Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    boomkin shud not be tanking ony. u r wasting ur healers time, effort and mana trying to keep him up. adds need to kited by a mage or sumthing like a ret pally, frost dk or feral dps going bear.

A thing I haven't been seen mentioned is that if you position Ony and Nef as "tangents" so to speak on each side of the circled room, and then stack up on Nef, you do not take tail swipes from Onyxia anymore. I'm not sure if it has been changed lately, but the range is/used to be huge. Tail swipe + electrocute is death unless you got a damage reduction or overgear the encounter.

An electrocute alone should hit for 103-106k before resistance (and you DO have a shaman giving nature res, either through totem or glyphed healing stream, do you?) and should be survivable by anyone provided the necessary quality of gear needed for this encounter.

From a restoration shaman POV, the fight usually goes like this:
    * Warrior tank picks up Onyxia, takes her to the very right of the room.
    * CC some adds, let rest just run rampant until they fall over.
    * Paladin tank picks up Nef, tanks on the other side of the circle. I give him Earth Shield and a riptide, then reposition totems there for resistance so the priest healer can heal him alone until Ony is low enough.
    * DPS Onyxia down to 15-20%, leave tank, a DK (much survivability for himself) and Holy pala there.

So far, it seems you have things going well. And then comes the part you may struggle with.

* Dps Nefarian down, audibly announcing his HP every 2-3%. Stack in a pile as far as humanly possible away from Onyxia (which is on top of Nef). Electrocutes should be the only damage you take from now on. I provide healing rain and chain-heal spam, and also help out keeping the Onyxia-healer topped with hots, as he's still taking occasional tail swipes.
    * After the second electrocute I run to the middle and put down mana tide. This gives the healers enough mana for phase 2 and it's ready again after a few seconds in phase 3. Then reposition totems to my current platform and get ready for phase 2.

Some random pointers:
    * Focus on fixing things that instantly kills you first and foremost. It may be a complex chain of events that lead to it, but it is likely to happen again and you want to have an option to counter it. Positioning and turning of Onyxia is far more important than adds draining some extra healer mana for instance. If you can't make everything right from the start, at least do the important things right. Rest comes with practice.
    * Bandages/Healthstones. They help a *lot*. Every dps/tank should be bandaging when they are waiting by their pillar before the lava rises.
    * If electrocutes in P1 kills you because of tail swipe positioning or spread out groups, then down Ony and force an early P2. No shame in doing all electrocutes in P3, but it is arguably harder to kite the adds then. This is also a good way to practice the phases you struggle with.
    * Paladin healers with RF are good add attractors for P1 + P3, and is a good companion for any add tank in that phase.

Deleted
    We did it like this (with a similiar raid setup)

Tanks: Warr, DK
    DPS: Feral, spriest, rogue, retri, mage
    Healers: sham, priest, druid

DK tanks onyxia
    Warr tanks nef
    Ferald ruid picks up the adds and keeps them centered between ony and nef.
    It is important to not spread out, stand behind ony in a straight line to nef, that way the lightning discharge doesnt hit.

We keep the retri on ony at all times, this way we get two crackles and push phase 2 at about 72% on nef.

Get two crackles in phase 2 and push phase 3.

Keeping nef quite centered in the room with dk tanking
    Warrior kites in the outern edges of the room, we have our priest healing him.
    = WIN.

Took us about 13 tries with this tactic with a few wipes 1-15%

Jesus guys, i didn't say the boomy was tanking Ony!? I said he has a TANK O/S and he's tanking him as a tank or BEAR if it makes it easier for you... Sorry but i've read about 8 posts in this thread with people saying "Why's the boomkin tanking Ony!?" And in regards to our Warrior pulling 12-13k, i'm stating that he's pulling this even after he's kited the adds by himself. The other 5 DPS are pulling anything from 14 to 20k with the tanks pulling about 8 or above.

Thanks for all the genuine replies and thanks for reading the whole post. The paint picture actually has helps alot and i'll be using a lot of the advice given within the thread. Greatly appreciated

We killed him last week with a third tank. He was a bear and still did 9k overall dps. The phase 3 kiting was messy and we still got him. With good kiting we would have had a full extra minute to dps.

I was one of those "WHY IS THE BOOMKIN TANKING" ppl. I understood that he was off spec bear tanking, but he should be your top dps or top 2 at least. Boomkins pull rediculous numbers in that fight. Others that actually thought the boomkin was tanking ony, why dont you go find a nice fps and settle down a little.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr420 View Post
    I was one of those "WHY IS THE BOOMKIN TANKING" ppl. I understood that he was off spec bear tanking, but he should be your top dps or top 2 at least. Boomkins pull rediculous numbers in that fight. Others that actually thought the boomkin was tanking ony, why dont you go find a nice fps and settle down a little.
    On a progress kill you don't really want the moonkin pulling big numbers. Our best dps comes when owls are able to freely multidot and starfall taking advantage of starsurge glyph, which you don't really want them doing in this encounter if you are already struggling for control.

Deleted
    I recorded our first Nef kill a few months back. You can see how we handle P1 pretty well.
    Can't see anything of the P3 kiting though, I was tunneling dps in P3 to much to look around for the kiter.

Our tactic has been mostly the same for months now, just optimizing a bit.

Ony tank: Feral
    Nef tank: DK
    Add tank: dps war (dps gear and spec)

Adds are mostly easy because *nobody else touches them* till they're well and good on their killspot. We varied a bit with CC on our tries, but cooldowns turned out to be plenty for our war to survive. I drop a Shadow Fury sometimes in the final seconds but it's not needed.

@Oggy - I disagree with you on that point in 2 different ways:
    1. On our first kills in my guild i used starfall when the adds came out, so that the tanks could grab the stray adds off me in a single taunt and it was fine, popping barkskin if they got close but that doesnt usually happen. Then i used it a couple times through out the 3rd phase so if the tank died i was 2nd on aggro and could extend the kiting 20-30 sec with typhoon and sprint.

2. You want the squeez the most dps out of all your raiders on any first kill because the less time it takes to kill it the less chance you have to screw something up.

Deleted
    we did the fight with 2 prot pallys and a disc priest. this makes the fight a lot easier, since you can do a crackle-rotation of 2x divine guardian and also pwd: barrier for the group in p3. with 2 crackles in p1 and one in p2, this fitted almost exactly that just one crackle came through without anything up, the 30% crackle where we popped heroism to compensate. for your tanks, the tb trinket is perfect for this fight. they should have either a cd or the tb trinket ready for each crackle. nature resistance also helps to lower the damage even more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr420 View Post
    @Oggy - I disagree with you on that point in 2 different ways:
    1. On our first kills in my guild i used starfall when the adds came out, so that the tanks could grab the stray adds off me in a single taunt and it was fine, popping barkskin if they got close but that doesnt usually happen. Then i used it a couple times through out the 3rd phase so if the tank died i was 2nd on aggro and could extend the kiting 20-30 sec with typhoon and sprint.
    That ONLY works if it's a paladin tank; most guilds in 10m use a mage/dk/warrior for the kiting. it's really not a habit you want to get into.

2. You want the squeez the most dps out of all your raiders on any first kill because the less time it takes to kill it the less chance you have to screw something up.
    Not really on nefarian; it's just a tank and spank with a heavy control element. They are struggling on the control element anyway, it'd just make it worse. I'm the best dps (moonkin) in our guild, and our first kill I was on my dk tank, so it's really not a dps race.

---------- Post added 2011-04-23 at 01:50 PM ----------

Btw, one way you can do this is simply to burn through p1 and p2. Use the ony tank to tank both ony and the adds, and simply burn down onyxia hard. P2, burn down constructs. p3, do your thing.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bordon0702 View Post
    This is how my raid does nef.

-Holy paly with righteous fury, and mage kite the adds around. Holy paly fears one of the adds, and since you have a priest you can keep one perma shackled. This leaves you with only 4 adds to deal with assuming they stay cc'ed. Have paly get threat on all of them you take a few hits as a holy paly at first. To kite use holy wrath to stun, then mage can do frost novas, and ring of frost. Usually by the time they are out of ring of frost holy wrath and frost novas will be up again to cc. That should pretty much give you enough time to get them down.

- When nef lands we have all dps except for a shadow priest switch to nef and dps. Get at least past 80% then if you need to switch back to ony do so either way pushing into phase 2 after 80 is ideal
    This is exactly what we do as well... you can watch video of one of our kills at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCC9ECPBB-U

But to me mate it seems that you have healing problems. No one can die from electrocute if he is toped but if your healers cant manage to top everyone between electrocutes you will struggle alot in p2. Also in p3 electrocutes are hapening more frequently since all are dpsing neff fully

I'm a little confused, i guess I though everyone did it this way. You can position ony in such a way that no one will ever get hit by her tail or her lightning without needing the tank to move.

You place ony right under the area where you jump down. Put her tail into the pillar and her head toward the wall

You can dps Ony over the pillar but won't get tailwhipped and a healer can stand a little to the left or right of the raid and still heal the Ony Tank.

Quote Originally Posted by projectnova View Post
    Quick Notes:
    1. Warriors take much more Damage on Onyxia than Bears, as Onyxia uses her breath a lot more than Nefarian, and Warriors currently lack mitigation against magic damage.

2. We recently killed and frapsed Nefarian 10H, and as you can see we just nuke Onyxia down to 0 in P1, while I tank all the adds + Nef. Onyxia usually dies before all cooldowns (my own, Painsup, whatever else you might have) are over.

Sorry, can't post links yet:
    youtube[dot]com/watch?v=9aNKZF32igI <- Mute if necessary, just watch P1.
    Do the adds "die" in p2?

Deleted
    did you kill it