr we beat you twice this year, meaning WE are the REAL superbowl champs!"
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-02-06 at 03:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    PostGame.com Link

Apparently, Brady's wife blames his teammates for the loss. lol

"You (have) to catch the ball when you're supposed to catch the ball," she is heard saying. "My husband cannot [expletive] throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can't believe they dropped the ball so many times."
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah Giselle, she has a point. They dropped 3 spot on passes, but at the same time Brady should know better than the first throw of the day that cost them 2 points and lead for a touchdown drive return.

Course, she'll never mention THAT.

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 05:56 PM ----------

Anyway back on the subject of the Draft, I really hope we just bite the bullet and don't start trading away future picks (or key players) for this season. This Draft is the last painful bite left to take of the Al Davis administration and once we've gotten through it, Oakland can start fresh. There's a few conditionals that we need to see how they play out for Palmer and Curry, but considering we didn't go to the playoffs this year I doubt they'll be active.

Patience and time is a concept sadly strange to Oakland though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel for you Fen, I can't really feel you pain being a Ravens fan, but I truly do wish you guys luck in the upcoming season.

I see that Vontazae Burflict is a popular pick for the Ravens in mocks thus far, he seems like a player, but he'll be fined and suspended frequently I fear. I'll choose to avoid him in the first round to hopefully trade up and get Hightower if they go for a linebacker, if not: I'll love it if they pick up an offensive lineman or a freaking Wide Receiver who won't drop passes! Screw you Lee Evans!!!!!

P.S. I know that rookies drop passes, such as what occurred with Torrey Smith, although even Joe Flaaco can be feared if he gets a decent set of wideouts to go with Ray Rice and the up-and-coming Tight Ends in Dickson and Pitta.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    Fifth and Sixth rounds.

Ya but you can bet your ass those two players drafted will have sub 4.3 40 times.

Oh wait Al is dead and they might draft on something beside 40 times for the first time, well, ever.

Anyone else glad this season is over? It felt like the break between the Championship games and the Super Bowl lasted for freaking ever. At least Goodell recognizes that the fans hate the Pro Bowl because it is a joke and talked about them considering cutting it. See, that is what I love about the NFL compared to the NHL. Goodell just comes right out and says shit. Bettman buries his head in the sand and sticks to whatever company line they are sticking to. "The All-Star Game is a tremendous success." "The Phoenix Coyotes have a future in Phoenix that the NHL is committed to." Blah blah blah.

Thank god the season is over and now onto my favorite part of the NFL season, the draft. Sadly that is followed by 4 months of mid-season baseball, but the Tigers should be exciting. Hopefully HBO brings back Hard Knocks next pre-season.

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 02:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    I feel for you Fen, I can't really feel you pain being a Ravens fan, but I truly do wish you guys luck in the upcoming season.

I see that Vontazae Burflict is a popular pick for the Ravens in mocks thus far, he seems like a player, but he'll be fined and suspended frequently I fear. I'll choose to avoid him in the first round to hopefully trade up and get Hightower if they go for a linebacker, if not: I'll love it if they pick up an offensive lineman or a freaking Wide Receiver who won't drop passes! Screw you Lee Evans!!!!!

P.S. I know that rookies drop passes, such as what occurred with Torrey Smith, although even Joe Flaaco can be feared if he gets a decent set of wideouts to go with Ray Rice and the up-and-coming Tight Ends in Dickson and Pitta.
    A) Screw Flacco, bring on the Manning.
    B) Burfict would be an interesting addition. Guy seems to be very talented, but like you said, he is a bit of a nutjob. The Ravens would be the perfect environment for that type of player though as long as Ray is there. They have had a lot of guys who have had messed up histories be fairly successful under the tight control of that franchise. Another option at that spot would probably be Alshon Jeffery from SCar to bolster the WR crew.

PostGame.com Link

Apparently, Brady's wife blames his teammates for the loss. lol
    Eh, Brady did his job well, really. When it comes down to it, what really screwed the Patriots over was *a lot* of stupid mistakes that shouldn't have happened, things like having 12 guys on the field and giving the Giants a free safety on their very first play. But losing was basically a team effort, there were indeed a lot of ball drops and defense was awesome at times and pitiful at others. But yeah, as a Pats fan I don't really give a crap what his bitchy wife that has too much money and fame she didn't earn has to say about a sport she doesn't understand. I'm not going to throw my team under the bus, but the Giants played a better game last night, they had a better performance all-around, but at the same time, it was still a close game. The Patriots have been a very good team in the past 10 years or so, and that is most certainly not just because of Brady.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2012-02-06 at 08:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Yeah, if you put them in the AFC West or something they'd be a lot less awesome -- I mean shit, it was so tough this year that none of the teams had a winning record! that's competition.
    Yes, there are other divisions that seem a little weak(both AFC and NFC West's come to mind), but my point still stands.

Does anyone really think that the Pats would be the annual Playoff shoe-in they've been if they're in the AFC North and have to get past the Ravens and Steelers?
    - the AFC South with a Peyton Manning-lead Colts, Texans and now-Cam-Newton-lead Jaguars?
    - NFC North with the Packers, Bears or now-emerging Lions?
    - NFC South with the Saints or Falcons?
    - NFC East with the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys who are all usually pretty decent?

Are they a good team? Yes, but I think if you put even one competitive team in that division (No, the Jets don't count) they're not the 'dominant force' they've been over the past decade.

On an offtopic: How is it that 3 of the 4 teams in the AFC East are all farther north than any of the teams in the AFC "North"?

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 04:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    A) Screw Flacco, bring on the Manning.
    B) Burfict would be an interesting addition. Guy seems to be very talented, but like you said, he is a bit of a nutjob. The Ravens would be the perfect environment for that type of player though as long as Ray is there. They have had a lot of guys who have had messed up histories be fairly successful under the tight control of that franchise. Another option at that spot would probably be Alshon Jeffery from SCar to bolster the WR crew.
    A) lol Dude, you really don't like Flacco, do you?
    B) I would really like the team to stay away from guys like Burfict. Both in the draft and thru Free Agency. The exact comment you just made seems to echo thru Baltimore every time someone becomes available that has Million Dollar Talent but a 2 Cent Brain. I love Ray, but he's not a therapist. It's not his job to sraighten out every bad seed the team can find. Not that I don't think he couldn't do it, but really that's not his job. The man has done his time in the league and just wants one more Superbowl. No sense in giving him more work than he already has.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Fifth and Sixth rounds.

wasn't tom brady a sixth round pick? :P You never know! Good luck raiders, most dedicated fans in the game imo, considering how garbage the team has been for years.

Gisele was just sticking up for her man. If I could have her to go home to and console me after the game the loss of a super bowl might not suck as much :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that the NFL season is over, I thought it'd be cool if we all did a small writeup on what we think our favorite teams need to address in the offseason. You don't need to make some kind of fantasy wishlist on particular draft picks or free agents. Just a breakdown on team needs: who is an unrestricted free agent, who is most likely to get franchised, who the team may lose (can't keep everybody), who may get cut, what holes need to be addressed, etc.

I don't have time atm, but I'll definitely be doing one later tonight.

Browns better not draft RG3, but if they do get him a WR and right tackle god damnit I'm sick of pashos and the WR core.

Ohh and draft a new fucking coach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    wasn't tom brady a sixth round pick? :P You never know! Good luck raiders, most dedicated fans in the game imo, considering how garbage the team has been for years.

Gisele was just sticking up for her man. If I could have her to go home to and console me after the game the loss of a super bowl might not suck as much :P
    1. She basically just threw his whole team under the bus. Should be interesting. I can't imagine him walking back into that lockerroom and NOT addressing it. It's not like her man threw the best passes himself. Welker had to leap into the air for a chance at his 'drop' .. the point that he was horizontal to the ground. Something that seems unnecessary considering he didn't have a DB within 8-10 yards of him. He hits him in stride and a huge gain, if not a TD. Didn't see the Branch drop, so can't really comment on it.

2. I don't think they'll be crying much over this loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going along with what Elbren said:
    I know that Ray Rice's contract expires, and that the Ravens are attempting to work out a deal before slapping him with the franchise tag. If they do sign him to a deal, I will bet that Ben Grubbs gets the Haloti Ngata treatment and gets tagged / a new contract during the season. Another free agent I know of is Jarret Johnson, who unfortunately will likely be a salary cap casualty, I will miss him, but we need to bring back Grubbs and Rice before him in my honest opinion.
    I THINK, not fully positive that Cary Williams' contract is up, he did really well this season and I would love to see him return for the right price, if a team pays him too much, then I'll still be pleased with how Danny Gorrer did while he was playing to be the Ravens #3 Cornerback.
    To be returning: Lardarius Webb: I think that Webb is one of those guys who Ozzie will be able to bring back, and willing to for the right cost, he seems to love being a Raven and I hope and pray that he sticks in a Ravens uni. Jameel McClain: I think that this is another one of those players who Ozzie wants to bring back, nobody can replace Ray Lewis, but while he was out McClain stepped up big time. Andre Gurode: if my psychic instincts are correct, Birk is retiring and without either of these players, the Ravens have zilch at center, Gurode is the more likely of the two to come back.

Not returning / released:
    Foxworth(less): that move will save Baltimore in excess of 4 million to bring back someone / bring in someone new. Chris Carr: His coverage skills are suspect, I was happy when he was injured to give the other Defensive Backs a chance al of whom proved better than he was. Corey Redding: He did fantastic as a Raven, one of those unsung hero types like Jarret Johnson, but I see Pernell McPhee stepping up to take his place if Redding finds a new home. Matt Birk: I forsee him as retiring, he has had a wonderful stint at Center and I respect that guy for his amazing play, but his age is starting to show.

Unknowns: Haruki Nakamura, Tom Zibikowski: both of these guys are safeties who play rather well of special teams and see a bit of action at their normal safety position. Of the two of them, I honestly would take 'Ruki back as he can also play the nickleback if needed and his coverage skills are slightly better in my opinion. Brendan Ayanbadejo, freaking awesome special teams guy for sure, I would like to see him back, but if need be I can see him walking as well. Dannell Ellerbe, Another one of those ILB's that has been filling in well, McClain is better than Ellerbe but if both return I will be pleased.

Get rid of their ass!: Billy Cundiff, Lee Evans. 'nuff said.

Everyone else: Not a clue who you may be, my sincere apologies.

Free Agency/Draft: If Birk retires and Gurode leaves the center position will HAVE to be filled, preferably with a veteran even if a center is drafted to give some adjustment time to the newbie. Another Wide Receiver would be fine by me, I know that Stevie Johnson is a free agent, and he isn't a bad player, but his antics would have to come to a screeching halt in Baltimore, if available Alshon Jeffrey would be a stellar pickup in my opinion. If I am correct and Johnson is gone Kruger isn't the greatest replacement for him at stuffing the run, as mentioned earlier: trading up for Dont'a Hightower would make me a very happy fan. Left Tackle is another position that should be addressed Bryant McKinney has been a great band-aid for the position, and "The Blind Side" may lose his job at Right Tackle to Jah Reid if he isn't careful, let alone go back to Left! Oh, also a new freaking kicker!
    Last edited by Robbyjawz; 2012-02-06 at 11:30 PM.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    I know there's a fair few Donkey fans on here, and while everyone's been tearing into the AFC West I'm curious, what's the likely goals in Denver during the offseason?

Not really expecting much from the Chiefs and the Chargers are up in the air whether or not they can really make a difference next season.

I know there's a fair few Donkey fans on here, and while everyone's been tearing into the AFC West I'm curious, what's the likely goals in Denver during the offseason?
    Get Tebow offseason practice with his receivers, try to snag a speed demon of some sort and continue to bolster the defense (pass rush up the middle comes to mind). Instead of a "holy shit fucking rebuild" period, this is going to be a reinforcement and improvement offseason (one that I really, really prefer). Coming off an entry to the playoffs, regardless of record, is fantastic. Continue building on our strengths (pass rush off the edge, running game, offensive line) and get more strength in pass defense and interior pass rush.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ravens Writeup

Offseason Outlook: Looks like the biggest things going into this offseason are RB Ray Rice and LB Ben Grubbs hitting free agency and Joe Flacco entering the last year of his contract. From the look of it, the team is working on long term deals for both Flacco and Rice with an apparent emphasis on Flacco. The team has said that, while they're working on Rice, they have no problem using the Franchise Tag on the RB. I have a feeling this may leave Ben Grubbs out in the cold.

QB: Flacco is going into the last year of his deal. Will be back for 2012.
    FB: Vonta Leach will be back for 2012.
    RB: Whether they work out a new deal or franchise him, Rice is back for 2012.

LT: Bryant McKinnie. Decent but not nearly as good as I thought he'd be. He got beat, pushed back or both quite often last season. Not sure where the team is going with this position. He's signed thru next year, but I could easily see them cutting him. Unfortunately, I could also easily see them keeping him around since there are other more pressing needs currently and cap room seems to be disappearing quickly.

LG: Ben Grubbs. Easily one of the best guys on the offensive line and while I consider him an insanely important priority this offseason, it's looking more and more like he's gone. GM Ozzie Newsome has already made multiple comments on how he's an important piece to the team, but keeping him, Flacco and Rice may just not be feasible. While they could do it, it would take re-working alot of contracts and we'd end up paying for it 3 years from now (like we did in 2001). Even if they work out a deal with Flacco and Rice, they've all but said that they won't Franchise Grubbs. I thought I read somewhere that would be something in the $8 - 9 Mil. range. That'd be alot of money tied up in the guard position with that and the new deal Yanda got last year.

C: Matt Birk is a free agent and basically at the end of his career. I love the guy, but he got beat quite often this year and the team has already said that they'll be adding a new center; whether thru FA, trade or the draft. Most expect him to retire. He won the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award this year for all of the work he does in the community in and around Baltimore. Sad to see his career come to an end and he'll definitely be missed in this town. Andre Gurode is also an unrestricted FA, so they may try and resign him just for continuity and cap reasons though Ozzie's comments seem to go against this.

RG: Marshal Yanda. signed long term and coming back next season.

RT: No idea what's happening here. Micheal Oher is signed for next year, but this guy just seems to keep taking steps back. His initial move to LT (where they originally expected him to play) was pretty bad and his move back to RT (to make room for McKinnie) seems almost as bad. It's not that he's horrible ... just that he's not even remotely looking like the guy the Ravens thought they drafted. If they decide to cut McKinnie, they could move Oher back to LT (don't see that happening). If McKinnie stays (or they replace him from outside the organization), I could actually see them cutting Oher and going w/ Jah Ried who they took in the 3rd round last year, but he saw little/no playing time this season. Like McKinnie though, I could easily see them staying w/ Oher just because of cap reasons and there being other pressing needs.

TE: Pitta and Dickson were both drafted last year and will be back in 2012. They're both great receiving TE's. Dickson started out the year as the go-to guy, but a severe case of drop-itis pushed Pitta into the starter stop near the end and in the playoffs. Either way, the Ravens are definitely set at TE for a while.

WR: Aquan Boldin and Torrey Smith are both locks for 2012. Lee Evans is signed for 2012, but there is a high probability that he'll be cut because of salary cap reasons. (think he's due something like $5+ Mil. next year) I'm hoping they cut him and rework a new deal. Really don't wanna go fishing for another WR again this offseason and I'd like to see Flacco throwing to the same guys for once. I feel bad for Evans. He's a team-guy at a position where that's pretty rare. He's gone his whole career without going to the playoffs and never really complained. He gets traded to the Ravens, looks good w/ Flacco and then hurts himself right before the season starts. Basically misses the entire season, finally makes the playoffs despite Torrey Smith moving past him on the depth chart and see's little/no playing time. Then he gets the one thing any reciever is dieing to have: the game winning ball coming his way that'll send him to the Superbowl ... and he drops it. Man ... if any of you heard his postgame comments after the AFC Championship game, that dude was distraught. Hard to see that happen to someone who seems so likeable; especially when he's as sure-handed as he usually is. Would have no problem seeing him back next season.

DT: Haloti Ngata and Terrance Cody are both coming back in 2012. I believe Cory Redding is a FA, meaning they need another DT. I don't see them having the cap room to bring Redding back and he's made a couple comments this season hinting this may have been his last season. I really like Cody, but they really need to find another DT that's going to take some of the pressure off of Ngata. The guy is double and triple teamed on pretty much every play; even when he's injured (which he was for the 2nd half of the season).

DE: No idea what they're gonna do here. Pernell McPhee is the only DE on the roster atm, but the Ravens seem to run with 2 DT's and only one DE alot. McPhee may be pushed into a starters roll next season. Both he and Paul Kruger saw mixed time at DE and LB so they may just go w/ one of them at DE or use both as more traditional bookend DE's. Kruger was only used in passrushing situations this season (which he's awesome at).

ROLB: Terrell Suggs. Signed thru 2012.
    LOLB: Jarrett Johnson is an unrestricted FA this year and is probably gone. Both for cap reasons and because he eventually lost alot of playing time to McPhee, Kruger and Darnell Ellerbe. Not sure where they go here, but I have a feeling Ellerbe gets the 1st shot at the starting spot, though he seems to be in and out of Harbaughs' doghouse quite often. Ellerbe is also a restricted FA, but I think they bring him back.

MLB: Ray Lewis is signed for 2012. I love Ray, but they really need to draft or trade for a new, younger MLB. Ray is still one of the top guys at his position, but how long can he possibly keep playing at this level? Jameel McClain is the other MLB that's opposite Ray, but he's an unrestricted FA. Not sure if they'll replace him or switch from a 3/4 to a 4/3 and leave Ray by himself in the middle. There's a new DC (again) and there's no news out of the castle on what they plan to do on defense.

FS/SS: Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard. Both signed for 2012, but both of their backups (who actually see alot of playing time all around the field) are unrestricted FA's. Zbikowski and Nakamura: I have a feeling both are gone. Much like Ray Lewis, they really need to find a younger replacement for Reed. I love the guy, but his health is a serious question mark. He says he's fine, but you can definitely tell there's something there from watching him play. There have been multiple whispers coming out of the organization that he's basically one back hit away from being paralyzed. He says it's nothing but you can tell just from watching him that he's not the same guy he was a few years ago.

CB: LeDarius Webb, Dominique Foxworth, Carry Williams and Chris Carr. Both Webb and Williams are restricted FA's, but I think they bring them both back. Carr is signed for 2012, but I have a feeling he gets cut: both because of cap reasons and also because he flat out blows. Foxworth, who saddly, I like, is easily the top choice to get cut for cap reasons. Makes way too much, missed all of this season because of an injury he suffered last offseason and the Ravens have seen almost no return on that contract. CB is definitely a need going into this offseason. I'm still really depressed that we didn't go after Jonathon Joseph last offseason.

K: Billy Cundiff is sitting on a nice, fat contract saddly. Signed for 2012. Reverted back to the normal Cundiff everyone expected to see after the Ravens gave him that horrible 5 year deal. Everyone in the tri-state area wants him gone, but Harbaugh has defended him time and again. Barring the owner stepping in, Cundiff is back for next season.

As of now, these are the Locks for next season.

QB: Flacco
    FB: Leach
    RB: Rice

LT:
    LG:
    C:
    RG: Yanda
    RT: Oher or Ried

TE: Pitta

WR: Boldin, T. Smith

DT: Ngata, T. Cody
    DE: McPhee

LOLB:
    MLB: Ray
    ROLB: Suggs

FS/SS: Reed, Pollard

CB:

K: Cundiff

Obvious needs going into the draft and FA: CB, OT, OG, C, DE and OLB.
    Lesser Needs: MLB, S's and DT

A lot of holes to fill and there may not be alot of cap room to do it.

Don't care what anyone says, I still think Eli is not better than his brother nor elite!

10+ Year Old Account
    Fengore, looks like your Raiders picked up Jason Tarver from Stanford as the Defensive Coordinator. Thoughts on the matter? I have no idea how he is 'cause I haven't watched much in the way of Cardinal games.