Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Couple healing questions

1. I would like to get some insight on which meta gem is better for healing bc right now im using the spirit/3% heal crit. I have seen kind of a mix on which one people are using. Idk if it is mainly which stat is needed or if the int one is just all around better.

2. my guild has just recently started working on magmaw and i was curious which spec is better for this fight. Most of the time our healing comp is holy pally, resto druid/ resto shaman, and me. I have only tried it as disc but with the raid dmg that is going out if holy would be a better choice on this fight.

3. Until the penance buff goes live is it still worth the gcd?

I understand that i still have some pieces of gear that need to be replaced so if you ( trolls ) feel the need to post plz dont waste our time. For those of you that think a simple link to ej is all thats need you can also feel free to not waste my time. I posted here for a reason.

Thanks for the input.

Prefix-US Velen
    "I promise Stormbolts dmg isnt broken"
    Patbottoms-Dalaran, US

1) Go with the INT one. Mana gives more mana per rapture, better mana gain from replenishment and cooldowns, more spellpower and better absorbs.

2) We have the same healing setup as you have, and I've been Disc since start. The raid damage is indeeed alot, but they are few and far beetween. You should just stop healing when the flame comes, move and then heal. Be quick to move, then quick to PoH. Learn to time your barrier and only sweetness will come to you.

3) Yes, always good to pop on tank or anyone else that needs a fast fix! I use this as my flash heal, *shuckle* and then just use Gheal when its on CD.

Holy is very overrated. People look at the meters and go "Oh holy rules in all ways". But what if PW:B would have been an absorb instead of damage reduction? Then disc would have been extremely high.

I just finished off Cho'gall again, and during that time I placed 3x PW:B during shadow nova that took all 3 ticks, and on Nefarian I get to use it 3 times. We're talking about health "absorbed" in millions in addition to what recount shows.

Honestly, I rolled priest because of Prayer of Mending (Ingenious design!) and Penence. I like the animations, I like the design and I love the features. I suggest you never play a spec you don't enjoy. Unless you're pushing for world firsts and need a specific class with a specific talent to mutilate a mechanic then you NEED to be in a certain spec. But 100% else, no.
    Really, the only difference between a priests spec is the utilities. We both use exactly the same spells except for Penence & Chakra. And neither of them are needed to play a priest. Just added bonuses.

• 54 Int and 2% Max Mana
    • I raid as holy and I feel it is far stronger than disc atm, so although I may be biased, I'd say holy all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Juber View Post
    Holy is very overrated. People look at the meters and go "Oh holy rules in all ways". But what if PW:B would have been an absorb instead of damage reduction? Then disc would have been extremely high.
    This is one of the many reasons why Disc's prefered role is tank healing. All the awesomeness of PW:B, PS, & PI w/o the suck that is Disc PoH spam. While "comparable" to Holy on turreted fights, insert any movement into the fight and Disc raid healing starts dropping like a rock for every second on the go.

To answer the OP:

(1) 99% of folks should be running the INT/%mana gem. There is an interesting argument for SPI/%critheal for a min/maxed disc tank healer, but most will not need to make this decision.

(2) I am assuming b/c of the Holy paladin you will be raid healing, and in that case: 100% Holy. Being able to save CoH for the move, B&S to get to the next spot quickly, and EoL never getting wasted all makes holy a far better choice for this encounter, especially in 5man and especially since you don't have another Hpriest.

(3) Penance is worth the GCD, but you should not keep it on CD. Save Penance for when a single kuncklehead decides to eat a magmajet, then PW:S->Penance->GH & good to go. For extra flare, lifegrip them out of the air to the next grouping spot before they land.

i was going to try it out at holy for the extra mobility but i had to leave early bc my brother who is also my boss needed to talk business. thanks for the input guys.
    "I promise Stormbolts dmg isnt broken"
    Patbottoms-Dalaran, US

Holy would probably be better - but if you're not comfortable with that spec then it ultimately won't be. Run heroics and such as Holy before jumping into a progression raid, imo.

If you stay as Disc just remember that PoH is still your friend and you can even go as far as to pre-cast it before the breath and get those Aegis bubbles going alongside your next incoming PoH.

Also, asking your raid leader to maximize group composition will help a ton. IE. All melee in same group & ranged. I know this seems obvious but it CAN be overlooked in the grand scheme of raid leading
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    Holy would probably be better - but if you're not comfortable with that spec then it ultimately won't be. Run heroics and such as Holy before jumping into a progression raid, imo.

If you stay as Disc just remember that PoH is still your friend and you can even go as far as to pre-cast it before the breath and get those Aegis bubbles going alongside your next incoming PoH.

Also, asking your raid leader to maximize group composition will help a ton. IE. All melee in same group & ranged. I know this seems obvious but it CAN be overlooked in the grand scheme of raid leading
    Been fighting this with my guild right now. They put some melee in G1, with Hunter. WTF. G2, melee with a lock. WTF Again. G3, 2-3 tanks and more ranged. WTF AGAIN!!.

Tried telling them 15 times. Tanks 1-3 in G1, G2 All melee, Hunters in G3, Ranged in G4, Healers in G5. Makes using PoH much more efficient.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostolic View Post
    Been fighting this with my guild right now. They put some melee in G1, with Hunter. WTF. G2, melee with a lock. WTF Again. G3, 2-3 tanks and more ranged. WTF AGAIN!!.

Tried telling them 15 times. Tanks 1-3 in G1, G2 All melee, Hunters in G3, Ranged in G4, Healers in G5. Makes using PoH much more efficient.
    I think you have to play a priest to actually notice this :-).
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Just try to explain in a very calm and factual manner the mechanics of Prayer of Healing and the extreme benefits of putting the right people in the right groups. If you have 2x melee and 3x ranged in the same group then your PoH will only hit half/less than half of them and it's wasted mana & time.

You just have to be careful and go about it in a very professional way, rather than sound like you're whining. As long as Ranged are together & melee are together, it's enough. Although it is much better for visibility to have all Tanks together & Healers together (as well as for Mana Tide until 4.0.6).

I'd also suggest putting your Tanks in G1 & Heals in G2 or Tanks in G4 & Heals in G5. It keeps the most important people together, although it takes time to get used to compared to the G1/G5 layout.

I'd also suggest putting your Tanks in G1 & Heals in G2 or Tanks in G4 & Heals in G5. It keeps the most important people together, although it takes time to get used to compared to the G1/G5 layout.
    I prefer 1/5 for a couple reasons. First, all of the tanks and healers are at least as easy to find since they're in the outside groups, but also it allows tanks to be grouped with melee in 1-2 and healers to be grouped with ranged in 3-5 which, from a healing/positioning perspective, makes the most sense since healers are typically spread out with ranged and melee are typically with tanks. If you do 1/2, then you have melee in 1 and 3, and if you do 4/5, you get ranged in 2-3/5, both of which are less intuitive.

Regardless, sometimes the raid leaders forget to set up groups in a way that maximizes PoH usage. If it's a farmed encounter, I generally don't care a whole lot, but I will not click yes on a ready check if groups aren't set up right and I'll tell the raid leaders, either in healer chat or over mumble, exactly what I need changed. Raid leaders that aren't willing to move people to maximize PoH usage, where there's very few other reasons to have people grouped together based on raid mechanics, are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq View Post
    I prefer 1/5 for a couple reasons. First, all of the tanks and healers are at least as easy to find since they're in the outside groups, but also it allows tanks to be grouped with melee in 1-2 and healers to be grouped with ranged in 3-5 which, from a healing/positioning perspective, makes the most sense since healers are typically spread out with ranged and melee are typically with tanks. If you do 1/2, then you have melee in 1 and 3, and if you do 4/5, you get ranged in 2-3/5, both of which are less intuitive.

Regardless, sometimes the raid leaders forget to set up groups in a way that maximizes PoH usage. If it's a farmed encounter, I generally don't care a whole lot, but I will not click yes on a ready check if groups aren't set up right and I'll tell the raid leaders, either in healer chat or over mumble, exactly what I need changed. Raid leaders that aren't willing to move people to maximize PoH usage, where there's very few other reasons to have people grouped together based on raid mechanics, are just shooting themselves in the foot.
    I hear ya. Just something a fellow raid member brought up the other day. Thanks for pointing that out.

But I think the most important thing you pointed out is what I bolded. If people aren't willing to change groups for maximization, then they aren't a good raid leader.

I hear ya. Just something a fellow raid member brought up the other day. Thanks for pointing that out.

But I think the most important thing you pointed out is what I bolded. If people aren't willing to change groups for maximization, then they aren't a good raid leader.
    I totally agree with that statement. As I am new to the guild, and still on trial, I don't speak up enough. (Anyone looking for a Disc Priest and DK-DPS, Currently 11/12 Normal 25. I know Shameless Plug).

I was running my own guild, but lost quite a few people in the expansion (enough to not properly do 10 mans), I was the Guild Master and Healing Leader, so I made sure that groups were setup properly for the best effectiveness possible.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

For question number 2, I don't know if it's 25 or 10man, or if you're dpsing down or kiting the adds. But I would really recomend holy. For one good reason, Body and Sould could save your raid many times.
    Happy troll since 2005

I totally agree with that statement. As I am new to the guild, and still on trial, I don't speak up enough. (Anyone looking for a Disc Priest and DK-DPS, Currently 11/12 Normal 25. I know Shameless Plug).

I was running my own guild, but lost quite a few people in the expansion (enough to not properly do 10 mans), I was the Guild Master and Healing Leader, so I made sure that groups were setup properly for the best effectiveness possible.
    I sent you a PM

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Markofcain View Post
    1. I would like to get some insight on which meta gem is better for healing bc right now im using the spirit/3% heal crit. I have seen kind of a mix on which one people are using. Idk if it is mainly which stat is needed or if the int one is just all around better.

2. my guild has just recently started working on magmaw and i was curious which spec is better for this fight. Most of the time our healing comp is holy pally, resto druid/ resto shaman, and me. I have only tried it as disc but with the raid dmg that is going out if holy would be a better choice on this fight.

I understand that i still have some pieces of gear that need to be replaced so if you ( trolls ) feel the need to post plz dont waste our time. For those of you that think a simple link to ej is all thats need you can also feel free to not waste my time. I posted here for a reason.

Thanks for the input.

Prefix-US Velen
    1. The intellect meta gem is currently best since it provides more regen through Rapture which is so worth it. For holy it's better as well due to a bit more throughput but as well mana from replenishment + shadowfiend/hymn of hope. the spirit gem doesn't provide that much regen overall really.

2. Doesn't really matter too much it's more about predicting the damage and timing your heal. The general rotation for magmaws abilities that you'll have to worry about comes in: x3 lava spew ( single target spit ) x1 AoE damage -- Pillar of flame Rinse and repeat. All you have to do is consult with your other healers. That if you're assigned to tank healing and let shaman + paladin take care of the raid then just stack in the melee. That way if you have enough range, you won't need to move much at all and can focus on your assignment as well assist your other healers if needed.

3. The penance buff is and should be used on: a person with x3 grace stacks or weakened soul OR if you need to get someone's HP up quickly, or get your Grace stacks up on your MT. But keeping penance on CD all the time is not worth it, predict the damage, judge your heals based on that.

There was some discussion among healers in my guild claiming they could attain better regen through the old int+chance to restore mana meta rather than 2% meta, though I believe they werent calculating in replen/CDs based off % mana in comparing the mana from proc vs 2% mana... the 54+2% is superior, correct?

Thanks for the input.

Prefix-US Velen
    1) Int + Mana
    2) While I'm currently MS Holy, ignore what meters say and go with the spec you are most comfortable with on this fight. On one hand, Holy is great for the major AoE healing you can put out, but on the other hand, if you time your PW:B and some bubble spam with your AoE healing, you will do just as much healing and help your other healers mana by conserving damage on this fight. Work with both specs and switch as needed on the fight. Anything with large amounts of damage taken, such as crackles on Nef would be great to use a PW:B as well.
    3) Penance is always good to use on the tanks, or if you need that quick heal on a low raider. It will especially be worth he GCD when you get your 4 piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    There was some discussion among healers in my guild claiming they could attain better regen through the old int+chance to restore mana meta rather than 2% meta, though I believe they werent calculating in replen/CDs based off % mana in comparing the mana from proc vs 2% mana... the 54+2% is superior, correct?
    Well, no. The old meta does outweigh the new one, but not by much, and only from a mana point of view.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Thanks for the input.

Prefix-US Velen

1) 54 int 2% mana meta > all for healing

2) Either spec works fine, it's how you play and also depends on what you have in the group. If you are doing 25 mans, if you don't have a disc priest you should. If you do, then stay holy.

3) Penance is good for topping someone off who isn't terribly low on health, it may not be the best emergency heal you have. But it's still cheap mana wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Well, no. The old meta does outweigh the new one, but not by much, and only from a mana point of view.
    Even when you calculate Hymn of Hope + Sfiend... and even replenishment?