Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Shouldn't the Shadow Proclamation or the Judoon be going after River for murdering the Doctor rather than the Clerics?
    I think we have only come across the shadow proclamation once before (when the Doctor was figuring out that the Darleks were stealing planets)... and idk, my impression of them was pretty crap. Also, it seems like they are only concerned with certain laws and stuff... I mean I don't think there is a specific law against killing the doctor or anything.

People were constantly telling me how much I'd like Doctor Who, but I was skeptical. However, I finally got Netflix last month, and while perusing the recommendations I came across Doctor Who so I decided to watch it. I instantly fell in love, and watched all of the available serials (1-5 of the current iteration) and then rented the first part of the sixth series from iTunes. Doctor Who is the best sci-fi show on television, bar none (I've never seen Firefly or Game of Thrones, but I doubt they are better). Thank God for BBC-America, I've got my DVR set to record new episodes. =D

My avatar agrees, by the way.

Edit: After I finished watching Doctor Who, I started Torchwood. It is good, but not as good as Doctor Who.

Now to the topic at hand... I think it is entirely viable that it is the child version of River Song in the astronaut suit, since we see her in it repeatedly in "The Impossible Astronaut", I also think it is entirely possible that it is the flesh version of the Doctor (maybe that is just wishful thinking).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-08-30 at 03:23 PM.

Does anyone else think Omega is behind the Silence and the Church?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I think we have only come across the shadow proclamation once before (when the Doctor was figuring out that the Darleks were stealing planets)... and idk, my impression of them was pretty crap. Also, it seems like they are only concerned with certain laws and stuff... I mean I don't think there is a specific law against killing the doctor or anything.
    Thats true, I suppose they might be concerned with acts of Genocide more than anything else. Although, the Doctor IS the last True Blooded Timelord...

As for Torchwood, the major issue I have with it is that it simply has too much sex in it. Way, Way too much. If you are thinking about dropping it though, I will say that you should stick with it if for no other reason than the ending of Season 1 and the Culmination of the Season 2 major plotline. The sex even tones down a bit for awhile.

Am I the only one who was thinking when River Song was healing the Doctor, it would be really useful if the Doctor gained her regenerations? Rather than just healing the Doctor now, she also extended the number of times he could regenerate and thereby length of the show. A handy escape from the inevitable end of the show.

No writer should ever reach the point where the Doctor dies. It should be a saga that goes on forever. Even when the show ends, the Doctor should be left alive to go on, keeping the ability to bring the show back for the next generation. On this note, I would be very disappointed if Steven Moffet really kills the Doctor at the end of this season. It would be a shame for British culture and a really greedy thing for a writer to do.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Am I the only one who was thinking when River Song was healing the Doctor, it would be really useful if the Doctor gained her regenerations? Rather than just healing the Doctor now, she also extended the number of times he could regenerate and thereby length of the show. A handy escape from the inevitable end of the show.

No writer should ever reach the point where the Doctor dies. It should be a saga that goes on forever. Even when the show ends, the Doctor should be left alive to go on, keeping the ability to bring the show back for the next generation. On this note, I would be very disappointed if Steven Moffet really kills the Doctor at the end of this season. It would be a shame for British culture and a really greedy thing for a writer to do.
    I agree with you.

But here is the beauty of the Doctors long story; while he is often seen as having 12 regenerations, during one part in the series he mentions that he can regenerate thousands of times.

While I sort of prefer the 12 regenerations giving some meaning to his life (a thousand is pretty overboard) I completely agree that the death of the 12th Doctor being the end of the series would be a tragedy.

There is something to be said for a storyline reaching its conclusion rather than dragging on until it is so obscure that noone cares. They could achieve this either by ignoring the finality of the 12th regen or by keeping the 12th Doctor around for a ****long**** time. Of course, the regeneration of the 9th and 10th Doctor were more motivated by the actors decisions to leave the show than actual plot needs.

Its worth noting that Matt Smith shopped himself around a good bit over the summer conventions in America. Whether he was doing this to further pursue options outside of the Doctor or simply to raise awareness of his acting abilities should the show eventually demand his exit is anyones guess. We have him for at least another year though since the next 'season' is going to be spread out over the course of the year and he has signed up for those episodes.

I think if River HAS given the Doctor her regenerations, it would be nice to see him actually use forms that would have been hers, IE, female forms. I wouldn't mind seeing some lady Doctors. It'd be a nice way for River to "stay with him" in a way after she and Matt Smith both leave the show eventually.

I remember there was a lot of buzz about Catherine Tate being the Doctor for series 5. That ended up being wrong but it was an interesting idea. Obviously any future female Doctors wouldn't be Catherine Tate, though.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Love the show, but can only watch it on Netflix since i don't get a chance to record/watch the shows. Favorite doctor in my opinion will always be David Tennant's.

On a related note, anyone know where i can get a cheap costume for his doctor, mostly just the suit and the coat, since i know about everything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    On the Subject of the Doctor dieing in Utah.

1. The Doctor runs away from everything. When he can. This event is a Fixed point so he has to attend.
    2. River is the Killer. Possibly before her death.
    3. In the episode when river is born, River was so very happy to meet Rory, she acted as if he wasn't ever going to be around again.
    4. The Doctor has a way out of anything, especially if he can plan for it.
    5. He had to actually be there Die, not regenerate, and be 'cremated', publicly before witnesses to include the silence.

idea 1: He has a plan to save both himself and River (after she dies in the Library), by that point. He is clever enough to pull it off and not destroy the universe.
    idea 2: Closed loop paradox creation thoery, Just a theory but Moffet could do a closed loop story line ending the series in 2014. The Doctor becomes Omega, River becomes the Other, and their child becomes Rassalon. Its a work in progress but I have noticed a few clues leading me to this Idea.

Something funny I noticed (spoiler: Hitler never comes out of the closet :end spoiler)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    So your suggesting that the River that sees him killed is a River before she actually does the deed. That's interesting and I can sort of see it. I can't recall off the top of my head ... doesn't she get the invite in prison though? If not, this is a solid theory. I just cant see her being in prison before committing her crime, the fact of her being there (albeit on a 'as she wishes' basis) would prevent her from being very effective at murdering him.
    Well techincally she kills the Doctor in the Hitler episode. She also brings him back to life. The murder occurs there. The Doctor also dies July 26th(?), 2011. In a linear timeline, River can be arrested at any point in time after that date and be held accountable for the murder, even if it is before HER time of actaully killing him.

Don't forget about the Time Agency (or whatever you want to call them) being in 1939 to torture/arrest Hitler at the end of his timeline for his crimes...and being their early. This shows they arent perfect in arriving at the correct time to be judge/jury/executioner for a criminal, and shows they could even be arresting River prior to her actions. I don't quite rememeber, but I recently went back and started watching from the Library episode and paying extra attention to certain happenings. I don't ever remember the Doctor asking what she did, but rather the reason for her incarceration (I could be wrong though). If this is true, it could be cleverly hinting at her being imprisoned for an action in her personal future timeline, but would be a past event for her prison timeline. Again, a time agency going around arresting criminals who can also time travel could get very tricky and sticky.

---------- Post added 2011-08-31 at 08:27 AM ----------

[QUOTE=Gothicshark;12983714]On the Subject of the Doctor dieing in Utah.

1. The Doctor runs away from everything. When he can. This event is a Fixed point so he has to attend.
    2. River is the Killer. Possibly before her death.
    3. In the episode when river is born, River was so very happy to meet Rory, she acted as if he wasn't ever going to be around again.
    4. The Doctor has a way out of anything, especially if he can plan for it.
    5. He had to actually be there Die, not regenerate, and be 'cremated', publicly before witnesses to include the silence.

idea 1: He has a plan to save both himself and River (after she dies in the Library), by that point. He is clever enough to pull it off and not destroy the universe.
    idea 2: Closed loop paradox creation thoery, Just a theory but Moffet could do a closed loop story line ending the series in 2014. The Doctor becomes Omega, River becomes the Other, and their child becomes Rassalon. Its a work in progress but I have noticed a few clues leading me to this Idea. QUOTE]

Lovely spoiler there at the end, just hilarious. As for someone else's previous post, the Doctor that is shot by the Astronaut in the first episode is over 1100 years old (200 years older than the current incarnation). To go off what Gothicshark said, he has 200 years to prepare for this event... OR he just says he is that much older for some purpose not known yet.

Why would River react so to seeing Rory in that episode? In the recent one, it shows she "technically" grew up with him and Amy, as Amy's best mate. I conclude either he dies in some unfortunate event, he is the good man she kills, or maybe its just been a damn long time since she's seen her father.

The closed loop paradox theory is an interesting one. Havent they already done something like this? I could have sworn there was a previous episode (maybe with Tennet) where the Doctor's actions rewrite a fixed point. Maybe it was Eccleston. Was it the episode where the TARDIS explodes and closes the crack that it opened? Techincally the Doctor, River, Amy and Rory have all of their previous memories to that point, but the rest of the world/universe were rewritten. With the right planning (like when the Doctor is killed by the Dalek in museum after Amy comes out of the Pandorica), he was able to save the day so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Now to the topic at hand... I think it is entirely viable that it is the child version of River Song in the astronaut suit, since we see her in it repeatedly in "The Impossible Astronaut", I also think it is entirely possible that it is the flesh version of the Doctor (maybe that is just wishful thinking).
    I believe they want you to think the Astronaut is the child version seen later in the episode; thats the straight forward conclusion. But they've left a cliffhanger there, and I believe a twist HAS to occur.
    Last edited by Rollo; 2011-08-31 at 08:29 AM.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    idea 2: Closed loop paradox creation thoery, Just a theory but Moffet could do a closed loop story line ending the series in 2014. The Doctor becomes Omega, River becomes the Other, and their child becomes Rassalon. Its a work in progress but I have noticed a few clues leading me to this Idea.
    I'd like to see some of these clues

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Doctor Who is the best sci-fi show on television, bar none (I've never seen Firefly or Game of Thrones, but I doubt they are better).
    You should try watching Firefly and Game of Thrones, in my opinion both are much better than Doctor Who. Game of Thrones is proper fantasy though so it's not really fair to compare that to sci-fi.

Deleted
    Originally Posted by noteworthynerd
    Doctor Who is the best sci-fi show on television, bar none (I've never seen Firefly or Game of Thrones, but I doubt they are better).

Quote Originally Posted by Archipelagos View Post
    You should try watching Firefly and Game of Thrones, in my opinion both are much better than Doctor Who. Game of Thrones is proper fantasy though so it's not really fair to compare that to sci-fi.
    Firefly and game of thrones are in a different league, where as Doctor who is simply an entertaining show for kids and the family, that could be aired on CBBC or the cartoon network, the other 2 are mainly for adults.....wouldnt want my kids watching Game of thones, jeez the barbarian and that poor blonde girl,, adults only

And Im guessing Steven muppet (moffat) watched Meet Dave then... the hack he is
    Last edited by mmocae06178e2b; 2011-08-31 at 07:08 PM.

I tried to watch the old Dr Who, but never got into .. some of my friends did tho.

I wanted to get into this, but Dark Shadows called me instead (and it was more relate-able, to me)

My Favorite Doctor is David Tenant.

I'm now watching all the episodes that River appears in over again, and paying more attention to this time. Just to see if there's anything I can pick up that I missed the first time. lol

So I just re-watched the first episode with Matt Smith. (Side note the part where they go through all the old Doctors and Matt Smith emerges through David Tennant's head is epic) Near the end Prisoner Zero said "Silence Doctor, silence will fall". Which I had previously just assumed it meant the end of the universe and all that which they wrapped up at the end of his first season.

But then we got The Silence in the form of the bad guys in the second season... but then he took care of them and I guess in essence they "fell".

Ok so then I went to the "Let's Kill Hitler" episode to check what was said there about the silence there... So the Doctor asks who wants him dead and the reply is:
    "They Silence aren't a species, it is a religious order or movement. Their core belief is that Silence will fall when the question is asked".
    Of course he asks what question.
    "The first question, the oldest question in the universe. Hidden in plain sight."
    The question is unknown though...

...So I am thinking these things are connected, and maybe the priests who imprison River aren't from the same order... idk, just thinking again

10+ Year Old Account
    This weeks episode was a fair one. Apparently it was originally scheduled to air during S6p1 - something I found out after the fact that made Amy and Rory's wardrobe and stiff relationship seem a bit more natural.

As a self-contained ep, it moved along fairly well, The Doctor had some great scenes and interactions (the Tea making and debate on opening the cupboard) and the little twist at the end with George and his Father hit me pretty profoundly (fears of inadequacies on the fathers part being trivialized by the love for his son).

Overall not too shabby. Nice that we can get episodes like this to lighten some of the doomsday scenario storyline we are currently moving through.

---------- Post added 2011-09-05 at 02:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    I tried to watch the old Dr Who, but never got into .. some of my friends did tho.

I wanted to get into this, but Dark Shadows called me instead (and it was more relate-able, to me)
    The major thing about the old Doctor was that the BBC had a heavy, heavy hand in it after it got really interesting. At that point it sort of sucked as they made the Doctor sort of a wacky nutty Dennis the Menace sort of guy.

Of course, if your referring to stuff like the First Doctors adventures, well we do have to account for it pre-dating the original Star Trek

15+ Year Old Account
    Isn't really about the episodes but...http://wimp.com/themeplayed/

10+ Year Old Account
    The Girl Who Waited was the best Amy episode ever. And hell, probably one of the best Rory episodes.