Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomhvk View Post
    I am currently at work feeling under the weather. The fact is im not going to waste a sick day unless its really nessescary, blame the rules not the people
    What this guy said. Just because someone's coughing, you want them to stay at home?

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Irritation View Post
    In some countries (like America) you can't actually take off the days you need, because you're not given sick days, or the amount you're given is insufficient.

Other developed nations actually care about their workers and their health, and realize that a day off for one sick employee translates in to less days off later for the sick employees that one person infected by coming in to work.
    LOL!!! I'm glad you know everything about America there champ. In fact I'm pretty sure my place of work offers more Sick, Personal, and Vacation time then most jobs anywhere.....period. Oh and my job is in America. It's has to do with the corporation or company you work for, your country can only set minimal guidelines for them to follow.

If someone joins us one morning and is obviously sick but does not want to use their sick day or wants to show how good of a worker-bee they are, I will call them into my office and talk with them.
    99% of the time, there is something they can take home and work on, so I send them home but do I do not take away their sick day (as long as they finish their at home project).
    I will call them that evening and see if they can return. If they can't or are even more sick, I give them the option of taking sick days or I send more work for them to do at home.
    I can't risk one person getting half the office sick and the virus working it's way through us over 6 weeks or more.

In some countries (like America) you can't actually take off the days you need, because you're not given sick days, or the amount you're given is insufficient.

Other developed nations actually care about their workers and their health, and realize that a day off for one sick employee translates in to less days off later for the sick employees that one person infected by coming in to work.
    I am American, but I bet you could tell from my Nazi management style.
    You sound ridiculously ignorant.
    Last edited by Jesusatan; 2011-02-15 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidenreich View Post
    LOL!!! I'm glad you know everything about America there champ. In fact I'm pretty sure my place of work offers more Sick, Personal, and Vacation time then most jobs anywhere.....period. Oh and my job is in America. It's has to do with the corporation or company you work for, your country can only set minimal guidelines for them to follow.
    As I'm an American citizen in a service industry, who gets absolutely zero paid days off for sick leave, I think I know plenty. It's really a simple comparison, based on what's mandated by a nation for their workers.

For instance, America is the only developed nation in the world who doesn't mandate that employers give their employees ANY time off. For anything. So, that you get that from your employer is purely a luxury.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ave_by_country

For instance, America is the only developed nation in the world who doesn't mandate that employers give their employees ANY time off. For anything. So, that you get that from your employer is purely a luxury.

The government does not dictate what rules I set for my company or any other. In my opinion they should not.
    Don't like the conditions of your job? Better yourself and get a better job or just find a different employer.
    We do have social programs to help if your in a dire situation.
    Don't blame the government because they don't tell what employers can and can't do, you picked the job knowing the conditions. Blame yourself.
    Last edited by Jesusatan; 2011-02-15 at 03:57 PM.

Deleted
    I think I read some numbers somewhere (hows that for reference!) that stated you were better off staying home getting better, since going to work being actually sick would pull down your effective work to such levels that it wouldn't make up for the longer recovery time needed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Please don't turn this into flaming each other or various countries. There are differences in philosophy between countries, and you're welcome to discuss that, but don't take it to a personal level.

I think the reasonable time to take sick days varies. If she's got an extended cold and it's already been a few days, it's possible that she's not even contagious anymore. On the other hand, I have a coworker who ends up making everybody miserable whenever she's sick because she starts yelling at everyone -- definitely not fun to have around.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I'm an American citizen in a service industry, who gets absolutely zero paid days off for sick leave, I think I know plenty. It's really a simple comparison, based on what's mandated by a nation for their workers.

I love how it's just a straight up "none".

Don't go into closed places where you will be in the close vicinity of other people when you have a contagious ailment, not only is it common courtesy not to spread sickness to other people, it's just better for everyone concerned including yourself that you stay at home. Recovery from an illness is sped up by rest - doctors don't prescribe it for no reason.

Let's get real here too, someone's health and suffering is more more important than some report or whatever.
    "The truth, my goal."

One of my chinese colleagues wears a face-mask to work when he's feeling a bit ill. When he's actually sick he takes time off, but when he feels he's fine to work but might infect other people, his face mask stops him exhaling germs around the office.

Deleted

So glad I live in Belgium where people get offdays and sickdays. Only downside of living in Belgium is the amount of money one needs to return to the Social Security & to taxes(total amount of 41% of your total income). The money for Social Security gotta come from somewhere

Point is, either you get a lot of money for work with no sick/offdays or ... you pick one where you need to return a large percentage to the state, but have social security. Personally I prefer the second.

Guess yeah it really depends on your works policy. I've worked for companies that don't allow ANY sick time. ie: you call in sick because you don't wanna spread something around well You better be looking for a new job on your day off. It's really backwards minded, but thats the employment system for some companies these days.
    Thankfully now that I work in a hospital they fully encourage me to take time off if I'm sick. Something about immuno-comprimised patients getting sick and dying I guess
    Beauty now spawns with only two pups in Heroic difficulty. Not to worry though, the missing pup has been adopted by a wonderful, if not insane family.

I'm glad that Blizzard cares about the little things...

the guy i share my office with never ever goes off sick, he could be close to dying from some tropical disease and he'd still come into the office

the amount of times i've caught bugs off of him is beyond ridiculous, so yes, it is inconsiderate to your colleagues to come into work when you are very obviously sick. you dont get certificates for 100% attendance at work, that shit only happens at school and whilst i appreciate having a strong work ethic, you need to know where to draw the line.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    pfft I never miss work if i can walk I'm going no way I lose vacation days because I'm a little under the weather.

My old job didn't offer sick days and if you called in sick, even if it was just for one day, you had to have a doctors note when you got back. So not only would you miss a day without pay, you would also have to pay to go to the doctor, and nobody there had health insurance. Needless to say, if anybody got sick there, including myself, we still went to work. Glad I work for my self now.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    this is called "feel bad for me/I work harder and deserve a raise or promotion over you because I come into work even though I'm sick." these people need to go back to school and get a real F#$king job.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

umm we get sick/vacation days in the US the amount is up to the employer..

Deleted
    Real workers don't whine about a little flu.

"Go to work sick, take days off when you want them."
    "I heard Shadowmourne procs naked ladies..."
    The rapture took my paladin - May 21, 2011
    In a recent online survey, 100% of the population uses the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Real workers don't whine about a little flu.
    No, they just spread it to everyone else thanks to their misplaced pride.
    "The truth, my goal."

Some people just can't afford to miss work =\