Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Portnoy's Complaint

Lord of the Flies

Ulysses

Quote Originally Posted by Seerdomin View Post
    If you enjoy "A Song of Ice and Fire" I suggest you give Steven Eriksons "Malazan Book of the Fallen" a shot. In my opinion it's even better than Martins work. And Erikson writes faster than Martin

Esselmonts two books set in the Malazan world are decent, nothing superb but once you get immersed in Eriksons world you just can't stop. (The world was co-created by Erikson and Esselmont)

Edit: And yes, the books are so good that I had to register just to say it =)
    Fuck yes. Already have the final book pre-ordered, and have for some months.

I highly enjoyed the Orison Scott Card Ender Series (Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, etc). Overall the books were very enticing and I recommend them as an excellent futuristic psychological thriller. Plus, the amount of subliminal sattire about the author's views on government and economics were pretty entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoohoodoo View Post
    anything classic should do the tric, avoid cheap fantasy tho :P
    Define "cheap fantasy"....

Quote Originally Posted by CuteyCindi View Post
    Wow~ many nice books, thx for sharing~
    Np, that is the point

Quote Originally Posted by Agroculture View Post
    Portnoy's Complaint

Lord of the Flies

Ulysses
    Portnoy's Complaint, it is fiction? The name just made me think of Mike Portnoy

Lovers of fantasy should deffinitely read the Farseer Trilogy (beginning with Assassin's Apprentice) by Robin Hobb. Anything she writes is really amazing. The other series she has are also really really great but you won't understand any of the other besides Shaman's Crossing and the other 2 books in the trilogy unless you read the Farseer Trilogy followed by the Tawny Man trilogy first.

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman is also a trilogy of completely epic quality, though you may want to skip this one if you are a serious religious practicer because Pullman is, well, atheist to say the least.

---------- Post added 2010-12-24 at 03:14 PM ----------

And I hate to double post, but the Bartimaeus trilogy is a very good trilogy that many have said they cried during the end. Personally, I didn't because I think what happened was completely deserved. Still, a magnificent fantasy series.

I've read Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy and am so looking forwards to The Traitor Spy Trilogy. Damn good books with kind of simplified use of magic (magic being just the "extension" of ones will sorta), simplified in a way maybe but still damn interesting.

Also I'll throw in David A. Gemmel's Drenai books, those are the best fantasy books I've read. Will try his other books someday too...
    I encourage people to check these 2 writer's works out!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lovecraft short stories still scare me sometimes.
    Also the Dune saga is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantpanda602 View Post
    Lovers of fantasy should deffinitely read the Farseer Trilogy (beginning with Assassin's Apprentice) by Robin Hobb. Anything she writes is really amazing. The other series she has are also really really great but you won't understand any of the other besides Shaman's Crossing and the other 2 books in the trilogy unless you read the Farseer Trilogy followed by the Tawny Man trilogy first.

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman is also a trilogy of completely epic quality, though you may want to skip this one if you are a serious religious practicer because Pullman is, well, atheist to say the least.

---------- Post added 2010-12-24 at 03:14 PM ----------

And I hate to double post, but the Bartimaeus trilogy is a very good trilogy that many have said they cried during the end. Personally, I didn't because I think what happened was completely deserved. Still, a magnificent fantasy series.
    His Dark Materials have close to nothing to do with christianity as we know it. I know a strong religious guy that loved the books immensely, but he too understood why it wasn't made more films, etc.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin

Deleted
    John Grishams books!

Everyone should read 1984 and gain a healthy paranoia
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclejesse
    I'm not very nice and think I will stay away from the forums for a week to calm down
    (Note: This post might have been edited by Boubouille)
    My characters Bintah and Alicia

only read the first 3 books of the sword of truth books

Well, if comics are to be included, I'd say "The Sandman" is a must-read.It is actually far better than many novels that receive high praises from critics.

Some other all-time favourites from my bookshelves would be:

- Nick Cave, And the Ass saw the Angel: its weird, sometimes disgusting and brutal and yet strangely beautiful at times. You never know if you pity or hate the protagonist...extremely great writing!

- Jospeh Conrad, Heart of Darkness: Couldn't really tell you just why I am so fascinated by the way the story is told. I just love it and I really get soaked up in this story (ore rather the way it is told) everytime that I read it (and I've read it often actually)

- David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest: This was the only time, finishing a book felt like an acomplishment...it is incredibly hard to read. Being a German student of English I have voluntarily or not read many tough English works and do know a good lot of vocabulary, but this (one of the voluntarily read ones) compares to no other thing I have ever read. It is a monster made of vocabulary and confusion but the thought alone that maybe after finishing these 1000 pages all of these fragments might actually make sense is strangely addictive. I think a filled 2 pages of paper with unknown words while reading the first 10 pages of the novel alone...would be interesting to know how easy/difficult a native speaker of English would rate it.

- Voltaire, Candide: Thats an old one but it is just like an absurd never-ending episode of Tom and Jerry, only with Humans in the 16th or 17th century that are constantly running from one misfortune into the next, really hillarious. It is difficult to get atranslation that does justice to the absurd humour though, at least a German translation, maybe English translations of it are better.

- Michael Ende, The Neverending Story: A German children's book, but like Alice in Wonderland it is also a great read for adults because it is so rich in details.
    A young boy, who is running away from some other kids that try to bully him and finds himself in an old book store. There he sees a book and is so fascinated by it that he steals it, hides in the attic of his school and starts to read. It is about a fantasy kingdom that is vanishing into nothingness and the inhabitants seek a way of preventing it. It turns out that he (the boy reading) is the key to saving that kingdom and so the story within the story slowly becomes reality (with you as a reader reading exactly the same book that the protagonist read...). It has very beautiful descriptions of places and fantasy landscapes and a great twisting plot...don't know how well known it is outside of Germany but if you are interested in fantasy or stuff like the Wizard of Oz/Alice in Wonderland oder Where the Wild Things Are you might want to give it a shot.

and of course:
    Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Just because! Everyone should read it. Abolutely fabulous, and absurd (and that is probably why it is so fabulous!). Got my first tattoo because of that book.

Deleted
    1984 and Animal Farm. George Orwell is a man of genius.

Also, graphic novel wise. Scott Pilgrim series, Invincible and Walking Dead. All incredible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner563 View Post
    Anything by Douglas Coupland (JPOD, microserfs)

Jennifer Government

If you're into crime/thriller, Simon Kernick is an excellent writer.
    Simon Kernick is simply amazing, Relentless being my favourite but really everything he has written has been incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Phera View Post
    Well, if comics are to be included, I'd say "The Sandman" is a must-read.It is actually far better than many novels that receive high praises from critics.
    Won't add any comics to the OP, but to list some really good comics:
    300 can't remember the name of the author, but it's the same guy that made
    Sin City. Those are together the two best comics I've ever read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything by Terry Pratchett;

The Wee Free Men series, and Going Postal for example, are great books.
    "It's alive!" - Viktor Frankenstein
    derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lovecraft was a genius, even despite (or because of) clearly being from another planet. His books are a must, buy a collection of his short stories asap if u haven't read him yet.

I also love Robert L. Asprin (r.i.p) and his Myth series (turned shit after like 8 or so books but was awesome before that) and Phule's Paradise series. Great humor, in line with his friend Terry Pratchett.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Deleted
    Naked Lunch by William Burrows
    Incredibly fascinating book with extremely vivid language. Its mainly a compilation of work written by Mr. Burrows and has alot to do with drug-use and hallucinations. Can be hard to read if you arent very profficient in english though.

Dune series by Frank/Brian Herbert
    Ender's Game Series by Orson Scott Card
    Ringworld series by Larry Niven
    The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
    Foundation Series by Issac Asimov
    Gateway series by Frederik Pohl
    Anything by Philip K. Dick/Kurt Vonnegut

All great stuff, and most if not all won the Hugo and Nebula awards